Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

What is Advance Wars?

Advance Wars is a series of turn-based strategy games developed by Intelligent Systems and Nintendo. The games themselves date back to the Famicom in Japan (the series known as Nintendo Wars in Japan), with the first western-localized title being released on the Game Boy Advance on September 10th, 2001 (unfortunately). A set of games deeply rooted in tactics and careful planning, the series has been met with extremely high critical reception in the west (Advance Wars holding the highest score for a GBA game on Gamerankings with a score of 93%), and has remained a set of cult classic titles for such a reason.

The best comparison point to Advance Wars is Intelligent Systems's other strategy series, Fire Emblem. The greatest difference that will be immediately noticed in Advance Wars are that player units are uniform and disposable. This leads to a greater sense of strategy involved, as your tank will be equivalent to the enemy's tank, and thus finding a way around it isn't a matter of having a better stat line, but a better strategy to get around said tank. Another key feature is that each army is led by a CO (Commanding Officer) who will give unique day-to-day bonuses to each unit, as well as have a CO Power (think along the lines of a limit break) to boost units in advantageous or dire situations, as to turn the tide of battle.

All units begin with 10 hit points. As their HP goes down, their attack power also goes down. When a unit's HP hits zero, it is destroyed and removed from the map. Victory is seized in Advance Wars when the losing player is either routed, their HQ is captured, or when they surrender. On some maps, other win conditions may be enabled as well, such as when a player seizes enough properties to win the game.

What is Advance Wars By Web?

Advance Wars By Web is a fan-made browser client for Advance Wars, where players can participate in online games of Advance Wars versus one another. The client itself is dated in many ways (being launched initially in December of 2004), but it remains a reliable way to play the game competitively with others, as it does accurately emulate all of the mechanics of Advance Wars to a tee.

How is Advance Wars By Web different than the games themselves?

Advance Wars By Web accurately emulates Advance Wars for a browser experience. However, not everything is exactly like the Intelligent Systems games for the GBA and DS. Here are the major differences:

• Many animations from the Advance Wars series of games are not available, due to the age of the client.
  • All COs have their Advance Wars 2 stats, with the exception of the COs introduced in Advance Wars: Dual Strike. The exception to this is Sturm, who has his Advance Wars 1 stats, and given a weaker Meteor Strike as his first CO power.
  • There is no unit limit for each player (contrast the games, which caps your units out at 50)
  • You cannot take back your own moves
  • Units and COs can be banned for a better competitive experience
  • Labs are introduced as a game mechanic. If a player captures a lab, they will be granted access to units which they were previously not allowed to build on their bases. If a player does not control a single lab, they will not be allowed to build those sets of units.
  • Glitch tiles (which were introduced as a bug, but are now considered a feature of AWBW) allow units to move across at a cost of 0, allowing units to essentially teleport along them. These are featured as pitch black tiles on some AWBW maps.

Wait...so how are you going to Let's Play this?

Back in the ancient years of 2015, Paul.Power had a small intermission in his Advance Wars 1 Let's Play. At this time, he decided to commentate on a game held between myself, Roonespism, DaRealKooky and Kennyman666. Entertained by the commentary of our game, I decided that this Let's Play would be a full thread dedicated to this kind of commentary on the one aspect of Advance Wars which wasn't shown off in the previous ones, yet remains one of the most important factors to the game's overall design: its multiplayer.

So when will the LP finish?

After the tournament's completed.

...Wait, a TOURNAMENT?!?

Yeah. That's how this thread is going to be formatted: first, I will show off a sample game between myself and Paul.Power, to introduce the intricacies and gameplay of Advance Wars multiplayer, and show just how different it is from the tactics of baiting out an APC-hungry AI. Afterwards, 16 lucky goons will be able to participate among one another as to see who is the best Advance Wars player on all of Something Awful.

How do I register for the tournament?

Simply post in the thread that you're interested in playing, and I'll note you down as a potential participant. Be sure to have a bit of time on your hands in the future; Advance Wars By Web games can go on for quite a few weeks. If you aren't, or have any problems participating, post or PM me as soon as possible so I can accommodate for you. If problems arise in the first round and you absolutely cannot participate, I'll grant your slot over to another interested player.

Why would I want to join?

There's prizes.

What are the prizes?

Free avatar change for the winner of the tournament.

But I'm new to the franchise and I really wanna join this tournament!

Don't worry: the entry barrier to this franchise is now extremely low. The first two Advance Wars games are on the Wii U eShop for $8 USD, in both North America and Europe. If you're worried about learning the intricacies of the game, there is a really well-crafted tutorial in the first game which will take you step-by-step in understanding the basic mechanics of Advance Wars, and get you to a level where you will know all of the rules within an hour or two. Furthermore, as aforementioned, I will be posting a competitive game which happened recently between Advance Wars LP legend Paul.Power and myself before the tournament begins. This will highlight all of the intricacies of how Advance Wars plays competitively, in comparison to the campaigns which you're probably used to playing and seeing played.

As some supplementary reading, some of my favourite LPs on the archive are Paul.Power's LPs of Advance Wars and Advance Wars 2. You can find them located here as well as here.

So how do I play Advance Wars By Web?

Go to http://awbw.amarriner.com/ and register for an account there. In this thread, I will post links to the maps you are supposed to play on in your given bracket in the tournament. One person in the bracket shall host the match by clicking the "play on this map" button, while the other participant(s) will join the match by clicking "Games on This Map". When the host creates the game, these settings must be in place:

BANNED COs:

• Grit
  • Nell
  • Hachi
  • Sensei
  • Kanbei
  • Colin

BANNED UNITS:
  • Stealth Fighters
  • Black Bombs

BOOT INTERVAL:

WEATHER:
  • Random

The rest of the settings should be left at their defaults, except for their CO of choice and the password to the game (which they should give their selected opponent via PM or by posting in the thread), or if I decide to spice things up a little bit and ask you to add in other conditions to your game. When the game begins, one of the players should link the game in this thread, so that I may keep track of it.

Are there any conditions for tournament disqualification?

As noted above, the boot interval is set to 5. That means if you take 5 or more real-time days to complete your turn, you will lose the game. If Advance Wars By Web goes down within this time, do not worry: you will not be kicked from the game that you are in while the system is down.

The other condition for disqualification is if I catch you using any glitches in Advance Wars By Web (most notably the APC glitch, in where said glitch will allow transport units to move twice in one turn).

Anything else?

Nope! Just sit back and enjoy the exhibition match that will kick off this tournament. May the biggest mech-flooder win!

Slur fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Table of Contents:

Original Post

Exhibition Match

Paul.Power vs Slur - Part 1
Paul.Power vs Slur - Part 2
Difficulties

First Round

Aston vs Ptarmigans
JunpeiHyde vs Endorph
Kennyman666 vs Doctor Reynolds
Paul.Power vs Anticheese
Keiya vs Gnoman
GameroftheGame vs Monk E - Part 1
GameroftheGame vs Monk E - Part 2
Zemyla vs SuccessfulStudent
Cake Attack vs TheMcD

Second Round

Doctor Reynolds vs TheMcD
Endorph vs Aston
GameroftheGame vs SuccessfulStudent
Keiya vs Paul.Power

Semifinals

Endorph vs Doctor Reynolds
GameroftheGame vs Paul.Power

Finals

Doctor Reynolds vs. Paul.Power

Post-Tournament Exhibition

Merchant Union
Einwand vs Endorph - Flak vs Jugger Game

The End

A Retrospective

Tournament Participants:

Paul.Power
Kennyman666
Ptarmigans
Keiya
JunpeiHyde
Zemyla
TheMcD
Gnoman
Aston
Gamerofthegame
Monk E
Successful Student
Cake Attack
Endorph
Doctor Reynolds
Anticheese

Tournament Bracket:

http://challonge.com/awbwlp

Miscellaneous Materials:

After much deliberating, we finally found the correct way to filter screenshots for this LP

Slur fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 23, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Keiya posted:

Stealths can shoot everything but can only be shot back by fighters and other Stealths. They're not the worst thing imaginable (that's probably Oozium being affected by movement-boosting CO powers), but a lot of people don't like them.

