Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I don't know how zuckerberg could have hosed up his "metaverse" push and harder unless the company was actually self sabotaging. Literally no legs to stand on as a product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Zuck was ditching meetings to go hang out at Reality Labs, I believe he's willing to tank Facebook just to get more cutting edge VR demos out of it

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mercury_Storm posted:

I don't know how zuckerberg could have hosed up his "metaverse" push and harder unless the company was actually self sabotaging. Literally no legs to stand on as a product.

Pun intended?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Apparently Zuck got new handlers and they advised him to grow a beard. He looks "normal" now. I'd post a picture but it's very nsfw to look at his face and I don't want to get banned.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

He didn't make it mandatory to use Facebook, so he merely set a lot of money on fire, but didn't hurt the core products (modulo opportunity costs).

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently Zuck got new handlers and they advised him to grow a beard. He looks "normal" now. I'd post a picture but it's very nsfw to look at his face and I don't want to get banned.

It's fake, you fell for a fake story. Spend all weekend thinking about it

https://www.complex.com/life/a/backwoodsaltar/mark-zuckerberg-with-beard-fake-picture-twitter-reactions

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
People keep falling for fake Zuckercorn images because they are always much less uncanny valley compared to genuine ones.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
His obsession with Caesar leading to that loving haircut kills me every time. I wonder if he tells his stylist "please make me look like a school shooter"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Oh poo poo. I guess I am a boomer now.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I feel like the coaching or whatever has been paying off and zuck is coming across better in interviews these days. The marketing blitz with him doing regular/fun stuff like bbqing has been well done too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cybertruck has been recalled because the big geniuses there used lube to attach the accelerator pedal cover to the pedal and it was prone to slipping off and getting stuck.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c9ezp0lv039o

quote:

The company says an "unapproved change" in the production of the pedal meant "lubricant" was used in its assembly, which means the pad did not stick properly to the pedal.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Who was loving the truck?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Never met a Tesla owner I see

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Cybertruck pedal lubing culprit identified as Buggs Bunny from the Looney Toons cartoons after local man Elmer Fudd found stuck halfway into brick wall. News at 11.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 20, 2024

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

I feel like the coaching or whatever has been paying off and zuck is coming across better in interviews these days. The marketing blitz with him doing regular/fun stuff like bbqing has been well done too.

All thanks to sweet baby ray's

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cybertruck has been recalled because the big geniuses there used lube to attach the accelerator pedal cover to the pedal and it was prone to slipping off and getting stuck.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c9ezp0lv039o

The fact they glue the pedals on should be just as concerning. :stare:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Back Hack posted:

They don't glue the pedals on. They soap them on.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Just for the record soap is a perfectly fine lubricant for things that don't need to stay lubricated forever or shouldn't be full of grease.
The real wtf is that there was no proper fastener and/or whatever glue they used was soluble in soap.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's just a recipe for chafing

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Back Hack posted:

Hmm I thought that is fairly standard, how else would you fix that rubber pad to the pedal?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Buddy

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

BabyFur Denny posted:

Hmm I thought that is fairly standard, how else would you fix that rubber pad to the pedal?

You'd make the rubber pad enfold the pedal, taking advantage of the properties of rubber to flex and create a tight seal. You certainly wouldn't use soap, like I have heard they did.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BabyFur Denny posted:

glue it toa piece of metal and use screws

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

You'd make the rubber pad enfold the pedal, taking advantage of the properties of rubber to flex and create a tight seal. You certainly wouldn't use soap, like I have heard they did.

The problem as I understand it is that it's a push-fit gripping the pedal, but that makes it hard to put on so they use a lubricant to make it slide on easier, but that also makes it slide off easier.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

The problem as I understand it is that it's a push-fit gripping the pedal, but that makes it hard to put on so they use a lubricant to make it slide on easier, but that also makes it slide off easier.

Wouldn't surprise me the whole issue is around them trying to make it hold on through the properties of the shape (because they need to lubricate to assemble) rather than just gluing a strip of rubber onto metal (which is how we attached linatex and other rubber wearing products to metal robustly).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
And then we find out it's because Elon insisted they be able to sell an aftermarket replacement pedal cover shaped like a dick or something.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So...how does YouTube's ad algorithm work exactly?

