Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Paul, you magnificent bastard.

E: For team Boss Killer, I may not be around much, but I will keep the IRC up. So feel free to leave any notes there if y'all want to discuss tactics to take down the King of Snow.

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Doc Reynold's taken the other slot in the first broken CO game, to no one's surprise they're playing Kanbei. Time to try and show off why Hachi is such a menace, though it'll be a bit harder due to not being dual strike COP rules.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Considering Doctor Reynolds kind of ignored the rule about only 1 game, I figure that I'll open up registration so that you can join a total of 2 games now.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Broken game #1's over, so I'll play in the Flak vs Jugger game for laughs. I'm playing Flak and nothing can stop me from putting a boat in a tiny lake.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 18, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Slur posted:

Considering Doctor Reynolds kind of ignored the rule about only 1 game, I figure that I'll open up registration so that you can join a total of 2 games now.

In that case, I'll take that opportunity to open the team game. Password is "goons" again. There's one CO I kind of wanted to give a shot but never did.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TheMcD posted:

The boss game is live, an- OH SNAP.

seriously none of you picked kindle HAVE I TAUGHT YOU NOTHING

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Put up the Flak vs Jugger RNG fight, for when someone else wants in on it.
Password is maelstrom, and I've selected Flak currently.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Gamerofthegame posted:

That's not a Blue Moon CO, though!

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Blame Slur. I was perfectly happy with going Kindle but he argued convincingly enough to put it up to a coinflip between Kindle and Sturm. And you can see who won the flip.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Olaf now gets to be the final boss he's always wanted to be :).

e: and day 2 snow, hahaha. Although you've got enough roads to get around that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Einwand posted:

Put up the Flak vs Jugger RNG fight, for when someone else wants in on it.
Password is maelstrom, and I've selected Flak currently.
Joined.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Blame Slur. I was perfectly happy with going Kindle but he argued convincingly enough to put it up to a coinflip between Kindle and Sturm. And you can see who won the flip.

I did this deliberately just so I wouldn't see yet another match with Kindle in it.

As for the 4P Fog game, we all unanimously agreed that the map I chose was not a good choice for either gameplay or commentary, so I put up a new game at http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamescurrent.php?maps_id=49393

Eepies, Decoy Badger and Twib, I am looking forward to this.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Haha that Olaf boss game. Outstanding. Can Sturm's terrain-penalty-immunity protect him from snow?

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Snow affects Sturm explicitly, according to the AWBW wiki. So I'll get bogged down too, once we get past the road movement heavy capture phase.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Oh, sorry. I totally forgot about that rule. My bad. I lost, anyway.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TheMcD posted:

In that case, I'll take that opportunity to open the team game. Password is "goons" again. There's one CO I kind of wanted to give a shot but never did.

Together we will be team Blood Bowl.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Slur posted:

I did this deliberately just so I wouldn't see yet another match with Kindle in it.

As for the 4P Fog game, we all unanimously agreed that the map I chose was not a good choice for either gameplay or commentary, so I put up a new game at http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamescurrent.php?maps_id=49393

Eepies, Decoy Badger and Twib, I am looking forward to this.

poo poo, made a mistake in setting up the game. Have to set it up again!

Slur fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 19, 2016

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
For boss games, wouldn't a good strategy for the underdogs be to pick COs with 2 HP damage to all SCOPs and maybe even fire them of more or less in the same turn?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Together we will be team Blood Bowl.

:hfive:

Crystalgate posted:

For boss games, wouldn't a good strategy for the underdogs be to pick COs with 2 HP damage to all SCOPs and maybe even fire them of more or less in the same turn?

I'm imagining the four of us all having picked Drake right now, and it's weirdly appealing. A full blown Typhoon assault would mean leaving every enemy unit with 2 HP and ~6% of their fuel. That's loving devastating, but also leaves you really open regarding everything that isn't the full blown SCOP assault. It's such a specific thing that I can't really imagine the implications for the rest of the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

TheMcD posted:

:hfive:

I'm imagining the four of us all having picked Drake right now, and it's weirdly appealing. A full blown Typhoon assault would mean leaving every enemy unit with 2 HP and ~6% of their fuel. That's loving devastating, but also leaves you really open regarding everything that isn't the full blown SCOP assault. It's such a specific thing that I can't really imagine the implications for the rest of the game.