That, and when stealths or subs are active, I can't view replays for those given turns until the game is over due to an anti-cheat feature in AWBW. It makes things easier on me in the long run.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

An important PSA for those participating in the tournament (copied from my post in the AWBW Games thread):

Amarriner posted:

Switching Hosts

The current hosting provider for AWBW is raising their hosting costs as of the next time I have to renew which is around March/April 2016. I can't really afford to stay with them so I'm moving to another host. I've begun the process of moving things, but I don't have a lot of time to test to make sure everything is working so I'd like for some users to help out if at all possible.

For now, you can reach the new host at awbw.bulletriddenlich.com. It has all the data from the main AWBW site as of February 4, 2016. Please try playing some games, creating/editing maps and generally try doing whatever it is you normally do on the main site. Just keep in mind that everything you do on the new site will be wiped once I make the final migration. So you may not be able to finish games, potentially, and any design map stuff you do will not persist to the new server after the migration.

Of course after everything moves, things will persist as usual. I don't have a final date for migration yet because it'll depend on how much testing happens and in what timeframe. I'll try to keep you posted as much as possible. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to email me at amarriner at amarriner dot com or @amarriner on twitter.

Source: http://awbw.amarriner.com/news.php

Also, the first update for the LP should be available tonight.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Exhibition Match: Paul.Power vs Slur - Part 1

This game finished a little under a month ago between Paul and I, just as a game for fun. With Paul's permission, it's becoming a part of the Let's Play, and a bit of practice on my end to see if I can live up to his commentary in the Advance Wars 1 LP. So, let's take a look at the map that we played on, shall we?

So it's a fairly symmetrical map, as most competitive Advance Wars maps are. However, the one bit of asymmetry here is that the player on the right starts off with a single infantry. As to why this is, it's to counter what is known as FTA, or First-Turn Advantage. Though the terminology may seem self-explanatory, it should be expanded upon: players who tend to go first or earlier in the games tend to get first dibs on key properties on the map. Thus, the player who goes second (or third, or fourth, depending on how many players there are) tend to be thrown a single infantry as to assist in gaining momentum similar to the pace that the player going first does. It may not seem like much, but it does make a world of difference.

The points which stand out on this map are the multitude of sea ports which are on the map, as well as the two comm. towers which are on the southwest and northeast sides of the map. For those of you who have not played the DS titles of Advance Wars, a captured comm. tower does not grant any funds to the player who captures them, nor do they heal units who are on top of them. Rather, every unit belonging to the player who controls a comm. tower gains a +10% boost to their attack power. This accumulates with multiple comm. towers, which is why you don't see a lot of them on competitive maps like this one.

So, let's take a look at what COs we've each chosen for this map. Of course, in AWBW, we're not allowed to see who we've chosen until the game begins. If we take a look down below we'll see tha---

poo poo.

Okay, so I'm at an immediate disadvantage on this map: Paul.Power has chosen Andy, and I've chosen Drake. Let me give you a quick rundown of each CO quickly:

Andy:

• Day-to-day: All units have their default stats, with no bonuses or disadvantages to them.
  • CO Power: Hyper Repair - Recovers 2 HP for all units.
  • Super CO Power: Hyper Upgrade - Recovers 5 HP for all units, grants +1 move and 30% attack power to all units for the turn.

Drake:

• Day-to-day: Naval units have +1 movement and 10% extra defense. Air units lose 30% attack power. If random weather is enabled, 7% increase of causing rain. Rain does not affect unit movement.
  • CO Power: Tsunami - Deals 1 damage to all enemy units. All enemy units have their current fuel amount reduced by half.
  • Super CO Power: Typhoon - Deals 2 damage to all enemy units, causes rain until the end of the turn. All enemy units have their current fuel amount reduced by half.

So, Paul predicted that I was going to be playing as Drake from the get-go, seeing all of the naval bases on the map. Though Drake has the slightest naval advantage over other COs, most of the battle is going to be taking place on land, as naval units are rather expensive to produce: submarines cost 20,000G (which is as much as a fighter, or a little under 3 tanks), and battleships are the most expensive unit in the game at 28,000G. More striking is that both of Drake's CO powers are immediately negated by Andy's regular CO power, as Hyper Repair can just fix up any damage that Tsunami or Typhoon leave behind, leaving Drake's powers to be more or less (seemingly) useless against Andy in the long run. Drake's COP bar also charges slower than Andy's, and ultimately, if the game lasts too long, I could see this taking a toll on me.

So now that we've done the pre-game analysis, let's begin the actual game:

Grey Sky - End of Day 1

You might have noticed that the army colours have changed. In Advance Wars By Web, 9 extra armies were introduced, bringing the total amount of armies up to 14. That's because AWBW can support up to 14-player games. I've played one before.

It wasn't pleasant.

Regardless, before a match begins, you can change your army at the beginning of the game, for no real gameplay change except for cosmetic effect. I chose Grey Sky, Paul chose Purple Lightning. Two infantry were built. I pushed my infantry forward. We ended our turns. This is how every Advance Wars game starts.

You may be wondering why we are building two infantry instead of a single mech. In fact, even if we were given 6000G to start, we'd still be building two infantry instead of two mechs. This is because infantry are far more mobile units than mechs are: with 3 spaces to move instead of 2, infantries can reach bases faster, and thus can capture more properties at a quicker rate. Infantry and mechs are also the only two units in the game who can capture properties. How will things progress from here?

Grey Sky - End of Day 3

Yep. More infantry. There's a reason that they're considered the most valuable unit in Advance Wars. One, is that they capture properties. Two, is that they're the most mobile unit to do so. Three, is that they're the least expensive unit to produce. Four, is that they make for excellent meatshields in the mid-to-late game. Because they're normally the only units which can be produced in the early game, as well as there being such an overwhelming need for properties to maintain an advantage in multiplayer Advance Wars, the first few turns of a competitive game is usually known as the capture phase.

So when does this begin to change?

Purple Lightning - End of Day 4

Paul's built an APC. I was kind of confused as to why he would build that so early in the game.

Grey Sky - End of Day 4

So I copied him wholesale despite not knowing what the hell I was doing.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 5

Another APC? What is he up to...?

Purple Lightning - End of Day 7

Dammit.

Paul built a recon, and I suddenly knew what he was up to: he was planning to capture the comm. tower in the top right corner of the map, with that recon as reinforcements. Recons have uses outside of fog of war, believe it or not: during the capture phase, they're generally good at disrupting infantry that are trying to capture important property points, as well as can defend any properties which are important before players can build appropriate counters to them. Another oversight that I made is that units can cross the two shorelines which are connected to one another. This map is a lot less narrow than I initially imagined it to be.

If he is able to seize both the top and bottom comm. towers, he will have a 120% attack boost to all of his units. I retaliate immediately by building a tank. At the same time, however, I know that tank isn't going to make it before he's able to capture that comm. tower. My infantry sitting at the northern part of the map is the only thing which is going to be able to delay that capture.

