Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Potsticker posted:

For what reason? Unless you're making very small projects with a minimal amount of files, I can't imagine any sort of programming evironment that not using an IDE wouldn't save you heaps of time.

I program most of my time in C. It's my favorite language, but I've never found an IDE that didn't want to make me tear my hair out. Most are either platform specific or require the use of some arcane build system. Clion, Pycharm's c cousin for example uses Cmake and it has the most complicated and verbose system I have ever seen. So I learned how to use Make, the most common arcane weird build system. I'm really happy I did, since I know how to use it I can build on systems that have no or few IDE options like BSDs or embedded.

You get used to not using an IDE really quickly. It's just a text editor with things built around it. I either use the Atom text editor on my windows computer or Vim with You Complete Me on my Mac. You Complete Me gives me the wavy red lines and documentation links when I need it, though I generally only use it to find the line I forgot to put a semicolon on.

Potsticker posted:

Also, why push Python? It seems to me there are way better options for beginners that are easier to dive into, yet still offer depth when needed. If the idea is a simple CYOA-style, then there's Twine. Want a structured environment with easy to understand components and a graphical interface, there's RAGS. And if you're okay with a being a little less babied, there's TADS, whose basic form is still very human readable without programming knowledge. Adrift I don't remember too much about, except that I ended up preferring TADS or Inform at the time. Of course, now Inform is a mess of trying to emulate English sentences in it's syntax and last I checked (trying to help a friend debug some IF he had written) the documentation was badly arranged and incomplete.

I'm a little biased here as I am a programmer who has never done IF before. Most of the things you've suggested are built around a core existing Engine. Now what if you want to change how the engine works? Without looking into how those options work, I'm guessing that it isn't possible/easy. Now with a proper programming language like Python, it can be very easy to change how things work in an uncomplicated way.

I chose Python as a language simply because I really liked the look Tale. My list of wants weren't huge, the Library had to be updated often, I did not want to use a platform specific language (eg, like TADS language) and the language it did use had to be easy to work with strings (which is almost all of them). Going through a database of IF engines, Tale looked superb. I was so happy with it!

potatocubed posted:

I was going to say, it looks like the main advantage of Tale is that it lets you learn Python while you tool around on your IF project. Speaking only for myself, I find it a lot easier to learn a new skill when I have a concrete end goal in mind. (I got my first Python experience trying to code a roguelike many years ago.)

Megazver posted:

I like Python as well. I just wouldn't write IF in it, unless if it was for the sake of learning Python.

I hope I can prove to you guys that it can be well worth it to write with a programming language over an existing engine. Not that I'm saying that this is better than existing engines, but that it will be more than just a learning experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
If anyone is interested in using the ChoiceScript system for making a game, I spent a weekend reading through their online manual and tutorials (which are awful and bad and full of lovely advice), and wrote up a list of the various commands and explanations of their usages, often with an example of how it's used. I'll post it below (in code tags because otherwise the forum will interpret some of it as BBcode).

ChoiceScript is an actually good and flexible language that is unfortunately tied to a company that has made some really, really bad games.

code:
Choice of Games ChoiceScript Commands

*choice
Tells the interpreter to prompt a response from the player, from the listed options that follow.

#
Tells the interpreter that the following text string should be treated as a option for the player to click.
Pressing enter (creating a line-break in the code),
tells the interpreter to treat the next line as plain text, displayed in the event that option is chosen.
(Until it encounters the next instruction.)

[b][/b] and [i][/i]
Place around text to set it to bold or italic, respectively.

*finish
Tells the interpreter to close the current scene and move on to the next. By default the command displays a button that
says "Next Chapter" but if you place a text string after the command (EX: *finish The next morning...) will replace it
with your string.

*label <string>
Tells the interpreter treat mark the following block of code using the string following the command.

*goto <string>
Prompts the interpreter to jump to the requested labeled block of code.

*create <variable> <value>
Tells the interpreter to create a named variable, and to assign it a name and a number. The value can also be set to
True or False. Value can also be set to reference another named variable by placing the variable name in the value field
and putting it in quotes (EX: *create variable_2 "variable_1"). Value can be set to the value of another named variable
by puting the variable name in curly braces (EX *create variable_2 {variable_1}).

