Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As desperate as you are to not talk about the elephant in the room, it's where we stand. This conversation is what kills the Dems on downticket elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

Thread delivers a certain type of Dem self-righteously extolling the virtues of shooting themselves in the foot while explaining that they're not really shooting themselves in the foot and even if they were it doesn't really hurt. Besides even if it did hurt, shooting yourself in the foot is morally superior to being able to walk into town to do things that will help the people there right now. We can help people later because that day will definitely come after we finish shooting our feet off. History is inevitable.

A reckless and dangerous gun owner who should not be allowed to handle a gun is an...interesting metaphor for gun control.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

falcon2424 posted:

Sure. They should work building diversity across the different subcultures in the US. Right now, the "left"/"right" division in politics -- especially in terms of normal citizen participation -- seems to mirror a cultural split.

Tell me that a blogger has a Prius, a preference for Pho over Applebee's, and a tendency to specify 'American Football' and I'll bet that they lean democratic. Tell me that another blogger has a Pickup Truck, considers Chinese-takeout to be exotic, and actively watches professional wrestling, and I'll bet that they lean to the right.

There are a number of ways that this came to be. Michael Church's essay on social class might be a good start.

But the end result is that democratic policies seem to come packaged with a bunch of irrelevant cultural trappings.

The democrats should fix this by looking for, and supporting, bloggers or activists who're coming from outside the democratic cultural bubble.

That Church article is not enlightening at all about how social class works. It's a weird version of Marxism with the American petite bourgeoisie/"liberal elite" positioned as the heroes of the 20th century who got sidelined by neoliberalism. He uses precise statistics to make it seem scientific despite pulling them out of thin air. Apparently you're stuck with the class you're born into even if you become president? I also love how this overview of the past century of labor relations only mentions unions once, and only as a way the working class keeps pay unnecessarily high for a few jobs still.

Jacobin put out a few articles in their last issue about how the Dems pivoted away from labor. Apologies if they've been mentioned already, but they're far better than this.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/02/geismer-democratic-party-atari-tech-silicon-valley-mondale/
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/02/democratic-party-realignment-civil-rights-mcgovern-meany-rustin-sanders/ (Admittedly I haven't finished this one yet)

The Dems need to build up their state parties again. The black vote is in trouble regardless of enthusiasm if voting restrictions are expanded. Yglesias can be an idiot sometimes, but he has a good overview of the Dem weakness at the state level.
http://www.vox.com/2015/10/19/9565119/democrats-in-deep-trouble

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

I'm afraid at this point I must assume you are innumerate.

code:
1986 - 1990: 9.26% decrease in black turnout, 0.6383% decrease in white turnout
1990 - 1994: 5.36% decrease in black turnout, 1.285% increase in white turnout

standard deviation from 1990 - 1994 for black voters = 1.48492
standard deviation from 1990 - 1994 for white voters = 0.424264

standard deviation from 1986 - 1994 for black voters = 3.09892
standard deviation from 1986 - 1994 for white voters = 0.30
1990 - 1994: 5.36% decrease in black turnout, 1.285% increase in white turnout

Now I already know what you're going to say, so lemme go ahead and post it for you:

Wrong, but I'm tired of doing it for you so feel free to run the numbers yourself and post here when you figure out how wrong you are. Or just stop posting. Either works.

Cool, great post! That would make an excellent topic for a gun control thread, you should start one!

At this point I'm going to assume you're not arguing in the remotest of good faith, are you loving serious? You're taking the percentage of a percentage so that you can inflate the number just enough to say that 5% is significant.

Black turnout decreased by 2.1%, white increased by .7%

Also you're being obtuse as gently caress because you're conveniently ignoring just how badly the Democrats lost the white vote in that election, bad enough we got new terminology to to describe it bad, bad enough that not only did Republicans get a majority of white southern voters for the first time in history, they did it by 28%. White men alone went from going for the democrats 51.2% to 48.8% in 1992 to going for republicans 69.5% to 30.5% in 1994.