Another thing you might notice is that I built a black boat within this time, as Paul didn't. The black boat is a unit which was introduced in Advance Wars: Dual Strike, and is personally one of my favourite additions to the game: being able to move 7 spaces, the black boat can transport up to 2 infantry or mech units. As well, it can repair any unit adjacent to it for 1 HP, as well as resupply the unit with fuel and ammo at the cost of 10% the repaired unit's cost, regardless of the unit. If the unit is at full HP, it will resupply the unit with fuel and ammo for free. As well, they're the least expensive naval unit at 7500G.

Considering Paul hadn't mobilized a strong enough force for me to warrant another tank, as well as wanting to gain a funding advantage over Paul, I decided that building a black boat to capture the island properties was probably within my best interest. I dropped a single infantry off on that island to capture those two properties. Drake's extra naval movement helped me here as well, allowing me to reach the island in 1 turn instead of 2.

Here's where I get a bit arrogant:

Grey Sky - End of Day 8

I let off the first set of fireworks. Paul's also built some black boats as well, to capture the properties on the northern island on the map. Instead of bringing my tank upwards to reinforce the infantry attacking Paul's capturing infantry, I send it to the left in order to reinforce the infantry which are capturing the two lower cities in the middle of the southern part of the map. I figured that with the two infantry that I had above, as well as the base I just captured in the northwest of the map, I was fine to take down that infantry that was capturing my comm. tower, and that I would gain footing against Paul in that upper part of the map in no time.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 9

As you can see, I was wrong.

Paul cleverly uses his black boat to send yet another infantry to back up the one capturing the comm. tower. As well, he creates a very solid wall to protect his infantry here: his recon manages to destroy my infantry attacking his infantry, and his APC and infantry stand adjacent to it to ensure that my infantry cannot interrupt the capture. Within the next turn, I will lose that comm. tower, much to my annoyance. From here, I'm now at a severe disadvantage, and Paul's tactics worked against me, regardless of how obvious his plans were. Paul has also built a tank in the lower corner of the map, and is on his way to capturing the second comm. tower on the map. Things aren't looking up for me in the slightest.

Will I get out of this one? Or will Paul completely dominate the battlefield with his 120% attack advantage? Find out, in the next update of Let's Play Advance Wars By Web!

Slur fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 5, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Major_JF posted:

If it isn't too much of a bother could you make the images larger? 150-200% please.

AlphaKretin posted:

I was also thinking they were a bit small, but I wasn't sure if I should say anything because AFAIK you need multiply an image's size by a power of two for it to come out clean, and that'd be a bit big with the square screenshots.

It might distort the images a little bit, but if it's easier for people to see, then I'll edit my images in the original update to accommodate. Mind you: the resolution will vary from map to map, meaning that bigger maps will be of a larger resolution. That might prove problematic in resizing for later updates.

Example Screenshot of a small map at default:

Example Screenshot at 150%:

Example Screenshot at 200%:

If it is necessary, tell me what you guys want me to start using, and I'll change that in the original update, as well as later updates.

Slur fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 5, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

To get a crisp shot at 200%, use Nearest Neighbour or turn resampling off.

I turned resampling off and found myself getting images which didn't look quite as good. Then again, I was being the judge of that at 2 AM, and my eyes are kind of broken. Having some sleep on my hands now, I have to say these actually do look a bit better than the resampled versions. If you wish to take a look at what that looks like, here are some new example screens:

Example Screenshot at 150% Without Resampling:

Example Screenshot at 200% Without Resampling:

Tell me if you guys like one of these better and I'll start using them. Keep in mind that the bigger the map is, the larger the resolution of the map, and I won't be able to apply this for every possible update.

Slur fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 5, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Is.. is the blue army made up of penguins?

Yes.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I never did get a consensus on the screenshot thing.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

dont worry ive put it through the best filters

Take over this LP for me this instant.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

EDIT: Got a response from Amarriner. He got the original site back up.

Slur fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 9, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

EXHIBITION MATCH: PAUL.POWER VS SLUR - PART 2:

So, the last time we left off, Paul.Power was dominating the board with two comm. towers and a tank along the way.

Grey Sky - End of Day 9

I react accordingly: a tank was built on the brand new base I just captured, and the other tank I built on my lower base is marching upwards to meet Paul's units. As many of them as there are, none of them can take down a single tank, let alone two of them. As well, you may have noticed that I built a secondary black boat in the last screenshot of the last part. That thing's now moving with a single infantry northbound, as to capture the upper bases and the seaport which is lying right there for me. Meanwhile, on the southern front, I have my infantry capturing those two cities on the lower end, as to try and gain some sort of foothold into Paul's territory.

Purple Lightning - End of Day 10

It doesn't matter all that much, however. Paul got those two comm. towers just on time, and he can now march up in my bases and not give a single care in the world. He also has his infantry unloaded onto the upper islands, meaning his funding advantage will soon increase, and allow him to deploy stronger units at a faster rate. It's not exactly going well for me as of right now. The funds are even between us as of the moment, each of us sitting at 15000G a turn with 15 held properties. However...

Purple Lightning - End of Day 11

Blowing stuff up is fun. The APC went into full retreat in order to save an infantry, as well as transport other units for later. Paul ended up joining two of his damaged infantry, which is why you see the infantry with 9 HP south of the APC. I managed to damage his recon pretty badly up there, so it moved down and decided to use its last attack on an infantry attempting to capture the neutral city just to the left of it. However, I now have a much bigger problem on my hands as of now: the southern front. The only thing defending those cities to the south there are my infantry just sitting atop of those cities. There are a total of three tanks which are aiming to come down and make my day that much worse on protecting those cities. All of my units, on the other hand, are focused on the upper front as of the moment, and it's going to take a few turns before I can actually get my tanks over there to reinforce my defenses in the south. At this point, the foundation of my defenses are shaking rather heavily.

Grey Sky - End of Day 11

I'm just going to show you how clever Paul is, and why he's going to be hard to beat in the tournament. To mount an attack on my upper front, where four tanks are currently residing, he goes from here...

Purple Lightning - End of Day 12

...to here. Here's all of the things he was able to do in a single turn:

• Build a wall of units around the shoreline, not allowing a single unit to pass through to his upper properties
  • Destroy my infantry surrounding my cities, and have an infantry ready to capture them.
  • Capture 3 properties, putting him in the lead with a 20000G income to my 18000G
  • Prepare his black boat to capture 3 more properties on the southern front

So how do I retaliate?

Grey Sky - End of Day 12

BUILDIN' A NEOTANK! THAT'LL SHOW PAUL!

(Disclaimer: Paul was not shown by the Neotank)

So, there's going to be a few eyebrows raised here over that Neotank. I might as well try to explain why I built that, from the poor recollection of what my past self was thinking. So, I had 34,000 funds at the beginning of the turn that I was building that Neotank. This is because I was building a lot of infantry in the previous turn, rather than building more expensive units like tanks or anything bigger than what I had. I had some options, and the most logical one to a lot of people would be either one of two options: the first would to build a large unit of tanks, as to try and overwhelm Paul with superior numbers. The second would be to build a battleship and use it to control either the top or the bottom of the map with a unit which couldn't be attacked without a huge investment from Paul.

In a recent Skype chat with Paul, he questioned why I didn't take the latter option, which would have put Paul in a poor position in either the top or the bottom of the map, due to the threat of an indirect combat unit shooting down his best units at all times. I explained to him in simple matters why I didn't.

Firstly, tanks can be destroyed by other tanks with simple maneuvering and numbers, and Paul could easily generate those numbers. Secondly, if I were to build a battleship on the lower port, Paul could just focus all of his troops on the upper front and overwhelm me there, putting me into a really bad position. Thirdly, Paul would have most likely retailated with a submarine, sent it down, and sunk my battleship around 4 to 5 turns later. Most of his units are amassed there anyways, and I don't need them focusing on my base up there.