You'd do it with Hawke. He has less downside risk because his Day to Day is stronger and the Super COP assault would cause nearly every one of your units to be on full HP at the end of a turn where you reduce the opponent's HP to 2.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I thought Hawke's CO powers didn't heal allied troops.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mzbundifund posted:

I thought Hawke's CO powers didn't heal allied troops.

Yeah, so every allied unit would only get 2 HP healing total, which isn't all that great as far as bringing really damaged units back into the fight is.

The reason I picked Drake over Hawke is because of the SCOP assault being more difficult to counter. Sure, you could be Andy with a SCOP and reduce the damage to 3 HP, but you'd still be left with ~6% of your fuel. Your air units are very probably not going to make it, and the resupply situation for land units is also pretty dire. Jess could resupply, but then you're still stuck with a bunch of 2 HP units.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Weather conditions so far this match:

Day 1, Normal
Day 2, Snow
Day 3, Rain
Day 4, Snow

:psyduck:

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Paul.Power posted:

Weather conditions so far this match:

Day 1, Normal
Day 2, Snow
Day 3, Rain
Day 4, Snow

:psyduck:

Far as I can recall, how it works is that at the start of every player's turn it does a dice roll to check if weather occurs, and I recall reading somewhere that Olaf/Drake being in the game increases the chance of their weather type coming up. So basically the more players there are the more likely it is to be in a perpetual abnormal weather.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drake makes it more likely to rain, but Olaf doesn't make it more likely to snow. At least in AWBW.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Endorph posted:

Drake makes it more likely to rain, but Olaf doesn't make it more likely to snow. At least in AWBW.

There's a "snowbringer" CO ability in the code of AW2 to go along with Drake's "rainbringer" ability, but it went unused. Seems like it might have been planned that way at some point, but I guess with his powers bringing snow, him causing more snow randomly as well was considered redundant.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Slur posted:

Alright, so for the exhibition match, the rules stay the same as they always do unless stated otherwise. The boot interval will be set down to 5 this time, as there haven't been any bugs with the AWBW system in quite a few months. The AET interval on all games shall also be set to 10.

When getting into any game, please do your best to select COs you haven't played as in the tournament. I won't enforce this as a rule, but I like variety and to see different playstyles from each player every time they go in. It makes it easier to commentate on as well.

For the time being, you may sign up to only one of these games. Choose wisely.

Free For All 4 Player Match - Fog

Sign-Up List:

• Slur
  • Decoy Badger
  • Twib
  • Eeepies

Map: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=20218

Conditions: Fog is on

Free For All 4 Player Match - No Fog

Sign-Up List:

• Monk E
  • chaosrefined
  • JunpeiHyde
  • Endorph

Map: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=32732

Conditions: N/A

Broken CO Match 1

Sign-Up List:

• Einwand
  • Doctor Reynolds

Map: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=65950

Conditions: No unit or CO bans will be in place

Broken CO Match 2:

Sign-Up List:

• Kennyman666
  • Paul.Power

Map: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=50857

Conditions: Same as Broken CO Match 1

Dual Strike Match:

Sign-Up List:

• Successful Student
  • Kennyman666

Map: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=53073

Conditions: Tag will be enabled, allowing players to select 2 COs.

Boss Game:

Sign-Up List:

• TheMcD
  • Paul.Power
  • Doctor Reynolds
  • Yorkshire Tea
  • RoninOfDreams

Map: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=11815

Conditions: Orange Star, Blue Moon, Green Earth and Yellow Comet on Team A. Black Hole on Team B.

Team Battle

Sign-Up List:

• chaosrefined
  • TheMcD
  • Yorkshire Tea
  • ???

Map: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=26599

Conditions: Orange Star and Yellow Comet on Team A. Blue Moon and Green Earth on Team B.