*set <variable> <value>
Allows you to set a named variable to a new value. Can place a +, -, *, or / in front of the number to add, subtract,
multiply or divide by the requested value. Both set and create can be used to derive new variable from the values of
others.

*if
Used to create a nested if statement. The allows you to check a particular variable and send the player down different
paths dependent on its value. The interpreter recongnizes the following operators: = (equal to), != (not equal to), >
(greater than), < (less than), >= (greater than or equal to), <= (less than or equal to), and, or, not. Also allows you
to compare a text string value in a variable to specific text string. (EX: *if name = "RickVoid") Can be followed up
with *else and *elseif.

*selectable_if 
Tells the interpreter to only allow the player to select the choice that follows if the conditional statement is True.
(EX: *selectable_if name = "RickVoid" #"I'm the bloody author of this mess, I'm writing you out of this story!") The
option will apear in the list, but the player will not be able to select it if the statement is False. Can be used to
give the player hints on how to be able to choose that option. Simply using the *if command will still offer the player
the option if the condition is True, but the player will not see the option if the condition is False.

*hide_reuse, *disable_reuse
Used in the event that you want the player to explore alternate option in a scene, but want to prevent them from using a
choice again. *hide_reuse hides the option, *disable_reuse displays the choice, but won't let the player select it. Can
be placed at the start of each scene to apply the setting to all choices in the scene, allowing individual options to be
toggled with the *allow_reuse command.

*scene_list
Used in startup.txt to create an ordered list of scenes that make up the game. The *finish command tells the game to go
back to this list and start the next scene.

*ending
Used in the final scene (or death scene, or anytime the player has ended or otherwise lost the game) to prompt the
interpreter to insert the "Play Again" menu.

*goto_scene
Used to call a specific scene. Allows you to jump the player to a scene that otherwise does not appear in the scene
list. Allows you to create scenes that may not appear in all games.

Startup.text
The following Commands must appear at the top of this file:
*title (sets the title of the game)
*author (that's you, idiot)
*scene_list
*create (???)

*comment
Allows you write notes in the code that the interpreter will ignore and not display to the player. All text following
the command will be ignored until the interpreter reaches another line break.

*page_break
Tells the game to prompt the player to press a "Next" button before moving on to the next line of code. Typing a text
string after the command (EX: *page_break GET OUT OF THE WAY!) will replace the text in the "Next" button with the
string.

*input_text <variable>
Prompts a text string from the player to proceed, and assigns whatever they put in the box to that variable.

*input_number <value>
Same as above, but only accepts numberical values.

*rand
Sets a variable to a random value. (EX: *rand treasure_roll 1 6. This generates a random integer between 1 and 6.)

${variable}
Allows you to display the value of a certain variable to the player. $!{variable} will capitalize the first letter and
$!!{variable} will capitalize the whole word.

*fake_choice
A bullshit garbage command that allows you to offer the player a list of options to choose from, none of which effect
the story whatsoever, wasting everyone's time. Every choice should make a difference somewhere, or there's no point in
asking for the players input. NEVER loving USE THIS poo poo.

Fairmath
%+ or %-, used with set <variable> <value> commands to prevent a variable's value from going over 100. This should
typically be used when modifying a variable that is being treated as a percentage. Fairmath tells the interpreter to
increase small values and decrease large values much more than to decrease small values and increase large values. Value
increases and decreases tend to stall out in the 80's and 20's respectively.

Inserts a specified image file. It is automatically placed centrally, but you can put left or right after the initial
command (EX: *image hello.jpg left) to justify the image left or right.

*line_break
Allows you to place a single line break in your displayed text. By default the interpreter will recognize a paragraph
break but will glue single break text together.

*setref
This one is complicated. It lets you assign a value to a variable using another variable that has the first variable as
its value. (EX: The value for variable Virtue_1 is set to Honesty (by using command *set Virtue_1 "Honesty", the quotes
tell it that the value is actually a variable), so we can just use the variable Virtue_1, using the *setref command, to
set values to variable Honesty, when Virtue_1 could have been set to Courage instead, preventing you from having to
write a dozen if statements to cover all possible variable values for Virtue_1. Useful, but requires a ridiculous
explanation like this. Choice of Games did it poorly.)