I just got to the point where my funding is on par with his, after all. Paul's nearly at his CO power, and despite Hyper Repair being nowhere near as strong as powerful as its SCOP counterpart, he will still gain a 10% boost on attack and defenses which can overwhelm my top front. Thus, Neotank.

Now that I'm done justifying that thing, let's see how Paul reacts:

Purple Lightning - End of Day 13

Of course it's artilleries. That wall he formulated at the top front's also proving to be effective, as he's capturing another city, as well as doing quite a lot of damage to my tanks. If I charge in too hastily with that neotank, it's going to eat artillery fire as well, assuming Paul is able to position them in such a way that I can't react in time.

But before that...

Our power meters are full, and I'm going to utilize mine as much as I possibly can before Paul negates everything I've done.

Grey Sky - End of Day 13

So, as I mentioned in the last part, Tsunami deals 1 damage to all enemy units and cuts their fuel in half. Hyper Repair is going to negate the damage portion of this next turn. However, that doesn't mean Tsunami is absolutely useless, as I've come to learn. In fact, it does a few things for me: it grants me an attack boost, it allows me to push forward during the turn that Paul's units are all at 9 HP, it allows me to drain Paul's funds by forcing his units to heal on the cities at the beginning of his turn, and it forces Paul to use Hyper Repair if he wants his units in top condition.

This turn is actually really good for me: I'm finally able to turn quite a bit around here. The neotank hasn't been able to do all that much, but my tank which was once on my HQ is now defending my northern city in the southern part of the map. I use my tank to attack Paul's tank, as well as my healthier tanks to take a chunk out of Paul's healthier tanks which is building his wall to the north. What Paul is left with on his northern offensive is a bunch of 9 HP infantry, a 9 HP recon, and an APC which is running out of fuel. That's not that great of an offensive force. However, I'm left with a bunch of fairly healthy tanks. I use my 2 HP tank from the last turn to create a wall between Paul's infantry in the center-left area, the APC beside it (which is also now running out of fuel thanks to Tsunami), and his 4 HP tank adjacent to my tank on the northern city. His 4 HP tank will probably have to spend time wasting a turn before either of those units will be allowed to march forward. Paul's Comm. Tower which he captured in the beginning of the game is now under siege. I've turned this around with a single Tsunami and a few healthy tanks.

A lot of you will be noticing that on this screen, you're seeing a lot of damage tanks, but not a lesser amount of tanks. I personally consider damaging an opponent's stronger units to be a better option than destroying an opponent's weaker units. There's very little a damaged unit can do: it can either act as a wall (as I've demonstrated), retreat and heal, join together with other weak units to create a healthy unit, destroy other weaker units, or suicide into stronger units to leave a dent in them. It can't actively participate in defending a main front in a meaningful way, however.

Thing is, Paul's playing as Andy. Hyper repair is charged. Artillery are coming my way. Paul's also moving a black boat to the south, where he can begin capturing that port which he's neglected for quite some time. The battle's taken some unexpected turns thus far, and it can go either way at this point. Find out what happens next time, as Paul's turn begins, and his plans for a comeback arise.

Slur fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 10, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Difficulties

I promised to not let what happened to Paul.Power's LP happen to me when I began this LP.

What happened to Paul.Power in his LP happened to me. Thus, I'm going to spend this update doing a few things:

• Explaining how the game disappeared and why I no longer have access to it

• Explaining what happened between turns 15 to 45, where the game ended, in an abridged form from my recollection

• Giving you guys the tournament bracket.

The game that I was doing commentary on for the sake of the exhibition match was to act as a way to do a two things. The first of those things was to show off what the Advance Wars competitive environment looked like. The second of those things was to test before the tournament began if AWBW were to run into any technical problems before the tournament would begin. And thus, I seemed to have run into some problems rather early into the game due to some unexpected roadblocks which just happened to befall AWBW just as I was beginning this Let's Play.

Advance Wars By Web is a game which has its own set of difficulties in terms of Let's Playing. Firstly, it's a browser version of a Game Boy Advance game, made by a singular fan back in the last decade as a hobby. He continues to host it off of his own funding, and the ad revenue that he receives from the site is not enough in order to sustain the website itself. Thus, he pays out of pocket to ensure that we continue to receive a convenient online Advance Wars experience. The code, however, has not been updated in nearly a decade. This has led to a few limitations with Advance Wars By Web: on a note of aesthetics are the lack of the animations present within the GBA games which this client were based off of. On a minor technical note is that screenshots from replays only show the end of each player's turns. The biggest detriment to the LP so far, however, has been the stability of AWBW itself in recent days. During the time I was commenting on the playthrough between Paul.Power and I, the site went down a total of two times. Furthermore, just before the second update began, Amarriner announced on the original AWBW site that he was switching hosts, due to the significant increase in costs that the original site's hosting has had over the years.

I was personally under the assumption that the data of Paul's game between himself and I would be deleted on the date of February 19th, as the game ended on January 20th. The reason I was under this assumption is because during Paul's update in the Advance Wars 1 LP where he was keeping track of the game between Roonespism, DaRealKooky, Kennyman666 and myself, the game deleted itself within exactly one month's time. It seems as if something has changed between then and now, and the game has decided to delete itself on February 11th instead, or just over 3 weeks apart from now and when the game ended.

With that being said, let's see how the game ended:

Grey Sky - Day 45

I routed Paul at this point. A lot of you are probably wondering how this might have happened. Well, I'll try and recall the major events that happened between the last update and now from memory:

• Paul used the next turn to activate Hyper Repair. With his units fortified once more, he proceeded to use his Recon that he was hiding behind his wall of infantry in the last part to attack my infantry on the comm. tower. It brought that infantry down to 5 HP, not allowing me to capture the comm. tower immediately upon the next day. I used my Neotank to blow up the recon, and so my capture went unhindered on the comm. tower. Speaking with Paul over Skype, he considers the gambit to capture the comm. tower at the beginning of the game to be a mistake, due to the fact that I took it back so quickly. However, I don't consider it a mistake: Paul was able to keep me under pressure for quite some time using his 2 comm. tower advantage. Paul built a submarine on the leftmost port at the end of the turn, with the modus operandi of sinking my black boat on the bottom-center isle. He wished to secure the bottom-left isle and proceed with a naval assault on me later.

• Paul neglected that bottom-left isle, and I parked my black boat over it. I defended it with a sub in response. The reason I didn't build a cruiser is because I figured I could sink Paul's sub with my own. I was playing as Drake after all, and I did have the naval defensive advantage. Eventually, between our two dived subs, I was the one who landed out on top in the naval war to the south.

• Paul gathered his artilleries behind a wall in the upper area, as to try and secure an advantage at the top of the map. Eventually, the match led itself into a boring stalemate, where neither of us wanted to do anything. With another Tsunami backing me, I used my neotank to try and damage his wall of units. It ended out being a huge mistake, as my Neotank took some heavy artillery fire. We were back to square one again, with each of us spamming tanks to see if either of us could get land superiority.

• I later stopped building tanks for a turn in order to build a battleship on the top-right corner port. I used it to not just break through Paul's wall of units at the top part of the map, but to also destroy his infantry on the center isle at the top.

• The major turn-around point began as soon as I sent my black boat with a single infantry from the top-right isle to the top-center isle. I proceeded to capture the three cities there, to absolutely no opposition whatsoever. Paul was more focused on sinking my battleship that was pelting his units on the upper-front part of the map rather than dealing with his stuff being under siege.

• The 6000G funding advantage I got over him gave me an idea only after a few more turns of me building nothing but tanks and submarines to combat Paul: I should just start spamming Neotanks. With two on the board, I began pushing Paul's units back rather aggressively.

