Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morbus
May 18, 2004

When running up a steep hill

1. You will be less efficient than if you just walked

2. You will be well into the anaerobic regime, so no matter what you do, or how hard you train, your endurance is going to be very limited compared to running normally.

3. At any level of fitness, your range will be lower if you run up steep hills, and your overall pace wont be that much faster since you ain't running up any steep hill that quickly for that long.

So unless you are in a race (and even then not too long of one) I wouldn't recommend trying to run up steep hills. For moderate/low grades, try taking shorter strides. In general, try to reduce your pace and shorten strides when going up hill to maintain more or less similar effort / heart rate. If this requires you to walk instead of run, then that's probably the best thing to do. If you want to be able to dash up steep hills for longer before getting gassed (though, you will run out of steam sooner or later), I guess just practicing doing that and doing some strength training would help. Even super duper ultramarathon trail runners will walk up steep hills. Interval training is supposed to be good for improving VO2max which might push forward the threshold for how steep a hill you can run while staying aerobic, but I dunno.

For the stumbling, let me know if you figure it out... I just gave up and stick to wearing shoes substantial enough that I don't hamburger my feet. Trails have roots and rocks and holes and bumps and all kinds of poo poo...if I stare at the ground the whole time I can do a reasonable job at avoiding them, but that's no fun, is it?

Black bears are pussies. If you are in an area with lots of them, sooner or later you will have an encounter and this will become clear. Carrying bear spray, watching videos of black bears encountering peoplerunning away like little girls, and making a lot of noise while you run may give you peace of mind. I guess if you do surprise a bear, you should definitely stop running, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread