Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

I'm comparing it with the other major hubs like SF and NYC.

It's right behind SF in terms of insane rises in rent and similar measures. Seriously, wander into the PNW Politics thread if you don't believe me, housing costs are a major, major concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

Sometimes the behavior of investors makes me wonder if they are not actually human but instead some sort of ungulate.

Autistic, sociopathic robot

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the dot-com era I very briefly (6 months) worked for an investment bank, on the infrastructure side. The actual movers and shakers were quite blunt about how little they cared what happened to a stock after they brought it public. Their job was to make $$$$ for the investment bank and coincidentally some of the founders at the IPO, to give the company a couple of Buy ratings, and then to cut the company loose. Some investors* buy invest pre-IPO and then dump most, if not all, of the shares at the IPO; they don't think the stock is a long-term win, they just want to make the quick profit.

* You have to be what used to be a "sophisticated investor", now a "qualified investor" to be allowed to invest at this stage. There are several different criteria, but two of them boil down to "having more than $1M net worth" and "having more than $200K yearly income".

it's a bit more complex than that (was on the buy side myself).
there's a fair bit of relationship management involved with institutional clients and the company being IPOed so it's not just IPO and forget.
i mean there's a reason why IPOs have been overwhelmingly underpriced

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Bastard Tetris posted:

Neither would surprise me. I'm so glad I'm out of that mess.

I wouldn't want to be working for someone making misleading claims that's for sure, but it's a great sector to be in. It's technology that will have big impacts on peoples lives even with it's current limitations. There will be some big winners regardless of a tech bust.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

size1one posted:

I wouldn't want to be working for someone making misleading claims that's for sure, but it's a great sector to be in. It's technology that will have big impacts on peoples lives even with it's current limitations. There will be some big winners regardless of a tech bust.

I'm still in the sector, just at a way better company.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Jesus Christ at Theranos

quote:

In May 2013 Ian Gibbons, a senior biochemist employed at Theranos for more than eight years committed suicide after telling his wife that "Nothing is working [at the company]".[11][12]

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

shrike82 posted:

it's a bit more complex than that (was on the buy side myself).
there's a fair bit of relationship management involved with institutional clients and the company being IPOed so it's not just IPO and forget.
i mean there's a reason why IPOs have been overwhelmingly underpriced
The people I was supporting were on the sell side, but at that time (again, dot-com era) somebody laughingly assured me that the "Chinese wall" was a theoretical construct nobody paid attention to, and that the buy-side analysts did the sell-side people's bidding. I didn't know much about it, and certainly the statement was from the sell side's biased viewpoint.

This is *so* not my field of expertise, though: see "infrastructure support" and the 6-month stay.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Autistic, sociopathic robot

Sociopathic robots would make rational decisions with the information available. Investors act like wildebeest whose watering hole has been spiked with Red Bull. OMG THE COMPANY REVISED THEIR EXPECTED QUARTERLY PROFITS DOWN 5%! WE'RE DOOMED SELL SELL SELL! :supaburn:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Uber just paid $28M to settle a class-action lawsuit. (They probably found the money in the couch cushions.)

quote:

Uber has agreed to pay $28.5 million to settle a class-action lawsuit that took issue with the company’s claims that its driver background checks were “industry leading.”

The terms of the settlement, filed on Thursday in the United States District Court in the Northern District of California, require Uber to pay roughly 25 million riders across the United States and to reword the language around the fee that the company charges for each ride.

Uber will rename the fee, called the “safe ride fee,” to a “booking fee.” The ride-hailing company said it would use the fee to “cover safety as well as additional operational costs that could arise in the future.” Lyft, a main Uber rival, has made a similar change, Uber said.

“No means of transportation can ever be 100 percent safe. Accidents and incidents do happen,” Uber said in a statement. “That’s why it’s important to ensure that the language we use to describe safety at Uber is clear and precise.”
“We are glad to put these cases behind us and we will continue to invest in new technology and great customer services so that we can help improve safety in our cities,” Uber said.
Ayup.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

shrike82 posted:

I haven't been there a year but it still seemed pretty cheap to me.
2.5 grand for a 1BR downtown.

