Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I love what they choose to spend animation budget on. That monster's facial animations were peak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

they really went all out with crazy faces in episode 1.

pacing and timing of the jokes and banter are all perfect.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I am glad that sensible, well thought out decisions and rational actions continue to prevail in the party.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Aqua recognized the mallet, so was it one of the cheat items she gave to another random isekai person.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'd question why the person who asked for an infinite money producer as their OP item was out in the middle of nowhere alone, but given Aqua's standards of who to isekai were basically nonexistent - and in fact seemed to lean towards... problematic individuals - they were probably just another huge weirdo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GateOfD posted:

Aqua recognized the mallet, so was it one of the cheat items she gave to another random isekai person.

Oh goodness it was, wasn't it?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Koth posted:

I'd question why the person who asked for an infinite money producer as their OP item was out in the middle of nowhere alone, but given Aqua's standards of who to isekai were basically nonexistent - and in fact seemed to lean towards... problematic individuals - they were probably just another huge weirdo.

money merchant isekai character who would totally fall for and help innocent looking monster kids in the forest probably

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 11, 2024

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

GateOfD posted:

money merchant isekai character who would totally fall for and help innocent looking monster kids in the forest probably

"Children, run! That's a capitalist!"

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

i dont remember a thing about season 2 i should watch it again

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Same. Actually rewatched the last episodes. The Axis kyokai theme song gives me Paranoia Agent flashbacks.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what a great show this is. an anime with an actual sense of humor

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Raxivace posted:

How many of these light novels actually get entirely adapted? I'd have to imagine it can't be very many.

Going back a bit to reply to this, but yeah I think the amount of full adaptations is quite low, and I can't think of any off the top of my head. The adaptations tend to go one of four ways after they start:

1. One season and done, like the anime Rokka no Yuusha that my avatar is fun. I quite liked it, but it got no further seasons or movies or anything.

2. One season and maybe a little bit more, in part because there isn't enough light novel material to just keep churning away at them. No Game No Life is a good example here, as that got a season and an OVA movie but there weren't a ton of novels ahead of that for them to work with. I feel like if it was a runaway hit they would've gone ahead with another season by now anyway, but I guess it didn't catch on that much.

3. Adaptations that are doing pretty good, but not pulling in the insane numbers that make studios want to put out anime seasons as fast as possible even if there's plenty of light novels still left to adapt and the LN series may have even concluded. KonaSuba's a good example here, with the long wait between season 2 and 3 with just a movie and a spinoff series in between.

4. Adaptations that are a license to print money because they move truly HEAPS of merch and/or are delivering good metrics in things like ratings and Blu-ray sales and such, AND there's plenty of material to work with that hasn't yet gotten adapted into an anime. I think Re: Zero and Mushoku Tensei are good examples here, since the only delay between seasons seems to be how long animation work takes to get done.

Overall the incentive to adapt the material into anime seems pretty similar to how it works for manga, it's just that I think LN adaptations are a relatively newer phenomenon than manga adaptations so there aren't as many obvious cases of LNs getting fully adapted, whereas any regular on this forum could probably conservatively name 10+ manga that had all their issues adapted into anime.

But all that aside, it's great to have Konosuba back and I'll take every little bit of it I can get!

GateOfD posted:

Ah good catch, I didn't think of that but it definitely makes sense.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're talking adaptations, Rascal Does Not Dream is pretty close to complete, allowing for the fact the novels are ongoing. Five books for season 1, 2 books for the first movie, one book each for the next two movies, and an upcoming season that will, at season 1 pacing, cover all four books left.

(Two more new books this year, mind, but again. Ongoing.)

Edit: Also, good to be back. Kazuma trying to convince his party that he's not being a scumbag, this is a monster is a good time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sometimes it is a mercy that ln series aren't fully adapted. for example, rokka.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NowonSA posted:

4. Adaptations that are a license to print money because they move truly HEAPS of merch and/or are delivering good metrics in things like ratings and Blu-ray sales and such, AND there's plenty of material to work with that hasn't yet gotten adapted into an anime. I think Re: Zero and Mushoku Tensei are good examples here, since the only delay between seasons seems to be how long animation work takes to get done.

