Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

For example a VC might invest $100M for 10% of a company, which makes the company worth $1B. That's the number the press talks about. What they don't talk about (because it is done via confidential contracts) is that the 10% is only true if the company keeps going up Up UP! If that doesn't happen the investor gets to lay claim to more shares at a reduced price so that their original investment is made whole. So if the company IPOs at a valuation of $750M (making the initial investment worth $75M) the VC might be able to buy an additional 10% of the company for $50M... making their total ownership 20% at $150M and they didn't lose a penny. Employees on the other hand who bought shares at a time when they thought and were being told by the founders that the company was worth a billion dollars are screwed - this is kind of what happened to Square employees.

oddly enough silicon valley of all shows showed me that most start-up valuations are complete bullshit and filled with fun little clauses like the one you detailed there.

edit: i also genuinely like uber and think its better than taxis because taxis in the dmv region are utter garbage. it took them until 2013 to accept credit cards. no really.

so i hope uber figures out a way to stick around, from a user experience its miles better than a taxi. airbnb i find creepy and weird because i think staying in someone stranger's house without them there (or even weirder: with them there) is super imposing and impolite. like you're a house guest but not really because you're paying?

axeil fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

axeil posted:

edit: i also genuinely like uber and think its better than taxis because taxis in the dmv region are utter garbage. it took them until 2013 to accept credit cards. no really.
so i hope uber figures out a way to stick around, from a user experience its miles better than a taxi.

Everybody agrees about that. What we really need is a regulatory system that allows new taxi businesses to start up, instead of providing a state-imposed monopoly on the number of people who can get permits to drive taxis. However, Uber is bypassing not only the medallion system, but also standard rules about insurance, liability, training, security checks .... all under the claim that it's just private citizens moonlighting.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Medallions have nothing to do with taxis that you call up.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Everybody agrees about that. What we really need is a regulatory system that allows new taxi businesses to start up, instead of providing a state-imposed monopoly on the number of people who can get permits to drive taxis. However, Uber is bypassing not only the medallion system, but also standard rules about insurance, liability, training, security checks .... all under the claim that it's just private citizens moonlighting.

virginia did...something that allowed uber to operate in the state legally but i have no idea if it was an actual regulatory regime or just "okay you can operate here and not follow any laws"

i think they were already righteous in DC and maryland.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sure, buddy, the Teamsters absolutely will not care about you taking over hired freight on the DL. :rolleyes:

You won't have to worry about labour unions once my Pinkrton scabbing app goes live.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peel posted:

You won't have to worry about labour unions once my Pinkrton scabbing app goes live.

This very thread is full of future unicorns.

OR ELSE! :toughguy:

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Theranos is looking like it will probably become a fraud case, not just a collapse.

Theranos didn't realize this isn't the 90's anymore and healthcare isn't the best field to do that type of fraud.

Alternatively we'll get to see just how ineffectual our legal system is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pervis posted:

Theranos didn't realize this isn't the 90's anymore and healthcare isn't the best field to do that type of fraud.

Alternatively we'll get to see just how ineffectual our legal system is.

It'll all come out in the court case(s), but I wonder what they did with all the venture money. Research that just didn't pan out? A creator who is sure that just a little more time and it will all come together?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It'll all come out in the court case(s), but I wonder what they did with all the venture money. Research that just didn't pan out? A creator who is sure that just a little more time and it will all come together?

i always figured most of it went into legal fees to draw out a defense of a position you can't hold until favorable legislation went through

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

go3 posted:

i always figured most of it went into legal fees to draw out a defense of a position you can't hold until favorable legislation went through

But the evidence is that the multiple-drop testing simply didn't work; when the Feds looked at the lab, most of the testing equipment was regular (requires bigger samples) equipment, and when they were drawing blood in IIRC Arizona it turned out they were actually asking for a full blood draw rather than a finger prick. At some point they must have realized the science wasn't quite there and started faking it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This very thread is full of future unicorns.

