Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I like that Kaz isn't a bumbling idiot or THE CHOSEN ONE WHO WILL LEAD US TO VICTORY, he's just kinda a normal guy who gets lucky sometimes and sometimes genuinely has a good idea. I wasn't expecting to like this show so much but like others said it's nice to just have a fun anime that's not trying to be anything more than a funny anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ViggyNash posted:

Science is magic too.

Magic for loving nerds sure

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Paracelsus posted:

Wiz hasn't seemed like a jackass so far.

All Undead Are Jackasses

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

StandardVC10 posted:

It features Aqua running from another giant frog. Well, I'm sold.

I saw a fancy explosion, a big frog, and Kazuma crying, sold!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This was a really good episode, mainly because it was about the best girl, Megumin, and her secret very sad friend/

So if I get the flashbacks right, Megumin was broke as gently caress and had to scam lunches and eat bugs, and her friend is the next in line to lead the race but just so sadly alone? What was with the 'I'd even take a devil for a friend' bit, though? Just to show her learning magic purely to literally summon a friend?

Also is there some joke with the cat's name, or is it just 'of course a Crimson Demon would name their pet something silly sounding too'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BlitzBlast posted:

If you actually want to know: (spoilers for the next season/Megumin's first spinoff if it ever happens)

Megumin comes from an extremely poor family because her dad is a moron who specializes in making gag items nobody would ever actually want. She and the rest of her family got by on thin soup and lunches she scammed off of Yunyun.

Yunyun is the daughter of the Crimson Demons' chief, and is next in line to lead. Only problem is that she is the only person in the village to not be a chuuni, so she's ostracized because everyone thinks she's weird. The only relationship she really had was her "rivalry" with Megumin since they were always #1/#2 in the class rankings, which Megumin just kinda went with since hey, free food. You probably already realized this, but Megumin is secretly the biggest jerk in the entire cast. Though she does eventually come to give a poo poo about Yunyun.

As for the "I'd even take a devil for a friend" bit, let's call it the setup for a very long term joke.

Chomusuke is just a weird name, yes. It has a story to it, but that's all I'm going to say.

all good poo poo, thank you. I should probably just give in and get the LNs, I can't pretend I don't love this group of idiots enough to want to see it all.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

She's just so drat eager

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ViggyNash posted:

If anyone's watched the earlier episodes of Running Man (Korean reality show for those who don't know), remember how Gwang-Su would always start an episode making up some hilarious bullshit about resident jock Jong-Kook to make him look like some perverted psychopath? That's basically Darkness this episode.

I just need you to know I really appreciate this comparison

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I rewatched S1 the other day and honestly, for all of her depravity, Darkness is kinda sweet. She's a good girl trapped inside a naughty girl's brain.

she seems to be someone who genuinely wants to protect people who happens to have a giant fetish for getting abused in combat, the weird symbiosis of 'actually probably a decent person who wants to use her abilities to help' and 'also the most psycho pervert in the group' is what makes her so great.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vengarr posted:

Kazuma 100% refusing to buy her poo poo even for an instant is the best.

this is mainly what's turned Darkness from my least favorite character to the favorite as the show went on. "Masochist tank" is a decent but easily run into the ground joke, but 'masochist tank with a party leader that is 100% done with her poo poo' is solid.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yinlock posted:

why does vanir make this dumb loving face when he uses his death beam and why is it so funny

I'm gonna be really bummed when they eventually get a real antagonist demon general because man I've loved the running gag of the devil king's elite of the elite being absolute dirtbags and nerds.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

I'm glad this stupid anime is so successful

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kytrarewn posted:

I don't see where these two things go together. She gets off on being mocked and ignored, he mocks and ignores her.

Kazuma likes having someone who he can just go "OH MY GOD WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU ARE THE WORST AT WHAT YOU DO" and they actually listen for a change.

It just happens that Darkness listens because it gets her off, and he is incredibly done with that nonsense after so many monster attacks ending in him getting beat up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's also kind of funny that Yunyun is a way better actual mage then Megumin.

She did the coward's path of 'learning more than one kind of magic', she'll never be the better mage

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

There Bias Two posted:

It's always been body horror

her name is Darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

chiasaur11 posted:

I am 99.999 percent sure that Aqua is the only member of the party who has actually had sex.

Agreed, but only because Darkness has probably had a string of hook-ups that have all suddenly ended INCREDIBLY awkwardly with them both agreeing it'd be best to keep it on the dl.