But yeah I'm sure that 2% decrease in black voters is what caused the historic losses, somehow not in 1992 mind you after the sharpest of the drop in turnout, but 2 years later after the drop off mellowed a bit. Must be some time delayed or something.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3595625?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well yes, appealing to white supremacists is probably a viable strategy for taking the house away from Republicans.

Rebrand as the Dixiecrat party.

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

At this point I'm going to assume you're not arguing in the remotest of good faith, are you loving serious? You're taking the percentage of a percentage so that you can inflate the number just enough to say that 5% is significant.

Black turnout decreased by 2.1%, white increased by .7%

Also you're being obtuse as gently caress because you're conveniently ignoring just how badly the Democrats lost the white vote in that election, bad enough we got new terminology to to describe it bad, bad enough that not only did Republicans get a majority of white southern voters for the first time in history, they did it by 28%. White men alone went from going for the democrats 51.2% to 48.8% in 1992 to going for republicans 69.5% to 30.5% in 1994.

But yeah I'm sure that 2% decrease in black voters is what caused the historic losses, somehow not in 1992 mind you after the sharpest of the drop in turnout, but 2 years later after the drop off mellowed a bit. Must be some time delayed or something.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3595625?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

I feel bad now because it seems you are actually innumerate. Let me help you out. Voter turnout is by definition a percentage, the ratio of the number of people who voted to the total number of people eligible to vote. To look at the relative change in voter turnout, you have to then take the percent difference (a percentage of a percentage). You can also look at the absolute difference, which would be measured in percentage points, that is black turnout decreased by 2.1 percentage points, not percent.

Your assertion was that voter turnout was flat amongst all races between 1990 - 1994. If your assertion were true then all races would have a fairly small standard deviation, which does not seem to be true. Oh and by the way, the units for standard deviation in this case are percentage points, which I listed right there for you. I'll admit I should have listed the units, but hey at least I didn't swap "%" for "percentage point" and then accuse you of not arguing in good faith.

Thanks for posting a link to some actual evidence, but I at no point disagreed with the idea that white southerners swung to the republicans.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

VitalSigns posted:

Well yes, appealing to white supremacists is probably a viable strategy for taking the house away from Republicans.
It worked for the better part of a century at the national level and still works great in Chicago and New York.

There's another thing the Democrats could do to encourage minority voting. Take a stance against police abuse of minorities at the municipal level where it actually matters. Chicago, New York, and Oakland/SF being cop-murder-central doesn't look great for the party.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 16, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Beneath every white supremacist is a new dealer longing to get out. You just have to ply him with machine guns and he'll vote for whatever. Promise.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

I feel bad now because it seems you are actually innumerate. Let me help you out. Voter turnout is by definition a percentage, the ratio of the number of people who voted to the total number of people eligible to vote. To look at the relative change in voter turnout, you have to then take the percent difference (a percentage of a percentage). You can also look at the absolute difference, which would be measured in percentage points, that is black turnout decreased by 2.1 percentage points, not percent.

Your assertion was that voter turnout was flat amongst all races between 1990 - 1994. If your assertion were true then all races would have a fairly small standard deviation, which does not seem to be true. Oh and by the way, the units for standard deviation in this case are percentage points, which I listed right there for you. I'll admit I should have listed the units, but hey at least I didn't swap "%" for "percentage point" and then accuse you of not arguing in good faith.

Thanks for posting a link to some actual evidence, but I at no point disagreed with the idea that white southerners swung to the republicans.

Did fishmech get a new account?

I'm seriously asking

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

Did fishmech get a new account?

I'm seriously asking

*claims turnout was relatively flat* "Hey man why are you calculating the relative difference, that's not fair!"

Why are you still posting in this thread? The only cogent argument you've made so far has been for better math education.

Now onto actual suggestions to win back the house. Several people mentioned fixing gerrymandering before, so that's the approach I'd like to focus on. I know someone mentioned taking a "I know it when I see it" approach, but my fear would be that would simply shift the power to gerrymander from the legislature to judicial appointments.

