Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

benefits of torrenting - licence issues aren't

piracy communities are also friendly people

Yeah I overall really like the communities that form around piracy, much more than most online communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
dear old echopenis

tell us marriage advice olde friende

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
yeah like how do i trick someone into marrying me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

im the garbage clown you deserve, not the one you need
what racism

Dr. Honked posted:

dear old echopenis

tell us marriage advice olde friende

marry a woman who if full of forguiveness

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

The Management posted:

even when you give them the cable provider info, you will need to use a different lovely app for each channel that has some episodes of some shows for some span of time. total clusterfuck
you think they would be able to recognize "oh hey you're connecting from this IP, through this ISP, which is associated with this account, which has access to this service"

but no. instead i have to call up verizon to find some username and password combo that i never use and may have never even chosen

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

well of course you didn't pick the password, they only allow lowercase letters that can be typed on a telephone

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

The Management posted:

also the hbo now app for iOS and Apple TV is really bad. like there's no way to add a series to your watchlist and it has no way to remember what you've seen. you need to remember what the last episode you saw was every loving time you start watching again.
this wouldn't be a problem if you just loaded torrents or usenet into xbmc or whatever stupid name it's now called

really makes u think

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
a great number of people continue to pay 60+ USD per month for cable or satellite tv despite having an internet connection and streaming devices. this is how monopolies exist in 2016, op

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

Panty Saluter posted:

a great number of people continue to pay 60+ USD per month for cable or satellite tv despite having an internet connection and streaming devices. this is how monopolies exist in 2016, op
everyone always says "sports" which is a halfway-decent reason, but I've found that a lot of people are still attached to the idea of surfing and just "finding something" that's on. usually something that they wouldn't have been outright looking for to begin with.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Panty Saluter posted:

I get something like $65 discount on Internet connectivity due to "triple play", if I turn off TV and phone I end up paying the same amount for the same speed. Optimum/Cablevision have a "cord cutters" package that is just another first 2-year gimmick package and aside of now charging for modem rental the pricing structure is more than double the price of Internet under "triple play".

Dish has stepped up to the plate to fix the US's hosed up anti-loyality pricing scheme with the monthly charge including taxes and being fixed, however they're only targeting DirectTV in their advertising and should also hit out at the cable companies. Shame they only do TV :(

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

MrMoo posted:

I get something like $65 discount on Internet connectivity due to "triple play", if I turn off TV and phone I end up paying the same amount for the same speed. Optimum/Cablevision have a "cord cutters" package that is just another first 2-year gimmick package and aside of now charging for modem rental the pricing structure is more than double the price of Internet under "triple play".

Dish has stepped up to the plate to fix the US's hosed up anti-loyality pricing scheme with the monthly charge including taxes and being fixed, however they're only targeting DirectTV in their advertising and should also hit out at the cable companies. Shame they only do TV :(

Dish has their Sling TV service or whatever, but it seems pretty cool.
it's like a $20/month service and you get to stream a handful of channels like espn through your existing internet service

i guess it doesn't fix loyalty pricing because you still have to pay comcast for internet, but cool nonetheless

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrMoo posted:

yeah i think right now (i've had internet for a year so they bumped up the price) it'd be about the same or maybe $5/mo more to just get all the triple play stuff

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the triple play being the same cost as standalone Internet is before local taxes on tv broadcast, taxes associated with the landline (911, USF, other poo poo) and a minimum of one monthly rental fee for a TV box
often

im also a fan of Verizon's $5 "privacy fee" where they'll list your landline number in the phone book for more telemarketing exposure unless you pay them $5/extra

us broadband/tv service is a loving gouge

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

if you have your own router for verizon fios you can no longer order the service online without a $10/month router rental tied to the order, you have to call in and have them manually submit an order without it

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

mishaq posted:

the triple play being the same cost as standalone Internet is before local taxes on tv broadcast, taxes associated with the landline (911, USF, other poo poo) and a minimum of one monthly rental fee for a TV box
often

im also a fan of Verizon's $5 "privacy fee" where they'll list your landline number in the phone book for more telemarketing exposure unless you pay them $5/extra

us broadband/tv service is a loving gouge

we literally have the land line disconnected but pay for it because its cheaper with the triple play

also lol at renting cable boxes at $20 a room, spend $5 a month on a cablecard

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

mishaq posted:

if you have your own router for verizon fios you can no longer order the service online without a $10/month router rental tied to the order, you have to call in and have them manually submit an order without it

idk i just returned mine like a week after the install, whatever

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

we literally have the land line disconnected but pay for it because its cheaper with the triple play

also lol at renting cable boxes at $20 a room, spend $5 a month on a cablecard

there are currently some promotions where this is true

right now 100 Mbps/internet + basic TV is $65/month in my area but I just cancelled standalone 75 Mbps Internet for $75/month because various promotions from the double play package were expiring

im on Comcast for a few weeks and then I'm gonna switch back to Verizon as a new customer

gotta play a dance every year or two to not pay $120+/month for loving internet access

