Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The very first digitally-mediated game I ever played was Adventure, and it sure is weird to have lived to see a new era commercial text adventure games (speaking of which everybody buy Hadean Lands).

Anyone interested in the history of IF Classic (or computer games in general), I cannot recommend https://www.filfre.net highly enough.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

YEEEEESSSSSSS

OH MY GOD THANK YOU I AM DOWNLOADING EVERYTHING SHE'S MADE

You will not regret that, Emily Short is one of the greats.

IIRC Inform 7 comes packaged with the annotated source of a game she wrote to be an example, called Bronze? Of course since the language is designed to look like english, the source of any of her games can be used as a pretty good example.

E: in one of her games you're a parrot and all you can do is say single words to guide a conversation people are having in the room

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Highblood posted:

Are there any games that fit more into the RPG genre? I'm thinking like a MUD except singleplayer. I've always liked MUDs but they are all severely lacking in story, usually depending on player interaction for actual fun. So any text adventures with stats and equipment and what not?

The Reliques of Tolti-Aph, Kerkerkruip, Magocracy...and also Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom but that's more of a comedy option (ie everyone in this thread should play it).

E: oh poo poo, how could I have forgotten Beyond Zork (play it and find out)

e2: links

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 6, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

What makes a good text adventure vs. a bad one? What do you enjoy doing in a text adventure? I haven't really played any.

Finally have a moment to give this a more substantive answer.

I got into IF sometime in 2002, when I somehow heard about IFComp, one of the two big annual competitions in the field*. I was a little curious, and so I decided to start with the winner of the previous year, All Roads. I recommend this game specifically, and this approach in general. Anything that finishes in the top 5 of IFComp for any of the 20+ years of it's existence is going to be pretty drat good. They won't always be to your particular liking - I've encountered a few frustratingly difficult single-room puzzlers, and some people don't like the more artsy-fartsy word-cloud ones - but they're always going to be well-made, and mis-steps are part of figuring out for yourself what kinds you enjoy. I will say they have a surprising amount of variety, but the basic IF experience is something like Myst or Riven: a silent main character is trapped in a mysterious land of enchantment and clockwork, and explores it trying to Figure Stuff Out.

Which reminds me, The Dreamhold make a very good introduction to the "genre". It was designed to be people's first IF. The author is the guy who most recently wrote Hadean Lands.

More specific recommendations:
  • Slouching Towards Bedlam is like The Difference Engine crossed with It Follows crossed with, uhh, a videogame with multiple endings I guess. Chrono Trigger maybe?
  • Worlds Apart may be my number one choice of all time. It's hardly puzzley at all, but playing it was like interacting with a cool sci-fi novel you'd never heard of.
  • I've mentioned Lost Pig, and Place Under Ground before, but yeah.

quote:

Pig lost! Boss say that it Grunk fault. Say Grunk forget about closing gate. Maybe boss right. Grunk not remember forgetting, but maybe Grunk just forget. Boss say Grunk go find pig, bring it back. Him say, if Grunk not bring back pig, not bring back Grunk either. Grunk like working at pig farm, so now Grunk need find pig.
  • Motherfucking Spider and Web...this one may win the "best twist of all time" award.
*: The other is the XYZZY Awards, which IIRC is open to games which take longer than 2 hours to play. There's some overlap, but they're still all very good.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ah, from the author of amazing games All Roads, Till Death Makes of Monkfish out of Me and the Textfyre joint The Shadow in the Cathedral.

Aaaaand I see that Textfyre closed their doors and put their games out for free. So you can now just download Shadow and Jack Toresal and the Secret Letter, both games so big and good that people* happily paid real dollars for them.

*: not many though

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I think Andrew Plotkin's crazy text-only make-your-own-Myst-Online thing is in Python.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Andrew Plotkin isn't sure what to charge for Hadean Lands on Steam, and wants our comments and opinions.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Emily Short did a short piece a bit like that, Glass. It was just supposed to demo a possible approach to conversation handling in Inform 7. You're a parrot in a drawing room, and can do nothing but speak single words to awkwardly shift the topic of human conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I hugely enjoyed playing Hadean Lands on iOS, but yeah, it involves typing.

• Locked thread