Anything over $1,500 a month for a 1BR is pretty crazy. I'd argue that anything over $1,000 is crazy. The Bay Area has tiny studio apartments that are going for over $3,000 a month. NYC is almost as bad and Seattle is pretty ridiculous too. There are cities where you can snag a decently sized 1BR for $700 a month downtown. If you're making bank in a tech job that's payable but what if you aren't? If you're making $10 an hour it costs you over 300 hours (think taxes) a month just to pay your rent. Guess how many people can actually do that?

I don't live in a city but here I can snag a 1BR that would comfortably house two people, including all utilities except internet, for $550 a month.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I do live in a city but here I can snag a 1BR that would comfortably house two people, including all utilities except internet, for $550 a month.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anything over $1,500 a month for a 1BR is pretty crazy. I'd argue that anything over $1,000 is crazy. The Bay Area has tiny studio apartments that are going for over $3,000 a month. NYC is almost as bad and Seattle is pretty ridiculous too. There are cities where you can snag a decently sized 1BR for $700 a month downtown. If you're making bank in a tech job that's payable but what if you aren't? If you're making $10 an hour it costs you over 300 hours (think taxes) a month just to pay your rent. Guess how many people can actually do that?
Eh, any major city undergoing an economic and population boom is going to have high rent prices downtown. The really bad part is when you go outside the core a few miles and the prices are still stupid high, that's the real problem.

Luckily, Seattle seems to be doing a reasonably good job of building enough to meet demand, so things probably aren't going to reach bay area levels of dumb there:

quote:

It's not demand that has Seattle apartment landlords worried. It's supply.

More than 11,000 new units are expected to open this year in the region, and it's forecast that an equal number will open next year. For landlords this tsunami of new apartments comes at a terrible time with the market showing signs of weakness.

Construction of apartments was booming on Seattle's Capitol Hill in the summer of 2014, when this photo was taken, and still is. That will be a problem for developers because the rental market is showing signs of slowing down as thousands of new units open.

"In our portfolio, we're starting to see signs of things slowing down a little bit," Billy Pettit, senior vice president at Pillar Properties, said Monday.

While demand remains high, he said the large number of new units coming to the market is reason to pause, especially since the increase in supply is slowing down rent growth.
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/2015/11/bad-timingas-thousands-of-new-apartments-open.html

Those poor, poor developers. :ohdear:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Mmm, i guess if you want to talk really really cheap, Pittsburgh is cheap. I have an ex-classmate who works for the new Uber setup there. Wrangled Bay Area pay and is paying less than a grand for a 2BR.

Anyway the context is tech hubs.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pitt has a surprisingly decent tech community around Carnegie Mellon

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Solkanar512 posted:

It's right behind SF in terms of insane rises in rent and similar measures. Seriously, wander into the PNW Politics thread if you don't believe me, housing costs are a major, major concern.

Isn't the PNW having the issue where rich people are moving into the city centre to experience the 'artistic and musical culture' of the city, thereby driving up prices and forcing said artists and musicians to move somewhere cheaper?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't the PNW having the issue where rich people are moving into the city centre to experience the 'artistic and musical culture' of the city, thereby driving up prices and forcing said artists and musicians to move somewhere cheaper?

The conventional wisdom is that it's all techbros from Amazon, but it wouldn't surprise me if the issue were more complicated. My personal scape goat are the NIMBYs that have voted for years against dense development, not the transplants who are just getting to town.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

We like to call this phenomenon "gentrification"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

blowfish posted:

actual silicon valley startups don't like the series, guess why

It's the first time someone's held a non-funhouse mirror up to their worklives?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

It's the first time someone's held a non-funhouse mirror up to their worklives?