My question is, what is the fundamental characteristic of districting we wish to preserve by reforming gerrymandering? It's easy enough to design a precise measure of how gerrymandered a district is, but that measure is going to depend on what we wish to preserve. As far as I know, most research in this area tends to focus on the geometric shape itself:

https://www.maa.org/sites/default/files/pdf/upload_library/22/Polya/Hodge2011.pdf posted:

Maceachren provides a nice summary of several such measures, classifying
them into four categories: (i) those that are based on ratios of perimeter to area;
(ii) those that compare the characteristics of circles related to the given shape (for
instance, inscribed or circumscribed circles); (iii) those that compare the given shape
to other standard shapes, such as squares or other polygons; and (iv) those that in some
way measure how far the area of the given shape is dispersed from its center. Taylor
suggests that most measures of shape compactness reflect four essentially dis-
tinct characteristics of shape: elongation, indentation, separation, and puncturedness.

I feel like focusing on funky looking shapes is the wrong approach. The intent of gerrymandering is to win elections, so I would propose a strict criteria for gerrymandering, any redistricting that would have changed the results of the last election. But I don't think that's a criteria Republicans would ever allow.

I personally think moving to 100% proportional representation would be more effective, and much harder to argue against for Republicans.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

*claims turnout was relatively flat* "Hey man why are you calculating the relative difference, that's not fair!"

Why are you still posting in this thread? The only cogent argument you've made so far has been for better math education.

You're a loving idiot: 1) that's not what standard deviation means, 2) seriously you're calculating standard deviation with a sample size of 2!? 3) In my field standard deviation is typically used as a way to calculate error, frequently for the purposes of seeing whether the sampling size was adequate which makes (2) even more hilarious.

Secondly you're arguing over the whether the relative difference of a handful of percentage points is more relevant then the absolute difference in support of a theory that's already been shown to be completely retarded. Seriously you're trying to argue that a 2% decrease in turnout among black is responsible for going from victory to the greatest electoral defeat in the second half of the 20th century, a historic event noted and studied for the how dramatically the white vote flipped.

You're sitting here arguing that the Arizona really sunk due to spontaneous metal fatigue and responding to being shown video of Japanese bombers by trying to be smug about having corrected someone on the p-n value of steel (and still being wrong).

edit: so again, is this a new fishmech account?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

DeusExMachinima posted:

Thread delivers little info on how Dems can reclaim the House.

Thread delivers a certain type of Dem self-righteously extolling the virtues of shooting themselves in the foot while explaining that they're not really shooting themselves in the foot and even if they were it doesn't really hurt. Besides even if it did hurt, shooting yourself in the foot is morally superior to being able to walk into town to do things that will help the people there right now. We can help people later because that day will definitely come after we finish shooting our feet off. History is inevitable.

You're so far from self-awareness that if the word 'introspection' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of your synapses it would not equal one one-billionth of the ignorance you've shown at this micro-instant.

If you were an AI, Dr. Turing would delete you. :boom:

We must ban guns so gun banners can stop shooting themselves in the foot.

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

You're a loving idiot: 1) that's not what standard deviation means, 2) seriously you're calculating standard deviation with a sample size of 2!? 3) In my field standard deviation is typically used as a way to calculate error, frequently for the purposes of seeing whether the sampling size was adequate which makes (2) even more hilarious.

1) Yes it is, in fact it follows from the definition of standard deviation (The average distance from the mean). If something was 100% flat it would have zero standard deviation.
2) Yes, since that's the only data you provided and that you seem interested in discussing. Sample size is irrelevant, but if you're feeling sassy feel free to find the mean and standard deviation over all available samples and then plug the results for 1994 into the corresponding normal distribution if you really wanna compute the priors. You'll still be devastatingly wrong though.
3) Yes you can use standard deviation to calculate standard error, but this is completely tangential to calculating the standard deviation of a sample. The fact that you don't know this makes me genuinely concerned for you.