Honestly, I'd put Re: Zero in the same group as Konosuba (or vice versa?). First season was way back in 2016, second was split cour between '20/21, and the third won't be until this fall. So roughly a 3.5 year gap between seasons. There were two OVAs (that didn't advance the story) between 1 and 2, but there's been nothing since 2 aired. Compare with Mushoku Tensei, that only had a 1.5 year gap between the first season ending and the new one starting. Though honestly it has been unusually quick - even wildly popular LN adaptations in the past like Haruhi and SAO had notably longer gaps between seasons then that (Haruhi at ~3, and SAO at 2.5 and then just shy of 4).

You've also got the very weird example of Toaru, where it was wildly popular, got two lengthy seasons in quick succession AND a spinoff that got the same, both then had a huge gap before getting a third, and both have also gone dead again for years now. Not really sure where to fit that though - presumably Index will be finished at some point, but ??? as to when. And yeah, Index 3rd finished the original series, but it's not like there's not a finished sequel series even longer then the original they could have started adapting by now. And an ongoing sequel to that as well.

Additionally to your categories, there's actually an extremely rare 5th, where something lengthy gets finished over years despite never really seeming to reach wild popularity. Why those few that manage this do could probably be debated - team/company like them, cheap to produce, bringing in money somewhere else, whatever - but it still happens. Strike the Blood would be an example here, where it got finished over 9 years with an anime and then 6 OVAs (most of which were effectively just new seasons that were shorter and packaged differently - another 37 "episodes" total.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Raxivace posted:

How many of these light novels actually get entirely adapted? I'd have to imagine it can't be very many.

The LNs that we see getting anime adaptations or even getting heard about outside of Japan is just the tip of the iceberg.

As far as original IPs, the lowest tier usually starts at webnovels or sometimes more traditional publishing contests by major corporations. Essentially no barrier to entry here but also no money to be made, so chances of getting picked up as a "serious" LN are slim and getting picked up as basically anything else is practically nonexistent. Popularity is the primary currency here.

Assuming one does get picked up, LNs that are even moderately successful recoup their printing costs quickly. Unlike manga serializations they don't have a constant, rapid schedule of content to put out unless you're in the tier of writers successful enough to even get adapted in the first place. There's a mountain of unfinished/permanent hiatus/geniunely cancelled series sitting at 1-2 volumes to climb over before you even get to the mid-tier.

Then, at the mid-tier, you mostly have trend-chasers like the current glut of isekai anime that's been ongoing for the past decade or so. A fraction of the most successful of these might get a (frequently very-low budget) 1-cour anime but are extremely unlikely to get fully adapted. The rest can sometimes get less expensive adaptations like short run manga (usually not covering more than the 1st arc or so) or radio dramas.

When you climb above these you get to the titles that are actually able to maintain popularity and make it to 10+ volumes. It's pretty rare for LNs to be a smash hit from the start unless they're running off the credentials of an established author, and series usually take 4-6 volumes to hit peak popularity. By this point the series might have already had an adaptation, and if the series is able to get a season 2 it's not terribly unlikely that it will be able to eventually get a full adaptation. Though, that might take a while. Full Metal Panic ended in 2010 and the adaptation still looks like it's going forward at the rate of maybe a season a decade. A perhaps more typical example of a popular LN, Oregairu, took ~8 years to get all 3 of its seasons, a similar length to the print run. Overlord is still getting adapted 10 years on from the first adaptation.

A rule of thumb might go something like: If it gets a season 2 or a movie after the 1st season, there's a 68% chance of it completing a full adaptation. If it gets a season 3, it's probably closer to 95% chance of eventually being fully adapted.

