Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
wait, what's so hitler about stealths?

Maybe I want to build stealths as kindle, slur!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Slur posted:

That, and when stealths or subs are active, I can't view replays for those given turns until the game is over due to an anti-cheat feature in AWBW. It makes things easier on me in the long run.

Good thing there aren't actually naval maps in AWBW for some reason.

Perhaps the crippling cost.

(ps i am in btw)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It won't be deleted at all, really. You don't have to play on the temp-server and things should just swap over cleanly afterwards, to my understanding.

Just potential downtimes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

If you've got the moxie for it, I do recommend adding movement and jazz to keep things coherent.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

To me, honestly, the naval game at all feels like such a trap on this map. You can shove around an incredibly expensive rocket at sea, or you can just buy a normal rocket and abuse all the good tire movement. There isn't a LOT of properties out at sea, either, so beyond shoving infantry teams in black boats and dropping them off there's nothing really worth while going there. Drake's advantage is functional worthless on account of the hideous buy in and the time it takes to sail the b-ships around, with plenty of safe zones.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Is.. is the blue army made up of penguins?

Cobalt Ice (and all the other customs, I believe!) come from a old AW2 custom game effort that was being done before Day of Ruin even came out. It was actually in a playable alpha state, custom music and COs and all that jazz, p much set out to be AW4. Among these things were new units like Zeppelins (I think really anemic but floating artillery) and Hovercraft.

There was also a new faction that brainwashed penguins and had igloos everywhere.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Can I see spritesheets for those new factions/units anywhere?

That was some ten years ago and I don't even remember the project name, so it's pretty doubtful.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It still was a trap, imo. Battleships can't go into beaches, which for our observing audience is any tile with a pale-blue shade of water in it. (Everything else is a coast and can't be landed on. This can occasionally be confusing with some of the tiles, but pale-blue = beach.) This means that the battleship's usable range was extremely small on the main-line proper, which is a hell of a lot of money to put into it. It let you conquer the properties, but I think using a lander with a anti-air and a tank or something would have been a better, more cost effective (Albeit not base efficient) way of contesting the two halves of the map. You can also drop them in the back line once you're all said and done and the only way your opponent can counter it is by buying the extremely expensive submarine... for that sole purpose.

Heck, the two places a battleship can sail to and hang out also have a road leading to it. So you could have sat a rocket there for a cheaper, faster alternative. I think bships are more powerful, but if you sit it on a city it also has unlimited ammo~.

Seeing the endgame makes me deeply curious how the hell Slur actually swung things around to be able to spam bships and neotanks, but alas.

Is there any rhyme or reason to map selection?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I think that's the last of the "weird ones," sadly.

Only infantry are unique, btw.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I am deeply impressed a piperunner got built.

For the unaware, a piperunner is an artillery unit that can only hang out on pipe tiles. (And undestroyed pipe seams.) It can be built any time, but naturally can only actually leave the base if there's a pipe right there. At a cost of 20,000 funds, it actually isn't extremely expensive; moat sea units start out at that point, while air units jump from choppers to the also-20k fighter and on. It is a degree pricier then other land units, however, and comes at the draw back of only being able to hang out on pipes.

So what's the sell? It has the range of a rocket (Five tiles) and the punch of a battleship, the vision just off from a recon and has an extreme nine movement, albeit once again only on pipes. It also can attack both ground and air units with its artillery attack, which is actually pretty handy! However, it's just one unit. With a significant price tag. And a limited play environment. Sometimes, though, you just need a cheaper battleship to defend your turf.

Also of note, the decade-old Advanced Wars fan game of sorts, along with penguin faction and so forth, also added shuttlerunners. They were APCs for pipes. Literally was just a APC spirte and the bottom of a piperunner, to memory.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

TheMcD posted:

That is just shameful. :colbert: Olaf is clearly the greatest Blue Moon CO.

when there's only olaf and sasha on the "actually allowed to be played" list that's not saying much

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

TheMcD posted:

I'm a fan of the battleship in the inland sea. It gives you a strong ranged attack that the opponent can't really touch without using the airport on the other side of the map. Expensive, but might make a good deterrent.

It's got a range of five tiles. Effectively four because of the shoals.

