Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

「かずま!かずま~!」

「はい -かずまです」

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

el dorito posted:

Female liches are unlikely to be depicted as anything but the latter, I think.

:colbert:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

That is the eagerness of a PC who knows fall damage is capped.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wait, is Konosuba openly parodying Re:Zero in this episode? Because it's doing so perfectly.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

He's probably also used to that crap by now.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Verizian posted:

She just needs to find a cursed sword that hurts it's wielder, then she'll put some skills into it. Hopefully a talking sword who's freaked out by her personality.

This is just about the only thing you could add to this series to make it better.

Iretep posted:

Im pretty sure Darkness has at least one non-passive skill, taunt. Cant remember if she has used it yet though.

Something that makes her get hit more? Is there any doubt she took it?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

buzmeg posted:

The whole point in the LN's is that Kazuma is *really, unnaturally competent* because he combines various skills while everybody else just goes min/max on a single skill.

Because he's got what is essentially a 'Factotum' class. Adventurer has access to all skills, and he gets a fat stack of points from intelligence, so he can roll stuff together that other classes would lock out. His extreme luck stat probably applies in some way to all other stat rolls too, so he's got a bonus to everything.

If I were designing this system, taking a class would make one tree of skills take less points of investment, and all other trees take substantially more. Classed characters can take cross-class skills, but need more points for them. Staying unclassed keeps the average point cost of everything down.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 5, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

basically Kazuma is the only reasonable character build in a party filled with insane weird gimmick characters

Kazuma has a gimmick though: He's unclassed and that lets him dip everything, including dark magic which has been instrumental to their successes.

I guess being a gap filler does make him a sensible character to have in the party though. I just don't want to give him that much credit.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

At least the joke isn't "Hey Wilson, you want another Superbowl ring?" "Nah, I'll pass." anymore.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Well, Yunyun's VA was in Flip Flappers, but wasn't Papika. The "tanomo" made me check.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wait wait wait...

They left the starter town :stare:

Progress!?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 9, 2017

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I'm sure the Demon King is actually some jolly goofball who's been grossly misunderstood.

We're already only 1 for 3 on Demon King Generals being actually serious.

Paracelsus posted:

Wednesday joins Tuesday on the list of "Days That Used to Be Great."

And Flip Flappers Thursdays.

Flip Flap Flip Flap...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ah crap, I forgot about the dullahan. I thought he was just a mid-boss or something.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Wark Say posted:

[*]The Devil is a Part-Timer: Demon Lord from another world almost gets killed by the hero(ine). Him and his Top General escape to our world, they land in Shibuya (I think?). The heroine plus other peeps from the other world (called Ente Isla if I don't completely misremember) follow him. Weird stuff ensues. Has a lot of the mean-spirited humor that KonoSuba has. Also reaction faces.

Also has a fairly decent dub, which we watched half by accident.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Can't unsee mirrored text on driver's side.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Furnaceface posted:

I really dont understand why I love this show so much, especially when you consider how horrible the characters are, but I do. And I want more.

Because they're awful to each other in ways that are totally believable, considering the circumstances, and entirely deserved.

But to everyone outside the group and their immediate relations (Yunyun T-T) they're fairly good and competent people.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Aqua's chief weakness is that aside from things that she High Priest to pieces (via Exorcism/Turn Undeadto) she's 100% blunt damage. And not even the good 'in your face with a mace' kind. Hence her problems with the fat frogs who are too fat to feel God's Blow :v:

I took it more as a Smite Evil kind of move and the blunt aspect is minimal. The frogs just aren't evil.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Isn't his luck stat obscenely high, like ... max?

Maybe his plans working are actually due to his luck stat.

Problem is there might be some Magician Bink poo poo going on (I know that is a self-own) and his luck stat is self-aware that if he succeeds too much he's escape this world and no longer have his luck to help him succeed.

Kazuma's failures are to ensure continuing success :v:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Holy poo poo, I never realized Xanth is as old as Star Wars and still going. I'll still spoiler tag it because the early books aren't that bad. The best book in the series (Demon's Don't Dream) is totally isekai now that I think of it.

It's the coolest thing in the first book of the worst fantasy series ever, because Bink's talent is that he cannot be harmed by magical means, but if someone came to know that they would just run his rear end through with a sword, so it's self-aware enough to prevent magical means of finding out what its nature is as well. So it hides its nature from everyone including Bink (leading to him getting exiled for having no apparent talent.)

Magical death barrier? Happens to get swept underwater through the only gap. Try to polymorph him? A swarm of gnats gets in your way and get transformed instead. I forget other instances because I haven't touched that trash in years.

