Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

lol Solkanar, that's a pretty bizarre argument to be making - that bumfuck nowhere areas tend to be better to GLBT people

I really don't understand why reading comprehension is so difficult for so many of you.

Moving on, it seems strange to me that small tech companies who actually make poo poo are getting nailed. Tableau stock went down 50% in the past week or so. What in the hell happened there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Based on the dot-com wave, stockholders buy expecting Facebook-style (at the time it was Amazon-style IIRC) growth, and they panic at any sign that the growth curve is tapering off. If you can't become rich holding the stock, better sell it off and buy something that *can* make you rich. Lowering your earnings expectations is a classic way to panic investors. (Earnings predictions are such a crazy dance anyway; back in dot-com it was expected for companies to inform finance insiders of their *real* predictions, leading to the "whisper numbers". I have no idea if this still happens.)

e: I just encountered the Gartner Magic Quadrant and now I have a stabbing pain in my insides.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Just imagine the spokesman winking after every sentence while reading out the report.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Speaking of startups and compliance failures, how about Zenefits!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/techflash/2016/02/zenefits-scandal-spreads-regulators-hr-tech.html

quote:

The legal challenges confronting San Francisco digital HR giant Zenefits are rippling across the nation, with insurance departments in several states investigating compliance issues at the startup.
Not only is Zenefits, which replaced co-founder Parker Conrad as CEO Monday with former COO David Sacks, being investigated by the state of Washington for allegedly selling insurance without proper licensing, but it now is facing similar scrutiny from insurance commissioners in other states.

One of the last things you want to do is sell insurance without a license.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

redscare posted:

But... but... breaking the laws is disruptive!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

redscare posted:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/techflash/2016/02/zenefits-scandal-spreads-regulators-hr-tech.html

Yeah, my wife mentioned it's $10k per incident in WA and I presume it's similar elsewhere. Nice work!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

redscare posted:

lol the same publication just named the ex-CEO its executive of the year in December
lmbo

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

go3 posted:

what does any of this have to do with the OP

i pointed out that one of the reasons west coast tech hubs are so expensive compared to other tech hubs is a mistaken, arrogant belief that these costly places are somehow unique in terms of cultural amenities or quality of life. a goon then came along and confirmed this accusation of bigotry, because goons can't read opinions without disagreeing with them. hence an argument about whether life is worth living away from the coasts

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The Bay Area's extremely livable though.

There's a reason why places like Austin are becoming hubs as well.

Who wants to live in the flyover states?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

shrike82 posted:

The Bay Area's extremely livable though.

There's a reason why places like Austin are becoming hubs as well.

Who wants to live in the flyover states?

Please can we talk about high-tech unicorns? Insulting each other's places of residence will lead to nothing but tears boredom.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

shrike82 posted:

lol the same publication just named the ex-CEO its executive of the year in December
lmbo

It gets better!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/techflash/2016/02/zenefits-jet-com-parker-conrad-compliance-scandal.html

quote:

Online shopping startup Jet.com ended its relationship with Zenefits last week, during a benefits renewal period. Jet has more than 1,000 employees and was the company's biggest client, besides Zenefits itself.

“We are not the best vendor for 1,000-employee companies like Jet," Kenneth Baer, a spokesperson for Zenefits, said in a statement to the San Francisco Business Times. "We’re happy for Jet’s success and their rapid growth and Zenefits is working with them to transition them to an enterprise solution.”

They couldn't scale and lost their biggest customer. A shameful unicorn.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

This seems kind of related to the part where MBAs who have never seen the inside of a factory or r&d lab end up faking competence.

When I was working in retail, the probably newly-minted MBA-carrying regional manager started talking to us about workers on the factory floor.

I was politic enough to avoid responding with "you do realize this is a retail outlet, and that we don't have a line of customers coming in which we assemble into buyers, right?"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

tbf, start-ups of the sorta we're talking about would probably sneer at the notion of MBAs

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

redscare posted:

It gets better!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/techflash/2016/02/zenefits-jet-com-parker-conrad-compliance-scandal.html

They couldn't scale and lost their biggest customer. A shameful unicorn.

A thousand plus employees was their break point? Truly a shameful unicorn, in some industries over a thousand employees is still a small business.

shrike82 posted:

tbf, start-ups of the sorta we're talking about would probably sneer at the notion of MBAs

Well yeah, because people with MBAs are hopefully trained to look for things like a sustainable business model or a profit margin.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Please can we talk about high-tech unicorns? Insulting each other's places of residence will lead to nothing but tears boredom.

