Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

G?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
See me in my office after class.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

G to H.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Horsey to King Bish 3.

Um, in an attempt to say something sane here... Slur's point about damaging strong units instead of destroying weaker ones is an interesting one, and generally sound advice - in addition to what he said, you aren't wasting damage on overkill. Fighting Andy is a big edge case there since he can bring a whole bunch of damaged units back from the dead, but one thing to note is that as well as Andy countering Drake, Drake counters Andy to a degree: I'm using a lot of Hyper Repairs fixing up Tsunami damage when Andy's real ace in the hole is Hyper Upgrade.

I was definitely surprised at the time that Slur went for a Neotank, I thought a battleship would be playing to his strengths better, and be harder for me to counter on a map with no air units. The Neotank did get me churning out artillery rather than tanks though, and while artillery are a very powerful and cost-effective unit, they can't push as well as tanks can.

Slur did make a little bit of an error in dismissing my recon though... ;)

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Difficulties

I promised to not let what happened to Paul.Power's LP happen to me when I began this LP.

What happened to Paul.Power in his LP happened to me. Thus, I'm going to spend this update doing a few things:

• Explaining how the game disappeared and why I no longer have access to it

• Explaining what happened between turns 15 to 45, where the game ended, in an abridged form from my recollection

• Giving you guys the tournament bracket.

The game that I was doing commentary on for the sake of the exhibition match was to act as a way to do a two things. The first of those things was to show off what the Advance Wars competitive environment looked like. The second of those things was to test before the tournament began if AWBW were to run into any technical problems before the tournament would begin. And thus, I seemed to have run into some problems rather early into the game due to some unexpected roadblocks which just happened to befall AWBW just as I was beginning this Let's Play.

Advance Wars By Web is a game which has its own set of difficulties in terms of Let's Playing. Firstly, it's a browser version of a Game Boy Advance game, made by a singular fan back in the last decade as a hobby. He continues to host it off of his own funding, and the ad revenue that he receives from the site is not enough in order to sustain the website itself. Thus, he pays out of pocket to ensure that we continue to receive a convenient online Advance Wars experience. The code, however, has not been updated in nearly a decade. This has led to a few limitations with Advance Wars By Web: on a note of aesthetics are the lack of the animations present within the GBA games which this client were based off of. On a minor technical note is that screenshots from replays only show the end of each player's turns. The biggest detriment to the LP so far, however, has been the stability of AWBW itself in recent days. During the time I was commenting on the playthrough between Paul.Power and I, the site went down a total of two times. Furthermore, just before the second update began, Amarriner announced on the original AWBW site that he was switching hosts, due to the significant increase in costs that the original site's hosting has had over the years.

I was personally under the assumption that the data of Paul's game between himself and I would be deleted on the date of February 19th, as the game ended on January 20th. The reason I was under this assumption is because during Paul's update in the Advance Wars 1 LP where he was keeping track of the game between Roonespism, DaRealKooky, Kennyman666 and myself, the game deleted itself within exactly one month's time. It seems as if something has changed between then and now, and the game has decided to delete itself on February 11th instead, or just over 3 weeks apart from now and when the game ended.

With that being said, let's see how the game ended:

Grey Sky - Day 45

I routed Paul at this point. A lot of you are probably wondering how this might have happened. Well, I'll try and recall the major events that happened between the last update and now from memory:

• Paul used the next turn to activate Hyper Repair. With his units fortified once more, he proceeded to use his Recon that he was hiding behind his wall of infantry in the last part to attack my infantry on the comm. tower. It brought that infantry down to 5 HP, not allowing me to capture the comm. tower immediately upon the next day. I used my Neotank to blow up the recon, and so my capture went unhindered on the comm. tower. Speaking with Paul over Skype, he considers the gambit to capture the comm. tower at the beginning of the game to be a mistake, due to the fact that I took it back so quickly. However, I don't consider it a mistake: Paul was able to keep me under pressure for quite some time using his 2 comm. tower advantage. Paul built a submarine on the leftmost port at the end of the turn, with the modus operandi of sinking my black boat on the bottom-center isle. He wished to secure the bottom-left isle and proceed with a naval assault on me later.