Flak vs Jugger

Sign-Up List:

• Einwand
  • Endorph

Map: http://awbw.amarriner.com/prevmaps.php?maps_id=61584

Conditions: All other COs besides Flak and Jugger are banned. Coordinate with your partner to ensure that a mirror match does not happen.

I just wanted to quote and post this to remind people that positions are still open if you wish to take them.

Slur fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 26, 2016

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
I'll sign up for the team battle then, multiple games are allowed now yeah?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

chaosrefined posted:

I'll sign up for the team battle then, multiple games are allowed now yeah?

Here you go.

Password is "goons".

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Here you go.

Password is "goons".

Fab, thank you!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheMcD posted:

There's a "snowbringer" CO ability in the code of AW2 to go along with Drake's "rainbringer" ability, but it went unused. Seems like it might have been planned that way at some point, but I guess with his powers bringing snow, him causing more snow randomly as well was considered redundant.
Drake's SCOP causes rain, but his COP doesn't. Meanwhile, Olaf's COP literally just causes snow. So yeah, it probably was a case where bringing in more snow would have made his COP even more underpowered.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh, what the hell, I'll play in the Tag game. Never played Dual Strike, so watch me not have any goddamn idea at all what I'm doing. I'm not even going to use the CO pair you'd expect from me.

Game's here, password is tagyoureit.

Edit: Also created the Broken CO game I signed up for, find it here, password is breakitup.

Edit again: Yyyyyep, saw that Sami/Eagle tag coming a mile away. Actually was originally planning on doing that myself but decided it was too obvious, so instead you're getting Sami and Max, Freelance Police. I looked up tag bonuses on the Wars Wiki, and came to the conclusion that Sami/Eagle is the only 3-star tag in the game that doesn't involve any CO in the broken 5. I really thought the Hawke and Lash tag would be more than one star...

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 22, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Paul, I just want to say that I hate you for building that, and I'm sure you already know that.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

The best possible plan: Making it up as you go along! Or at least scrambling to fix accidental mistakes with makeshift strategies.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I'm looking forward to commentating on boss game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hang on, where'd one of my copters go?

...oh sweet Jesus, I only now realized that piperunners can shoot at air units. Either that, or I somehow managed to forget it after my game against Reynolds. This is an interesting development.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

That explains it. Was wondering over in #AWBW why you offered up that copter to Paul. On that note, Paul's gonna SCOP and ruin all my calculations. This...is going to hurt.

E: AND IT SNOWS. Right before Paul would SCOP anyway. And just in time to prevent something I needed to do to Paul. Geeeeeeeez.

Such items: Killing an Infantry in the south from the river spillover. Damage the Arty with my 3 HP AA (likely dying to a mech later, but whatever, it would've been nice.)

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 24, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

There is still one slot open on the team game and one slot open on the second Broken CO game. Just a reminder.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Merchant Union (Post-Tournament Exhibition Match 1: Einwand vs Doctor Reynolds - Broken CO Round 1)

It seems this thread isn't quite over yet. In fact, I decided to set up a bunch of gimmick games as to show off even more of this wonderful little game in its multiplayer environment, and to show just how diverse a game this can be. In fact, I even decided to participate in one of those matches myself, as I finished my 100 hour, 3-time playthrough of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel I had enough time in my life to take out of my busy and productive schedule to do so.

One of these games ended out finishing in a few days. It was a one-on-one match, where I decided to lift every ban that I established earlier in the tournament, just so I could showcase these higher-tier COs, and exactly why I didn't allow players to play as them during the tournament. In the extremely small Advance Wars competitive community, every one of those COs except Nell are generally considered "banworthy" from a competitive session with other players; the reason I didn't want Nell in the tournament was because I didn't want to see somebody win by luck-based mechanics.

So, map and CO evaluation time!

Well, this map is fairly open, bar the center bridges which divide the HQs and the areas near the eastmost and westmost bases. Also, both players get to start with a lander, allowing them to transport their units across that small patch at the bottom a little easier. I think the map evalaution is going to be left at that, because there is something far more interesting in front of us: our CO choices.

