Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Test Pattern posted:

I liked the show before, but if later volumes are "this whole world is bonkers because of a steady stream of losers from Japan arriving with superpowers and doing nonsense" I'm definitely going to read the LNs.

People really were not kidding when they said everything wrong with this world is Aqua's fault. EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nalin posted:

I had that same thought, but I didn't mind that much. Konosuba has to be off model. It's just part of its nature.

It's tolerable, but at the same time holy poo poo. DEEN finds a show that performs insanely well - well enough to surprisingly get a second season - and they half-rear end the animation work in the second season even more than the first?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I'm almost afraid to ask. So I won't

I love this stupid show. Also

Something goes even more wrong than it should. And it's probably dumb. And hilarious to watch.

She somehow manages to get you convicted of even more crimes than you were initially accused of, and your sentence gets changed from being hung to being drawn and quartered. Sounds about right for Aqua.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Aqua becomes the Guts to Kazuma's Griffith, chasing him for years in revenge for his sacrifice of Megumin/Darkness.

I, uh, think you might have your roles reversed there. One of those might care a fair amount about something happening to Megumin/Darkness, but I don't think it's Aqua.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Another good episode. Yunyun is (re)introduced, more toad-related trauma, and funny interactions involving Megumin and several other characters.

Only shame was they skipped the part where Chomusuke is introduced and, while Megumin and Aqua are having the name argument, Kazuma feeds her a fish... only for Chomusuke to spit some flame to grill it before eating. Also it's internal narration to tell you this, but Megumin didn't literally just pick Chomusuke up, though it's the first time she is actually mentioned, as Kazuma has seen her around Megumin occasionally in the past.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glancing at the first chapter of the prequel LN, the manga is probably just shortening how it's described so it might read slightly differently depending on how you interpret the phrasing. Mastering ANY magic is effectively graduation. It's just that, Crimson Demons being Crimson Demons, they generally just want to learn Advanced magic and thus hold off on spending skill points until then. Kind of going hand-in-hand with not really being considered a wizard within the clan until you do master Advanced magic, generally (exceptions obviously exist).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

paragon1 posted:

I'm waiting for Aqua to realize that she needs to break out of general contractor hell and apprentice in a more lucrative subcontracting field, like plumbing.

I suspect I'll be waiting for a while.

The hilarious thing is that Kazuma realizes at some point that Aqua is so goddamn good at party tricks (and they're not actually magic, incidentally) that she could make a fortune off of performing them. Literally world-class talent - which goes along with the whole, "she's an actual goddess, and thus is insanely good at everything she does".

...She has yet to realize this, and almost assuredly never will.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

...People, it's Studio DEEN, they've never bothered spending the money for decent animation in like anything they've animated ever. It just happens to somewhat work for Konosuba unlike most shows. I highly doubt the VA salaries terribly impacted the animation budget.

If anything cut it, it was probably the positive response to bad animation in the first season adding to many people's amusement at the show.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Episode ended and no announcement of a third season... :( Then again, I can just imagine the raging if Megumin doesn't actually get her arc, so I'll steadfastly believe that DEEN still plans to do another season at some point.

As for this episode, I'm not incredibly fond of how they changed the ending. At least in the LN (can't speak for the WN), there was no matter of Kazuma sacrificing himself - instead he realized Hans was acting mostly on instinct once he reverted to slime form and baited the slime off into a remote area using delicious treats he'd stolen from Darkness, whereupon Megumin Explosioned it and Wiz froze the remains. Kazuma making the sacrifice play just seemed really out of character for how he acts, even if resurrection magic is available.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I think that, while Kazuma is clearly fed up with her bullshit, since they started out together in this world, they have this whole sibling-like relationship going on. Hell, Megumin and Darkness didn't even come into the picture for, what, 2 or 3 months after Kazuma and Aqua got plopped into this world? Haven't read the novels (if a movie/season 3 takes too long, I'll do so soon, though!) to confirm how much time passes between Episode 1 and 2, but from all the drinking, working and such, they've at least spent a bunch of time by themselves as primary company, so while they drive each other nuts, they do at least get along. Hell, Aqua is always super careful when it comes to reviving Kazuma.

To be entirely fair, if I recall correctly she needs Kazuma to beat the Demon King in order to go back to her former position, so her carefully reviving Kazuma isn't exactly entirely altruistic. Not that I disagree that they start to come across as vitriolic siblings after a bit.

Also sweet for the new announcement. Now we'll see the Crimson Demon village, and its arc, animated, and it's going to be great.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 25, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I seem to recall people mentioning that there was a party swap in the LNs and Kazuma ended up doing way better than with the chucklefuck brigade.

The problem with Kazuma's party is it's hyperspecialized against a very few things, even aside from all the personality issues. Specifically, they're effective against boss monsters and undead (when Aqua actually remembers her exorcism powers and isn't running screaming from them), and of very limited utility against anything else*. Combine this with Kazuma being at least somewhat tactical and putting him in charge of a more normal party would make him do a lot better against most encounters. Meanwhile, someone who doesn't understand both that hyperspecialization, AND how to corral them, is going to do horribly with the others.

The other side to that though is that said normal party would have been slaughtered against any of the demon generals he keeps running into.

