Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

how are you resizing because the 200% at least should look much crisper

also im terrible at advance wars but i'd like to play anyway

e: oh i guess i was too late, RIP

can we gamble on participants then

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I'll like to sign up as a sub if anyone pulls out. Also the shorelines took me by surprise as well, this map suddenly looks a lot smaller and squarer, rather than a long line.

Roonerspism
Nov 12, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

how are you resizing because the 200% at least should look much crisper

also im terrible at advance wars but i'd like to play anyway

I'd also like to play, but it seems that we've missed the first 16 slots.

Slur posted:

It might distort the images a little bit, but if it's easier for people to see, then I'll edit my images in the original update to accommodate. Mind you: the resolution will vary from map to map, meaning that bigger maps will be of a larger resolution. That might prove problematic in resizing for later updates.

Depending on how much work you want to do for this you could just crop larger maps down to whichever part is relevant to your commentary at the time.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

Slur posted:

Example Screenshot at 150%:

If you can't get the 200% crisp this one looks good to me.
Thanks.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
btw everyone in this thread should also come by the awbw thread in games and have a good time

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
It no longer has the misleading Apple icon on it, even!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

To get a crisp shot at 200%, use Nearest Neighbour or turn resampling off.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd honestly prefer 200% if you can manage to get it crisper - the fact that the grey and purple colors stand out less against the background doesn't really help.

Also, am I crazy or misremembering that Drake's COPs used to reduce enemy fuel?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

anilEhilated posted:

I'd honestly prefer 200% if you can manage to get it crisper - the fact that the grey and purple colors stand out less against the background doesn't really help.

Also, am I crazy or misremembering that Drake's COPs used to reduce enemy fuel?
It does (in AW2 and AWDS, anyway), Slur forgot to mention that. Causes me quite a bit of trouble, as it happens.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Paul.Power posted:

To get a crisp shot at 200%, use Nearest Neighbour or turn resampling off.

I turned resampling off and found myself getting images which didn't look quite as good. Then again, I was being the judge of that at 2 AM, and my eyes are kind of broken. Having some sleep on my hands now, I have to say these actually do look a bit better than the resampled versions. If you wish to take a look at what that looks like, here are some new example screens:

Example Screenshot at 150% Without Resampling:

Example Screenshot at 200% Without Resampling:

Tell me if you guys like one of these better and I'll start using them. Keep in mind that the bigger the map is, the larger the resolution of the map, and I won't be able to apply this for every possible update.

Slur fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 5, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Is.. is the blue army made up of penguins?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I like 200% but it might be too big for people with smaller resolutions, I don't know. This is why I was hesistant to say something, I knew I'd end up indecisive.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Looks like it. :shrug:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Yes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

200% looks the best.

Cobalt Ice is one of the better nations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Cobalt Ice (and all the other customs, I believe!) come from a old AW2 custom game effort that was being done before Day of Ruin even came out. It was actually in a playable alpha state, custom music and COs and all that jazz, p much set out to be AW4. Among these things were new units like Zeppelins (I think really anemic but floating artillery) and Hovercraft.

There was also a new faction that brainwashed penguins and had igloos everywhere.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Oh my god, thats adorable :3:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

What is this, an LP for ants?

Haha, all jokes aside you're doing a great job here Slur.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Cobalt Ice (and all the other customs, I believe!) come from a old AW2 custom game effort that was being done before Day of Ruin even came out. It was actually in a playable alpha state, custom music and COs and all that jazz, p much set out to be AW4. Among these things were new units like Zeppelins (I think really anemic but floating artillery) and Hovercraft.

There was also a new faction that brainwashed penguins and had igloos everywhere.

Can I see spritesheets for those new factions/units anywhere?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pierzak posted:

http://awbw.wikia.com/wiki/Countries

awbw doesn't have battle animations so it only affects infantry and mechs, but they're still cute

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Pierzak posted:

That was some ten years ago and I don't even remember the project name, so it's pretty doubtful.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I never did get a consensus on the screenshot thing.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
200% without resampling is large and clear while 150% still has pixelation in it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
200% without resampling, by far. 150% with is blurry and 150% without is just loving ugly.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

I quite like it at 100%. :shobon:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, stick to the unresized ones.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

200% without resampling, please.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I was unsure before but now that others are agreeing I feel confident saying 200% no resample.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
You should probably be using a resampler meant for video game images, like ImageResizer.