• I built a second battleship to the south with the advantage I received. I used it to destroy Paul's infantry on the southwest isle. Yeah, I spent 28000G just to destroy a single 1000G unit. However, it allowed me to start capturing that isle. I was now 12000G above Paul.

• A few Neotanks and a few more battleships later, and we reached this point.

During the entire match, Paul only activated Hyper Upgrade once, and that was at the very end when he knew he lost the match. He seemed pretty adamant on repairing his damaged units from Tsunami, regardless of the situation. Drake's extra naval defense also saved some of my units which were creating a chokepoint on the upper parts of the map from being destroyed, thus keeping my battleship safe for a few extra turns.

Thankfully, I got done what I wanted to with these updates: show off the competitive environment of Advance Wars. Should you take away anything from these updates, it should be the following:

• Property advantage is key in Advance Wars. Even the slightest amount of funds above your opponent means that you're going to build units faster, and build more powerful units first.

• Infantry are the most valuable units in the game, with their ability to be the most mobile units to seize properties in Advance Wars. Despite being weak in combat, they can handle other infantry, as well as act as excellent walls for chokepoints

• Be aware of the strengths and weaknesses of your COs, and know when to use your CO powers, or save for your Super CO powers. Using them too early might give up the opportunity to make a heavy push later, and using them too late will make you miss the opportunity

• Only build strong units if you know they'll create a significant advantage or prevent your opponent from acting a certain way. A powerful unit can still be taken down by a few well-positioned artillery.

• Try to be aware of what your opponent is planning. If you neglect important parts on the map, you will lose your advantage.

• Slur is bad at managing his own Let's Plays

That being said, the tournament is now going to begin. As I do not wish for this to happen again during the LP, only two matches will be ongoing at any given time during the tournament.

JunpeiHyde vs Endorph
Aston vs Ptarmigans
Kennyman666 vs Doctor Reynolds
Trasson vs TheMcD
Keiya vs Gnoman
Paul.Power vs Anticheese
Zemyla vs Successful Student
Monk E vs GameroftheGame

JunpeiHyde and Endorph will be playing on this map. Aston and Ptarmigans will be playing on this map.

Let the games begin!

Slur fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 15, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

Is there any rhyme or reason to map selection?

Simple, competitive maps which are highly rated. I'm trying to make them small-medium sized, so games don't drag out forever. Some of the other rounds might be a bit different. I'll see.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

here's mine and Junpei's game.

Let me know if I did anything wrong, Slur.

Did you ban stealths and black bombs? If you did, then you did everything right.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

forgot to, but is it cool if me and junpei just have a gentleman's agreement not to build them so we don't have to remake

That's perfectly fine. Thanks for letting me know!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Is it possible that people not pick grey and black? I had a quick glance and really had to strain my eyes to see the difference in colour between units clearly.

If I go any more blind, the commentary is going to be something along the lines of "Junpei is attacking Junpei's unit" for the entire section.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Keiya posted:

Um, why are you playing on awbw.bulletriddenlich.com? That's the site that's going to get wiped when the final migration happens...

It doesn't matter at this point when the wipe is going to happen in March.

EDIT: Okay, apparently it does matter. Seems we got a lot of tech difficulties with the new site which are detrimental to the LP. So, as a favor, please do not use the new site to host your games yet. Thank you.

Slur fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 12, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Well, this tournament is off to a flying start.

The Something Awful Forum > Games > Let's Play! > Let's Play Murphy's Law

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

First Round - Match 1: Aston vs Ptarmigans

Well, it seems as if the tournament is underway, and Aston and Ptarmigans are the first two people who are facing off against one another. Let's take a look at the map I selected:

It seems pretty narrow between all of those islands. Well, much like the map that Paul and I played on, it's a lot more open than it seems, as shores can be crossed from island to island without any hindrance. It might be a little difficult for ground units to navigate through the multiple woods which are in the area as well. The HQs are dangerously close to each players' bases at first sight, but they're going to have to loop around, or use air units to reach them.

Let's take a look at the CO selection this time:

Ptarmigans has chosen Sami, and Aston (known by his underground rap name "ajrizzler") has chosen Max. Since we haven't gone over their abilities yet, I might as well:

Sami:

• Day-To-Day: infantry and mechs have 30% extra attack power. As well, infantry and mechs can capture at a rate 1.5x faster than normal (rounded down to the nearest whole number). All transport units have +1 extra movement. All other direct combat units have 10% less attack power.
  • CO Power: Double Time - Increases the movement of infantry and mechs by 1, as well as increases their attack by another 20%. Movement cost on all terrain for infantry and mechs becomes 1.
  • Super CO Power: Victory March - Increases the movement of infantry and mechs by 2, as well as increases their attack by another 50%. Movement cost on all terrain for infantry and mechs becomes 1. Until the turn ends, Sami's infantry and mechs can capture any property instantly regardless of their condition.

Max:

• Day-To-Day: all direct combat units except infantry and mechs have 20% extra attack power. All indirect combat units have 10% less attack power and have a reduced firing range by 1 square.
  • CO Power: Max Force - Increases the movement of all direct combat units by 1 space, as well as increases their attack by another 20%.
  • Super CO Power: Max Blast - Increases the movement of all direct combat units by 2 spaces, as well as increases their attack by another 40%.

The map is an interesting one for both characters. Aston probably deduced that the map was more open than it actually seemed, and thus choosing Max was a good idea. Max also does extremely well in air combat, and I'd argue he is actually a better choice than Eagle in some air combat situations. Considering there is an airport near the bases at the start of the map, we're bound to see a few battle copters here or there.

Ptarmigans's choice however, is a little bit more unorthodox to me: Sami is an infantry specialist, and handles indirect combat units quite well, providing a complete contrast to the playstyle that Max offers. Normally, she relies on heavy attacks with mechanized infantry and indirect combat units. As well, she handles the capture phase better than any CO in the game. The assumption that I can make from his choice is that he wished to prevent Max's recon harrassment from harming his properties. As well, the enemy HQs are fairly close to each player, so he could probably dive in with a T-copter and capture it later on in the game. So what will win here: brute force or strategic captures?

Blue Moon - End of Day 3

I decided to skip ahead in the game a little bit to the point of where something besides infantry were being built. The first few turns are pretty much the same for both players in Advance Wars anyways, no matter what CO you're playing as: a few infantry are built, they capture a few buildings, and then one player builds something else, marking a change in strategy. In this case, Aston built a recon.

Recon harrassment is a strategy I've never been too fond of myself, yet on multiple occasions I've seen it work: a single disrupted infantry can mean the difference between significant property advantage, or the means to secure important properties on the map. It works especially well for Max, who does get a 20% attack boost on his recons. However, considering that Ptarmigans is playing as Sami, he could easily shrug off the damage that his capturing infantry do take; that 50% extra capture is not to be underestimated by any means. We'll see if this works for him later.

Orange Star - End of Day 6

As you can see here, not a lot has changed in terms of the game state right now, except that Ptarmigans has built an artillery and Aston has built an APC and loaded one of his infantry onto it. The recon is taking a bit of time to get over there due to its tire movement, and thus can only move about 4 spaces per turn on plains, and 2 through the woods.

The artillery is something I wouldn't have built so soon, but Ptarmigans could probably utilize it very well if he utilizes the terrain and his infantry. One of the most common strategies in Advance Wars is to build a wall of infantry around a given chokepoint or around a significant area, and proceed to hide artillery behind it as to pelt whatever comes that way. Usually this has significant results, with the slightest amount of HP from weaker units being sacrificed in order to bring down very expensive units like medium tanks. In this case, taking down Aston's recon will be top priority, as it is the only form of offense that Aston has right now. Mechs would also be a viable option, but Aston's choice is sound, as mechs are far less mobile than artillery.