*stat_chart
Creates a table of stats (a list of certain variables), that displays when the player clicks the "Show Stats" button.
This command is used in the choicescript_stats.txt file. Placing either the word text or percent will display the value
of the variable as either text or a percentage (although percentage only works if the value IS a numeral).
(EX:
*stat_chart
	text name
	percent leadership
	percent strength)
How you type the name of the variable being called is how it will appear to the player, letting you captalize a variable
that you didn't internally. You can also have the game display a different name for the variable by writing the name you
want it to use after the actual variable name.
(EX:
*stat_chat
	text name Apellation
	percent leadership Juice
	percent strength Fist)
Stats can also be displayed as opposed pairs, even if we are only using one variable for both values.
(EX:
*stat_chart
	opposed_pair Brutality
		Finesse
	opposed_pair Cunning
		Honor
	opposed_pair Disdain
		Vigilance)
Or, if we need to rename the first variable:
(EX:
*stat_chart
	opposed_pair attack_style
		Brutality
		Finesse
	opposed_pair virtue
		Cunning
		Honor
	opposed_pair give_a_fuck
		Disdain
		Vigilance)
You can make the title displayed for a variable... variable.
(EX:
*temp title "Strength"
*if poetic
    *set title "Thews and Sinews"
*stat_chart
    percent strength ${title})
If the variable poetic is set to true, then the Strength variable will display as Thews and Sinews. If false, it will
just display as strength. Can be used to hide what a particular stat is actually tracking until later, but still show
the player that something is being tracked. You can also use if statement and boolean values to determine whether or not
a particular stat is displayed on the stat chart at all. Multiple stat charts can be displayed by using the *page_break
command (to view them one after the other)(LAZY OPTION) or the *choice command (to allow the player to jump to a
specific stat screen)(BEST OPTION). Can combine the *choice command option with the *gosub command to allow the player
to jump to any stat screen from any other stat screen.
*tables slightly less broken.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 17, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RickVoid posted:

If anyone is interested in using the ChoiceScript system for making a game, I spent a weekend reading through their online manual and tutorials (which are awful and bad and full of lovely advice), and wrote up a list of the various commands and explanations of their usages, often with an example of how it's used. I'll post it below (in code tags because otherwise the forum will interpret some of it as BBcode).

ChoiceScript is an actually good and flexible language that is unfortunately tied to a company that has made some really, really bad games.

Their new games are pretty good. Unfortunately, you only get 25% of the revenue of the game they didn't pay you to write, so if you want to write something big and sell it, you're better off using something else.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lord Windy posted:

I'm a little biased here as I am a programmer who has never done IF before. Most of the things you've suggested are built around a core existing Engine. Now what if you want to change how the engine works? Without looking into how those options work, I'm guessing that it isn't possible/easy. Now with a proper programming language like Python, it can be very easy to change how things work in an uncomplicated way.

Okay, for someone with a background in programming I'd definitely suggest checking out TADS. There's nothing wrong with using your language of choice of course, but I do feel at the very least you can get a wider perspective and not only see how things are done elsewhere, but you may find a feature set that already fulfills all your needs. How TADS and Inform both handle their parsers was certainly interesting for me, at least. That tends to be the most complicated thing in an IF engine anyway.

Also, as another Python alternative, I've played around with Ren.py a little from the perspective of making CYOA type game and had success making a complex combat system. It was an interesting exercise at least.

RickVoid posted:

Thanks for this writeup, it does look interesting and it answers some questions I had about how the Choice Of games were scripted.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Potsticker posted:

Thanks for this writeup, it does look interesting and it answers some questions I had about how the Choice Of games were scripted.

Their tutorials are similarly enlightening. The section on fakechoice almost literally says "use this to artificially pad out your game" and it down plays using the more advanced functions "because the player will neither notice nor care". Really explains the design philosophy behind some of the games their studio put out.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Potsticker posted:

I haven't checked it out yet, but I heard Ink is very similar. If you're someone who can use Unity, it's probably a better option.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Megazver posted:

I haven't checked it out yet, but I heard Ink is very similar. If you're someone who can use Unity, it's probably a better option.

