Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Fantastic.

Regarding data. I have weekly (actually, twice weekly, Thursday and Sunday) depth charts and injury reports, scraped from rotoworld.com. Only for 2015 though. LMK If this will be useful and I'll turn it into CSVs.

And there's some charting data available here, going back to 2000, for a surprisingly reasonable price of $49.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

Hell yes let's do this. :iia:

Might take another year of data to get anything particularly useful, but we could always figure out the export/merge/munge scripts now and start poking around with some visualizations. Drop me a PM and let's get this ball rolling!

I remember you've been scraping some other stuff too, right? Let me know if you have other stuff you'd like to contribute.

I'll just give you the whole thing. Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vi0j9tt3r386v96/2015-weekly.hdf?dl=0

This is an HDF file so you can load it in Python with pandas.read_hdf (it was written by pandas, so this is the native format; you may have to install the extra package "tables"). You can also load it from R, although I've never tried: http://pandas-docs.github.io/pandas-docs-travis/io.html#io-external-compatibility

I recommend you use a HDF viewer to browse the tree, but here's how it should be: <week>/<day (thursday or sunday)>/<source>/<description>. If the data requires further groupings, they are added on (there are a lot of projections here, and for many sites it was easier to scrape separately by position or by fantasy scoring system).

For example:
01/sunday/rotoworld/depth
01/sunday/rotoworld/injuries
15/thursday/fantasypros/fanduel

Hope that's enough info for you to get data out. Let me know if you have trouble.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Love the chapter! Turn this into a stats textbook and I will convince my university to shower you with that sweet, sweet textbook cash.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm teaching intro stats lab this semester, and I'm going to use your Richardson vs. Lynch example to start talking about sample size issues. Is the full text posted anywhere besides SA? I'd like to link it so that students can read the whole thing if they're interested.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Jekyll, the default system for GitHub pages, looks good and should be relatively easy to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It's not free and I didn't check that it had exactly what you want, but I would be surprised if it doesn't (I think it has who was on the field for every play, not sure about roster status): http://armchairanalysis.com/

Certainly cheaper than the enterprise data vendors like STATS.1

• Locked thread