Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

I played this game a few months ago and it was an amazing game, but man was that ending infuriatingly vague. I hate it when authors get all mysterious on you and won't explain their endings because they think it's better for people to come up with their own meaning or whatever. The mechanics of the game were metaphysical and trippy but at the same time extremely internally consistent so i'm sure there was a definite thing that happened and could be explained, but at the same time it was so metaphysical that it's sort of hard to come up with it on your own. The setting was really intriguing though, in a way that's sort of difficult to describe without experiencing it, since the rules of the universe were so different from our own, although internally consistent.

Learning alchemical rituals that all had their own special, internally consistent rules and interactions and then figuring out how to use one in a new way to solve a puzzle was amazing though. One of the neater things was how whenever you performed a ritual, which initially is a sort of a puzzle to figure out but will create some sort of effect that can be modified depending on how you did the ritual (transform one thing into another, cause a specific effect, imbue something with the power to see/do/change something), it was memorized and then whenever you reset (there's a time travel aspect) from then on you could instantly and automatically complete any ritual whenever you wanted with a single command, unless you wanted to change some aspect of it to change the effect slightly (which would then be memorized as a variant). It would even memorize combinations of rituals needed to do something like, say, get a key to unlock a door, so you could just try to walk through the door and it would perform dozens of actions in seconds and skip straight to going through the door.

So, over time, the scale increases from figuring out rituals to figuring out when, where and why to use the huge toolbox of rituals you have that often use up materials that aren't replaceable in such a way as to preserve specific reagents you might need to perform a new ritual to reach a new area and learn more rules for rituals or get more materials for rituals.

Honestly, the game is so bizzare and unique that it's difficult to describe a lot of it without going into multi-paragraph rambling. Best thing I can do is recommend people try it out themselves if they like this sort of mindbending logic.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Megazver posted:

Played through A Study in Steampunk. It's quite good.

This was really surprisingly entertaining.

spiralling into despair after your lover dies, in a moment of weakness eat the life of a mugger, becoming a light-eater that starts hunting down criminals in the slums and eating their souls, becoming a serial killer who loses control of his addiction and starts killing random innocent hobos and beggars and is then hunted down and killed by his own lover, who it turns out had faked his own death, in a tearful standoff made for quite the ending :unsmigghh:

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 11, 2016

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Megazver posted:

My one playthrough so far didn't exactly go that way.

Heh, yeah, you sort of have to go out of your way a little bit for that, but once you start doing it the game gives you one chance to stop and seek help, then reasonable options start becoming greyed out and unselectable as you spiral into insanity.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Choice Of have put out their design outlines on their forum.

Heroes Rise violates just about all of their 'Common Problems'. I wonder how well they actually vet these things or whether the criteria have changed.

I'm not sure I agree with the hard and fast rule that all Choice Of games submitted must let you pick race, gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation regardless of the setting or the premise, and that your cast needs to be as close to 50/50 male/female as possible and have as diverse of a cast as possible unless you're literally in the ancient past where africans might not be found in feudal japan, and if you are in a historical setting where sexism might be a thing you should be able to genderflip the sexism.

While it can work for some styles of CYOA, the more open-ended you /force/ the player character to be the less personality you can actually give the character in your writing and the more generic and flavorless your character can feel. I find a lot of the best CYOA storytelling is a compromise between a completely generic nonperson and a completely fixed preexisting character. Otherwise the CYOA becomes entirely about the world and less about the characters. And making minorities fill a 'mandatory minority' quota comes off as insincere and ends up with just taking a non-minority character and changing their skin color.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Fuschia tude posted:

Oh yeah, I tested the winner. The author is part of my local IF meetup.

I was a bit skeptical at the premise, but this Wizard Sniffer is really clever and charming mechanically. I appreciate how you have to juggle all the clueless characters to interact with the environment while simultaneously helping them defeat each other.

• Locked thread