Yeah, one of you can post a new thread called "No, here not be dragons, rear end in a top hat!" or something and talk about how one shouldn't count out Raleigh/Durham, Atlanta, St. Louis, Lincoln, Salt Lake City, etc, as places to live or whatever, and how the fact that people do count them out leads to an unsustainable real-estate market. Let's keep this thread more focused, please.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

Well yeah, because people with MBAs are hopefully trained to look for things like a sustainable business model or a profit margin.

Or "revenue" :v:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

you get the worst of both worlds when you have MBAs basically cargo-cult start-ups.

then there are VC groups that focus on having MBAs clone successful ventures. Rocket Internet is notorious for this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If you haven't watched the talk Lowtax gave at a college like a thousand years ago go find it. He actually touched on what happened during the tech bubble and it sounds eerily similar to what's going on now. He talked about stuff like "people mostly spending money on fancy chairs to ask people for more money to buy fancier chairs with to impress people wealthier than that." Revenue wasn't talked about beyond getting traffic to your site to sell ad space to spend that money on ad space to get more traffic. What the website did was irrelevant and was sometimes "literally nothing."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You can't help but feel deja vu when you read about things such as people getting booed if they dare ask a startup founder their revenue plan.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Speaking of jet.com, how is that place doing?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

You can't help but feel deja vu when you read about things such as people getting booed if they dare ask a startup founder their revenue plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

This whole series should be required viewing for folks posting in this thread.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 11, 2016

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Doctor Butts posted:

Pretty rapidly running out of runway last I heard.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

It turns out Amazon is still a pretty good place to buy stuff

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've never heard of them. looking at their website, it's just another e-commerce retail site?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So one of the Facebook board members just essentially said that colonialism was good for the third world, in reaction to Indian regulators banning their new walled garden subscription plan:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/facebook-and-the-new-colonialism

quote:

Anti-colonialism has been economically catastrophic for the Indian people for decades. Why stop now?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 11, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Solkanar512 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

This whole series should be required viewing for folks posting in this thread.

actual silicon valley startups don't like the series, guess why

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Probably because it's the equivalent of the Big Bang theory

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

unlike tbbt, silicon valley explicitly thinks silicon valley is funny and dumb rather than funny and cute

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

unlike tbbt, silicon valley explicitly thinks silicon valley is funny and dumb rather than funny and cute

There needs to be a series about academia from the funny and dumb angle.

What do startups think about Halt and Catch Fire?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

Dude, it's ok to say that you haven't had a chance to watch it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
TBBT wasn't really about Silicon Valley last i checked, it was about really rear end in a top hat academics that are still played off for laughs.

Funny and dumb for academia would basically be Office Space but also the main character would lecture utter morons.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at people defending big bang theory
*shouts strings of geek words*

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

shrike82 posted:

BBT is pretty much a bunch of caricatures while Silicon Valley hits way closer to home

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

computer parts posted:

TBBT wasn't really about Silicon Valley last i checked, it was about really rear end in a top hat academics that are still played off for laughs.

Funny and dumb for academia would basically be Office Space but also the main character would lecture utter morons.
correct, but my point is that tbbt doesn't go all the way and call everyone morons who deserve being the butt of all jokes

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

BBT is pretty much a bunch of caricatures while Silicon Valley hits way closer to home

If I remember correctly Silicon Valley had a hell of a time fleshing out a startup hhackathon/accelerator/meetup whatever because nearly every stupid idea and name they could think of was already an actual startup.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

blowfish posted:

actual silicon valley startups don't like the series, guess why

it's basically a documentary

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

If I remember correctly Silicon Valley had a hell of a time fleshing out a startup hhackathon/accelerator/meetup whatever because nearly every stupid idea and name they could think of was already an actual startup.

It's like doing a parody of the current Republican Primary; it's almost impossible because all of the most insane things you can think of have already been said

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

So one of the Facebook board members just essentially said that colonialism was good for the third world, in reaction to Indian regulators banning their new walled garden subscription plan:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/02/facebook-and-the-new-colonialism

Note that this isn't just a board member, this is Marc Andreesen, founder of Netscape, who is now one of the leading Silicon Valley VCs. His opinions have sway not just over Facebook, but over who gets funded and who doesn't.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Speaking of Twitter, reminder that they've actually announced that their user base is shrinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Note that this isn't just a board member, this is Marc Andreesen, founder of Netscape, who is now one of the leading Silicon Valley VCs. His opinions have sway not just over Facebook, but over who gets funded and who doesn't.

error 404