Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Megazver posted:

Congrats, man!

I mean.... Haven't they played other Choice Of titles? :D

I don't even have any long sequences where people argue about using correct pronouns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In less exciting news, I finally finished brevity quest and stuck it in the Spring Thing this year.

So far it's got a glowing two-and-a-half stars on IFDB, which seems about right.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So this year's XYZZY Awards nominations are out:

http://xyzzyawards.org/?p=500

Open Sorcery a game by a goon has been nominated for a bunch of them. Superluminal Vagrant Twin, a fantastic game by CEJ Pacian, which I've playtested, has been nominated for a bunch more.

I decided to play through a bunch of these to actually be able to vote properly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Open Sorcery is great

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
All games here.

So, turns out 16 Ways To Kill A Vampire At McDonalds is by the same goon who wrote Open Sorcery. It's really fun. You're a vampire huntress, who just wants a burger after a night of vampire slaying... and there's one right there in McD and he's obviously preparing to snack on the adorable teenage cashier. Not cool, yo. It's one of those IF games where there is a lot of endings to reach in a relatively few moves, specifically sixteen here, and you're trying to see all of them. This time, it's a puzzley Twine game, which I always like.

Blue Cactus Motel is a Twine about a weird, if not too threatening motel that tempts people into staying forever as a metaphor for the end of adolescence and having to grow up or whatever. It's.... okay? Didn't do much for me. I mostly liked the neon CSS on the hyperlinks.

Foo Foo. To quote: "Someone's been bopping the field mice on the head, and only Good Fairy, Senior Detective can find out who." The author took a nursery rhyme which I was entirely unfamiliar with, and turned it into this, uh, fairy noir mystery game. It's a trad parser game, not too complicated, well written and funny, a few clever puzzles. I enjoyed it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
After reading this thread, I've decided to get back into IF. It's been a long time since I've played a good text adventure but I played most of the Infocom and Legend Entertainment games back in the day.

I'm specifically looking for games that are available on iOS. I liked 9:05 but wrestling that parser was annoying. I'm really liking Choice of Robots and I'm trying to figure out how to get all the different achievements.

What are some other good iOS ones?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
The Sorcery! series and 80 Days from inkle studios are pretty good. Tin Man Games has a few gamebook adaptations, of which my favourite is To Be or Not to Be. Choice of Games is a perennial contender, but their quality varies widely. There's a couple that take advantage of the iOS format like Lifeline, Device 6, Able Black or Mr. Robot:151exfiltrati0n.ipa that are worth a try.

Also this is stretching the definition a little, but any iOS recommendation list isn't complete without King of Dragon Pass.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

...! posted:

After reading this thread, I've decided to get back into IF. It's been a long time since I've played a good text adventure but I played most of the Infocom and Legend Entertainment games back in the day.

I'm specifically looking for games that are available on iOS. I liked 9:05 but wrestling that parser was annoying. I'm really liking Choice of Robots and I'm trying to figure out how to get all the different achievements.

Stuff by Inkle and Choice Of, yeah. There is a lot of awesome parser IF, but I'd definitely play those on a PC.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

...! posted:

Most of the Infocom games are on iOS, as well - bundled as Lost Treasures of Infocom. It's free to download, but you have to pay 3 bucks for each genre bundle, or 10 bucks for all of them, plus a buck each for Invisiclues or maps. I have it - the parser is pretty good at guessing what you're typing, from what I remember, but it was kinda annoying handling all that text on my tiny phone screen.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I hugely enjoyed playing Hadean Lands on iOS, but yeah, it involves typing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This year's XYZZY Awards winners!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

...! posted:

Andrew Plotkin's Hadean Lands.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Inadequately posted:

The Sorcery! series and 80 Days from inkle studios are pretty good. Tin Man Games has a few gamebook adaptations, of which my favourite is To Be or Not to Be. Choice of Games is a perennial contender, but their quality varies widely. There's a couple that take advantage of the iOS format like Lifeline, Device 6, Able Black or Mr. Robot:151exfiltrati0n.ipa that are worth a try.