Orange Star - End of Day 7

More artillery, and Aston is bringing out the big guns, in the form of a tank. At this point, it seems as if Ptarmigans is gaining quite a bit of ground as well. Reinforcing his offense with some artillery, he can probably wall off Aston's offense in a few turns. However, the most significant unit built this turn is the singular T-copter that Ptarmigans built. We'll see what he does with it in a few turns, but it goes worth mentioning that Aston now has that airport as well. Considering Ptarmigans's current unit lineup, it wouldn't be able to handle a flood of b-copters coming that way to deal with those artillery and infantry. Furthermore, that Recon is coming close into Ptarmigans's territory. We might see first blood here soon.

Blue Moon - End of Day 8

Well, we now know what that APC was for: Aston was going for an HQ capture right from the start, backed up by that recon. He positioned his units very well in this situation: using his recon and his APC as shields, his infantry is now free to attempt an HQ capture, with very little hindrance. Aston has also built a b-copter at the upper front of the map, and he's using it to reinforce his capture in the south. It's probably not going to make it on time, but perhaps Aston is planning something different with that b-copter altogether.

Meanwhile, Ptarmigans loaded up his t-copter with a single infantry and is heading north. At this point, Ptarmigans is probably going for the HQ capture as well. With only a single infantry anywhere near Aston's HQ, it could be an easy capture to make if Aston hasn't caught onto this plan.

However, Ptarmigans's only reliable way of attacking Aston's units currently is with that singular b-copter. Those artillery aren't positioned well enough yet to do any damage to Aston's tank or recon. Perhaps Aston might overwhelm Ptarmigans before this happens, or succeed in that HQ capture.

Blue Moon - End of Day 9

This is quite the morton's fork Aston has weaved: if Ptarmigans doesn't attack the infantry capturing the HQ with his b-copter, he'll lose. However, if Ptarmigans attacks that infantry with his b-copter, Aston can counterattack with his 120% attack power b-copter, or that anti-air on the lower front (depending on how Ptarmigans positions his b-copter). Considering that attacking that infantry is the only option to stay in the game, Ptarmigans is going to take a huge loss within the next turn. However, Ptarmigans has some options: he can go out of his way to use his artillery to now lay waste to that tank which attacked his infantry. He can also position his t-copter right below Aston's HQ, drop off his infantry and begin a game-winning capture. This might actually be Ptarmigans's game due to Aston's negligence.

Orange Star - End of Day 10

Oh this doesn't look good...

So, Ptarmigans made a mistake here: not attacking the tank that was coming in with his one artillery, instead opting to bring both his artilleries south and position them around the infantry, recon and APC. When I was speaking to Ptarmigans about the game, however, he said that he thought he made a bigger mistake which costed him the game, and initially I agreed with him. He misclicked and placed his t-copter one space away from where he wanted it: one space south of the HQ, with his infantry being dropped off on top of the HQ.

The misclick is not as big of a mistake as I initially thought, though: I thought Ptarmigans would have had the game if he dropped his infantry right on top of the HQ, as I didn't think the battle copter could reach the infantry on time to intercept. However, after doing a quick count, it wouldn't have been victory for Ptarmigans, as the battle copter would have interrupted the capture successfully, with just being 6 squares away from being able to fire on the HQ.

That being said...

Blue Moon - End of Day 10

The tank to the south Aston built went unhindered and destroyed the artillery with the damaged recon. The battle copter did as predicted and destroyed Ptarmigans's b-copter. Aston's northernmost recon went across the shores and did a number on Aston's artillery, bringing it down to 6 HP. Aston is also now beginning to spam tanks, and Ptarmigans doesn't have much of a defense built against this assault.

Orange Star - End of Day 12

Ptarmigans is retaliating with a more serious assault after his HQ capture failed. He's bringing out some anti-air, a b-copter, and now a mech in order to help him compensate for his losses. Though Sami isn't the best direct combat specialist, a Sami anti-air at full HP can still take down any b-copter at full HP, as long as it's not Eagle's b-copters. However, it might be too little too late: Aston has muscled his way into Ptarmigans's territory pretty heavily, and not a single viable indirect combat unit remains for Ptarmigans to fall back on.

Blue Moon - End of Day 13

This is one turn after Aston activated Max Force. Knowing that Ptarmigans's last hope was for him to capture the HQ via Victory March, Aston sends some tanks up to intercept, and parks his infantry on his HQ to prevent any further capture attempts. This spells the end for Ptarmigans.

Blue Moon - End of Day 16

Blue Moon - End of Day 17

4 turns later and this is the end result. As a last-ditch effort, Ptarmigans tried to spam bombers to deal with anything that was around his HQ. However, with enough of a push into Ptarmigans's territory, and that APC and recon walling off any efforts to capture the HQ, Aston was able to go for the capture and secure the game.

The end result of the match made me wonder if Ptarmigans should have done anything differently in order to secure his victory. I think the investment into indirect combat units a little too early and the heavy investment into the HQ capture is what really did him in: if Ptarmigans were to have brought forth some mechs a little earlier and brought them up with some T-copters or APCs, he could have potentially pushed Aston back a little bit before it was too late. The HQ capture might have been a bit more successful as well if Ptarmigans were to have secured the capture a little better, instead of rely on Aston to ignore the potential for the capture.

It's kind of ironic how Sami is the hardest character to get a stealthy HQ capture with, considering she is the infantry and capture specialist. However, most aware players will know the possibility is available, and nothing feels worse than having an advantage and losing to one well-timed, unimpeded Victory March. Max made for a better choice on this map than I initially expected, with his direct combat units being all that Aston needed to secure a quick victory.

Next time, it's Endorph vs JunpeiHyde! Stay tuned!

Slur fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 17, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

First Round - Match 2: JunpeiHyde vs Endorph

The first rounds are over, and Aston moves onto the next round. Let's see who he's going to be facing in the quarterfinals: Endorph, or JunpeiHyde.

As per usual, let's take a look at the map and the CO selection:

A strange aspect of this map are the pre-deployed t-copters which are lying on the corners of each side of the map. This will help the players try and seize important properties much quicker than most games. As well, there are pipes which are running along each player's bases, allowing for chokepoints to be built more easily, as well as a unit which barely gets seen in any Advance Wars play: the piperunner. There are two airports which are easy to seize for each player at the beginning of the game, and two comm. towers mark the middle of the map, to where each player must race for them to gain physical superiority with their units.

The CO selection is very unorthodox this game: Von Bolt vs Lash. Let's go over their stats:

Von Bolt:

• Day-To-Day: All units gain a 10% bonus to their attack and defense.
  • CO Power: N/A
  • Super CO Power: Ex Machina - a 2x2 range missile strikes down the most expensive set of enemy units. The missile does 3 damage to said units, and those units cannot move next turn.

Lash:

• Day-To-Day: Any defensive bonuses that terrain offer are added to offense as well.
  • CO Power: Terrain Tactics - All unit's movement costs are reduced to 1, no matter the weather.
  • Super CO Power: Prime Tactics - All unit's movement costs are reduced to 1, no matter the weather. Terrain bonuses are doubled.

Von Bolt has one of the best day-to-day powers out of any CO in Advance Wars By Web, having a positive offensive and defensive boost on all of his units without any drawbacks. However, his lack of CO power and his long-charging super CO power do not make him the most popular choice among players. Ex Machina was nerfed from Von Bolt's counterpart in Advance Wars Dual Strike as well, only hitting 2 spaces instead of the regular 3. This doesn't mean that Von Bolt is a bad CO by any means. In fact, a well-timed Ex Machina can mean the end of a player's assault or chokepoint. As well, his extra offensive and defensive power can give him a significant edge in combat situations where both players are at an equal point in the game.