Here's what I got with HQ2x Smart:

It's a lot less blocky than just upscaling.

If you want to have 1.5x size, you simply upscale it to 3x with one of the algorithms, then downscale it by half.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The problem with those is that they become obviously stylized screenshots rather than actual images from the game. In this case they can work but it's not for every game out there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dont worry ive put it through the best filters

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Sorry for getting this mess started. I was just trying to more easily see what was going on and was hoping that this would not bog down the thread.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

dont worry ive put it through the best filters

Take over this LP for me this instant.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
This might be the dumbest or the smartest suggestion, but since it's in the browser, couldn't you just zoom in before screenshotting?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

sharktamer posted:

This might be the dumbest or the smartest suggestion, but since it's in the browser, couldn't you just zoom in before screenshotting?

That would just result in silly-looking non-integer scaling.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

EDIT: Got a response from Amarriner. He got the original site back up.

Slur fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 9, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

EXHIBITION MATCH: PAUL.POWER VS SLUR - PART 2:

So, the last time we left off, Paul.Power was dominating the board with two comm. towers and a tank along the way.

Grey Sky - End of Day 9

I react accordingly: a tank was built on the brand new base I just captured, and the other tank I built on my lower base is marching upwards to meet Paul's units. As many of them as there are, none of them can take down a single tank, let alone two of them. As well, you may have noticed that I built a secondary black boat in the last screenshot of the last part. That thing's now moving with a single infantry northbound, as to capture the upper bases and the seaport which is lying right there for me. Meanwhile, on the southern front, I have my infantry capturing those two cities on the lower end, as to try and gain some sort of foothold into Paul's territory.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 10

It doesn't matter all that much, however. Paul got those two comm. towers just on time, and he can now march up in my bases and not give a single care in the world. He also has his infantry unloaded onto the upper islands, meaning his funding advantage will soon increase, and allow him to deploy stronger units at a faster rate. It's not exactly going well for me as of right now. The funds are even between us as of the moment, each of us sitting at 15000G a turn with 15 held properties. However...

Purple Lightning - End of Day 11

Blowing stuff up is fun. The APC went into full retreat in order to save an infantry, as well as transport other units for later. Paul ended up joining two of his damaged infantry, which is why you see the infantry with 9 HP south of the APC. I managed to damage his recon pretty badly up there, so it moved down and decided to use its last attack on an infantry attempting to capture the neutral city just to the left of it. However, I now have a much bigger problem on my hands as of now: the southern front. The only thing defending those cities to the south there are my infantry just sitting atop of those cities. There are a total of three tanks which are aiming to come down and make my day that much worse on protecting those cities. All of my units, on the other hand, are focused on the upper front as of the moment, and it's going to take a few turns before I can actually get my tanks over there to reinforce my defenses in the south. At this point, the foundation of my defenses are shaking rather heavily.

Grey Sky - End of Day 11

I'm just going to show you how clever Paul is, and why he's going to be hard to beat in the tournament. To mount an attack on my upper front, where four tanks are currently residing, he goes from here...

Purple Lightning - End of Day 12

...to here. Here's all of the things he was able to do in a single turn:

• Build a wall of units around the shoreline, not allowing a single unit to pass through to his upper properties
  • Destroy my infantry surrounding my cities, and have an infantry ready to capture them.
  • Capture 3 properties, putting him in the lead with a 20000G income to my 18000G
  • Prepare his black boat to capture 3 more properties on the southern front

So how do I retaliate?

Grey Sky - End of Day 12

BUILDIN' A NEOTANK! THAT'LL SHOW PAUL!

(Disclaimer: Paul was not shown by the Neotank)

So, there's going to be a few eyebrows raised here over that Neotank. I might as well try to explain why I built that, from the poor recollection of what my past self was thinking. So, I had 34,000 funds at the beginning of the turn that I was building that Neotank. This is because I was building a lot of infantry in the previous turn, rather than building more expensive units like tanks or anything bigger than what I had. I had some options, and the most logical one to a lot of people would be either one of two options: the first would to build a large unit of tanks, as to try and overwhelm Paul with superior numbers. The second would be to build a battleship and use it to control either the top or the bottom of the map with a unit which couldn't be attacked without a huge investment from Paul.