Kanbei:

• Day-to-day: Units have 30% more offense and defense. Units cost 20% more to produce.
  • CO Power: Morale Boost - Units offense and defense rise by 20% and 10% respectively.
  • Super CO Power: Samurai Spirit - Units offense and defense rise by 20% and 30% respectively. Units gain 50% extra attack power on counterattacks.

Hachi:

• Day-to-day: Units cost 10% less to produce.
  • CO Power: Barter - Units cost 50% less to produce.
  • Super CO Power: Merchant Union - Units cost 50% less to produce. Land units can be produced on cities.

So, if it's not evident as to why these two COs are busted over the knee in terms of power, I think I should go over what makes them so special in the first place. First, we'll go over Kanbei, who has an overwhelming 130/130 statline. Considering how this game handles defense as a stat, Kanbei's units are much harder to kill than the average unit, which makes the 20% extra cost not mean as much as it really should. As well, Kanbei's overwhelmingly high universal offense makes his units the strongest in the game, with only Sensei's battle-copters and foot soldiers as well as Kindle's city-bound units having a higher natural statline than Kanbei in any one given area. However, with the combination of attack and defensive bonuses which are that high, Kanbei will always come out on top in a one-on-one match. This is especially true on Kanbei's own properties, or on other terrain with high defensive values.

If that wasn't enough, Morale boost makes his units even harder to deal with, and Samurai Spirit makes it so that Kanbei essentially can't be attacked for a full turn. A unit parked on a mountain or HQ with Samurai Spirit's defenses will also gain a defense value of 200%, meaning they will be invincible for the remainder of the turn. With the counterattack bonus, it'd be suicide to attack Kanbei on the turn he activates that power anyways. Kanbei's only real weaknesses are being outresourced, and developing ground in the early game. If Kanbei is allowed to set up, there is very little chance of beating him.

Thankfully for Einwand, he has chosen Hachi, who can take advantage of this particular weakness that Kanbei has. Much like Andy, Hachi's statline is 100/100, meaning that none of his units are truly exceptional. However, Hachi's units are just that less expensive to deploy, meaning that the small bits of extra funding that remain left over after every turn can accumulate into Hachi building stronger units down the line faster than any other CO in the game (except Colin). This isn't what makes Hachi so dangerous, though: it's his CO powers. Barter is a dangerous enough power on its own, with Hachi being able to deploy some higher-tier units at the end of his turn with one activation. However, what makes Hachi one of the best COs in the game is Merchant Union. With enough cities going forward, Hachi can secure any area of the map with a single usage of it, as well as deploy units in areas which have been unaccounted for. Not only that, but with the added "bases" for the turn, Hachi can deploy entire armies across the map without any trouble whatsoever. The only weakness that Hachi has is his lack of ability to strengthen those units, but I don't think that matters when Hachi can deploy neotanks at just over the cost of a battle copter. Maybe if Doctor Reynolds gains some momentum, she can deploy some stronger units to overwhelm Einwand with sheer brute force.

This game can go either way as a result of the strong contrast between the CO choices. As Doctor Reynolds was the finalist in the goon tournament, Einwand has a lot of expectations to meet in this thread as a newcomer. Let the games begin!

Yellow Comet - End of Day 7

Doctor Reynolds is the first to build offensive units in this game and prepare the end of the capture phase. As well, she has built a t-copter in order to rush the island beneath her. Doctor Reynolds is in need of whatever extra funding she can get her hands on considering her CO choice, so the t-copter is a wise move. As well, mobilizing as Kanbei is a must as soon as he is able to; any delay and his small amount of units can get overwhelmed before he can gain any true momentum.

There's no retaliation from Einwand as of yet.

Orange Star - End of Day 7

Einwand seems like he's set to entertain: the first offensive unit that he's decided to build for this match is a megatank. Considering we only saw Paul.Power build one at the tail-end of one of his matches, I might as well explain: megatanks are the most expensive ground unit in Advance Wars, costing a total of 28,000G to deploy. They have only 4 movement, and 4 shots of ammunition tied to them. However, whatever a megatank touches will inevitably be destroyed or left on its last legs.