Lash is a stranger choice for this map. The map mostly consists of plains and roads, so Lash won't be able to utilize most of her bonuses with her ground units to their absolute maximum potential. However, the worst Lash can become is a CO with average units like Andy. Prime Tactics on major points such as the comm. towers or some of the woods which are strewn across the map can protect valuable units as well. Let's see how things play out:

Jade Sun - End of Day 2

Well, it seems like it's snowing on day 2 already. Since we haven't seen any snow as of yet in any of the games shown off, snow doubles the movement cost of all units (except for Olaf's units). That doesn't really mean all that much, considering it's the capture phase. The most striking question at the beginning of this game is how Endorph and JunpeiHyde will utilize their T-copters in the upcoming turns.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 3

They seem to both have the same idea: capture the base which is over to the side of their initial starting point. It almost seems obvious, but yet some players are a bit more aggressive than that: they might decide to use their t-copter to aim towards central properties to take them before their opponent does. It's a good move: bases should be the top priority of the capture phase, and any central bases are far more important to take than cities or comm. towers in the same area. I wouldn't advise trying to rush a base if you're severely underfunded though. Usually that goes badly.

Jade Sun - End of Day 4

Now this is an interesting choice by both Endorph and Junpei: they decide to use their airports right off the bat to build a secondary t-copter. Considering how spread apart the cities are on the map, this isn't necessarily a bad idea: if they end up seizing more properties through the extra infantry that they bring over with that t-copter, it'll pay off in the long run. As well, they have a bit of reinforcement if he tries to go for the comm. towers.

Their playstyles vary from mine drastically: at this point, the immediate thought I would be having is to use my newly captured base in order to spawn infantry en-masse and have them march towards the cities over the pace of a few turns, while saving my funds for a battle copter or tank to reinforce them. I prefer their idea a lot more to mine.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 6

As I'm typing this right now, I'm beginning to realize that Junpei is continuously making a mistake: he keeps forgetting to capture that base in the lower left corner in its entirely. That's probably going to be a hindrance in the long run.

On the other hand, Endorph seems like she's ready to begin an assault and end this capture phase: she built a recon on her middle base. Considering how much road there is in the center of the map, the recon will probably get the most out of its 8 movement, and give Endorph some control over the center of the map. Seems like Endorph also might be capturing the comm. tower on the left soon. She also has her units closer to the right comm. tower than Junpei does. If she captures both, she'll have 130% attack units, which is something you do not want to get hit by every turn.

Junpei has his eyes on the center of the map, it seems. Two of his infantry are already in the middle of capturing that part, which Endorph has neglected. If that recon gets too close, Junpei could probably retaliate with a battle copter and lay waste to Endorph's recon if it goes unprotected.

Jade Sun - End of Day 6

Junpei's mounting an assault on the left side with his two infantry to prevent the potential capture of the comm. tower there, as well as built an APC to help him along the right side. As predicted as well, a b-copter was built just as Endorph built that recon. If Junpei can mobilize fast enough, he might actually gain the upper hand on Endorph. As well, he went back to capture that base...

Except he forgot to click the capture button. You have no idea how many times I've done that as well in other games.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 8

Things are getting intensive in the center of the map. Endorph retaliated b-copter with b-copter, and now has a defense for his recon going into the center. She built a tank last turn and is ready to send it to the center as well. One of Endorph's more clever moves this turn was putting the t-copter in front of her infantry capturing the comm. tower, preventing Junpei from stopping the capture with his infantry which would have been in range. Transport units tend to make for great meatshields against things which aren't AI in the first Advance Wars game, as we learn here.

Meanwhile, Junpei has nearly destroyed the infantry capturing the comm. tower on the left side. Two more are about to take its place, though. He might need a few reinforcements on that side to secure it. The problem with doing that right now is that the b-copter that Junpei built is going to need to stay focused on the center of the map to defend the center from Endorph.

Jade Sun - End of Day 8

...Or not.

Seems as if Junpei is doing an extremely hard push on the left side and does -not- want Endorph to take that comm. tower. He's building some very offensive units to take over in the center as well: a tank and a b-copter. Considering that Endorph hasn't truly mobilized in the center yet, this was a good solution.

He used his two t-copters that he had to move two of his infantry over to the left side of the map, thus reinforcing his infantry which were damaged by counterattacks from the infatry Endorph was using to capture. He's also beginning a capture on that very same tower. His APC brought out his infantry on the right side, so they're fairly even over on that side of the map, for as few units as there are over there. There isn't much that Junpei can do to stop Endorph during the next turn from capturing that tower, though. However, Junpei can still take that back later.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 9

Jade Sun - End of Day 9

Endorph made quite the mistake during the end of her turn: she put her b-copter right in range of Junpei's b-copter, with nothing to defend herself with. Though that anti-air was deployed, there isn't much that it can do in its current position: the mountain is blocking it off from reaching the center of the map. Junpei now has control over the center of the map. He also finally captured the base in the lower part of the map, meaning that he can secure the left side of the map more easily now. Junpei's infantry on the right side are wrestling really well with Endorph's infantry, meaning that he might take back that comm. tower in a few turns. Things are looking grim for Endorph right now, with how much Junpei has taken the center from her.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 10

I really like how Endorph responds here: the wall that she's established will allow her to minimize the damage that Junpei's two copters will do within the next few turns. It also will allow her to mobilize the anti-air units that she's built if Junpei tries to bust through and take a significant advantage over the center.

Seems as if Junpei's built some artillery as well. He must be confident in his front line in the center right now.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 11

Rain was the last thing Endorph really wanted to see right now. It hinders her from mobilizing those anti-airs in the center. However, it also prevents Junpei from moving up those artillery to where he wanted to position them as well. Seems as if the b-copter is continuing to assault the front lines, but it isn't making much in terms of progress in breaking through Endorph's main force. It did do quite a number on that tank though, as well as Endorph's recon.

The wall that Endorph has around her capturing infantry in the center is at least helping her take some properties away from Junpei, and it may be more important in the long run that she does do that. As well, she might be able to bully Junpei out of the center if those anti-air are able to get in there soon enough.

What's her T-copter doing in the south there anyways...?

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 12

Well that's just plain silly.

It seems that Junpei didn't build a unit on his rightmost base, and Endorph decided to cover it up with a T-copter. This means that until that t-copter is destroyed, Junpei can't build any more units off of it. There goes any momentum that Junpei has on the right with that one move.

The snow has kicked in as well, and Junpei's units are taking quite the thrashing in the center. Endorph's patience and endurance has paid off, and with two tanks and two anti-air rushing the center, she might regain her advantage over the map as a whole.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 13

"Might" is no longer a hypothetical.

Endorph was able to destroy Junpei's b-copter and tank within this turn. Junpei's assault in the center is heavily damaged, but Junpei isn't out yet: the infantry near his base is chipping away at the t-copter on his base, meaning he'll be able to deploy units again very soon. As well, he captured the comm. tower on the right. With the extra offensive power, he might be able to wrestle the center away again.

Jade Sun - End of Day 13

Junpei's moves here in terms of seizing the left and right sides are cleverly executed: to stall for time on the right, he put his APC over the comm. tower, to prevent any potential infantry captures for the next few turns. On the left, his infantry rushed his comm. tower on the left which was under siege. His tank opts to attack the anti-air in the group of units in the center, bringing it down to 5 HP. This will help with keeping his battle copters less choked if they mount an assault later.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 14

However, was it the best move? He sacrificed a tank in the process, and I have to wonder: if Junpei played a bit more defensively there, would he be better off? Considering that his city is only under siege this turn, I think he might have been.