OR ELSE! :toughguy:

I'm proud to announce a new cloud-based executive HR app.

It pings you when
  • there are so few women employed in a division of your company that you will start to have PR problems,
  • when press articles about your company and selected terms, such as "women", "chicks", "discrimination" "atmosphere", "it all", and "rape" appear in news feeds.
Our new product fully interfaces with your HR systems to automatically generate job listings, move individuals between divisions to balance quotas, hire female applicants without dependents, and (of course) "recycle" those female employees when their healthcare costs change, harassment complaints are lodged or benefits are close to vesting.

All of these useful tools are run using a proprietary algorithm that combines "set it and forget it" convenience with a lack of transparency or direct user accountability- everything a busy tech executive needs.

Bindr is going live in Q3 2016. We're now looking for investors to help scale up our systems and improve cross-platform access and synergy.

We're also looking for partners for an expanded app that interfaces with employee ID and profile image systems. Using new facial recognition and skin tone detection metrics, we'll soon be able to provide similar employment/disemployment services for a much broader range of troublesome image groups. IndenturaSlavrKooli will also generate press-friendly mixed-demo employee gathering photos on the fly.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 9, 2016

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A good chunk of why uber service is "better" is because your driver is operating under circumstances where the next four star review could get them fired. Regular taxi drivers don't have to suck your dick to keep their job and imo that's what a lot of people like about uber over taxis.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The idea behind Uber and its labor model is to strip away any remaining comforts or security for the working class, so they can finally get back to toiling 12 hours a day from the cradle to the grave for the convenience of the bourgeois upper middle class, like god intended

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

go3 posted:

They have been doing things like charging patients $7 for a test then paying UC San Francisco >$300 for a comprehensive panel on it because Theranos's wonder machines don't actually work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

The idea behind Uber and its labor model is to strip away any remaining comforts or security for the working class, so they can finally get back to toiling 12 hours a day from the cradle to the grave for the convenience of the bourgeois upper middle class, like god intended

This. No sick leave, no protection against layoffs, no liability bonds, no workman's comp, wage determined entirely by the whims of the employer, and of course no unions. It's a lot cheaper to run a company if you define all (most) of the employees as independent contractors, as well as requiring them to provide their own tools.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This. No sick leave, no protection against layoffs, no liability bonds, no workman's comp, wage determined entirely by the whims of the employer, and of course no unions. It's a lot cheaper to run a company if you define all (most) of the employees as independent contractors, as well as requiring them to provide their own tools.

Shifty Pony posted:

They have been doing things like charging patients $7 for a test then paying UC San Francisco >$300 for a comprehensive panel on it because Theranos's wonder machines don't actually work.
Oooh, link? (I'll be very embarrassed if that was covered in one of the links I put up yesterday.)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oooh, link? (I'll be very embarrassed if that was covered in one of the links I put up yesterday.)

It is in the initial October WSJ article. That's pay walled but here's a random blog which has the paragraph quoted:

http://labsoftnews.typepad.com/lab_soft_news/2016/01/theranos-outsourcing-some-tests-and-suffering-losses-on-this-basis.html

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

You can laugh at this but it is only a matter of time before things end up like this:

Savior the moment while it lasts.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is America. They'll find ways to get around that too. "Well hey we aren't a taxi system we just let people charge gas money for rides to their buddies."

The problem with Uber is that it's basically illustrating what America stands for right now. Other than the people writing the app they've passed all of the cost of operating the business to the drivers. They're using the "but these guys are their own bosses now!" type of thinking to justify it when really it's a way to just a way of making it impossible to unionize or fight against any bullshit the company does. They're deliberately exploiting the stupid and/or desperate.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If I had to guess I'd say that Uber wouldn't need to do that much different to have the Independent Contractors thing be clearly in the legal column. Like not caring about the hours drivers work, letting them set asking prices, and showing those to customers before they book the car.