Don't ask how Haruhi fits into this rule, a popular series getting to go on near-indefinite hiatus at the height of its popularity. and then popping back a decade later is a statistical anomaly.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
overlord is pretty close to 100% adaptation

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Triggerhappypilot posted:

A rule of thumb might go something like: If it gets a season 2 or a movie after the 1st season, there's a 68% chance of it completing a full adaptation. If it gets a season 3, it's probably closer to 95% chance of eventually being fully adapted.

Good thing KonoSuba got a season 3 then. Can't wait until everybody is still here in 20 years for the conclusion of KonoSuba in season 9.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

NowonSA posted:

1. One season and done, like the anime Rokka no Yuusha that my avatar is fun. I quite liked it, but it got no further seasons or movies or anything.

I recently rewatched an anime that fits this version. "Problem children are coming from another world, aren't they?", or Mondaiji, got only 10 episodes, ended on an obvious cliffhanger, and was ultimately a one and done.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Gonna have to agree that the bits of Rokka that got adapted are the only bits that are worth knowing about, and you'd be better off just thinking of them as the full series.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

What happened after that? I recall really liking the first season.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

blastron posted:

What happened after that? I recall really liking the first season.

You really are better off not knowing. It's not even disgusting or anything; it's just dumb.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I liked the first season. Does it get dumb after repeating the pattern a few more times?
Or does it get silly right away. At least give another cycle

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

shout out to monogatari, an adaptation that's been ongoing for 15 years

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

El Burbo posted:

shout out to monogatari, an adaptation that's been ongoing for 15 years

And they are doing a reboot(?) or continuation this year, if I recall

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

And they are doing a reboot(?) or continuation this year, if I recall

A continuation. We're nearing 20 years since the series was first written, but Nisio has never stopped writing new entries, and shaft will probably keep animating them as long as he keeps making them.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the danger to a full adaptation of konosuba would be the passing of one or more of the VAs, most/all of the cast are extremely iconic in this anime and it would be probably not be well received to replace them.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Japanese audiences seem to be even less tolerant of actor substitutions than american ones from what I’ve heard.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

didn't know they even did substitutions (other than manga->dramaCD->Anime which is more common)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GateOfD posted:

didn't know they even did substitutions (other than manga->dramaCD->Anime which is more common)

They do sometimes. Usually for actor death or retirement, but they recast Hathaway in the Hathaway's Flash movies, for an example.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Voice actors are replaced all the drat time and the usual response is "Whatever"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

There's usually an "Aww, that sucks" if the VA is iconic enough, with some exceptions depending on how rabid the fanbase is. One Games example is how the PS3-exclusive content for Tales of Vesperia Remastered didn't use Troy Baker for Yuri's new lines, and while it's jarring sometimes, it's fine. Then, you have Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hayter in MGSV, and people have opinions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Recasts will obviously happen when necessary but there does seem to be a strong preference to keeping Japanese VAs the same wherever possible - see Goku who's still played by Masako Nozawa at age 87, or Kiyoshi Kobayashi playing Daisuke Jigen for 52 years and only being recast in 2021 when he was 88.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

nice to see some upcoming Darkness focus, we didn't really get much of her.

Though I guess Aqua had the least, she's the most useless.

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 17, 2024

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Then, you have Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hayter in MGSV, and people have opinions.

Except there was a reason for that and the ending was so rushed they couldn't schedule David in time to make it land.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
A good 1-frame Megumin in the OP

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They South Park'd her.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arc Hammer posted:

They South Park'd her.

Megumin, secretly Canadian.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

They South Park'd her.

Hey, worked for FLCL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Recasts will obviously happen when necessary but there does seem to be a strong preference to keeping Japanese VAs the same wherever possible - see Goku who's still played by Masako Nozawa at age 87, or Kiyoshi Kobayashi playing Daisuke Jigen for 52 years and only being recast in 2021 when he was 88.

Then you get the masterstroke of Igor in Persona 5 after Isamu Tanonaka's passing.

As for Konosuba, I just caught the first episode of the season. I haven't read the manga, so I was kind of surprised how much it focused on the aftermath of Kazuma's deal with Sylvia. (Read: It lingered on it at all.)

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 18, 2024