A reminder of what your actual claim was:

Jarmak posted:

Census data says everyone's turnout was relatively flat

And this is what you're saying now:

Jarmak posted:

Secondly you're arguing over the whether the relative difference of a handful of percentage points is more relevant then the absolute difference

You made the claim that the turnout was relatively flat and are trying to use the absolute difference to prove you point. Now please, stop being embarrassingly bad at math and shut the gently caress up.

skeet decorator fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 16, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

2% difference is relatively flat.

The fact that standard deviation is a useless measure for a sample size of two does not change because you don't have access to a larger sample size.

But please keep rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic that was your argument. In sure it was a 2% drop in black turnout not the 30% swing in white males voting republican that caused 1994.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Jarmak posted:

Except that the democratic party actually did better with minorities in 1994 then 1990, gently caress the difference was with white males. The 1994 election was where the term "angry white males" to describe a voting block comes from. Gun control wasn't the sole driving issue but it was a major contributor to the culture war bullshit that drove that election. It's also kind of amusing you say "union members" since union members are the primary gun owning demographic in the Democratic party.

Seriously? "someone had an opinion" is the evidence you were looking for? Cause Clinton has been very openly arguing exactly the same thing I am, and the Democratic leadership (as well as Clinton and Lieberman) believed gun control lost them the 2000 election as well:

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/bill-clinton-warns-democrats-against-overreaching-on-gun-debate/

http://www.salon.com/2007/04/18/dems_and_guns/

You're just restating the argument I already anticipated you making and responded to. Yes of course DLC Democrats like Clinton and Gore want to claim that culture war poo poo like gun control happened in a total vacuum because it makes their defeat seem like the result of a principled but misguided stand rather than a self inflicted wound.

You are completely ignoring the abandonment of traditional Democratic constituencies, not just blacks but, perhaps more importantly from an institutional perspective, organized labour. You're ignoring the huge significance of NAFTA, which was a much more visible and prominent issue in public debates at this time than gun control. And you're ignoring the extent to which Gingrich benefited from recent developments like the rise of right wing media, or the ways in which Republicans innovated by campaigning collectively around a few signature issues, embodied in the contract with America.

What you're doing is grasping at a lot of straws to defend what was very clearly on it's face a post hoc fallacy. You pointed to an incredibly complicated and historically significant election that had all kinds of different factors going into it and tried to reduce it to gun control. I suspect that on some level you're perfectly aware of the fact that at most gun control was one of numerous important factors explaining the outcome of the 94 midterms but I think you've committed to your position at this point and don't want to back down and are thus doubling down on your initial statements that gun control was the defining issue of that election.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Also as contentious as the last page has been at least the debate about gun control and Democratic electoral strategy is currently somehow connected to data and history at the moment instead of people lazily sniping at each other. Someone reading this thread could refer to the different arguments, read up on the events mentioned or the articles being cited, and draw their own conclusions in a way that is hard to imagine happening a few pages back when essentially nothing of substance was being said by anyone.

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

2% difference is relatively flat.

The fact that standard deviation is a useless measure for a sample size of two does not change because you don't have access to a larger sample size.

But please keep rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic that was your argument. In sure it was a 2% drop in black turnout not the 30% swing in white males voting republican that caused 1994.

* southern white males

Dude, you're the one who made the claim about turnout being relatively flat. Absolute and relative difference have precise definitions that you should maybe look up if you're going to use them. A 2 percentage point difference is not "relatively flat" by any definition. Again sample size is 100% irrelevant, go ahead and work out the math for what the std deviation of two points represents geometrically.

My argument has been consistent, you have now decided to switch to arguing that the absolute difference was flat. It took you a while to get there...

skeet decorator posted:

Now I already know what you're going to say, so lemme go ahead and post it for you:

Jarmak posted:

But there were way more white dudes than minorities sure white people's turnout only increased slightly while minority's continued to decrease significantly, but they made up for it in absolute numbers!

