Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Watched this over the last week. Didn't know anything going in other than it was popular, funny, and isekai so I expected some light, fun isekai trash and not one of the better comedy shows of the last decade lol

Could gush about anything about it, really, but what makes it so great is how it all comes together. There's good gags and character work that I assume comes straight from the LNs, voice actors are obviously amazing at selling these, and the direction/editing around these gags is pretty masterful in how well they're paced. Like, it's genuinely impressive to me how good they are at extended jokes where you can see the punchline coming from a mile away but you're still laughing at how hard they commit to the setup (little girl from Aqua's cult and wounded flower girl from last ep, for example).

Didn't know that the 3rd season was just starting going in (since it was both old and popular enough that I thought if it's still running it's gotta be on the 4th or 5th season by now) but I guess I chose the right time to catch on. I normally wait for a cour to be done before catching up to an anime but I'm definitely in for watching this weekly.

Anyway, I've watched everything but the Megumin prequel. Currently saving that for a rainy day but thought I'd ask, is that important enough that I should watch it sooner to get what's going on with stuff later in the season or is it fine to be patient with it? (looked at the last couple of pages of the thread before posting and nobody was talking about it, so if it's straight up bad I wouldn't mind a heads up either.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Got it, thanks everyone. I'll save the Megumin prequel for a lull between seasons or just some afternoon where I'm itching for more Konosuba.

AlternateNu posted:

The cult girl is my favorite gag of the show and one of my favorite comedy gags of any medium. The timing. The direction. The music. The delivery. The reaction. Masterful loving work. :allears:

Edit: Gotta post it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAAtYGeij4

It's so loving good. Love that they reuse the cut of the little girl crying and reaching out later (think it was when the town was chasing off Aqua after her speech). Season 2 was just full of great episode enders in general (Darkness bondage when fending off the hawk runners, "I'm carrying his child," etc.) Really, ever since the interrogation scene in the first ep os S2 where Kazuma just has to fess up I knew that was where Konosuba was about to get really good lol

Season 1 was solid and it already had some really good gags, but the way they've built on the characters since has been amazing

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Yeah, haven't read the LNs yet. So as an anime only watcher I think part of why season 1 feels like it's gluing stuff together from whatever it must is those two episodes where it's important that we know these characters from somewhere but it's just choosing to skip to the stories were we do rather than waste an episode on their introductions. Hell, when coming into the Wiz episode in season 1 I though she was actually Dullahan since her hairstyle was parted so we only saw one eye and that's all we saw of his face lol

Other episode that did this was Succubus ep that started with Kazuma already being buds with Dusty and the other guy. Both of wich did feel jarring, but in retrospect don't feel bad, since even though they glossed over the stories that introduced them they still got their character traits introduced pretty quick and since they only had 10 eps in season one I can understand how those were a worthy sacrifice to get us to the destroyer fight that season.

And season 2 has at least one or two episodes that need us to know each of them on the outset and those are great (the dungeon for Dusty and the entire 2nd half of the season for Wiz) so if their introductions weren't funny enough I'm glad we glossed them over for what it's worth.

e: I actually watched the 1st OVA thinking that was Wiz's introduction (which it most definitely wasn't) when that episode came up lol

they want shady fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 23, 2024

they want shady
May 11, 2013
great episode of Kazuma being the worst

Kevino07 posted:

The punchline for that scene has been one of my favourite of the entire show

The look of scorn from Darkness throughout especially

This was good. What got me the hardest, though, was the dawning realization in the scene where Iris is opening up and Kazuma clings really hard to being called onii-chan. Also him doing the creeper hand motion while gesturing the servant near the start when he wants to ask if this counts as kidnapping.

Darkness playing the actual, responsible adult since she comes from this sort of life and not really wanting to be part of it is fun, and also Aqua and Megumin going along with Kazuma's plan instantly because of the grub. Good ep with good stuff all around.

A jargogle posted:

Is it perhaps worth making clear which spoilers are from the end of the novels vs the latest episode?

As someone who hasn't read the LNs I'd appreciate it. I read the spoiler and it wasn't too big a deal to me (I think the movie made it pretty clear that the series was gonna go in that direction) but it'd be nice to have a heads up on what the spoiler bars are about since we're in the middle of a new season.