That's probably still a completely viable app and company (though such a company doesn't have to be Uber).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

If I had to guess I'd say that Uber wouldn't need to do that much different to have the Independent Contractors thing be clearly in the legal column. Like not caring about the hours drivers work, letting them set asking prices, and showing those to customers before they book the car.

That's probably still a completely viable app and company (though such a company doesn't have to be Uber).

Letting them set prices is directly contrary to Uber's business model, in which prices are set based on demand.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Aren't most taxi drivers independent contractors?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

silence_kit posted:

Aren't most taxi drivers independent contractors?

Varies from place to place, but there's definitely a misclassification issue with a lot of taxi and delivery drivers as well. Generally, independent contractors are supposed to perform work that's outside the "core" business of the contracting company. This is really problematic for Uber because they're clearly in the business of ferrying people around. They'd have no problem at all if they were simply a middleman to pair passengers with drivers, but seriously presenting that as their business model would mean giving up almost all of the control they currently exert over drivers.

That said, Uber isn't unique in loving this up and 1099 misclassification didn't start with the sharing economy. It's a problem in general, Uber is just incredibly blatant about it.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
But it's not totally crazy to believe that Uber does add something via their platform that could survive labor regulations and overall be a positive for the customer, is it?

I mean, Uber's business model itself probably couldn't survive being classified as non-1099, but some other company could do something with it, right?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

That said, Uber isn't unique in loving this up and 1099 misclassification didn't start with the sharing economy. It's a problem in general, Uber is just incredibly blatant about it.
I was working at a major database company when they decided to reclassify all the technical writers as contractors. Needless to say, this didn't affect our duties in any way; it just pushed the cost of benefits on to us and removed the ability to participate in bonuses.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Flip Yr Wig posted:

But it's not totally crazy to believe that Uber does add something via their platform that could survive labor regulations and overall be a positive for the customer, is it?

I mean, Uber's business model itself probably couldn't survive being classified as non-1099, but some other company could do something with it, right?

For Uber to be profitable, it's going to have to raise prices. By a lot. This isn't even to comply with regulations, it's because they're currently being subsidized with VC money. This will make them much less attractive to people compared with regular cabs.

The positives that Uber brought is basically "call a cab with an app" (note that they don't even give you an accurate map of available cabs). That's not really that novel, and certainly not something worth $51 billion. Especially if cabs adopt a similar "call with an app" feature (and most likely, someone is going to develop that app and then sell it to the cab companies).

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think they built some really nice looking facility on Page Mill road, so I imagine they had to pay for that. They finished building it last year I think.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What I'm curious about is the knock-on effect all these pending collapses will have on cities like Seattle and San Francisco where the prices are exploding out of control thanks to all the techies concentrating there.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brannock posted:

What I'm curious about is the knock-on effect all these pending collapses will have on cities like Seattle and San Francisco where the prices are exploding out of control thanks to all the techies concentrating there.

You may find more immediate answers in the PNW or California political threads, but in short you have skyrocketing housing costs, NIMBYs who absolutely refuse to allow for high density development and fighting between "techie" and "art/community/local" social groups.

The real problem of course is NIMBYs, because gently caress those short-sighted, selfish assholes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The last two tech crashes (as opposed to the overall financial panic), house sales stayed steady at lower prices, because all the people who couldn't afford to buy got in.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Brannock posted:

Tech is already springing up in a ton of other areas, especially ones with far lower costs of living. I live near Pittsburgh and its tech sector is growing rapidly.

One of the big issues Silicon Valley and the like are running into is that a great many people just flat out don't want to live in a place where the rent is $3,000 a month for a studio apartment. Yeah sure you can probably start at $70K a year there but you're already paying half of that in rent before taxes or other expenses. Is it worth it? Some people say yes, others say no but where I'm originally from you can buy an entire goddamned house for less than a year's rent. That also makes remote positions even sexier if people can nail them.