• Paul neglected that bottom-left isle, and I parked my black boat over it. I defended it with a sub in response. The reason I didn't build a cruiser is because I figured I could sink Paul's sub with my own. I was playing as Drake after all, and I did have the naval defensive advantage. Eventually, between our two dived subs, I was the one who landed out on top in the naval war to the south.

• Paul gathered his artilleries behind a wall in the upper area, as to try and secure an advantage at the top of the map. Eventually, the match led itself into a boring stalemate, where neither of us wanted to do anything. With another Tsunami backing me, I used my neotank to try and damage his wall of units. It ended out being a huge mistake, as my Neotank took some heavy artillery fire. We were back to square one again, with each of us spamming tanks to see if either of us could get land superiority.

• I later stopped building tanks for a turn in order to build a battleship on the top-right corner port. I used it to not just break through Paul's wall of units at the top part of the map, but to also destroy his infantry on the center isle at the top.

• The major turn-around point began as soon as I sent my black boat with a single infantry from the top-right isle to the top-center isle. I proceeded to capture the three cities there, to absolutely no opposition whatsoever. Paul was more focused on sinking my battleship that was pelting his units on the upper-front part of the map rather than dealing with his stuff being under siege.

• The 6000G funding advantage I got over him gave me an idea only after a few more turns of me building nothing but tanks and submarines to combat Paul: I should just start spamming Neotanks. With two on the board, I began pushing Paul's units back rather aggressively.

• I built a second battleship to the south with the advantage I received. I used it to destroy Paul's infantry on the southwest isle. Yeah, I spent 28000G just to destroy a single 1000G unit. However, it allowed me to start capturing that isle. I was now 12000G above Paul.

• A few Neotanks and a few more battleships later, and we reached this point.

During the entire match, Paul only activated Hyper Upgrade once, and that was at the very end when he knew he lost the match. He seemed pretty adamant on repairing his damaged units from Tsunami, regardless of the situation. Drake's extra naval defense also saved some of my units which were creating a chokepoint on the upper parts of the map from being destroyed, thus keeping my battleship safe for a few extra turns.

Thankfully, I got done what I wanted to with these updates: show off the competitive environment of Advance Wars. Should you take away anything from these updates, it should be the following:

• Property advantage is key in Advance Wars. Even the slightest amount of funds above your opponent means that you're going to build units faster, and build more powerful units first.

• Infantry are the most valuable units in the game, with their ability to be the most mobile units to seize properties in Advance Wars. Despite being weak in combat, they can handle other infantry, as well as act as excellent walls for chokepoints

• Be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of your COs, and know when to use your CO powers, or save for your Super CO powers. Using them too early might give up the opportunity to make a heavy push later, and using them too late will make you miss the opportunity

• Only build strong units if you know they'll create a significant advantage or prevent your opponent from acting a certain way. A powerful unit can still be taken down by a few well-positioned artillery.

• Try to be aware of what your opponent is planning. If you neglect important parts on the map, you will lose your advantage.

• Slur is bad at managing his own Let's Plays

That being said, the tournament is now going to begin. As I do not wish for this to happen again during the LP, only two matches will be ongoing at any given time during the tournament.

JunpeiHyde vs Endorph
Aston vs Ptarmigans
Kennyman666 vs Doctor Reynolds
Trasson vs TheMcD
Keiya vs Gnoman
Paul.Power vs Anticheese
Zemyla vs Successful Student
Monk E vs GameroftheGame

JunpeiHyde and Endorph will be playing on this map. Aston and Ptarmigans will be playing on this map.

Let the games begin!

Slur fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 15, 2016

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oh dear. Well, now you know how hard it is, Slur :gbsmith:.

Gamerofthegame posted:

To me, honestly, the naval game at all feels like such a trap on this map. You can shove around an incredibly expensive rocket at sea, or you can just buy a normal rocket and abuse all the good tire movement. There isn't a LOT of properties out at sea, either, so beyond shoving infantry teams in black boats and dropping them off there's nothing really worth while going there. Drake's advantage is functional worthless on account of the hideous buy in and the time it takes to sail the b-ships around, with plenty of safe zones.
As soon as I saw this post, I had to resist spoiling what was going to happen :). Battleships and those island cities ended up being key, here. I probably should have built a battleship myself rather than going quite so sub crazy, to be honest.

