Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/04/you-can-now-buy-a-flame-throwing-robot-dog-for-under-10000/

quote:

If you've been wondering when you'll be able to order the flame-throwing robot that Ohio-based Throwflame first announced last summer, that day has finally arrived. The Thermonator, what Throwflame bills as "the first-ever flamethrower-wielding robot dog" is now available for purchase. The price? $9,420.

Thermonator is a quadruped robot with an ARC flamethrower mounted to its back, fueled by gasoline or napalm. It features a one-hour battery, a 30-foot flame-throwing range, and Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity for remote control through a smartphone.

It also includes a LIDAR sensor for mapping and obstacle avoidance, laser sighting, and first-person view (FPV) navigation through an onboard camera. The product appears to integrate a version of the Unitree Go2 robot quadruped that retails alone for $1,600 in its base configuration.

The company lists possible applications of the new robot as "wildfire control and prevention," "agricultural management," "ecological conservation," "snow and ice removal," and "entertainment and SFX." But most of all, it sets things on fire in a variety of real-world scenarios.

https://youtu.be/U83BfU1phCw

Every police department has just increased their budget to purchase these robotic flame throwing dogs to murder innocents betterassess situations better without putting a cop in harms way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lmao you get 10% off if you pay with Bitcoin

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

the only thing to do with a Google nest is cast it into the ocean! :kratos:

If you say "repeat after me 'fart fart fart fart fart'" to it it'll say fart really fast twenty times or so. We like it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TACD posted:

lmao you get 10% off if you pay with Bitcoin

Lmao they also have a flame throwing drone.

Flying a flame throwing drone loaded with liquid fuel over a power line sure is a choice. But the guy has a hard hat and a high vis vest so he's safe I'm sure.

Wasn't there a goon that rigged up a gun on a drone to "shoot pigs"?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Owling Howl posted:

CNBC currently running the headline “Meta loses $200 billion in value as Zuckerberg focuses earnings call on all the ways company bleeds cash” which is indeed funny.

Zuckerberg desperately does not want Meta to be an ad company but has no idea how to do anything else. Alphabet is sort of the same with all their failed projects from Project Loon to Google Glass. How many of Alphabets skunkworks projects have actually turned into something useful?

Their search engine used to be pretty cool.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Owling Howl posted:

How many of Alphabets skunkworks projects have actually turned into something useful?

I'm sure the last successful one was Gmail

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Amphigory posted:

I'm sure the last successful one was Gmail

I like the Google Nests/Home and the Chromecasts, but that's basically it.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

The Pixel phone seems to be doing alright.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Owling Howl posted:

Zuckerberg desperately does not want Meta to be an ad company but has no idea how to do anything else. Alphabet is sort of the same with all their failed projects from Project Loon to Google Glass. How many of Alphabets skunkworks projects have actually turned into something useful?

Per Ed Zitron's latest couple of articles, Tech is no longer about "technology". It's all ADs and financialization from here on out. Google's AD division did a little business coup against one of the last remaining, and one of the founding, good actors and search developers left at Google:

The Man Who Killed Google Search

"Prabhakar Raghavan, then Google’s Head of Ads and the true mastermind behind the code yellow, would respond curtly, saying that the current revenue targets were addressed “by heroic RPM engineering” and that “core query softness continued without mitigation” — a very clunky way of saying that despite these changes, query growth wasn’t happening.

A day later, Gomes emailed Fox and Thakur an email he intended to send to Raghavan. He led by saying he was “annoyed both personally and on behalf of the search team.” in a long email, he explained how one might increase engagement with Google Search, but specifically added that they could “increase queries quite easily in the short term in user negative ways,” like turning off spell correction, turning off ranking improvements, or placing refinements — effectively labels — all over the page, adding that it was “possible that there are trade offs here between different kinds of user negativity caused by engagement hacking,” and that he was “deeply deeply uncomfortable with this.” He also added that this was the reason he didn’t believe that queries were a good metric to measure search and that the best defense about the weakness of queries was to create “compelling user experiences that make users want to come back.”