Also this is stretching the definition a little, but any iOS recommendation list isn't complete without King of Dragon Pass.

There doesn't appear to be anything called "To Be or Not to Be" on the App Store. Device 6 is an old favorite of mine but I think calling it IF might be pushing it a bit.

I've actually played the first three Lifeline games and was kinda disappointed. I get what they're going for. It's a good concept but the execution's pretty poor. The biggest problem with all of them is the lack of audio notifications, which is a pretty necessary thing for immersion. Can individual apps do audio notifications?

Other than that, the biggest problem with the first one is the endgame. The whole point of the game is that it's played in two or three minute spurts. But then the endgame is like a solid thirty to sixty minutes, which is exhausting when you just want a quick session. And almost none of your choices during the endgame matter; he just ignores you and does his own thing regardless. It's frustrating.

The second is just weird and completely unrelated. The third was a direct sequel to the first and seemed like they had it figured out... but then I beat it in under two days. ...what? Why would a game with those mechanics be so short? Misses the point completely.

I'll try the rest of the games you and everyone else have mentioned. I may have been unclear: I'm fine with text parsers. I specifically hated 9:05's parser because it's extremely limited and seems to recognize very few words. Trying to figure out the exact words it wanted me to use was pretty frustrating.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

...! posted:

If you like Choicescript games, I recommend giving Sabres of Infinity (and its sequel, Guns of Infinity) a try.

Feast of Burden posted:

De Baron (The Baron) was my introduction to text adventures. It redefined the way I looked at making choices in pretty much any interactive storytelling media. I'm not sure if anyone else feels the same way, but I still haven't recovered from whatever it did to me.
De Baron was the stuff of nightmares like no other.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I was really getting into this... but you need the Compendium book to progress.

As an Australian, this is unfortunate.

Oh, yeah, a year later, but I got the Compendium book for the Ice-Bound Concordance. It's really cool and I recommend buying it if you like IF. I loved my playthrough with the book.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, yeah, a year later, but I got the Compendium book for the Ice-Bound Concordance. It's really cool and I recommend buying it if you like IF. I loved my playthrough with the book.

Thank you for reminding me about this game - I bought the book like a year ago and then promptly forgot about it. Gonna play it this weekend!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The interview for Choice of the Cat pointing out that it has the most words of any Choice of Games story yet (though there are longer Hosted Games) is kind of hilarious.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Hey, thread.

I said I'd mention when my hosted game was released. It was about a week ago, and I didn't see that this thread had dropped back in my bookmarks.

Missed this earlier, but that's awesome. Was the whole thing a good experience for you, and are you planning on working with them again?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Missed this earlier, but that's awesome. Was the whole thing a good experience for you, and are you planning on working with them again?

Yeah, it was a pretty good experience. Pretty painless, too. Payments come on time and they're good about all that post-release stuff.

I want to give pitching an idea to them under their Choice label a try (got some big ideas that have benefitted hugely from making Paradigm City) but I'm just taking a break for a bit while I also build up some additional experience with the web serial I'm doing (link's in my avatar!) I'll probably pitch early next year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In my experience Choice Of Games are really cool. They contacted me out of the blue a while back asking if I wanted to be on the writing team for a game (the main author was one of my literally tens of fans :j: ) and the whole process was fantastic. I really want to make my own game with them if I ever have the time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
IFComp 2017 started. 80 games have been submitted, a new record for the contest; a fund has been set up for prizes and got over $6000 donations; and you can send anonymous feedback to authors this year.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Megazver posted:

IFComp 2017 started. 80 games have been submitted, a new record for the contest; a fund has been set up for prizes and got over $6000 donations; and you can send anonymous feedback to authors this year.

I really suggest everyone who reads this to check out A Beauty Cold and Austere! It has an interesting structure, a quite imaginative world and it is actually incredibly educational. I might be
a bit biased due to being a mathematician, but I promise you it's worth the time. And it's mostly just basic stuff, so you wont need a masters degree.
Also there are some awful great math puns hidden in there.