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

mishaq posted:

i wonder if this is the same with time warner. it would explain why i'm not allowed to make online changes to my account, and no reps that i've talked to have any idea why it is.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

its all done to extract as much money out of people as possible because we've all been beaten into submission to pay whatever the gently caress comcast/time warner/verizon/att ask for

90% of people will just pay their bill

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I will literally pay someone for a bill optimization service, where they call Comcast or cancel and sign up and do whatever it takes to get me the best rate every year.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

I will literally pay someone for a bill optimization service, where they call Comcast or cancel and sign up and do whatever it takes to get me the best rate every year.

would pay for this service even if it didnt save me any money just to spite verizon

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

meanwhile ive got my mom on 50/50 fios for $29.99/month standalone for two years via some weird credits that came up online just for her but i cant get anything for less than $80/month

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

mishaq posted:

meanwhile ive got my mom on 50/50 fios for $29.99/month standalone for two years via some weird credits that came up online just for her but i cant get anything for less than $80/month

I realize this is somewhat regressive thinking, but do households with fewer than 10 streams running simultaneously and/or some sort of server really need more than 50/50? Even when 4k becomes de facto I would think that h.265 means the real bandwidth requirements would not be much greater.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Panty Saluter posted:

I realize this is somewhat regressive thinking, but do households with fewer than 10 streams running simultaneously and/or some sort of server really need more than 50/50? Even when 4k becomes de facto I would think that h.265 means the real bandwidth requirements would not be much greater.

nope

99.9% of people would be fine with 50 mbps, even myself

it's about having good wifi and a connection with low latency that's stable that makes a residential internet connection not poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

having deecee upload is nice if you work from home a lot like me

lol at the 5-10 mbps upload on this comcast garbage

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

netflix started banning VPNs so I cancelled it and now pay about half of what netflix was charging to a cheap usenet provider lol

gently caress geo content licensing up the rear end forever

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

The Management posted:

I think that's what these guys claim to do in sa mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727557

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

mishaq posted:

there are currently some promotions where this is true

right now 100 Mbps/internet + basic TV is $65/month in my area but I just cancelled standalone 75 Mbps Internet for $75/month because various promotions from the double play package were expiring

im on Comcast for a few weeks and then I'm gonna switch back to Verizon as a new customer

gotta play a dance every year or two to not pay $120+/month for loving internet access

when i was on comcast, the local sales rep would just call me on the phone every 12 months and offer me a new promo deal

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

BiohazrD posted:

I do this and use an ObiHai box connected to Google Voice for free US calls and cheap international.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

netflix started banning VPNs so I cancelled it and now pay about half of what netflix was charging to a cheap usenet provider lol

gently caress geo content licensing up the rear end forever

no subscription fee is better than some subscription fee

farrrrrt i am a corporation

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

gargle chome posted:

I think that's what these guys claim to do in sa mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727557

saved ~100/mo for me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MrMoo posted:

I do this and use an ObiHai box connected to Google Voice for free US calls and cheap international.

ive got myself and some family with this setup and it owns

im sure google will pull the plug on it someday but its still vary naice

great international rates

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Ludwig van Halen posted:

when i was on comcast, the local sales rep would just call me on the phone every 12 months and offer me a new promo deal

i want $29.99/month for 50/50 fios like i somehow got my mom

i switched her to comcast for 8-10 months after verizon increased her bill once again and refused to give her any more credits after being a cusomter for 10 years, and then when i switched her back to verizon she got like 6 different stacked credits on the online order somehow

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i think were paying like 120 a month after taxes and fees and everything for 100/100 and the mid tier tv package (plus the phone but lol landline)

thats kinda pricey but my fiancé absolutely must have tv so she can just put something on as background noise, she refuses to "find something to watch" on netflix or whatever.

i was thinking about getting a sling box since we have the upload, it would be nice for my mom to be able to get cable for free. the only problem is sling box is an abortion and there are no alternatives. they literally do not have a native app for apple tv, roku, etc. you have to have a mobile device and then airplay/cast it to your tv

what a load of garbage

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

why does your life partner just turn on the radio for some "background noise". it's very economical.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

or just broadcast tv you can get with an antenna for free, in glorious high definition

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

mishaq posted:

or just broadcast tv you can get with an antenna for free, in glorious high definition

there aren't endless reruns of ghost adventures OTA

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

craisins posted:

there aren't endless reruns of ghost adventures OTA

if you want endless tv reruns, that's what netflix is for :confused:

craisins
May 17, 2004

A DRIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!

mishaq posted:

if you want endless tv reruns, that's what netflix is for :confused:

yeah but why choose the episodes when a drone at the network can choose what ones to show you!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the answer is because

if you expected more then you are retarded

• Locked thread