Wrong, but I'm tired of doing it for you so feel free to run the numbers yourself and post here when you figure out how wrong you are. Or just stop posting. Either works.

What are you even arguing at this point? Your original point was that gun control cost Dems the 1994 election, yet the evidence you've provided seems to be arguing it was the southern strategy? And sure I 100% agree that the southern strategy played a large part in the 1994 elections, but if you ever decide to do the math you'll notice that if turnout hadn't decreased for black/hispanic voters the election would have been quite different.

My original position was never that minority turnout was the biggest factor in Dems losing in 1994, merely that it was a more significant factor than the reactions to gun control. If 100% of the white southern men who switched over did so because of gun control then you might have something close to an actual argument.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

Absolute and relative difference have precise definitions that you should maybe look up if you're going to use them.

Really!? This is what you're loving sperging about? That I used the term "relatively" in casual conversation as a stand in for "in the grand scheme of things" instead of doing a precise statistical analysis?

Fine you want to play robot I'll loving bite, only lets not cherry pick data this time shall we? The STDEV for black voter turnout for all years in that data is 3.58%, the mean is 39.83%, the 1994 turnout was 37.1% , or just barely more then half a standard deviation.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

VitalSigns posted:

A valid argument except that dropping AWB doesn't hurt minorities because that's not what they're being shot with.

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

Really!? This is what you're loving sperging about? That I used the term "relatively" in casual conversation as a stand in for "in the grand scheme of things" instead of doing a precise statistical analysis?

Fine you want to play robot I'll loving bite, only lets not cherry pick data this time shall we? The STDEV for black voter turnout for all years in that data is 3.58%, the mean is 39.83%, the 1994 turnout was 37.1% , or just barely more then half a standard deviation.

Cool now do that for all races and tell me again how flat the change in turnout was across the board. I'm not sperging about anything, you've been constantly shifting your argument and being disingenuous. My entire position has been that minority turnout decreased significantly from 1986-1994, nothing you've posted contradicts that. Nor does anything you've posted support your assertion that gun control was the primary driver of the Republican vicory. The first time I posted the stats I asked you to make your argument using absolute numbers, but for some reason you keep skipping over that part, several times now:

skeet decorator posted:

skeet decorator posted:

Jarmak posted:

But there were way more white dudes than minorities sure white people's turnout only increased slightly while minority's continued to decrease significantly, but they made up for it in absolute numbers!

So I'll ask you one last time in plain english. How many more votes would the Dems have had if turnout was constant over that period? What do you estimate the number of southern white men who switched over to the Dem's did so because of gun control is?

DeusExMachinima posted:

A valid argument except that dropping AWB doesn't hurt minorities because that's not what they're being shot with.

No one is arguing about the effectiveness of specific gun control policies. As long as mass shootings are a thing that happens there will be a strong contingent of Dems supporting stuff like the AWB. Now let's loop all the way back to the beginning. Why is this the one issue that will bring more votes for Dems than it loses them if they drop it? Jarmak showed how effective appealing to southern white men was, so why not go full anti-immigrant, anti-welfare, anti-whatever?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Democrats should quit supporting stupid and ineffective gun control policies and actually push for consequential reform. This would earn more honest respect for gun control advocates from basically everyone than bills like the AWB, which are correctly perceived as being more about culture war bullshit than effective anti-crime policy. As long as the Democrats are perceived by rural poor gunowners as targeting them and their hobby with gun violence as a fig leaf, rather than seriously looking at gun violence in a way that preserves reasonable or even tactilol hobbyist practices while actually addressing the major sources of gun violence like handguns, that demographic will vote D at a lower rate than it otherwise would.