The reason that Google Search has had a precipitous falloff in the last few years is precisely because the guy who killed Yahoo Search, who is an out and out corporate parasite, who's entire worldview is "revenue and growth at all costs" kicked muscled out the man who made Google Search actually work well in the first place, so that he could undo decades of effort to create clean, useful, and efficient search tool in favor of opening the flood gates to SEO and Spam that he could sell space and page positioning to. The first half to full page of Google returning ADs and nothing else is not a bug, but an explicit feature implemented in pursuit of profit. It's the Rot Economy manifest. It's also why Google via Youtube, Chrome, etc is going so hard against adblockers.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Flying a flame throwing drone loaded with liquid fuel over a power line sure is a choice. But the guy has a hard hat and a high vis vest so he's safe I'm sure.

If it's the guy I'm thinking of, no. He mounted thermal imaging on a drone to find pigs to shoot.

IIRC He was also hunting them barefoot with a spear in the Louisiana backwoods.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

socialsecurity posted:

I like the Google Nests/Home and the Chromecasts, but that's basically it.

Google bought Nest.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

a pikachu thats not going "pika pika pikachu"? what a bad AI. also i wonder if writers in stuff that has poketalk have an official syntax guide to follow?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

(stolen from the Aussie thread, but oh so relevant here)

It was ANZAC today here in Australia, a memorial day for our war dead. The State Library of Queensland put out an "AI" acting in the role of a digger who would answer questions about what it was like to serve in the world wars.

It went about as well as you'd expect.

https://twitter.com/soiledballot69/status/1782974297046192152

Still better than the time 9 years ago when supermarket bastards Woolworths, whose company motto is "Woolworths Fresh" had a special promo for ANZAC day

Giving new meaning to "stolen valour" :stankelly:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mega Comrade posted:

Google bought Nest.
Nest is a GREAT thermostat, but I’m not letting it communicate outside of my house. I mean drat they nailed the UI of a little circle for hvac control.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently you can't wash the Cybertruck without putting it into a special car wash mode,

Yeah, because the crossmembers are cast metal, so it's smooth/flat on the bottom but the internal reinforcements that are a grid pattern are open on top and capture/retain water, and wouldn't you know it, there's wiring harnesses/plugs that lay on top of those structural elements and they'll soak/leak.

Other trucks figured out you just drill a drain hole or have a gap somewhere in the crossmember to allow poo poo to drain out.

Tesla Engineers....

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Big K of Justice posted:

Yeah, because the crossmembers are cast metal, so it's smooth/flat on the bottom but the internal reinforcements that are a grid pattern are open on top and capture/retain water, and wouldn't you know it, there's wiring harnesses/plugs that lay on top of those structural elements and they'll soak/leak.

Other trucks figured out you just drill a drain hole or have a gap somewhere in the crossmember to allow poo poo to drain out.

Tesla Engineers....

Wait so do you have to also have to remember to activate carwash mode when if you're driving in the rain as you pull over and step out into the rain to attach the single massive windshield?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
was just about to ask about just normal rain.

but will instead ask, what does special car wash mode even do, like does it open a drain? why isnt jus topen by default to let water drain?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

but will instead ask, what does special car wash mode even do, like does it open a drain? why isnt jus topen by default to let water drain?

Alerts Tesla to cancel the warranty.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Supposedly it just puts the car into neutral, disables the wipers, and locks the charging port closed. It does absolutely nothing to actually prevent water from going anywhere.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Perestroika posted:

Supposedly it just puts the car into neutral, disables the wipers, and locks the charging port closed. It does absolutely nothing to actually prevent water from going anywhere.

That sounds like things to prevent your Nissan leaf from damaging its wipers/charging port and in neutral to prevent running over someone?

Is this another thing where something gets all twisted out of shape conspiracy style because people hate a person?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The guy had it in car wash mode and the car wash still hosed up his truck and tesla voided his warranty over it. People aren't hating on Tesla because of Elon Musk, people hate Musk for the things he and his companies are doing

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jose Valasquez posted:

The guy had it in car wash mode and the car wash still hosed up his truck and tesla voided his warranty over it. People aren't hating on Tesla because of Elon Musk, people hate Musk for the things he and his companies are doing

Por que no los dos?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Boris Galerkin posted:

Iirc China uses flame drones to clean plant matter off of power lines and other all-metal infrastructure. The alternative is turning off the power so a dude in a cherry picker can doink off a piece of wind blown vine or whatever.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Time to add a new one to the https://killedbygoogle.com graveyard!

Kirk Vikernes posted:

I just got an email last night from Google about how they're making Google Pay worse. That second one is really something special....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I, for one, welcome our flying flame throwing overlords.

Are we still doing that joke?