But you may want to use the hints or the walkthrough sometimes. Some of those puzzles are a bit obtuse.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 2, 2017

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Megazver posted:

Eat Me is really well-written. It's also really gross, in so many different ways. It's actually impressive in the scope of its depravity.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

are there any games that allow you to >give the finger

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

where the red fern gropes posted:

are there any games that allow you to >give the finger

>I understand you as far as wanting to give the finger. Who do you want to give the finger to?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

>You are not carrying the finger.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

>gently caress

You suddenly feel less intelligent. [Your intelligence just went down.]

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

>flip the bird

It falls over and squawks angrily. Perhaps the feet should be on the bottom.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

IFComp 2017 results are in

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
http://store.steampowered.com/app/726870/Anchorhead/

Anchorhead is coming to Steam on 31 January, with original illustrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SimonChris posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/726870/Anchorhead/

Anchorhead is coming to Steam on 31 January, with original illustrations.

Anchorhead is pretty good. There was a really good LP here a while back, with original art from the LPer, and he was offered to do the art for this, but IIRC it fell through for varipus reasons. Pretty sure that's the case cause that art is definently not the goon artist's style. Too bad.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://lparchive.org/Anchorhead/

Yeah, it's this one. You're right that the deal fell through, but I am pretty sure the LP was what inspired the author to have the game illustrated.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And Plotkin is releasing something as well:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/714980/Meanwhile_An_Interactive_Comic_Book/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Ryan Veeder's new game, The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening is a fun short puzzler. You're a student at an eldritch university, stuck in a time loop nine turns until a Great Old One eats the universe. It may or may not be your fault. So you try to solve this mini-puzzle or that in nine turns, to get a new spell, then you restart the game and you're back at the start of the time loop, but on that piece of paper in front of you, there's one more spell you can use on a new puzzle now!

It's pretty good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh wow, that's great. I can't read the whole thing though because I've tried like 4 times to beat that game and I always get stuck, which annoys me because it's one of the least obtuse IF games, and certainly the least obtuse one I've ever gotten stuck on.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Megazver posted:

Ryan Veeder's new game, The Lurking Horror II: The Lurkening is a fun short puzzler. You're a student at an eldritch university, stuck in a time loop nine turns until a Great Old One eats the universe. It may or may not be your fault. So you try to solve this mini-puzzle or that in nine turns, to get a new spell, then you restart the game and you're back at the start of the time loop, but on that piece of paper in front of you, there's one more spell you can use on a new puzzle now!

It's pretty good.

This works on my phone.

I'm playing IF on my phone, I cannot express to you how goddamned happy this makes me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RickVoid posted:

This works on my phone.

I'm playing IF on my phone, I cannot express to you how goddamned happy this makes me.

I think he might patch this so that the abbreviated spell names are saved across restarts, so you might want to put off playing it for a day or two, maybe. I hated typing that poo poo in over and over, I can't imagine doing it on a phone.

Maybe play Superluminal Vagrant Twin instead for now, it's a dope sandbox open world space adventurer simulator.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
That would be a good patch, yes. I've found 6 words thus far, two of which I have yet to find a practical use for and one of which appears to be of dubious use only. Also that two of the spells do a thing when cast together? A possibly useless thing.

I also just got the joke in the Eldest Horrors name. Well done.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RickVoid posted:

That would be a good patch, yes. I've found 6 words thus far, two of which I have yet to find a practical use for and one of which appears to be of dubious use only. Also that two of the spells do a thing when cast together? A possibly useless thing.

I also just got the joke in the Eldest Horrors name. Well done.

There are... eleven words, I believe. At least, that's what I have written down in my notebook. If you get stuck as I did, make sure to check the foundation pit north of the Alchemy Lab building. I thought it was scenery for the longest time, until I got stuck hard and started just examining everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Megazver posted:

There are... eleven words, I believe. At least, that's what I have written down in my notebook. If you get stuck as I did, make sure to check the foundation pit north of the Alchemy Lab building. I thought it was scenery for the longest time, until I got stuck hard and started just examining everything.

Thanks for the hint, it's the only place I haven't really looked at yet/where progress is potentially not blocked off?

• Locked thread