Thinking about it, automatically responding to Slur's Tsunamis with Hyper Repairs might just have been a product of playing so much AW1 lately, since that's really your only option there. I'll have to see if I can learn from my mistakes here.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It still was a trap, imo. Battleships can't go into beaches, which for our observing audience is any tile with a pale-blue shade of water in it. (Everything else is a coast and can't be landed on. This can occasionally be confusing with some of the tiles, but pale-blue = beach.) This means that the battleship's usable range was extremely small on the main-line proper, which is a hell of a lot of money to put into it. It let you conquer the properties, but I think using a lander with a anti-air and a tank or something would have been a better, more cost effective (Albeit not base efficient) way of contesting the two halves of the map. You can also drop them in the back line once you're all said and done and the only way your opponent can counter it is by buying the extremely expensive submarine... for that sole purpose.

Heck, the two places a battleship can sail to and hang out also have a road leading to it. So you could have sat a rocket there for a cheaper, faster alternative. I think bships are more powerful, but if you sit it on a city it also has unlimited ammo~.

Seeing the endgame makes me deeply curious how the hell Slur actually swung things around to be able to spam bships and neotanks, but alas.

Is there any rhyme or reason to map selection?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to map selection?

Simple, competitive maps which are highly rated. I'm trying to make them small-medium sized, so games don't drag out forever. Some of the other rounds might be a bit different. I'll see.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Gamerofthegame posted:

It still was a trap, imo.
Here's the thing about it being a trap though: you're screwed if you do, you're screwed if you don't. Battleships are actually the safest option in that regard because the scenarios tend to work out like this:

If you do go into the sea battle and you're opponent doesn't, it's best to have units that can aid the ground war (and you'll win because that's 7k worth of properties a side.)
If you don't go into the sea battle, you're leaving your flanks open for opportunistic Lander beaching which weakens your choke points. A Lander, an AA and an Infantry are relatively cheap after all.

Overall you can't ignore the sea side of this map. Drake's biggest advantage on this map is his +1 movement to naval units, which let his battleships and landers get where they need to be faster.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Gamerofthegame posted:

the only way your opponent can counter it is by buying the extremely expensive submarine... for that sole purpose.
The same could be said of a battleship. I mean, rockets can do an okay job of fighting battleships, but they're outranged and out-armoured, especially with Drake's naval defence boost. Even if a rocket gets first strike, the battleship might well be tanky enough to turn it around.

quote:

Seeing the endgame makes me deeply curious how the hell Slur actually swung things around to be able to spam bships and neotanks, but alas.
There's a lot of properties on this map. Once Slur had grabbed the north central and south west islands, he had something like 30000G a turn to my 20000G, at which point I can't deal with his stuff faster than he can bring more in, and battleship/neo spam ensues.

e: I mean, there's a school of thought that I was doomed as soon as I lost even one property to him. I tend not to go with that because I'm a stubborn ol' bugger, but once the northern central island was gone, Slur has 6000G on me and I could probably have been forgiven for resigning then. But hey, I played it out.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 11, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph is gonna get owned.

By someone else after she creams me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here's mine and Junpei's game.

Let me know if I did anything wrong, Slur.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

here's mine and Junpei's game.

Let me know if I did anything wrong, Slur.

Did you ban stealths and black bombs? If you did, then you did everything right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Slur posted:

Did you ban stealths and black bombs? If you did, then you did everything right.
forgot to, but is it cool if me and junpei just have a gentleman's agreement not to build them so we don't have to remake

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

forgot to, but is it cool if me and junpei just have a gentleman's agreement not to build them so we don't have to remake

That's perfectly fine. Thanks for letting me know!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

It should still be legal for us to make as many stealths and black bombs as possible on the turn either of us wins.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Is it possible that people not pick grey and black? I had a quick glance and really had to strain my eyes to see the difference in colour between units clearly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Is it possible that people not pick grey and black? I had a quick glance and really had to strain my eyes to see the difference in colour between units clearly.
you can't see what color the other person will pick. its probably a good idea to pick colors that contrast well with all the other colors though, yeah.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I usually go purple. I'll probably do that next time.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ahaha, first penguins now Roman centurions? :allears:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I think that's the last of the "weird ones," sadly.