Is the number of voters who would flip or lose their excuse not to vote at all very large? :iiam:

Does that mean there's a good excuse for continuing to pretend stupid legislation isn't stupid and that really, guys, we're actually trying to control guns here with these policies? Not really. Especially since the demographics in the Democratic party that care about gun control don't care about banning tactilol poo poo either and would like real gun control.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is such a joke that being anti-regulation on guns would do anything to win back the House. Allowing anti-regulation Democrats to run, sure that's one thing, but no one has named a single district where an anti-regulation Democrat can't win, but magically could if California went anti-regulation.

Whitecloak
Dec 12, 2004

ARISE

Trabisnikof posted:

This is such a joke that being anti-regulation on guns would do anything to win back the House. Allowing anti-regulation Democrats to run, sure that's one thing, but no one has named a single district where an anti-regulation Democrat can't win, but magically could if California went anti-regulation.

The party needs to be effective in elections outside of California. Guns don't help the Dems all that much in places like Ohio-- toning down on the guns and taking on lunch pail issues might help win back the industrial heartland. Sneers and jeers at rust belt rubes while pushing evermore offshoring doesn't win many votes round here. A challenger who pushed protectionism in a serious and muscular way, regardless of party, would secure the entire region.

And unsure it would help in the near term, but a real plan to eliminate student loans would make a significant number of under 30s yours for life. If the Dems stopped playing around with privatization and education debt as panacea for the working class they wouldn't be in this bind to begin with. Basically, less culture war platitude more real econ- though I don't think the party has much interest in this angle as it might cut off the donation gravy train.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Whitecloak posted:

The party needs to be effective in elections outside of California. Guns don't help the Dems all that much in places like Ohio-- toning down on the guns and taking on lunch pail issues might help win back the industrial heartland. Sneers and jeers at rust belt rubes while pushing evermore offshoring doesn't win many votes round here. A challenger who pushed protectionism in a serious and muscular way, regardless of party, would secure the entire region.

And unsure it would help in the near term, but a real plan to eliminate student loans would make a significant number of under 30s yours for life. If the Dems stopped playing around with privatization and education debt as panacea for the working class they wouldn't be in this bind to begin with. Basically, less culture war platitude more real econ- though I don't think the party has much interest in this angle as it might cut off the donation gravy train.

I completely agree with your premise, but I believe your strategy is the current strategy. The Democratic Party across the South is more conservative, anti-regulation, pro-liberty, whatever.

Pick a state that was once a Blue Democratic stronghold and is now a strong Republican state then look at the elections where that state's congressional delegation switched. Look up those elections and you will find that the vast majority don't involve gun rights as a campaign issue. Guns effect turnout, sure. Guns effect donations and lobbying.

But at the end of the day there are very few districts left where a true anti-regulation Democrat (see campaign ads shoot bills) can't win because of the national party's gun control policies.

I do really agree with the central tenant that it is incredibly hypocritical the way the left treats rural America. Guns included. I just don't think the guns part of it is the key to the house.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I think getting rid of DWS and her 'war on women' line would help. Running on cultural issues is a lose for Democrats. If you want the South and Midwest, you have to run on economic issues. Huey Long minus the racism, if you can walk that tightrope. Just get some bloated Glen Beck-looking doughboy with a blue tooth and a cell phone clip and get him to scream red in the face about pure economic, FDR-style "freedom to choose your own path without worrying about losing the farm" social welfare. No social issues. Avoid guns race and police and make vaugely pro-military statements.

The challenge would be I think trying to protect abortion rights with this model of candidate, maybe recruit women veterans a la Tammy Duckworth who would fight for it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Edit

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
They statistically can't. Democrats have passed through the 'generational window' which is a fancy way of saying millennial median age has passed from generationally a socialist leaning ideology, generated while in state education to a 'family' set of values upon entering the workforce. We saw the same swing in the mid-70's onwards to the mid 90's where even core DNC policies became for all practical intentions RNC policies under Clinton (mid first term to back half second term).