Yeah, if you read the user guide for Ink it looks like it works a lot like Choicescript. You just have to write your own front-end and sell it yourself.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RickVoid posted:

Their tutorials are similarly enlightening. The section on fakechoice almost literally says "use this to artificially pad out your game" and it down plays using the more advanced functions "because the player will neither notice nor care". Really explains the design philosophy behind some of the games their studio put out.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but from especially their early catalog it's clear that they're not interested in making the digital equivalent of Fabled Lands or anything. I will say (again?) that Mecha Ace and Thieves' Gambit are the best I've seen from them in terms of how much your choices actually matter and help shape the story. They also seem to lack the lovely types of choices that don't actually move the story in the direction the text indicates.

Megazver posted:

Quite familiar with Unity, but not with Ink, I'll check it out. Thanks.

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 17, 2016

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Potsticker posted:

I wish I could say I was surprised, but from especially their early catalog it's clear that they're not interested in making the digital equivalent of Fabled Lands or anything. I will say (again?) that Mecha Ace and Thieves' Gambit are the best I've seen from them in terms of how much your choices actually matter and help shape the story. They also seem to lack the lovely types of choices that don't actually move the story in the direction the text indicates.

They have their own house style. They use the Branch and Bottleneck structure instead of an Open World one like Fabled Lands does. That's not really good or bad. That said, I am getting a little tired of it, yes.

Have you played Sorcery? 2 and 3 are a step in the FL direction.

quote:

Quite familiar with Unity, but not with Ink, I'll check it out. Thanks.

http://www.inklestudios.com/ink/

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Megazver posted:

They have their own house style. They use the Branch and Bottleneck structure instead of an Open World one like Fabled Lands does. That's not really good or bad. That said, I am getting a little tired of it, yes.

That link led me to this Twine game which I really enjoyed.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the link.

I did buy Sorcery on my phone, but I didn't really enjoy it at all. I barely got very far in it, I think. Either way I wasn't into it so I never checked out the sequels. FL I mostly mentioned because it's structure as a CYOA that could span an include multiple physical books and have interactions that mattered between them was pretty amazing. Especially since I had a friend who owned one book differently than I did, so we traded a couple of times and have discussions and such.

Looking at your other link, the Quest style is the one I tend to look most favorably on. I mentioned it as a 'hub style' when talking about how I liked I-0's structure before. Branch and Bottleneck stories are sort of annoying if the bottlenecks are events that feel like they are railroading you in ways that don't properly account for how you acted during the branches. Again a sin of most Choice Of games. Honestly though, plotting style doesn't really matter as long as it feels good with the story. Forest of Doom, which is a gamebook I've only played as a digital app has a structure that flows kind of like the Gauntlet, but you're expected to play through it multiple times to figure out which items you need to start with and which paths to take in order to collect the items necessary to win at the end. Described, it sounds rather lame, but it turned out to be fun puzzling out the solution.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

potatocubed posted:

This was fun. I especially like the author's explanation and detail on how the endings are structured.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Potsticker posted:

Thanks for the link.

I did buy Sorcery on my phone, but I didn't really enjoy it at all. I barely got very far in it, I think. Either way I wasn't into it so I never checked out the sequels. FL I mostly mentioned because it's structure as a CYOA that could span an include multiple physical books and have interactions that mattered between them was pretty amazing. Especially since I had a friend who owned one book differently than I did, so we traded a couple of times and have discussions and such.

Looking at your other link, the Quest style is the one I tend to look most favorably on. I mentioned it as a 'hub style' when talking about how I liked I-0's structure before. Branch and Bottleneck stories are sort of annoying if the bottlenecks are events that feel like they are railroading you in ways that don't properly account for how you acted during the branches. Again a sin of most Choice Of games. Honestly though, plotting style doesn't really matter as long as it feels good with the story. Forest of Doom, which is a gamebook I've only played as a digital app has a structure that flows kind of like the Gauntlet, but you're expected to play through it multiple times to figure out which items you need to start with and which paths to take in order to collect the items necessary to win at the end. Described, it sounds rather lame, but it turned out to be fun puzzling out the solution.

Yeah, I specifically mentioned 2 & 3 because they begin to experiment with the structure in those. The first one is a straight-up adaptation of an old-rear end gamebook that's grog as hell, but they start to work their own stuff into the other ones.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
This thread has been eaten by a grue.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Megazver posted:

Yeah, I specifically mentioned 2 & 3 because they begin to experiment with the structure in those. The first one is a straight-up adaptation of an old-rear end gamebook that's grog as hell, but they start to work their own stuff into the other ones.