I have my watch history turned off and pretty much just watch bad movie reviews, a little true crime, some sports and stand up comedy. Documentaries here and there. For some reason, 80% of my ads are weird games where people stand in a line to get eaten by a monster. Usually, it's a lady monster who likes to laugh at the lemming soldiers and also there's a pit or a cave between her and the dudes lining up to die.

WTF are those games even?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I have my watch history turned off and pretty much just watch bad movie reviews, a little true crime, some sports and stand up comedy. Documentaries here and there. For some reason, 80% of my ads are weird games where people stand in a line to get eaten by a monster. Usually, it's a lady monster who likes to laugh at the lemming soldiers and also there's a pit or a cave between her and the dudes lining up to die.

Typically not the game they're actually advertising. It's basically click bait for anyone who thinks "pretty lady booba" and gets tempted to click on it, because they'll possibly actually install and try it Even when it's very clearly not the same thing. The game is usually some rip off of existing popular f2p games.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Typically not the game they're actually advertising. It's basically click bait for anyone who thinks "pretty lady booba" and gets tempted to click on it, because they'll possibly actually install and try it Even when it's very clearly not the same thing. The game is usually some rip off of existing popular f2p games.

Huh.

I just don't really understand the game(s), why they're fun and why they're targeting ME.

I've sat through a few of these ads and...there's not even really a game there that I can see.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You have watch history turned off, they're not targeting YOU, they're targeting an amalgam of regular YouTube users.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If I were retaking my american pop culture class I would have made my final project on the bizarre world of mobile game ads. Extremely fascinating poo poo tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's part that it's far cheaper to make a clickbait ad than to make an actual game that isn't a clone, part targeting the average youtuber/social media user, and part

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
As a degenerate, I can confirm that pretty lady booba works and that I've clicked on plenty of them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

You have watch history turned off, they're not targeting YOU, they're targeting an amalgam of regular YouTube users.

Now I just have even more questions

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Now I just have even more questions

You're currently being served ads from the "don't bother with targeting or segmentation, just show whoever" cheap ads bucket. It's unlikely that you'll care, but because it's so cheap the buyer probably doesn't care either; they just want whales, they don't care where they come from, and if the untargeted ads can still get enough results they'll keep buying them.

It's not that they know your deepest, creepiest secrets and desires (and they do...), it's that this is what everyone gets. You're getting the 2024 version of "punch the monkey to win an iPod"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
your mistake is using a hardware platform you cant put an adblocker on. oh and also still bing logged into your google account.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kwyndig posted:

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Wouldn't surprise me the whole issue is around them trying to make it hold on through the properties of the shape (because they need to lubricate to assemble) rather than just gluing a strip of rubber onto metal (which is how we attached linatex and other rubber wearing products to metal robustly).

The situation is a lot more obvious if you look at an actual picture:

They made the stupid metal cover slide on from the top. Because it's a flat trapezoid. There are so many other ways they could have designed it to just not have this problem.

This is the fix Tesla has opted for:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 21, 2024

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

I just don't really understand why they're targeting ME.

BiggerBoat posted:

I've sat through a few of these ads

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The situation is a lot more obvious if you look at an actual picture:

They made the stupid metal cover slide on from the top. Because it's a flat trapezoid. There are so many other ways they could have designed it to just not have this problem.

This is the fix Tesla has opted for:

Or at least how they're supposed to fix it, in real life however...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

BiggerBoat posted:

Everyone gets Hero Wars ads, now that Mafia City, Evony and Raid: Shadow legends seem to have found the whale-to-ad-dollar ratio drop too low.

Advertising exists on a spectrum from highly targeted, well crafted and expensive to low quality spam carpet-bombed indiscriminately across the internet.

The latter is almost always about games, gambling and girls, because they're the cheapest, quickest most addictive dopamine hits you can get. They make up the majority of ads on the internet, because there's only so much stuff of genuine substance people need or can afford.