This is not a move you open with in a normal Advance Wars game, and yet here's Einwand breaking all convention in this thread. This is going to be interesting.

Yellow Comet - End of Day 8

Doctor Reynolds responds to the megatank in kind with a rocket. The megatank generally has two weaknesses: its small ammo reserves, and being pelted by indirect combat units. With the amount of infantry that Doctor Reynolds has going forward into the western front, she should be fine going forward. However, there is very little likelihood that Einwand would drive his megatank right into rocket fire, making me question the deployment of the rocket in the first place. Maybe the threat of the rocket will force Einwand to stay out of range of it, but I feel as if Einwand can counter a singular built rocket with relative ease.

Orange Star - End of Day 8

And so combatbegins on this turn in the northeastern corner of the map. Doctor Reynolds's infantry on the road gets taken down to 2 HP, and the one capturing the comm. tower gets taken down to 5. Leaving infantry out in the open like that with little defense isn't the most viable strategy, but one thing worth noting is that in the process of attacking the comm. tower infantry, Einwand has an infantry of his own which was taken down to 5 HP. Given the right defensive bonuses, Kanbei's dangerous to attack even in one on one situations. I wonder how much Doctor Reynolds can exploit this going forward.

Yellow Comet - End of Day 11

Einwand once told me in IRC that he often goes to the damage calculator to prepare for whatever his opponent may throw at his walls, as to ensure the safety of his indirect combat units in all situations. In the northeastern corner, you can see the result of his planning: Einwand wouldn't have deployed his artillery so close to his infantry if he didn't know his infantry to the south of his artillery would survive with 1 HP from tank fire. Doctor Reynolds is going to suffer the effects of that next turn.

On the southwestern front, Doctor Reynolds has a much better position and a much stronger hold on Einwand: with two rockets, an artillery, a couple of infantry and an anti-air, Einwand's going to have to wrestle his way out of getting eaten alive by Kanbei indirect fire, or be forced to retreat out of the area. The battle copter that Einwand has deployed can help him a bit, but with an anti-air on the way within the next turn or two, Einwand's going to have to be fast and aggressive regarding his tactics.

Doctor Reynolds's HQ capture attempt is interesting, but it won't succeed with two infantry protecting the HQ like that.

Orange Star - End of Day 11

With the smallest of openings, Einwand takes advantage of Doctor Reynolds's unit deployment and completely eradicates Doctor Reynolds's rocket on the southwestern front. With the anti-air out of the way, Einwand's battle copter is safe, but not his tank. I find this it be a great tradeoff though: destroying a rocket at the cost of a damaged tank is more than enough to pay off for any losses received this turn.

On the northeastern front, something stranger is going on, however: rather than continue the assault on the comm. tower, Einwand backs up all of his units into a huddled corner. Hmm....

Yellow Comet - End of Day 12

Doctor Reynolds decides to play boldly in the northeastern corner of the map and attack Einwand's artillery with a tank. As well, she pushes forward in the southwestern front, knocking Einwand's megatank into a corner, as well as secures the position down in the southwestern side of the map. Einwand is on the defensive...until...

Orange Star - End of Day 12

Merchant Union.

So, let's see here...a bunch of infantry...a black bomb on the northwestern airport...a neotank...two medium tanks...nearly twice the amount of units that Einwand had deployed in the first place...

Yellow Comet - End of Day 14

I'd probably concede too if I were Doctor Reynolds. With Einwand's new overwhelming forces coming into play, Doctor Reynolds no longer stands a chance, and thus surrenders as a result.

On a map like this, Hachi is bound to win. With so many cities to deploy from, as well as the ability to deploy such high-tier units without any problem, nearly anywhere, Hachi has the clear advantage over Kanbei. There was little that Doctor Reynolds could do with Kanbei to truly turn the situation in her favor, even if Doctor Reynolds were to play with pixel-perfect precision. Thus, Einwand finishes off our first exhibition game.

There's still a few more games to go in this thread. Stay tuned to see what happens in our next post-tournament exhibition matches!

Slur fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Okay, joined the second broken CO game.

No prizes for guessing who as :v:.

• Locked thread