I started digging more into that blog you linked and it's really quite fantastic. I love these breakdowns of gamebooks complete with flowcharts of their page-by-page structure. There's a lot of good IF articles, too.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
You might also enjoy https://emshort.wordpress.com/

Also, what I've been reading this week:

https://lloydofgamebooks.wordpress.com/2016/02/07/blog-posts-i-read-to-improve-my-gamebook-writing-updated/

http://www.thebrewin.com/blog/entry/the-brewin-guide-to-writing-better-gamebooks

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 17, 2016

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

potatocubed posted:

Magical Makeover was lovely! I ended up playing all the endings and was impressed by the sheer amount (and quality!) of writing for such a short-looking game. I got the cassowary ending first and expected the other endings to just be variations on a theme - instead, they're completely different stories.

Judging by the text at the end, the author is a goon - if anyone knows who they are/if they happen to be reading the thread, I'd be really interested to know whether they have written anything other than the 2 Twine games on IFDB.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
CEJ Pacian released a new game and it's loving rad. Highly recommended.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Two reviews saying it's rad, if my assurances aren't enough (how dare you):

http://cmgroover.tumblr.com/post/141752879821/superluminal-vagrant-twin

https://emshort.wordpress.com/2016/03/27/superluminal-vagrant-twin-cej-pacian/

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That is quite a fun game. I've found a few secret planets which aren't listed anywhere in game. Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Eris and Xyzzy are there any others? My total count by the end was 51.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

This is a really cool game! I'm missing two bounties (Natalya and Yuzo-I) and apparently four planets, though - can anyone help?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Air is lava! posted:

That is quite a fun game. I've found a few secret planets which aren't listed anywhere in game. Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Eris and Xyzzy are there any others? My total count by the end was 51.

Well, if you talk to the twin after you find them they'll tell you the twelve things you need to do to have seen everything.

Jayme posted:

This is a really cool game! I'm missing two bounties (Natalya and Yuzo-I) and apparently four planets, though - can anyone help?

I think this is something I might have had a problem with as well. Minor hint:

There are three instances in the game where you look at the planet name and are supposed to go "hmm, there might also be planets called... oh there is!" The Solar system, of course, is one.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 30, 2016

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Megazver posted:

I think this is something I might have had a problem with as well. Minor hint:

There are three instances in the game where you look at the planet name and are supposed to go "hmm, there might also be planets called... oh there is!" The Solar system, of course, is one.

Thank you so much - (hopefully) found them all, and got all of the achievements!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Pretty good article about the history and evolution of text adventures, past to present.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Emily Short posted:

Adam Cadre’s now-disowned I-0,

Well, that answers my question from earlier.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Potsticker posted:

Well, that answers my question from earlier.

Why did he do so??

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Why did he do so??

If I remember right, it had a lot of very unsavory content in it. As it says, the protagonist was a sexy college girl and I think there was all sorts of sex stuff in it. I never got far in I-O because I'm just that bad at puzzles.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 3, 2016

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

While I think that it's basically the textbook on well-structured and designed IF. I-0 does has some sophomoric pornographic content with cringe-worthy writing if you take certain actions.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So text adventures have two big contests each year. IFComp in the autumn and the Spring Thing which now has games available to play.

Looking at that list, Chandler Groover's game at the very least is probably worth trying, he's been doing great work.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Megazver posted:

Looking at that list, Chandler Groover's game at the very least is probably worth trying, he's been doing great work.

Well... that was a twist I wasn't expecting.

E: Although it's done the usual thing that playing good IF has done and killed my motivation to work on my thing stone dead. Why even try to compete?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

potatocubed posted:

Well... that was a twist I wasn't expecting.

E: Although it's done the usual thing that playing good IF has done and killed my motivation to work on my thing stone dead. Why even try to compete?

Well, if you enjoy creating IF and you can deliver something that's finished, why not compete?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

John F Bennett posted:

Well, if you enjoy creating IF and you can deliver something that's finished, why not compete?

Eh, it's all just the way I process things. In the end:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Zachary Sergi is about nine hours away from releasing another Heroes Rise game on Steam.

:negative:

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Meanwhile, I'm really missing the ability to iterate through unordered arrays (datamaps) in Twine. I'd be tempted to jump to that Python-based system mentioned up-thread but I'm 8000 words in so like hell I'm changing systems now.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

Zachary Sergi is about nine hours away from releasing another Heroes Rise game on Steam.

