Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Pac-Man And The Ghostly Adventures 2

You're probably at least aware of the semi-new Pac-Man television series, and may also be aware of the accompanying jingle and slogan. Regardless of whether that's your thing, the games might be! The two 3d platformers based on the show are actually fairly well designed, and I think they go beyond what most would expect from a tie-in product. They're colorful, unique, and just plain fun.

This is the second game in the series. It has a much more arcadey approach than its predecessor, and I think it puts that to good use in its design.You have to think about how to best maximize your score. and not waste potential opportunities to grab points. Successfully reaching the Hi-Score for a stage rewards with a Gold Medal, and this is what we'll be doing. The combat also ties in with traditional Pac-Man in a way that I think befits a 3d-platforming rendition, and I'm surprised it wasn't done this way earlier. You spend a vast majority of the game actually chomping ghosts and chaining attacks together, and the feedback for that is immensely satisfying.

Thank you so much for watching!

Fan-Art:

The crossover everyone asked for, by azren

A close look at Pac-Man's tongue by SystemLogOff

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sessile
Feb 27, 2008

drat, but Pac-man's blue ice tongue is disturbing.

The game confuses me. Obviously it's a cash-in for the Pac-man IP, but it feels like it wants to be an actual game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

So yeah, almost all of Pac's superpowers feel really out of place and a little gross.

It's all downhill from here folks!

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Sessile posted:

drat, but Pac-man's blue ice tongue is disturbing.

The game confuses me. Obviously it's a cash-in for the Pac-man IP, but it feels like it wants to be an actual game.

SystemLogoff posted:

So yeah, almost all of Pac's superpowers feel really out of place and a little gross.

It's all downhill from here folks!

In spite of it being a cash-in, it's actually a really good game, I think. Skepticism is understandable, though.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Oh, I don't mean for the game itself: I just mean the powers will keep getting more strange from here.

I've seen some weird screencaps from the show as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SystemLogoff posted:

Oh, I don't mean for the game itself: I just mean the powers will keep getting more strange from here.

I've seen some weird screencaps from the show as well.

The show is... really gross, and it knows it's gross. There's an episode where Pac-Man barfs up ghost eyes to scare off an alien invasion.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Though, if there's something positive to be said about this particular game, it's that it doesn't contain Pacster's infamous balloon form.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Includes ghosts, be wary.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As I understand it, the Pac-Man in the Ghostly Adventures series is meant to be a new character altogether and has no relation to the classic version beyond name whereas the Pac-Man in Smash is the classic version, even appearing in the same stage as Mario and Mr. Game & Watch in All-Star Mode.

It wouldn't really make sense to use the new design for the classic version since they're different characters.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 5, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

As I understand it, the Pac-Man in the Ghostly Adventures franchise is meant to be a new character altogether and has no relation to the classic version beyond name whereas the Pac-Man in Smash is the classic version, even appearing in the same stage as Mario and Mr. Game & Watch in All-Star Mode.

Even if he's meant to be classic Pac, his character design is from Pac-Man World, so that's a bit confusing. I was also saying that it would make more sense for branding purposes to include the new Pac-Man, but maybe they'd have to get Disney involved for that to work out.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Even if he's meant to be classic Pac, his character design is from Pac-Man World, so that's a bit confusing.

Not really since the Pac-Man World series is set in the classic universe so it's technically the same character just with an updated design similar to how Mario's design got periodically updated with each console generation. Ghostly Adventure is its own separate universe loosely based on the classic universe.

quote:

I was also saying that it would make more sense for branding purposes to include the new Pac-Man, but maybe they'd have to get Disney involved for that to work out.

There's also the issue that the Ghostly Adventure series is not well received basically nullifying the only benefit including Pacster would've potentially had.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 5, 2016

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?
Why does Pac-Man have cat ears?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

FicusArt posted:

Why does Pac-Man have cat ears?

I think those are his eyebrows.

Chimera-gui posted:

Not really since the Pac-Man World series is set in the classic universe so it's technically the same character just with an updateed design similar to how Mario's design got periodically updated with each console generation. Ghostly Adventure is its own separate universe loosely based on the classic universe.

There's also the issue that the Ghostly Adventure series is not well received basically nullifying the only benefit for including Pacster would've potentially had.