At best the DNC can pivot towards "Bush lite", the Clinton strategy, or go for broke and go full retard on a Bernie-socialism angle which is polarizing and unelectable. At worst, DNC policies are least effective in deflation (depressions) and are probably going to be impossible to implement given monetary policy constraints. A fancy way of saying Bernie bucks is the most progressive and most fantastic thing which will never happen for the next 80 years. The Left will of course blame America for this and not their own Strategists.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

I completely agree with your premise, but I believe your strategy is the current strategy. The Democratic Party across the South is more conservative, anti-regulation, pro-liberty, whatever.

Pick a state that was once a Blue Democratic stronghold and is now a strong Republican state then look at the elections where that state's congressional delegation switched. Look up those elections and you will find that the vast majority don't involve gun rights as a campaign issue. Guns effect turnout, sure. Guns effect donations and lobbying.

But at the end of the day there are very few districts left where a true anti-regulation Democrat (see campaign ads shoot bills) can't win because of the national party's gun control policies.

I do really agree with the central tenant that it is incredibly hypocritical the way the left treats rural America. Guns included. I just don't think the guns part of it is the key to the house.

Anti-regulation Dem is exactly the wrong strategy. "Huey Long minus the racism" as menino put it is probably the best template to try to win more white votes without splitting the party. Now, you somehow need to develop candidates like that which I'm not sure the party currently is very good at.

The Atlantic's recent piece on the development of the Working Families Party in New York is interesting in part because it shows how they're guiding the pool of future Democratic candidates. Now, New York is weird because candidates can run on multiple parties' tickets, but the idea behind it shouldn't change.

quote:

The theory behind helping people like Amparo—a working-class, lesbian Latina who never saw herself as a potential officeholder until the WFP came calling—is that when seats open up for state legislature or Congress, it’s these lesser officeholders that the Democratic Party will draw upon. (Many New York politicos say the WFP is more organized and effective than the state Democratic Party, and Democratic candidates routinely draw on WFP staff for their campaigns.) In the municipal elections across New York State in November, 71 of the WFP’s 111 downballot candidates won—including Amparo, who beat her Republican challenger by just 21 votes.

If you think a working class white guy in the South who's cool with minorities and only gives a poo poo about economics can win a House election, you've got to get him some experience and connections somehow. Connecting with and cultivating local party infrastructure is the best way to do this probably. This is probably just a pipe dream at the moment though that will happen as soon as the South becomes unionized.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Hal_2005 posted:

They statistically can't. Democrats have passed through the 'generational window' which is a fancy way of saying millennial median age has passed from generationally a socialist leaning ideology, generated while in state education to a 'family' set of values upon entering the workforce.

Then why are millennials overwhelmingly voting for Bernie?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hal_2005 posted:

They statistically can't. Democrats have passed through the 'generational window' which is a fancy way of saying millennial median age has passed from generationally a socialist leaning ideology, generated while in state education to a 'family' set of values upon entering the workforce. We saw the same swing in the mid-70's onwards to the mid 90's where even core DNC policies became for all practical intentions RNC policies under Clinton (mid first term to back half second term).

What's your evidence for this? From what I've read voting trends are established in early adulthood and people's generational cohort is a better predictor of how they will vote than their biological ages are:

People who came of age under FDR voted reliably Democrat their whole lives, and people who came of age under Clinton were reliable Obama voters even though they're in their mid-to-late 30s now. Meanwhile 18-year-olds who voted for Ford and were still voting Republican 40 years later.

Appealing to older Nixon/Ford/Reagan voters and selling out the current generation to get those votes is paying off well for Republicans right now, but this unceasing barefaced loving over of millenials and post-millenials is probably digging a hole that's going to drown them in 20-30 years.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 17, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jazerus posted:

Does that mean there's a good excuse for continuing to pretend stupid legislation isn't stupid and that really, guys, we're actually trying to control guns here with these policies? Not really. Especially since the demographics in the Democratic party that care about gun control don't care about banning tactilol poo poo either and would like real gun control.

