Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty sure Kazuma kept getting panties because that's what he wanted most from them. We've seen what a creep he is, and how he liked getting those far more than he did the valuable sword from the thief girl and stuff. I haven't seen the new episode because I don't have premium, but I'm assuming he got the sword because that's actually what he wanted here. (Also if the person with it was male Kazuma wouldn't have wanted his underwear anyway.) He also stole cabbage from the cabbages... Somehow.

So, yeah. With his Luck he's going to be getting "perfect" steals every time probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The prequel manga is funny, if a bit skeevy in the ways KonoSuba usually is (a panty shot of an outright child character is really unnecessary), but something towards the end of the last chapter has me a bit confused and I'm not sure if it's the translation or the manga itself: Early on, it's established that Crimson Demons graduate after learning Advanced Magic. In the last chapter, meanwhile, Yunyun learns Intermediate Magic (not having enough points for Advanced Magic yet) out of desperation, then Megumin learns Explosion, stuff gets blown up, they're saved, etc.

But the narration after that has Megumin say that the town doesn't know they know magic yet, then both graduate a few days later. How's that work? To me it seems like it's saying that they demonstrated that they learned magic and were allowed to graduate, but, while I could see Megumin being allowed through despite not having Advanced Magic because she learned something even more advanced, Yunyun picked up something lesser, and also used skill points she was saving up, putting her further from Advanced Magic. Something seems a bit off; either they let her slide, didn't verify that she was actually using Advanced Magic, or I'm missing something. Or it's a mistake I guess, I don't know. Or they didn't actually need Advanced Magic, just any magic, and Yunyun was aiming for it arbitrarily, maybe? The first chapter makes it seem like that's specifically what they need.

Anyone know what's up here? I suppose it's not a major detail, but it's bothering me a bit.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, the scene I was referring to was a flashback within the flashback, the (second) time we see Megumin learn that she wants to master Explosions. So, that being seven years before something already happening a year in the past (relative to the beginning of the series), when Megumin starts the series at like thirteen or fourteen (according to what people said in an earlier discussion), means that she was like five or six years old there. Which, by any standards, should be pretty bad.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, as I saw it described elsewhere she's basically a max-level character except she can still level to get skill points (to spend on useless crap). So, she's very powerful... Except for her dump stats and somewhat focused skillset (offensively she has the anti-undead stuff and water attacks, and it turns out lots of things are resistant/immune to water and also aren't undead) making it so most of the time she's not capable of ending things on her own she's basically useless, particularly when combined with her personality.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

When pretty boy shut the door with dad's forehead framed at the bottom, I was primed for it to just pan down to another deadpan "execute him".

Yeah, what actually happened there surprised me. Darkness's dad seems like a decent guy for the most part.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

smenj posted:

As I recall, it was less "no offensive skills" and more "can hit like a truck; can't hit anything". If she managed not to miss, she could beat the crap out of whatever she liked.

She has good offensive stats, but her weapon skills (which she needs to hit) have no points in them, for the reason your stated, is what I think is meant. She's terrifying physically but she outright refuses to improve her ability to actually use her weapon.

Which makes me wonder where all her points are actually going, come to think of it. Have we seen her use, like, any skills yet?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That reminds me, Crimson Demons and "normal" demons like succubi and Vanir aren't related, right? Are they just both called "demons" because of the translation?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Crimson demons are just a weird tribe of Humans. They are not actually demons.

Tarezax posted:

I'm guessing the Crimson Demons are called such because the whole clan, excepting Yunyun, is chuuni as gently caress. They're all human.

That's what I figured, it's just the "Demons" part had me wondering if the same word being used was a translation thing or the case in Japanese as well.

z0glin Warchief posted:

I haven't read the source so I dunno for sure, but I think it's just that they have the "magic" kanji in their name (the other being "red/crimson"; 紅魔), which is also the one in demon/devil/monster/whatever. Depending on context the same word could be "red magic," "Scarlet Devil" (as it is in Touhou), etc.

Something like this, maybe.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yunyun can't join the party because she isn't allowed to have friends.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the party's actual incompetence wouldn't be as entertaining if they weren't theoretically capable of being competent.

Especially since it wasn't just the girls who ruined things; Kazuma sabotaged himself by draining Megumin earlier in the day and forgetting about it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, there was a thread in D&D focusing on issues black people face and whatnot, and predictably it got a lot of racist trolls. I posted there a few times, including mentioning an argument with my (racist) parents, and this was the result. There were quite a few redtexts along these lines given out there, plus racist ones for the black posters and whatnot (and some counter-redtexts for the racists who actually posted there instead of just buying other people redtexts).

This was a few months ago but I don't have the money to spare getting something else so whatever.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 21, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

There Bias Two posted:

Because without the background knowledge of Celtic mythology, a thing walking without a head seems to fall nicely into the category of dead-but-not-quite-dead.

Also, the Headless Horseman of Sleepy Hollow and all that. I think that dullahan get conflated with that story and its various pop culture incarnations, where, when it's not a person in costume, it usually is some sort of ghost or zombie. People are probably generally more familiar with that story (or, again, the various incarnations and interpretations thereof) than Celtic myth, and fold the dullahan in with it/assume it's related.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 24, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also she's part of some demon queen or something, according to that prequel manga that was posted here, so, there's that too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blaze Dragon posted:

The whole Wiz scene was chilling, really.

Boo. Boooo.

(Yeah Wiz was great.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meme Emulator posted:

I think its just because im a big ol Darkness fan but the Vanir ep was my favorite. She was just so thrilled to be able to tank properly for once.

And yet it still didn't inspire her to start building in a way she could do that all the time.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

Nah. I think having a fallible deity for your religion is cool. Aqua is a dumbass, but she's a personable dumbass.

Unfortunately, her religion doesn't present her that way. Which is probably part of why, when she actually showed herself to her faithful, they didn't believe it was her at all. (That and they're all just really, really dumb.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FriggenJ posted:

Pretty sure Wiz does for some inexplicable reason. Eris too.

Wiz and Eris are nice people. This is a rare and strange thing in the world of KonoSuba, I know, but that's how it is.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, while the others don't map to classes quite as well, Darkness is perfect as the Leper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's an Emperor's New Clothes thing. You have to be pure hearted to see her underwear.

She hasn't realized the obvious flaw with this arrangement.