Point taken.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I watched Pac-Man and the ghostly adventures with my little cousin a couple of times. It's honestly not that bad, and has some cool style to it. It's a kid's show that I know I would've been hooked on if I were a kid, and it has some pretty cool references to the old timey arcade days, so it's pretty neat. It's an ambitious way to reboot the series, and even if it doesn't get kids to buy the games, it still sets up kids to be more open to Pac-Man, so mission achieved.

The fixed camera really helps because this game is actually gorgeous. So far they've hidden secrets cleverly, but I'm sure it will all descend to assholish cruelty soon enough.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EagerSleeper posted:

I watched Pac-Man and the ghostly adventures with my little cousin a couple of times. It's honestly not that bad, and has some cool style to it. It's a kid's show that I know I would've been hooked on if I were a kid, and it has some pretty cool references to the old timey arcade days, so it's pretty neat. It's an ambitious way to reboot the series, and even if it doesn't get kids to buy the games, it still sets up kids to be more open to Pac-Man, so mission achieved.

The fixed camera really helps because this game is actually gorgeous. So far they've hidden secrets cleverly, but I'm sure it will all descend to assholish cruelty soon enough.

They actually generally hide the collectibles in clever places. I think my favorite hidden collectibles are in World Four. The only problem I have is that they sometimes aren't hidden at all.

I also like the TV show, though I understand it could grate on some people.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Large and in charge

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I know that the abduction of Pacster's parents is a plot point in the cartoon but I assume that there's going more references to the cartoon such as Paclantis and the Grindertron, right?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I know that the abduction of Pacster's parents is a plot point in the cartoon but I assume that there's going more references to the cartoon such as Paclantis and the Grindertron, right?

Almost everything in the game is a reference to the TV show's storylines.

Grinder-Tron is a giant, evil version of Sir C's assistant that Dr. Buttocks made for... some reason. He attacked the city in the show as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

What are ghosts doing in the ruins of a lost civili... Oh.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

While editing this video, I also recalled some music from the yet-to-be-seen third world that actually blew me away. It'll be fun when we get there.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The game looks really good and polished, but those UI and HUD elements, as well as the world/level select....urgh.
But it does look like quite a bit of fun, it's just not very good at linking that fun together in a coherent way.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The game looks really good and polished, but those UI and HUD elements, as well as the world/level select....urgh.
But it does look like quite a bit of fun, it's just not very good at linking that fun together in a coherent way.

Graphically it's pretty great, but I agree about the level select. It was carried over from the previous game and I wish they had changed it.

Though, the game does have a glaring flaw we haven't encountered yet.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser

Sessile posted:

If you think this game is a dumb cash-in you should have seen the first one. The learning curve was atrocious, the challenges were garbage, and the final boss was kind of a joke in design (but bullshit hard mechanically). It wasn't even tied into the story of the show and they didn't get ANY of the actual voice actors in for it except Pac-Man.

And then they made this game which is basically the game they should have made in the first place but I guess they needed to test to see if they could actually get interest in it. Which it did thankfully, but unfortunately around the same time the cartoon's scheduling started getting shot and the interest went downhill fast by the time this one came out. Namely because they kept releasing it in Japan first because they thought America liked it less.

So you know, the same reason Namco keeps loving itself and it's IPs in the rear end.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
One cute touch with Granite Pac is that his nose retracts into his face whenever you're rolling around presumably to avoid any negative outcomes of rolling onto the nose such as having it break off or give him an unsymmetrical roll like what happens in Katamari Damacy when your character rolls up something long.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

TCat posted:

If you think this game is a dumb cash-in you should have seen the first one. The learning curve was atrocious, the challenges were garbage, and the final boss was kind of a joke in design (but bullshit hard mechanically). It wasn't even tied into the story of the show and they didn't get ANY of the actual voice actors in for it except Pac-Man.

And then they made this game which is basically the game they should have made in the first place but I guess they needed to test to see if they could actually get interest in it. Which it did thankfully, but unfortunately around the same time the cartoon's scheduling started getting shot and the interest went downhill fast by the time this one came out. Namely because they kept releasing it in Japan first because they thought America liked it less.

So you know, the same reason Namco keeps loving itself and it's IPs in the rear end.

I actually really liked the first game too, but I find this one a huge improvement overall. The final boss is a lot easier after you figure out that Betrayus's gun can't shoot upwards.