Only infantry are unique, btw.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

If I go any more blind, the commentary is going to be something along the lines of "Junpei is attacking Junpei's unit" for the entire section.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

at least the eastern armies are facing different directions!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

I think that's the last of the "weird ones," sadly.
Brown Desert's look kind of like insurgents.

and pink cosmos are supposed to be women, i think.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Um, why are you playing on awbw.bulletriddenlich.com? That's the site that's going to get wiped when the final migration happens...

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Keiya posted:

Um, why are you playing on awbw.bulletriddenlich.com? That's the site that's going to get wiped when the final migration happens...

It doesn't matter at this point when the wipe is going to happen in March.

EDIT: Okay, apparently it does matter. Seems we got a lot of tech difficulties with the new site which are detrimental to the LP. So, as a favor, please do not use the new site to host your games yet. Thank you.

Slur fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 12, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Me and Endorph finished our game. It was fun, I wont spoil the result.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Never mind, turns out the new site doesn't do replays. Who knew?

Rematch time! http://awbw.amarriner.com//game.php?games_id=234748

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, this tournament is off to a flying start.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Well, this tournament is off to a flying start.

The Something Awful Forum > Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Murphy's Law

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Ptarmigans and I have finished our game, and there is a replay.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Me and endorph finished our game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

First Round - Match 1: Aston vs Ptarmigans

Well, it seems as if the tournament is underway, and Aston and Ptarmigans are the first two people who are facing off against one another. Let's take a look at the map I selected:

It seems pretty narrow between all of those islands. Well, much like the map that Paul and I played on, it's a lot more open than it seems, as shores can be crossed from island to island without any hindrance. It might be a little difficult for ground units to navigate through the multiple woods which are in the area as well. The HQs are dangerously close to each players' bases at first sight, but they're going to have to loop around, or use air units to reach them.

Let's take a look at the CO selection this time:

Ptarmigans has chosen Sami, and Aston (known by his underground rap name "ajrizzler") has chosen Max. Since we haven't gone over their abilities yet, I might as well:

Sami:

• Day-To-Day: infantry and mechs have 30% extra attack power. As well, infantry and mechs can capture at a rate 1.5x faster than normal (rounded down to the nearest whole number). All transport units have +1 extra movement. All other direct combat units have 10% less attack power.
  • CO Power: Double Time - Increases the movement of infantry and mechs by 1, as well as increases their attack by another 20%. Movement cost on all terrain for infantry and mechs becomes 1.
  • Super CO Power: Victory March - Increases the movement of infantry and mechs by 2, as well as increases their attack by another 50%. Movement cost on all terrain for infantry and mechs becomes 1. Until the turn ends, Sami's infantry and mechs can capture any property instantly regardless of their condition.

Max:

• Day-To-Day: all direct combat units except infantry and mechs have 20% extra attack power. All indirect combat units have 10% less attack power and have a reduced firing range by 1 square.
  • CO Power: Max Force - Increases the movement of all direct combat units by 1 space, as well as increases their attack by another 20%.
  • Super CO Power: Max Blast - Increases the movement of all direct combat units by 2 spaces, as well as increases their attack by another 40%.

The map is an interesting one for both characters. Aston probably deduced that the map was more open than it actually seemed, and thus choosing Max was a good idea. Max also does extremely well in air combat, and I'd argue he is actually a better choice than Eagle in some air combat situations. Considering there is an airport near the bases at the start of the map, we're bound to see a few battle copters here or there.

Ptarmigans's choice however, is a little bit more unorthodox to me: Sami is an infantry specialist, and handles indirect combat units quite well, providing a complete contrast to the playstyle that Max offers. Normally, she relies on heavy attacks with mechanized infantry and indirect combat units. As well, she handles the capture phase better than any CO in the game. The assumption that I can make from his choice is that he wished to prevent Max's recon harrassment from harming his properties. As well, the enemy HQs are fairly close to each player, so he could probably dive in with a T-copter and capture it later on in the game. So what will win here: brute force or strategic captures?

