Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Make it Good is a masterpiece noir whodunnit set in a world that lives on its own, rather than wait for the player to bumble along. A very ambitious piece that nails every goal it set for itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, Ingold is behind 80 Days! That's all the push I needed to get on board with that poo poo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

80 Days chat: I just crossed the North Pole to Gastown. Any particular road I need to take for the remaining journey for it to count as around the world? Going around the other one or something? Doesn't seem like much time left now!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Megazver posted:

I like Python as well. I just wouldn't write IF in it, unless if it was for the sake of learning Python.

With IF you don't have to deal with pygame :barf:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

And that is one oif the reasons Make it Good is the best IF.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I've been on a bit of an Inkle binge and am craving good CYOA recommendations!

I tried a few Choice Of demos, but they left a bit of a meh impression. I don't really know how to properly phrase my concerns, but they felt more like a dating sim (with dating substituted for given game's topic) than a cool story/fun game.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Choice of the Deathless was actually one of the demos I tried, as I like Gladstone's ideas a lot. The demo wasn't the best sell though, as it basically consisted of:
- A lot of setup for the resource management minigame (what with managing sleep and student debt). I don't mind it as context (akin to the journey of 80 Days), but it felt somewhat... Domineering? In like dating sims are ultimately about grinding some dumb numbers?
- The game prompting me some three times if I'm sure I'm not gay for some serious Bioware/dating sim vibes,
- Kinda one proper vignette to introduce characters and maybe nudge dating sim-esque opinion meters a bit.

Still, if you say there are indeed cool necrolawyer cases down the line, I'll probably bite, if only to throw a buck at Gladstone. Replayability aside, how long should I expect it to be?

The other one I checked out was the metahuman corp one, which seemed like a fun premise, but it appeared to lean even harder on the "let's crunch some numbers and assess you after a year of performance". Any opinions on it? And do most Choice of games have this Harvest Moon structure, or have I happened to just stumbled onto such examples?

Also the reason I got hooked on the CYOAs in the past days is that it they work nice and pleasant on my Android tablet, so I guess that's a consideration. I tried emulating Hadean Lands before and :suicide: let me tell you, parser should be left for the PC. I mostly dismissed the genre before, due to the sea of twine dredge and dislike of Failbetter games*.

* Which is a shame, as there's a lot of cool ideas and good writing in their vignettes, it's just that everything around it is kind of infuriatingly bad.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Myself I wish for parsers to be torn down in favor of more accessible input schemes, just so that it's kept being used as a conscious choice and not a default. There's amazing stuff you can do with parsers, but there's so much awful legacy bullshit associated with it, like the terrible compass directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Myself I'm unreasonably excited by what Texture does. Like, right now it's nothing more than a fancy spin on hypertext, but then I remember the notebook mechanics of Discworld Noir/Blackwell series, or unlocking spells in Loom and get the feeling we're about five boundary-pushing experiments from forging something great out of it.

• Locked thread