Chimera-gui posted:

One cute touch with Granite Pac is that his nose retracts into his face whenever you're rolling around presumably to avoid any negative outcomes of rolling onto the nose such as having it break off or give him an unsymmetrical roll like what happens in Katamari Damacy when your character rolls up something long.

I always thought so too.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I haven't caught up yet, but something is bothering me; maybe I'm missing something, but Pac-Man seems to be keeping the eyes of his defeated ghosts. That really creeps me out for some reason. Is there any explanation for this, either in the show or the games? Also, holy poo poo, there's a new Pac-Man show!?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

azren posted:

I haven't caught up yet, but something is bothering me; maybe I'm missing something, but Pac-Man seems to be keeping the eyes of his defeated ghosts. That really creeps me out for some reason. Is there any explanation for this, either in the show or the games? Also, holy poo poo, there's a new Pac-Man show!?

In the first game, and in the show, he burps them out after the battles are over. In this one, he uh... doesn't. And I don't know why!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

In the first game, and in the show, he burps them out after the battles are over. In this one, he uh... doesn't. And I don't know why!

I just assumed he does that off screen since we don't need to see that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I just assumed he does that off screen since we don't need to see that.

That would make sense in-universe, it's just odd since they go out of their way to show it in the first game.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That would make sense in-universe, it's just odd since they go out of their way to show it in the first game.

Maybe he's taken a hardline stance against misbehaving ghosts, and now they are forever trapped in his bottomless void? :black101:
I get the feeling that the show would really start to wear on me with the number of things they feel the need to stuff "Pac" into. It's kinda like some of the MLP stuff, where it just feels forced, and for the sole purpose of being cutesy (yes, I know they're kids shows, but still...).
Although, I might forgive them if there's a politically active superhero called "Super-Pac." :downsrim:

On another note completely, I [really like your commentary style. It's just got a conversational tone, and it feels like you're interacting with the game at the same time as the viewer. It's fun! :3:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

azren posted:

Maybe he's taken a hardline stance against misbehaving ghosts, and now they are forever trapped in his bottomless void? :black101:
I get the feeling that the show would really start to wear on me with the number of things they feel the need to stuff "Pac" into. It's kinda like some of the MLP stuff, where it just feels forced, and for the sole purpose of being cutesy (yes, I know they're kids shows, but still...).
Although, I might forgive them if there's a politically active superhero called "Super-Pac." :downsrim:

On another note completely, I [really like your commentary style. It's just got a conversational tone, and it feels like you're interacting with the game at the same time as the viewer. It's fun! :3:

It's important to keep the "let's" part in Let's Play to me, even if I'm the only one talking with my actual voice.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

How does carnival ride make baby

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In the original Ghostly Adventures game, the pellets are called "Globe Energy". In the Pac-Man Dash game for android based on the Ghostly Adventures series, the pellets are called "cookies".

Why

Also, the 3ds port of Ghostly Adventures 2 is just a straight conversion of the console games. That's kinda insane.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 10, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In space, nobody can see your framerate dropping.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
This game really jumps around in its settings, huh.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Geostomp posted:

This game really jumps around in its settings, huh.

To be fair, the original Pac-Man World jumped around in its settings as well, with the portals for those settings actually being in the vicinity of each other on the same island hub.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The original Pac-Man World also contained a spaceship level, I recall. It was pretty strange.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Since I still have the original PlayStation game, I know exactly what level themes it had.

The level sets in Pac-Man World were, in order: Valley of the Pirates, Volcano Ruins, Plan C from Space, Haunted Funhouse, Pac-Dot Factory, and Toc-Man's Mansion. Each level set had one of the characters Pac-Man went to Ghost Island to rescue.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 11, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Since I still have the original PlayStation game, I know exactly what level themes it had.

The level sets in Pac-Man World were, in order: Valley of the Pirates, Volcano Ruins, Plan C from Space, Haunted Funhouse, Pac-Dot Factory, and Toc-Man's Mansion. Each level set had one of the characters Pac-Man went to Ghost Island to rescue.

The level themes were kinda strange, yeah. Especially Haunted Funhouse. Pac-Dot factory is great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

You know, I think I know why I like this LP so much. It sort of has a developer-talking-over-their-game feel without the developer.

Not to mention that I do feel your love for the game :shittydog:

• Locked thread