Blue Moon - End of Day 3

I decided to skip ahead in the game a little bit to the point of where something besides infantry were being built. The first few turns are pretty much the same for both players in Advance Wars anyways, no matter what CO you're playing as: a few infantry are built, they capture a few buildings, and then one player builds something else, marking a change in strategy. In this case, Aston built a recon.

Recon harrassment is a strategy I've never been too fond of myself, yet on multiple occasions I've seen it work: a single disrupted infantry can mean the difference between significant property advantage, or the means to secure important properties on the map. It works especially well for Max, who does get a 20% attack boost on his recons. However, considering that Ptarmigans is playing as Sami, he could easily shrug off the damage that his capturing infantry do take; that 50% extra capture is not to be underestimated by any means. We'll see if this works for him later.

Orange Star - End of Day 6

As you can see here, not a lot has changed in terms of the game state right now, except that Ptarmigans has built an artillery and Aston has built an APC and loaded one of his infantry onto it. The recon is taking a bit of time to get over there due to its tire movement, and thus can only move about 4 spaces per turn on plains, and 2 through the woods.

The artillery is something I wouldn't have built so soon, but Ptarmigans could probably utilize it very well if he utilizes the terrain and his infantry. One of the most common strategies in Advance Wars is to build a wall of infantry around a given chokepoint or around a significant area, and proceed to hide artillery behind it as to pelt whatever comes that way. Usually this has significant results, with the slightest amount of HP from weaker units being sacrificed in order to bring down very expensive units like medium tanks. In this case, taking down Aston's recon will be top priority, as it is the only form of offense that Aston has right now. Mechs would also be a viable option, but Aston's choice is sound, as mechs are far less mobile than artillery.

Orange Star - End of Day 7

More artillery, and Aston is bringing out the big guns, in the form of a tank. At this point, it seems as if Ptarmigans is gaining quite a bit of ground as well. Reinforcing his offense with some artillery, he can probably wall off Aston's offense in a few turns. However, the most significant unit built this turn is the singular T-copter that Ptarmigans built. We'll see what he does with it in a few turns, but it goes worth mentioning that Aston now has that airport as well. Considering Ptarmigans's current unit lineup, it wouldn't be able to handle a flood of b-copters coming that way to deal with those artillery and infantry. Furthermore, that Recon is coming close into Ptarmigans's territory. We might see first blood here soon.

Blue Moon - End of Day 8

Well, we now know what that APC was for: Aston was going for an HQ capture right from the start, backed up by that recon. He positioned his units very well in this situation: using his recon and his APC as shields, his infantry is now free to attempt an HQ capture, with very little hindrance. Aston has also built a b-copter at the upper front of the map, and he's using it to reinforce his capture in the south. It's probably not going to make it on time, but perhaps Aston is planning something different with that b-copter altogether.

Meanwhile, Ptarmigans loaded up his t-copter with a single infantry and is heading north. At this point, Ptarmigans is probably going for the HQ capture as well. With only a single infantry anywhere near Aston's HQ, it could be an easy capture to make if Aston hasn't caught onto this plan.

However, Ptarmigans's only reliable way of attacking Aston's units currently is with that singular b-copter. Those artillery aren't positioned well enough yet to do any damage to Aston's tank or recon. Perhaps Aston might overwhelm Ptarmigans before this happens, or succeed in that HQ capture.

Blue Moon - End of Day 9

This is quite the morton's fork Aston has weaved: if Ptarmigans doesn't attack the infantry capturing the HQ with his b-copter, he'll lose. However, if Ptarmigans attacks that infantry with his b-copter, Aston can counterattack with his 120% attack power b-copter, or that anti-air on the lower front (depending on how Ptarmigans positions his b-copter). Considering that attacking that infantry is the only option to stay in the game, Ptarmigans is going to take a huge loss within the next turn. However, Ptarmigans has some options: he can go out of his way to use his artillery to now lay waste to that tank which attacked his infantry. He can also position his t-copter right below Aston's HQ, drop off his infantry and begin a game-winning capture. This might actually be Ptarmigans's game due to Aston's negligence.

Orange Star - End of Day 10

Oh this doesn't look good...