IT HAS NOTHING TO HIT

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

sturm is pretty cool but also kind of one trick and that one trick pays the price of having anemic attacks and basically no CO power

he's the dude who rushes forward to set up a defensive line and is a pain to kick off but he can't really push your poo poo in, either. he's france.

playing sturm is being french.

:france:

he's pretty fun on FOW tho, just random surprise recons everywhere

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

hey that's my gimmick

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

I want someone to rock Sonja, she was always one of my favorites to play despite being terrible (drat you luck :argh:), her SCOP is some unique silliness that isn't really replicated elsewhere.

Sonja isn't even outstanding in FoW. Her gimmicks are increased vision, seeing through forest/reefs and counter attacks. Flip over to Sturm and having recons running around at fullspeed and who's the FoW CO again???

Seeing into forests is cool, but that's also a CO power.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Sonja would be at least okayish even outside of FoW if it weren't for her luck rolls, that more than anything is the crushing blow against her viability.

even then that's sturm's thing, being a defensive powerhouse.

Hmmmm...

Doesn't Sonja get kidnapped in AW1? While Sturm runs amuck???? Makes you think!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Sami's theme is legit one of the best themes, if not the best.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Jess doesn't suck in the version that AWBW doesn't have.

This is, in fact, true of most bad COs.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

yeah but then you get antitank spam

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

wow you're doing terrible :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It only works if Custom wars actually goes places and proves as a DoR analog, yet ultimately not popularized.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

DoR threw away the fun colourful world they built up in favour of that dour uninteresting post-apocalyptic brown look that dominated the 2000's.

Points in DoR's favor; it actually had a world and not more of a fight contrivance.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Really? Continents?

But no seriously can someone explain the relation and distinction between Wars World, Macro Land and Omega Land? :psyduck:

E: And the fact that the various "countries" exist on each, with Olaf's hometown being on a continent other than the one his interactions with Nell et al imply he spent his life on?

Wars World is, well, the world. Macro Land is the places that both AW1 and 2 take place in. Omega Land is another place that everyone has assets in like some colonized Africa or something, but it isn't the big four's primary interest so there's a bunch of rump COs there.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

it will be a thousand years before you can beat me

goons

edit: oh no, sensei didn't get nixed. Well, don't pick him.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

This map might literally be 50% roads and yet neither of us picked Koal.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

man this free site is hot garbage, smh

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

The answer to re:b-copter is probably because I didn't notice it. I tended to not notice one there a fair bit on that far side of the map, though I recall a lot of unmoved choppers on Monk's end so it was probably mutual. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Make a crude MS paint representation.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

Excuse me, that "Thug" is clearly a Mercenary and they wield swords. :colbert:

:psyduck:

Are you implying an inaccuracy? :colbert:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Most of the outcomes have been mentioned in some way, so.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Slur posted:

SuccessfulStudent and GameroftheGame will be playing on this map.

I feel you are playing into my gimmick, here.

Game is created, pass is lljk.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I'm going to ask you one all important thing, Student.

Have you ever seen a city... that was a boat?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

our map was meticulous set out to avoid early rushes by spacing things out just right but then the weather comes in and delays things

CONSTANTLY

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

So I'm gathering that Kindle is not a CO you want to mess with on water maps given the very high cost of Air/Naval warfare and the relative lack of land compared to properties.

Kindle is a good CO on pretty much any map so long as it's not property light and, even then, if the properties are at contested chokepoints she's still pretty great, at worse an even neutral. As said, her power means any unit on a property tile gets the bonus, so she can just as much be budget Sami when it counts as she can be baller Eagle, it's all about positioning.

One important thing to note, too, is that it doesn't have to be her property. I could have very well sailed a battleship onto one of Student's seaports and suddenly had a incredibly difficult to dislodge engine of death. That said, outside of the island city raids and some HQ shuffling I didn't use her power at all, really, but if any fighting real fighting had happened off of HQ island it would have come into play.

I haven't done all my Kindle tricks yet, tho.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I am glad to have spread the word of Kindle into your hearts.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

2p Grimm, too. Acting like you don't know how he rolls, tsk.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

save me from this weather hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

perhaps my grand strategy of #fuckrecons would have worked if it wasn't CONSTANTLY loving SNOWING

• Locked thread