Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Sweet info, 5'd. So was Beastmode just a really good grinder?

Something I'm curious about is how much run usage correlates with how soon the rusher retires. Obviously an every-down back will be more likely to become bad sooner than a lesser used guy, but by how much? Does platooning actually help enough to be worth the extra roster spot and cap hit, does it just depend on player type/skill, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Forever_Peace posted:

SAS can go gently caress itself.

The TFF motto

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I never did stats in school because it looked boring but you make it interesting enough to keep my attention, so gjh5.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Adrenalist posted:

How do you feel about looking at QB runs and scrambles? I'm curious to see how, say, Wilson compares to Lynch, or how Brady compares to Kuhn (my hunch is that they're the premiere short-yardage guys at their positions.)

And try to throw Tebow scrambles into the comparison.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Any quick hits on draft prospects, or is ncaa data not as easily available?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Hell yeah Rawls, that was a great game last year. Hope he keeps it up. :hawksin:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
One post closer to next page, since this page is starting to lag for me...

btw, DotY started
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776557

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Or maybe Ernie will just hire you as his disciple.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Forever_Peace posted:

Chapter 5: Context is Everything

This gives football a sort of beautiful equilibrium. Everywhere you look, you can see the evidence of the struggle by the defense to take away the most valuable option available to the offense. The strategic decisions by the coaches in different game situations trace a visible path through the statistics. It means that there is a constant pressure to stay unpredictable, to innovate, and to convince the defense beyond a shred of doubt that you could do anything at any time. Make guessing harder for them than it is for you. This is something a lot of stat-heads often fail to appreciate: sometimes, you want to make a suboptimal call on purpose, because it changes what the defense believes you are capable of for the rest of the game, the season, or even your career.

“Meaning that, once in a blue moon, you might just want to consider handing the ball to Jackie Battle on a 4th and 21.”

This was a great chapter. Maybe for a final chapter eventually you can go into a good game and just break every playcall down and how it influenced the flow of the rest of the game? A sort of theory-in-action chapter?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I deffo intuitively read it like the standard tv view, a rusher going from left to right, which is correlated with most of your graphs. Standardizing all the ones with rushing distance to all be across the X axis that way sounds like a good idea.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Great quick hit there

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Nice. Imo I'd at least put the individual links to the quick hits on a side of the main page, as a quick intro for curious people to click on to get a quick visual idea of what you're doing, maybe even one of the cooler graphs at the top of the page as a logo/intro or something?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mikey Purp posted:

drat, that was awesome Forever_Peace. I don't think I've ever been able to follow and understand what was going on in a play so thoroughly.

Conversely, I now realize how much I don't know poo poo about actual football.

Well it's not like the announcers ever explain it, that's why I mute them.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wish I could help but I havent seen html code in 15 years :/

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Will you do a postmortem of the season, comparing with predictions? Like you expected Rawls to have a big year - did he? He was hurt for a bit, plus our o-line blows.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

:5: This is the only football thread I'm going to read this offseason so gj :)

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Wow McCoy is a pretty good runner! That new graph system is amazing dude, I'd love to see poo poo like that on espn instead of blowhards talking about grit.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Forever_Peace posted:

Guys I'm only halfway through writing this chapter and it's already as long as chapter 5 was. Hope y'all have reeeeeally long attention spans for nerd stats.

This is a book won one paragraph at a time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I wonder how beast mode will do this year.

Now to read chap 6...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Leperflesh posted:

Fantasy rankings are heavily skewed (or should be) by both receptions and scoring, whereas this surprise rating is entirely focused on yardage (which also means it's still underrating goal-line backs and under-valuing x-and-goal carries).

So I don't think the numbers are particularly comparable. You'll find some high-ranked fantasy guys who are also very surprising, but also a lot that aren't, because they're receiving backs or specialize at the goal line.

I think the surprisal stat takes more weight for a 5 yard carry on 2nd and 4 vs on 2nd and 6. That example was in the chapter somewhere, anyway, I got a little confused in the details and counter-examples. But that would be a clutch factor?

I dont think there's any possible way to adequately compare a receiving back with a grinder type, they're very different roles and completely alter schemes for offense and defense.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Is that a graph of your erection for big data

I like big data and i cannot lie

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DJExile posted:

That's... actually really clever! You basically made something between fantasy basketball and tabletop card games.

And 5vs5 is a good number too, enough for some variation between players, you could have a 'bench' for substitutions, etc. :allears:

I'd also institute a team total value salary cap system, so you could have a few mediocre cards and a couple greats, or all average levels, etc. to prevent deck stacking
I made a homemade Triple Triad deck like that a few years ago, it was fun to tinker with.

Edit: back on topic, i'm eager to see what your qb runs analysis is, you always hear that announcer dicksucking about tom brady qb sneaks, i'm curious how much of it is bs or is dependent on the Oline, and what other qb's/teams do with the run (esp DangerRuss)

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 2, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How bad was Trent rich?
it'd be cute to have a "Trench" line like baseball's Mendoza line

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Any rookies you think might break out this year, or do you not follow college much?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Rip rawls

Maybe cable will get canned and we get a real o line next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Were the panthers the best? Who was worst? Have you been able to isolate standout defensive guys by tracking them if they switch teams, or is that too team-scheme-dependent and maybe premature on data collection too? I know the seahawks D fell apart this year from injuries, did runners get noticeably better against us over the season?

• Locked thread