*: Darkness because she both can't actually deal damage in 99% of battles because she can't hit anything, and has no taunt to actually make enemies pay attention to her, and Megumin because in normal circumstances she can only nuke once a day. No real excuse for Aqua, other than her terrible intelligence.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 26, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nalin posted:

In the side stories, Wiz and Aqua actually get along extremely well together. It drives Vanir absolutely insane as they often get stuck in a feedback loop of terrible, terrible ideas that he has to eventually fix.

Darkness does have a taunt. It gets mentioned in the books but not in the anime. It is like the one important thing that she does have, because she actually wants all the monsters to hit her.

Yeah, had forgotten about that, though I seem to recall this being a case of Kazuma forcing her to spend points to take the skill at some point, rather than her initially having it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kyte posted:

Excuse me he did the huge sacrifice of buying Intermediate Magic even though she was 1 skill point short of Advanced Magic because otherwise Megumin'd have to do it.
And so they didn't get eaten, of course.

For reference, Intermediate Magic costs 20SP, Advanced Magic costs 30SP and Explosion Magic costs 40SP, and level ups only give 1SP.
(Based on the manga)

That's an... interesting change. I don't recall the skill point cost of Explosion magic ever coming up in the main LN (since Megumin already knows it), and it's set at 50 skill points in the prequel LN series following Megumin, not 40, which illustrates just how absurd it is to take that skill given how much more it costs than even Advanced magic.

Also never covered in the main series, so unlikely to get a mention in the show, but the school in the village Megumin is from gave out skill up potions (1 pt each) for being top of the class in various activities, or answering certain topics correctly. Megumin managed to gather so many of them so quickly that she had not that far off double the number Yunyun did despite both joining at the same time - and Yunyun herself had the second most in the class. It's not an exaggeration to say that she really is an incredible prodigy well above Yunyun, just she's so obsessed with Explosion magic to the exclusion of all else that Yunyun is generally better due to being far more versatile (and Yunyun's definitely a prodigy as well).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Did some glancing around at what's available from the well-regarded companies for similar prices, and yeah, those are definitely overpriced (well, moreso than figures already are).

With that said, if you really want a Konosuba figure I'm not really seeing much else at the moment - at least that most people would be willing to publicly display. Here's another figure for Megumin from a couple months back that was also advertised on Crunchyroll to show what I mean: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/03/16-1/megumin-gets-some-big-love-with-konosuba-14-scale-bunny-ver-figure. More expensive, but double the scale - 1/4 vs. 1/8 - and significantly more detailed, along with a dynamic pose but, well...

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 6, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Alright, just got back from the showing and it was pretty great. Shame they cut a number of fun scenes like the Crimson Demons massively trolling Sylvia with teleport, but they got most/all of the critical stuff in and there had to be cuts somewhere.

Mokinokaro posted:

And the romantic tension between him and Darkness that exists is pretty one sided.

It's not so much that Kazuma isn't attracted to Darkness, so much that her... eccentricities... always come out fairly quickly and honestly disturb him. Like, there's a line in one of the novels that's basically along the lines of "I'm probably her best match, because I can humor her tendencies without going too far, but just how far she wants to pursue that stuff really makes me uncomfortable". Like seriously, just from this movie, while it's played for comedy with Darkness being extremely upset that there are no male orcs left, it's also extremely in line with her overall reactions throughout the work.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'd question why the person who asked for an infinite money producer as their OP item was out in the middle of nowhere alone, but given Aqua's standards of who to isekai were basically nonexistent - and in fact seemed to lean towards... problematic individuals - they were probably just another huge weirdo.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NowonSA posted:

4. Adaptations that are a license to print money because they move truly HEAPS of merch and/or are delivering good metrics in things like ratings and Blu-ray sales and such, AND there's plenty of material to work with that hasn't yet gotten adapted into an anime. I think Re: Zero and Mushoku Tensei are good examples here, since the only delay between seasons seems to be how long animation work takes to get done.

Honestly, I'd put Re: Zero in the same group as Konosuba (or vice versa?). First season was way back in 2016, second was split cour between '20/21, and the third won't be until this fall. So roughly a 3.5 year gap between seasons. There were two OVAs (that didn't advance the story) between 1 and 2, but there's been nothing since 2 aired. Compare with Mushoku Tensei, that only had a 1.5 year gap between the first season ending and the new one starting. Though honestly it has been unusually quick - even wildly popular LN adaptations in the past like Haruhi and SAO had notably longer gaps between seasons then that (Haruhi at ~3, and SAO at 2.5 and then just shy of 4).

You've also got the very weird example of Toaru, where it was wildly popular, got two lengthy seasons in quick succession AND a spinoff that got the same, both then had a huge gap before getting a third, and both have also gone dead again for years now. Not really sure where to fit that though - presumably Index will be finished at some point, but ??? as to when. And yeah, Index 3rd finished the original series, but it's not like there's not a finished sequel series even longer then the original they could have started adapting by now. And an ongoing sequel to that as well.

Additionally to your categories, there's actually an extremely rare 5th, where something lengthy gets finished over years despite never really seeming to reach wild popularity. Why those few that manage this do could probably be debated - team/company like them, cheap to produce, bringing in money somewhere else, whatever - but it still happens. Strike the Blood would be an example here, where it got finished over 9 years with an anime and then 6 OVAs (most of which were effectively just new seasons that were shorter and packaged differently - another 37 "episodes" total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The only real required watching outside the seasons is the movie, as it's basically season 2.5 and has important story impacts moving forward. Technically episode 1 somewhat summarized what happened in it, but it was fairly brief. The two OVAs are good and fun to see, but not required.