:negative:

Are they really that bad?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Are they really that bad?

I'm not the kind of person to call anything bad as an overall descriptor. Usually, I can easily find elements I enjoy in every bit of media I read, play or watch. But these are just flat-out bad.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

The low-health-alert-as-paid-DLC* bullshit is still there.

Once I psyche myself up enough to play the loving thing, would you like me to share...highlights? This offer has been rescinded - see below. Read even further below apparently I hate myself thiiiiiiiiis much.

(*There is a bit more and a bit less to it than that. If it's like previous instalments, you can check your health at any time, so dropping extra coin can save you...regularly pushing a few extra buttons. Oh, but it also tells you which option in combat will be the most effective. Basically, you pay to strip away what little gameplay there is.)

Edit: Nope.

Nope.

Should have bought it on Steam for the refund.

There is only one thing you need to know. One.

PRODIGAL'S BACK AND IS IN YOUR loving HEAD

JUST loving UPLOADED HERSELF AS A FREE MECHIP PERSONALITY AND NOBODY BOTHERED TO loving PURGE HER

SHE'S YOUR CLIPPY

...also, your sister is a jellyfish.

VivaLa Eeveelution fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 9, 2016

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The Deviations posted:

The low-health-alert-as-paid-DLC* bullshit is still there.

Once I psyche myself up enough to play the loving thing, would you like me to share...highlights? This offer has been rescinded - see below.

(*There is a bit more and a bit less to it than that. If it's like previous instalments, you can check your health at any time, so dropping extra coin can save you...regularly pushing a few extra buttons. Oh, but it also tells you which option in combat will be the most effective. Basically, you pay to strip away what little gameplay there is.)

Edit: Nope.

Nope.

Should have bought it on Steam for the refund.

There is only one thing you need to know. One.

PRODIGAL'S BACK AND IS IN YOUR loving HEAD

JUST loving UPLOADED HERSELF AS A FREE MECHIP PERSONALITY AND NOBODY BOTHERED TO loving PURGE HER

SHE'S YOUR CLIPPY

...also, your sister is a jellyfish.

i'm sorry that you had to do this, friend

i would have liked to see the 'highlights'

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Maybe later, in that small window of opportunity when my motivation rises and my self-esteem hasn't followed.

B'yeah, the entire attempted emotional climax of the original trilogy was Prodigal dying as a martyr after a life that can be summed up as the Trauma Conga Line trope but since she's Sergi's Rose Tyler he just can't loving let go

Oh, and since your character's an unwilling shapeshifting furry, the bird fetish returns as your first two transformations are a hawk and a chicken.

And things continue to have stupid names. Über's still around in the future...known as Süper. Because superheroes.

...oh god dammit I'm doing it anyway aren't I

E: The story itself pestered me to give it money through the MeChip, adding a paragraph after my rejection pretty much saying that if I die then it's my fault for not giving Choice of Games enough money. And calling attention to the Home page of the app in case I've been manipulated enough to change my mind.

gently caress off, Prodigal.

Oh, this is after a perspective shift where I played some...blind fashion designer/some other job'd person...who seems to be in a cabal and specifically in charge of the primary PC even though said PC doesn't know it except they do because I do, because as a blank slate they are me and I am they.

I may have missed some nuances, if they were there. My eyes glaze over at that boring conspiracy crap, and I've happily sat through 3 seasons of RWBY and Cinder's evil plan of having an evil plan. I can see how full-blown Tumblrinas just skip to the (even more) diverse sexuality options and call it well-written. This is why mainstream representation is important; so we're not so starved that we'll accept anything.

(About that. Instead of - like last trilogy - an arbitrary adherence to the binary within this sexual utopia, the PC's gender is fully customisable. Fully. You can give them their own pronouns and that's definitely not going to be abused in any way, nope.)

VivaLa Eeveelution fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is this a case where the sequels are much worse than the original? I played the first game tonight out of curiosity and didn't think it was too bad. I mean nobody's going to mistake it for subtle or anything, but it didn't seem as bad as the dire warnings. The new game sounds loving terrible though.

On second thought, the diva personal assistant actually was pretty bad, and having a customizable love interest who looks just like a current celebrity is too.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 9, 2016

• Locked thread