I don't think there's going to be a ton of knock-off effect as the tech giants probably aren't going anywhere.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the big issues Silicon Valley and the like are running into is that a great many people just flat out don't want to live in a place where the rent is $3,000 a month for a studio apartment. Yeah sure you can probably start at $70K a year there but you're already paying half of that in rent before taxes or other expenses. Is it worth it? Some people say yes, others say no but where I'm originally from you can buy an entire goddamned house for less than a year's rent. That also makes remote positions even sexier if people can nail them.
This is what I said in the 1980s, when a house in Palo Alto was a ridiculous $300K. Nostalgic sigh. (It's a bubble like any other. Ask the residents of Mountain View about the aerospace bubble.)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
As someone who works in MV/PA in Aerospace, and used to live in MV for many years, what the hell are you talking about?

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Northern California will always be valuable real estate over our lifespans because of its Mediterranean climate.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mitztronic posted:

As someone who works in MV/PA in Aerospace, and used to live in MV for many years, what the hell are you talking about?

There was a crash in the 1970s (ish) when the government pulled way back on R/D funding and military contracts.

e: This gloomy paper from 1986 points out that "overall, since 1975, total U.S. aircraft production has collapsed 77%".

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 10, 2016

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I think it's time we moved on from disrupting corrupt industry regulations and sclerotic labour laws. Today's world is marked by a resurgent Russia, an assertive China, a complex Middle East and an India not to be ignored. We need to bring some innovation to the intelligence and national security sector.

If you are a government worker or official with access to classified information, or a foreign government agent looking for a hot tip, download Traitr now to get in contact with your peers on the other side. Just fill in the Traits of the documents you can offer or are interested in, and our custom matchmaking app will hook you up with an interested user. We also offer Airbnb integration with a special search optimised for landlords who don't ask questions.

Traitr is purely a matchmaking intermediary and accepts no legal liability related to the content or nature of the information transferred by users.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Man, it'd be awesome if rents went down.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah sure you can probably start at $70K a year there
D'awww :3:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Peel posted:

Traitr is purely a matchmaking intermediary and accepts no legal liability related to the content or nature of the information transferred by users.

:golfclap:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Peel posted:

I think it's time we moved on from disrupting corrupt industry regulations and sclerotic labour laws. Today's world is marked by a resurgent Russia, an assertive China, a complex Middle East and an India not to be ignored. We need to bring some innovation to the intelligence and national security sector.

If you are a government worker or official with access to classified information, or a foreign government agent looking for a hot tip, download Traitr now to get in contact with your peers on the other side. Just fill in the Traits of the documents you can offer or are interested in, and our custom matchmaking app will hook you up with an interested user. We also offer Airbnb integration with a special search optimised for landlords who don't ask questions.

I hear kids these days are all about the memes, this app icon should handily ensnare the next Snowden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Brannock posted:

prices are still going to be out of control - young people and wealthy people are returning to cities at record rates. san francisco will be expensive but probably not as ludicrously so, and less obnoxious in general if the tech bubble completely collapses. the only thing pushing san francisco prices to the most expensive in the country is the concentration of software companies, and if the allure of san francisco wears off or if there's no particular advantage to being square in the middle of the hottest (but not only!) tech hub then more companies are going to take a long look at paying much lower wages to attract workers to perfectly livable but less prestigious cities

i see a lot of the software industry in atlanta and the biggest advantage here is that you can pay excellent coders less than six figures and their money goes a long way because the cost of living is a lot cheaper - especially older employees who don't want 24/7 urban amenities or the most bleeding edge cultural scene but rather a nice big house in a good school district for less than a half million. honestly one thing that's missing from a lot of people's perspectives on san francisco or seattle's downtown tech hubs and insane rents is that it's mostly a young adult's game, and as this cohort ages if they keep a foothold in the industry their values will shift as well. if you want to have a family and you don't make it into upper management you really can't compete with $5k rents for a multiple bedroom apartment

one other small aspect is chauvinism, there's a lot of folks who think that places like omaha or raleigh-durham might as well be a dung-smoked yurt at the end of the earth and frankly i'm fine with those people confining themselves to the most expensive cities

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 10, 2016