Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
After reading this thread, I've decided to get back into IF. It's been a long time since I've played a good text adventure but I played most of the Infocom and Legend Entertainment games back in the day.

I'm specifically looking for games that are available on iOS. I liked 9:05 but wrestling that parser was annoying. I'm really liking Choice of Robots and I'm trying to figure out how to get all the different achievements.

What are some other good iOS ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Inadequately posted:

The Sorcery! series and 80 Days from inkle studios are pretty good. Tin Man Games has a few gamebook adaptations, of which my favourite is To Be or Not to Be. Choice of Games is a perennial contender, but their quality varies widely. There's a couple that take advantage of the iOS format like Lifeline, Device 6, Able Black or Mr. Robot:151exfiltrati0n.ipa that are worth a try.

Also this is stretching the definition a little, but any iOS recommendation list isn't complete without King of Dragon Pass.

There doesn't appear to be anything called "To Be or Not to Be" on the App Store. Device 6 is an old favorite of mine but I think calling it IF might be pushing it a bit.

I've actually played the first three Lifeline games and was kinda disappointed. I get what they're going for. It's a good concept but the execution's pretty poor. The biggest problem with all of them is the lack of audio notifications, which is a pretty necessary thing for immersion. Can individual apps do audio notifications?

Other than that, the biggest problem with the first one is the endgame. The whole point of the game is that it's played in two or three minute spurts. But then the endgame is like a solid thirty to sixty minutes, which is exhausting when you just want a quick session. And almost none of your choices during the endgame matter; he just ignores you and does his own thing regardless. It's frustrating.

The second is just weird and completely unrelated. The third was a direct sequel to the first and seemed like they had it figured out... but then I beat it in under two days. ...what? Why would a game with those mechanics be so short? Misses the point completely.

I'll try the rest of the games you and everyone else have mentioned. I may have been unclear: I'm fine with text parsers. I specifically hated 9:05's parser because it's extremely limited and seems to recognize very few words. Trying to figure out the exact words it wanted me to use was pretty frustrating.

• Locked thread