A luck stat that is self-aware enough to keep things just barely on the rails is such a nice narrative exploit, but I'm sure I'm overthinking it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

They really are, it's just that the later books are worse.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

el dorito posted:

there was a companion point-and-click computer adventure game that is based on demons don’t dream.

that is the only exposure to the xanth series that I’ve had or will ever have

We tried to dosbox once it but we were too drunk... which seemed mandatory.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Headcanon: Aqua does wear underwear, she just uses magic to make it invisible so nobody can see it.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Iretep posted:

Well thats just speculation i think. Its possible she simply had enough influence at the end of the war to just ask everyone forget her. Its still unclear why shes a big secret really.

Or some petty dickhead god went around suppressing it all so Tanya wouldn't get the credit deserved.

Kazuma and Tanya will get along just fine :allears:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

paragon1 posted:

It should only show the loops where Subaru makes it through, from everyone else's perspective. So he just randomly becomes way more skilled and always has an idea of what is going on and knows your name despite just meeting.

Nah, go full Kenny and have him die horribly all the time and pop right back like nothing happened and nobody caresnotices.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

In the anime he has died three times. Once was Darkness's fault, once was his own, and once was collateral damage to take care of demon king general.

The badass death easily makes up for the other two.

I like the idea of Kazuma being able to run great with a 'normal' crew, but it's all small if consistent victories.

Only with the dysfunctional minmax crew, though, would he ever do poo poo like bring down a city leveling unstoppable magical death machine ... even if it might be his fault it's rampaging in the first place.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jackard posted:

:same: other two are trash

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

• #1 Konosuba - Kazuma succeeds out of sheer (setting-literal) luck. He has to put in effort to keep his cohorts pointed in the right direction (and not destroying the places they just saved), but meeting them in the first place and the poo poo they pull off seems tied to his sheer luck.

• #2 Youjo Senki - Tanya succeeds out of absolute unstoppable spite. The others have deities helping rather than impeding them at every chance (Aqua aside). Tanya is the most 'downgraded' protag of any isekai I've seen, stripped of gender, size, and importance, but climbs right out of that poo poo to be a literal engine of war.

• #∞ Re:Zero - Subaru succeds out of cosmic pity. He's literally immortal and could groundhog day his way into any skill or knowledge, but just does the same poo poo over and over. It's not until someone who is guaranteed to have zero knowledge of his situation gives up and takes him seriously out of the blue and holds his hand through the rest of the plot that he succeeds in a meaningful way.

Overlord I've not watched, but safe bet it's in the middle.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was kinda winging it on Tanya because I couldn't remember if it was Tanya herself or the super magic jewel thing that only she can activate (which I'm sure is due to unstoppable spite)

I get that Subaru is forced into some things, like encountering the thugs or getting shrekt by Elsa, but then he start being irrationally stupid and starts doing things that actively sabotage himself, like all the butler bullshit (remember they killed him as a suspected spy the first time...)

He's a protagonist that does everything he can to not be a protagonist by doing his best not to embrace and write his own story. It sends a very lovely life message and becomes a literal dead-end until it gets broken up by a waifu pity-party.

Kazuma understands that that he's the goddamn protag and needs to and does act like it sometimes. Kazuma pulls his weight in a party of minmaxed monsters. Subaru gets carried like a scrub despite being so painfully immortal.

Subaru would be so loving useless and very very dead in any of these other settings, and I hope Quartet hammers on that, and then revives him Kenny-style and nobody cares :v:

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 17, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Nebrilos posted:

Around episode 4 or so, Kazuma meets another reincarnated person who has been having a much better adventuring life because he took a magical sword when he was reincarnated. The way it's framed, it's like it's trying to say that this other guy had it unfairly easy with his magical sword and his good underlings, unlike Kazuma who really had to work.

But Kazuma was given the same opportunity to choose a blessing to bring when he was reincarnated! And instead he chose to squander his blessing just to spite Aqua! I just found this annoying.

Counterpoint: That guy hasn't done poo poo. Kazuma's crew wrecks more face in a week than that guy in his entire life.

If any one thing could be brought to give someone a chance to take down the Demon Lord, it's probably Aqua. Kazuma's meta-choice was genius for the task, but maybe not the journey...

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/konosubaanime/status/1671556081406058496

Season 3 in 2024 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Then, you have Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hayter in MGSV, and people have opinions.

Except there was a reason for that and the ending was so rushed they couldn't schedule David in time to make it land.