:agreed:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Define "real gun control". There is no definition for "reasonable gun control" and Democrats aren't in good faith on this issue. But let's continue to put our heads in the sand that it is not a liability.

gohmak fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 17, 2016

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

gobbagool posted:

Why do you consistently post in threads about American politics when your contribution is rarely more than smarmy condescension? Is your life that devoid of meaning?

Smarmy condescension is good, it gets me on probation extra fast. That way I don't get to waste hours writing angry walls of text. Seriously though, American politics are fun and baffling and I don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to discuss them. You're welcome to post in EuroPol.

I was simply expressing how absurd I found the idea that being anti-gun was what cost Democrats the house, and more importantly how people who complain that Democrats don't talk about important left-wing issues and focus on guns are the ones who can't stop talking about guns themselves. I find that in this latest campaign, guns are not really an issue. Clinton makes noises about guns and her F from the NRA when prompted by a debate moderator, but otherwise she's content not to talk about them. Bernie is all about economic justice and all, doesn't speak about guns except to say that "we'll need a broad consensus" which is code for "I won't do poo poo about guns". And yet there are still people who say "yeah the Democratic party has got to drop gun control!".

Democrats can win back the House by being left-wing. That's all. No need to incessantly talk about guns, gun control, gun rights, and all that trash. It's frankly annoying.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

gohmak posted:

Define "real gun control". There is no definition for "reasonable gun control" and Democrats aren't in good faith on this issue. But let's continue to put our heads in the sand that it is not a liability.

real gun control = gun control which targets things contributing to the largest proportion of gun violence, not getting worked up over tacticlol poo poo because black guns with holes and rails are scary.

you can still debate over how much is reasonable, but at least target something worthwhile so you're not blatantly being an uneducated moron who is easily distracted by... oooh shiny

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Feb 17, 2016

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

blowfish posted:

real gun control = gun control which targets things contributing to the largest proportion of gun violence, not getting worked up over tacticlol poo poo because black guns with holes and rails are scary.

you can still debate over how much is reasonable, but at least target something worthwhile so you're not blatantly being an uneducated moron who is easily distracted by... oooh shiny

banning handguns is a non starter.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Democrats can win back the House by being left-wing. That's all.

Agreed. And do a better job educating Americans how Republican obstructionism is harmful to progress

gohmak fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 17, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

gohmak posted:

still don't ban tacticlol poo poo because it's a dumb reaction by idiots that accomplishes next to nothing

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Hal_2005 posted:

At best the DNC can pivot towards "Bush lite", the Clinton strategy, or go for broke and go full retard on a Bernie-socialism angle which is polarizing and unelectable. At worst, DNC policies are least effective in deflation (depressions) and are probably going to be impossible to implement given monetary policy constraints. A fancy way of saying Bernie bucks is the most progressive and most fantastic thing which will never happen for the next 80 years. The Left will of course blame America for this and not their own Strategists.

Good job ignoring all the evidence that millenials are delaying household formation because they cannot find decent jobs and are overloaded with debt. Or for that matter ignoring the generational divide that literally every observer of the democratic primary has commented on.

The actual danger of basing an election strategyvob millenials is that it's not clear how many of them will turn out to vote. The idea you're proposing -- that they have apparently settled down economically and have become supportive of the economic status quo -- is such a bizzate and out of touch analysis that if I didn't know better I would assume this was a jokr post.

Anyway, this is exactly the kind of analysis I would expect from someone who claimed mere months beforehand that Alberta would never elect the NDP. As u recall you had a similarly asinine just-so story in that case as well about how Alberta was the province of hard working salt of the earth types who had fled the big government east and who would never ever vote for a leftist party.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

gohmak posted:

Then allow me to suggest, at the risk of becoming too abstract here, that you spend your time on something you can accomplish but that has also quantifiable significant public safety results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

DeusExMachinima posted:

Then allow me to suggest, at the risk of becoming too abstract here, that you spend your time on something you can accomplish but that has also quantifiable significant public safety results?

I'd say end the war on drugs but the left is far too deep in the pockets of public employee unions for that to ever fly

• Locked thread