So, Ptarmigans made a mistake here: not attacking the tank that was coming in with his one artillery, instead opting to bring both his artilleries south and position them around the infantry, recon and APC. When I was speaking to Ptarmigans about the game, however, he said that he thought he made a bigger mistake which costed him the game, and initially I agreed with him. He misclicked and placed his t-copter one space away from where he wanted it: one space south of the HQ, with his infantry being dropped off on top of the HQ.

The misclick is not as big of a mistake as I initially thought, though: I thought Ptarmigans would have had the game if he dropped his infantry right on top of the HQ, as I didn't think the battle copter could reach the infantry on time to intercept. However, after doing a quick count, it wouldn't have been victory for Ptarmigans, as the battle copter would have interrupted the capture successfully, with just being 6 squares away from being able to fire on the HQ.

That being said...

Blue Moon - End of Day 10

The tank to the south Aston built went unhindered and destroyed the artillery with the damaged recon. The battle copter did as predicted and destroyed Ptarmigans's b-copter. Aston's northernmost recon went across the shores and did a number on Aston's artillery, bringing it down to 6 HP. Aston is also now beginning to spam tanks, and Ptarmigans doesn't have much of a defense built against this assault.

Orange Star - End of Day 12

Ptarmigans is retaliating with a more serious assault after his HQ capture failed. He's bringing out some anti-air, a b-copter, and now a mech in order to help him compensate for his losses. Though Sami isn't the best direct combat specialist, a Sami anti-air at full HP can still take down any b-copter at full HP, as long as it's not Eagle's b-copters. However, it might be too little too late: Aston has muscled his way into Ptarmigans's territory pretty heavily, and not a single viable indirect combat unit remains for Ptarmigans to fall back on.

Blue Moon - End of Day 13

This is one turn after Aston activated Max Force. Knowing that Ptarmigans's last hope was for him to capture the HQ via Victory March, Aston sends some tanks up to intercept, and parks his infantry on his HQ to prevent any further capture attempts. This spells the end for Ptarmigans.

Blue Moon - End of Day 16

Blue Moon - End of Day 17

4 turns later and this is the end result. As a last-ditch effort, Ptarmigans tried to spam bombers to deal with anything that was around his HQ. However, with enough of a push into Ptarmigans's territory, and that APC and recon walling off any efforts to capture the HQ, Aston was able to go for the capture and secure the game.

The end result of the match made me wonder if Ptarmigans should have done anything differently in order to secure his victory. I think the investment into indirect combat units a little too early and the heavy investment into the HQ capture is what really did him in: if Ptarmigans were to have brought forth some mechs a little earlier and brought them up with some T-copters or APCs, he could have potentially pushed Aston back a little bit before it was too late. The HQ capture might have been a bit more successful as well if Ptarmigans were to have secured the capture a little better, instead of rely on Aston to ignore the potential for the capture.

It's kind of ironic how Sami is the hardest character to get a stealthy HQ capture with, considering she is the infantry and capture specialist. However, most aware players will know the possibility is available, and nothing feels worse than having an advantage and losing to one well-timed, unimpeded Victory March. Max made for a better choice on this map than I initially expected, with his direct combat units being all that Aston needed to secure a quick victory.

Next time, it's Endorph vs JunpeiHyde! Stay tuned!

Slur fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 17, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's a nitpick, but Max's indirects have reduced range by 1, not of 1. This means he's just got useless artilleries and rockets as opposed to all ranged units.
Also, boo Max players. He's probably the most boring CO in there, everything just gets bigger numbers.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think my first HQ capture attempt would have been successful if I hadn't moved the recon - as far as I can see, there's no way for Ptarmigans to bring his artillery close enough to fire in the time he had.

I was also aware of the counter-capture and I'm pretty sure the one B-Copter would have been enough to save me even if the infantry had been dropped in the right place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Also, boo Max players. He's probably the most boring CO in there, everything just gets bigger numbers.
no, that's hawke

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hawke has to work on maximizing the effect of the whole -2/+2 thing, Max is literally "use this to punch harder".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Despite having read the first game, I still got tripped up by the beaches being more navigable than I had realised. I wonder in hindsight if maybe Sami would benefit from a map with more than two bases. My congratulations go to Aston.

• Locked thread