In a recent Skype chat with Paul, he questioned why I didn't take the latter option, which would have put Paul in a poor position in either the top or the bottom of the map, due to the threat of an indirect combat unit shooting down his best units at all times. I explained to him in simple matters why I didn't.

Firstly, tanks can be destroyed by other tanks with simple maneuvering and numbers, and Paul could easily generate those numbers. Secondly, if I were to build a battleship on the lower port, Paul could just focus all of his troops on the upper front and overwhelm me there, putting me into a really bad position. Thirdly, Paul would have most likely retailated with a submarine, sent it down, and sunk my battleship around 4 to 5 turns later. Most of his units are amassed there anyways, and I don't need them focusing on my base up there.

I just got to the point where my funding is on par with his, after all. Paul's nearly at his CO power, and despite Hyper Repair being nowhere near as strong as powerful as its SCOP counterpart, he will still gain a 10% boost on attack and defenses which can overwhelm my top front. Thus, Neotank.

Now that I'm done justifying that thing, let's see how Paul reacts:

Purple Lightning - End of Day 13

Of course it's artilleries. That wall he formulated at the top front's also proving to be effective, as he's capturing another city, as well as doing quite a lot of damage to my tanks. If I charge in too hastily with that neotank, it's going to eat artillery fire as well, assuming Paul is able to position them in such a way that I can't react in time.

But before that...

Our power meters are full, and I'm going to utilize mine as much as I possibly can before Paul negates everything I've done.

Grey Sky - End of Day 13

So, as I mentioned in the last part, Tsunami deals 1 damage to all enemy units and cuts their fuel in half. Hyper Repair is going to negate the damage portion of this next turn. However, that doesn't mean Tsunami is absolutely useless, as I've come to learn. In fact, it does a few things for me: it grants me an attack boost, it allows me to push forward during the turn that Paul's units are all at 9 HP, it allows me to drain Paul's funds by forcing his units to heal on the cities at the beginning of his turn, and it forces Paul to use Hyper Repair if he wants his units in top condition.

This turn is actually really good for me: I'm finally able to turn quite a bit around here. The neotank hasn't been able to do all that much, but my tank which was once on my HQ is now defending my northern city in the southern part of the map. I use my tank to attack Paul's tank, as well as my healthier tanks to take a chunk out of Paul's healthier tanks which is building his wall to the north. What Paul is left with on his northern offensive is a bunch of 9 HP infantry, a 9 HP recon, and an APC which is running out of fuel. That's not that great of an offensive force. However, I'm left with a bunch of fairly healthy tanks. I use my 2 HP tank from the last turn to create a wall between Paul's infantry in the center-left area, the APC beside it (which is also now running out of fuel thanks to Tsunami), and his 4 HP tank adjacent to my tank on the northern city. His 4 HP tank will probably have to spend time wasting a turn before either of those units will be allowed to march forward. Paul's Comm. Tower which he captured in the beginning of the game is now under siege. I've turned this around with a single Tsunami and a few healthy tanks.

A lot of you will be noticing that on this screen, you're seeing a lot of damage tanks, but not a lesser amount of tanks. I personally consider damaging an opponent's stronger units to be a better option than destroying an opponent's weaker units. There's very little a damaged unit can do: it can either act as a wall (as I've demonstrated), retreat and heal, join together with other weak units to create a healthy unit, destroy other weaker units, or suicide into stronger units to leave a dent in them. It can't actively participate in defending a main front in a meaningful way, however.

Thing is, Paul's playing as Andy. Hyper repair is charged. Artillery are coming my way. Paul's also moving a black boat to the south, where he can begin capturing that port which he's neglected for quite some time. The battle's taken some unexpected turns thus far, and it can go either way at this point. Find out what happens next time, as Paul's turn begins, and his plans for a comeback arise.

Slur fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 10, 2016

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
F

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666