Oh, and Endorph replaced her lost t-copter on the base that was blocking Junpei's left side with another t-copter. It's back to the drawing board for Junpei.

On that note...

Seems both players now have their Super CO Powers charged. Let's see how they're utilized.

Jade Sun - End of Day 15

So, this is the turn that Junpei activates Prime Tactics. The significant defense boost might have worked last turn as opposed to this one, as that APC could have possibly been saved, and his comm. tower might have been his for just a little while longer. However, it does allow him to gain an offensive bonus on the central front, and help defend his tank in the center from heavy attacks within the next turn, making it harder for Endorph to destroy. Those annoying t-copters on his base finally went away too, meaning he can now start building units on the rightmost base again. With a few battle copters coming around the corner it might be hard for Endorph to truly rush Junpei's base, and this battle might be drawn out a little longer.

Unfortunately for Junpei...

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 16

Ex Machina strikes at the most opportune time. Since Junpei's units were clustered together as much as they were during the snowfall, it hit a significant chunk of them, and they're now sitting ducks for Endorph to march in and take during the next turn (specifically his artillery and anti-air). His sole battle copter isn't going to be able to stop this assault alone. As well, much to my delight, Endorph builds a piperunner to defend her base. It's rare I get to see those things.

Junpei still has a significant control over the left section of the map, but the rightmost part is left completely unguarded. A few more turns will show if Junpei retailates to this.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 17

With little that he could do during his last turn, Junpei moved the few units he could forward, built the few units he could, and ended his turn. Meanwhile, Endorph formed a little interesting wall in the center which doesn't leave Junpei for many options in the upcoming turns. Four tanks and two battle copters form this wall, and a wall like that is pretty well fortified. Junpei could retailate with artilleries, but Endorph's 120/110 units will take quite some time to get around. Furthermore, any direct assault on the wall will probably be the end of Junpei's units, as Endorph has a counter to most any ground unit sitting right at that wall with her b-copters and tanks. Junpei does find a way to cut through this, however:

Jade Sun - End of Day 17

With his artillery and his battle-copter, Junpei was able to destroy the 9 HP tank on the left. Subsequently, he manages to also hit one of Endorph's b-copters for a significant amount of damage. His units on the left are marching upwards, taking properties as they go, and two tanks now form an assault on the right side of the map. Junpei might be able to come back from this!

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 18

Or not. Seems as if Endorph sealed up the seams again on the lower chokepoint, and destroyed that b-copter which managed to pass on through, as well as another b-copter and an artillery. The piperunner seems to be defending the left side of the map as well, just in case Junpei wants to try anything sneaky like stealth-capping Endorph's bases. Junpei's 5 HP tank disappears from thast side of the map, leaving not much else left.

Cobalt Ice - End of Day 20

Eventually we reach this point. Endorph was able to muscle her way into Junpei's base, and her wall of units prevented Junpei from interfering with an HQ cap from Endorph's mech. Endorph won the match as a result.

Junpei's biggest mistakes in this match were simple human errors. Advance Wars By Web's interface isn't exactly forgiving, as we've seen from these last two matches: bases aren't exactly shown well when they're captured. As well, Junpei struggled quite a bit with those t-copters blocking off his bases. The snow combined with Ex Machina hit right when it needed to as to secure Endorph's chokepoint towards the end of the game. A more defensive game would have benefitted Junpei, but there's little you can do when your units are forced to cluster up like that.

This game had a lot to teach as well from both players, namely in how important transport units can be. Not only can they act as fast ways to secure far away properties, but they can also serve as walls and assistants in capturing bases after their initial duty is done...

...as well as annoying yet hilarious base-blockers.

Congratulations to Endorph and Aston for reaching the quarterfinals regardless. Our next matchups are with Trasson facing TheMcD, and Kennyman666 facing Doctor Reynolds. The former contestants shall be facing each other on this map, while the latter shall be playing on this map. Good luck!

Slur fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 12, 2016

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I think you got pronouns right elsewhere, but I noticed this slipup:

Ah darn! I knew I slipped up somewhere but I couldn't find it during proofreading!

I'm sorry! It's edited now.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Sami's name rhymes loosely with "ban me". I might grant her that wish.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Hey, Olaf is awesome and probably my favorite CO in this sad, Grit-less world. Although he'd need his AW1 portrait to really shine.

You can actually go to the AWBW options and change the portraits.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

playing sturm is being french.

:france:

Fanart please.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

minus sami vs sami, CO variety has been pretty high.

A part of me is tempted to make it so players cannot choose the same CO twice, but I'm not sure how that'd go over with everyone here. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Istvun posted:

Doing it mid-round 1 is not the correct time to make that rule.

TheMcD posted:

Wouldn't that require the first player to declare what CO they were using and give the other player a chance to do some kind of counterpick, if possible?

Sorry, I should clarify:

If someone chooses a CO in the first round, they cannot choose that same CO in the second round, and so on.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I'm glad I got to hear some opinions on the matter. I won't change anything then.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Looper posted:

yeah, i kinda wish you could choose which game your co is working from but that would make bans a bit complicated

AW1 Max and AWDS Eagle are the two that immediately come to mind that'd be banned.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I emailed Amarriner about the new hosting and replays recently. If the old site keeps going down, I'll see what I can do to set up games on the new site, assuming Amarriner gets everything working.

However, I'm adamant about preserving Kennyman666 and Doctor Reynolds's game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah but then you get antitank spam

Grit Antitanks.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

KennyMan666 posted:

I've been wondering if it would be too strong for Adder to have a straight up +1 movement. Maybe only on ground vehicles, and with -1 movement on air units?

+1 movement as a D2D would be ridiculously overpowered. You could constantly threaten attack and your opponent wouldn't be able to do anything about it except back off again and again.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

If the site isn't back up by tomorrow, I'll shoot Amarriner another e-mail.

Also, I might get Paul.Power and Anticheese's game along the way, as I think I can handle the workload.

Thanks to everyone for the support on this thread! You guys are the best.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So I guess Kenny and mine's game is borked? Oh well.

It'll be back up within the next few days, if Amarriner does something about it. Don't worry; you haven't lost anything. Yet.

Only ways this can mess up is if Amarriner loses the information in the transfer process, replays are lost forever (and thus this LP in the process (oh please no)), or if I take too long to update the thread after everything comes back up.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I sent off that e-mail today. I also asked him what the replay situation was like on the new hosting.

If replays start working there, then we can have a temporary backup just in case everything manages to be destroyed. However, I'd have to change the rules of the tournament so that the AET and Boot Interval were set to their absolute minimums, as to ensure data wasn't lost in the final transfer over.

...I kind of want to do that for the main tournament anyways, but I don't want to change rules mid-round.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Two steps forward, one step back: the old site is back up again. However, if you go to the "your games" page, there's a bunch of SQL errors.

Joyous!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Also, the time for booting continued to count during that downtime, so right now, my game says that it's 1 day until boot.

Okay, with your game it doesn't matter all that much because you just began. However, I'm going to be really annoyed if I lose Kenny and Reynolds's game.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Well, it's back to "down for maintenance" for me, even though I'm going directly to the game page. loving brilliant.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

wow you're doing terrible :v:

I know, right? I think I might surrender after VMing next round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Ptarmigans posted:

AWBW is up and fully operational. Get your moves in while you can!

The CO power meter image is broken, as well as the SQL tables on the "your games" page.

I cannot wait for replays to start working on the new hosting.

Slur fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 23, 2016

• Locked thread