Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

What the hell, guess I'll sign up if Slur lets me participate. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, stick to the unresized ones.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

F-

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The game has been created for Reynolds to join: http://awbw.amarriner.com/gamescurrent.php?maps_id=50792

Password is slur

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Paul.Power posted:

I'm wondering if I should run and commentate a "plate" competition for everyone knocked out in the first round, just so they don't feel like their time in the tournament ended too soon. What do people think?
Maybe do it in some different way. Like, wait until these two rounds are over too, and take the four that's been knocked out and do a 4-player FFA or a 2v2. Or game with fog, but that requires remembering it was fog when posting the screenshots from the replay.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

RBA Starblade posted:

Did any of you guys ever play the NES title Desert Commander? It's almost exactly Advance Wars and I've always wondered if it had any relation.
No relation, no. The first Famicom Wars was released only four months later, it seems.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I had a hell of a time deciding what CO to pick. What a strange map.
Well, guess this is going to get interesting.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

AW2 theme with AWDS portraits is obviously the way to go.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's got a range of five tiles. Effectively four because of the shoals.

IT HAS NOTHING TO HIT
Range of 2-6, actually. When placed next to a shoal, the shoal is the only place it won't be able to hit. It's just one tile short of being able to hit the factory. It's adds a pretty drat decent line of defense, and means any properties within range of it are going to be mine. Built it because I had over forty thousand funds to burn and it's not like I'm going to be building much in terms of other expensive units as Sami.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It's looking pretty bad for me either way, and I have a few theories as to why I'm getting beaten on. I haven't played 1v1 in forever and I'm not sure if I've ever actually played Sami vs. Sami. The LP of the match will be interesting for me too because it might explain how reynolds managed to cover that much ground while I was like "Okay what actually happened?" and shaking my head at the Sami player who built tanks. Going to enjoy watching that rocket moving through plains, two spaces at a time, though.

Chief for me is probably the fact that the factories are so far from each other on this map. I'm used to having 2-3 factories fairly close to each other, which supports my clusters of mechs in front of indirects strategy - but that doesn't work here, and I started building artillery and mechs too late as well as spreading the units I did have too thin to try to capture properties.

But such is life, and in the end Reynolds is probably just a better AW player than me. I only act like I'm actually good at this game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Endorph posted:

Tanks are still a very useful unit with high movement that can easily destroy rockets and artillery.
The reason I didn't understand why tanks were being built was because the only units in play at the time were infantry, and the capturing game was still going on. A recon would have made more sense, or even better, an anti-air. Identical movement to a tank, eats infantry and will later be of use against air units.

'course, me not taking the tanks seriously could have played into why I didn't start building mechs and artillery earlier. On the flip side, that's how I got enough funds to justify a battleship.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And AW2 Sturm.

Edit: Also, my playing in the game that I'm about to lose can be summed up as "too little, too late".

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

No that's totally fine.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Super Jay Mann posted:

Speaking of, I wonder if a couple of exhibition matches showcasing the banned COs would be interesting to do, just to show people who aren't too familiar with these games precisely why they're banned.
We actually started a five player game with only the broken five, so that could maybe be used for this. Slur's playing in it, though.

But evidently, they were too broken, and the site broke within 12 hours of the game starting.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'd like to see Adder get an upgrade of sorts. Like perhaps have a bar that runs xxXX since otherwise Sidewinder is just a much worse option than Sideslip.
I've been wondering if it would be too strong for Adder to have a straight up +1 movement. Maybe only on ground vehicles, and with -1 movement on air units?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slur posted:

Okay, with your game it doesn't matter all that much because you just began. However, I'm going to be really annoyed if I lose Kenny and Reynolds's game.
The games were very briefly accessible earlier today, so I managed to make a grand total of two moves, at least resetting the timer.

Edit: The Your Games page is broken - but started games aren't. If you have the game ID, you can access the game directly through the URL.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 21, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can't get the site to work. Bah! Very frustrating. I had you on the ropes, Kenny!
I was considering resigning when I could access the game the other day, but before I had actually decided if I were going to to it, everything exploded.

The snow means anything I was going to do got hopelessly delayed anyway, which probably is what I get for a few turns ago saying in IRC that I wouldn't mind for some snow now because it would have delayed you more than me at that point. Not that it would have helped in the end but I could have pretended that it did.

I also said the HQ capture wasn't going to happen, which was a statement that hinged entirely on me entirely forgetting you also had Victory March, despite that I've played Sami far, far more than all the other COs combined.

I've learned some lessons from this game, but I'll save mentioning them until Slur's done posting the game.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It was up long enough for me to take my turn in the boss game, then when I returned to Your Games the SQL errors were back.

Oh boy.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Then it went back down in the middle of me taking another turn.

:awbw:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Site is up and game is over.

Edit: Holy poo poo, it's back down already.

:awbw:

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 29, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Paul.Power posted:

I'm picturing a Green Earth fighter taking off, then crashing with an explosion.
Or something like the crying APC one, but it's the GE fighter, and instead of the Orange Star emblem it's the MySQL logo.

Site is currently up and running (and it's your turn in boss game). Slur claims it's not, but I'm not seeing any SQL errors on my end.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slur posted:

Ptarmigans, JunpeiHyde, Kennyman666, Cake Attack, Anticheese, Gnoman, Zemyla and Monk E shall be playing on this map (if they're all still available). If you guys are having trouble coordinating this game, you guys can come to irc.synirc.net #awgoons to get everything in order. I'll try and PM whoever isn't present by the end of this day. I'll be commentating on this game as well if it gets done in 2 months or less.
I have created this game. The password is letsroll. Given the amount of towers, Javier was banned.

2 months, as if.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well, game's full up. I'll start it tomorrow (my tomorrow as in when I wake up), so anyone who wants to change display country or CO has about 12 more hours to do that.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Game's started. Three Olafs, three Lashes, a Sami (GUESS WHO :D) and a Hawke.

Oy.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Slur posted:

That game isn't getting done in 2 months, is it?
Not in your wildest dreams.

Especially not with how the first round, which for everyone consisted of building two infantries and for some of us also moving a predeployed infantry, took four days.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I'll partake in Broken CO Game 2.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Oh, what the hell, I'll play in the Tag game. Never played Dual Strike, so watch me not have any goddamn idea at all what I'm doing. I'm not even going to use the CO pair you'd expect from me.

Game's here, password is tagyoureit.

Edit: Also created the Broken CO game I signed up for, find it here, password is breakitup.

Edit again: Yyyyyep, saw that Sami/Eagle tag coming a mile away. Actually was originally planning on doing that myself but decided it was too obvious, so instead you're getting Sami and Max, Freelance Police. I looked up tag bonuses on the Wars Wiki, and came to the conclusion that Sami/Eagle is the only 3-star tag in the game that doesn't involve any CO in the broken 5. I really thought the Hawke and Lash tag would be more than one star...

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 22, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

oh god no

Edit: At least we picked COs that weren't featured in the broken game posted, so, bonus for Slur.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And since I hosed up slightly the game between me and SuccessfulStudent may be over next turn, but the weather certainly didn't help me this turn either.

Edit: And if not next then probs the one after that because I found an additional fuckup, gj Kenny

Edit edit: Nevermind

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 26, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

tbh I don't know how much that would have actually changed the results but yeah I figured that's what happened.

So anyway, tag game is over. Slur, do your thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The map display is wonky sometimes. I can't see map previews in Firefox, it just looks like that, blank with the sprites on top - but it works in Chrome. But once the game has started, there's no problem in Firefox and I can watch replays no prob too.

So try checking in a different browser.

• Locked thread