Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I love the Emily Short and Andrew Plotkin games too, especially Spider and Web. Hadean Lands gets huge points for the consistent alchemy system, but the time travel replay feels a bit too much like a tech demo - a good one, but still.

Also, there's an odd genre of IF which is the "single player MUD" where every NPC plays just like a PC and the rules of the universe are hero agnostic. I can only think of a few games in that genre, and they're mostly old ones that bit off way more than they could chew, like the Spectrum versions of The Hobbit and Sherlock. With all the modern hoo-hah about multi-agent systems I wonder if it's time to revisit them since before we have agents wandering around on the web it might be nice to have a game where you aren't obstructed by an unconscious policeman or welcomed by "a parade of elves led by dead Gandalf".

Inform 7 seems to have some big chunks of architecture devoted to doing this kind of thing, then generally advises you not to use them. I'm not sure why that's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Intriguing idea, but some things with interaction with NPCs could be tightened up, perhaps?

- The baron says he has "a problem that will need to be handled.." but ASK BARON ABOUT PROBLEM gives "No reply."

- Likewise, after "do you think you can handle it?", YES gives "that was a rhetorical question", which may be narratively true but..

- When swimming near the surface, EMBER DARKNESS gives "making the distant sun warmer would not be helpful".

- When you have the luminescent fluid, you can dive to the bottom of the lake, but the previous room descriptions that talk about it being dark don't change, which made me think the fluid wasn't providing light for some reason.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 3, 2016

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

SimonChris posted:

That's the problem with parser games. There is always more interactions to tighten up.

https://twitter.com/leighalexander/status/650542605269229569

This was actually a very popular response, though...

That's fantastic. Anyway, I think it's a great idea, I was just mentioned them in case they were useful.

One other one I found: in Camino's office, >PUT WATER IN COCOON says "the cocoon is just a simile, it can't contain literal things", but the river is also a simile.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Ugh, that's lame! I quite like Inform but I didn't realise it had that kind of limitation :(

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I remember that - it was back when Kickstarter only accepted US backers, so I backed by e-mailing Plotkin manually!

That said it also massively overran so it's not necessarily a great example.

• Locked thread