Fwiw, most techie friends of mine love that show, and one fits the smug ubermensch libertarian techie stereotype to a tee (he has only recently conceded that the unicorns with no non-VC cashflow might be in trouble but refuses to believe there's an app bubble).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

More bad news for unicorns:

In December AirBNB released report on NYC hosts being law-abiding ... after purging listings in November.

quote:

“The vast majority of our hosts are everyday people who have just one listing and share their space a few nights a month to help make ends meet,” [a company spokesman] wrote in an email Wednesday.

He continued, “Airbnb is an open people-to-people platform where listings come on and go off throughout the year.”

Data for the independent report was sourced from two separate sets, one collected by Murray Cox, the founder of Inside Airbnb, and the other by the technology writer Tom Slee, who recently wrote a book titled, “What’s Yours Is Mine: Against the Sharing Economy.” The data that informed the report is available for download.

Matt Mittenthal, a spokesman for New York’s attorney general, Eric T. Schneiderman, said, “If this analysis is accurate, it appears that Airbnb is again trying to downplay the number of illegal apartment listings on the site.”

“Airbnb continues to show a blatant disregard for New York laws designed to protect the rights of tenants and prevent the proliferation of illegal hotels,” he added.

State law bans apartment rentals of fewer than 30 days unless a permanent occupant is present, meaning that short-term, full apartment rentals are illegal. A host with multiple listings cannot be present in multiple locations at once.

Airbnb has a history of removing listings in bulk in New York. In 2014, it got rid of more than 2,000 listings in response to an affidavit filed by Mr. Schneiderman that said two-thirds of all apartments listed in the city were illegal.

Pandora is said to be in talks to sell itself. Whether this represents good or bad news depends on the price offered.

quote:

For Pandora, it would be a curious time to sell. Its shares are yielding a market value of $1.8 billion, down from more than $7 billion two years ago. The stock has fallen more than 60 percent since October.

Pandora has the largest number of users for music streaming, but the competition is encroaching. Spotify is said to be arming itself with another $500 million in capital, and Apple Music recently surpassed 10 million paying users. Pandora’s users peaked at 81.5 million at the end of 2014, declining to 78.1 million in the third quarter.

The company is spending heavily to attract more users, and its ability to make money from those users may be waning. In the third quarter, Pandora lowered its full-year financial guidance, expecting its adjusted earnings to be $51 million to $56 million, down from the $75 million to $85 million it projected in the quarter before.

Pandora is set to announce fourth-quarter and full-year earnings after the close of the market on Thursday. Analysts surveyed by Standard & Poor’s Capital IQ are expecting Pandora to post $1.2 billion in revenue for the year, an increase of 27 percent from 2014, the company’s slowest annual growth ever.

A panel of federal judges increased the royalty rate that companies like Pandora have to pay record companies. Internet radio services now have to pay 17 cents for every 100 times they play a song for listeners who do not pay for subscriptions, up from 14 cents.

and finally
naive editorial suggesting Twitter abandon hopes of growth and become a niche social-media company.

quote:

Perhaps there’s more promise in a future as an independent but private company; as a small and sustainable division of some larger tech or media conglomerate; or even as a venture that operates more like a nonprofit foundation. (it. mine)

Even if Twitter intends to remain a public corporation — because there does not seem to be much appetite, nor a very obvious mechanism, for investors to take it private — it’s time for Mr. Dorsey to reset expectations for what his company can become. Twitter should think of itself and portray itself to investors as more of a public utility than as a business that never stops growing, and that could ever hope to approach the market value of Facebook.
“Maybe Twitter is not meant to be the most popular band in the world,” said Anil Dash, a longtime user of Twitter and the chief executive of ThinkUp, a start-up that intends to improve how people use social networks. “Maybe it’s meant to be merely Pearl Jam and not U2, and maybe Twitter could find equilibrium as a company with an enterprise value of merely $5 billion.” (At the moment, the market values Twitter at about $10 billion.)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Arsenic Lupin posted:

More bad news for unicorns:

In December AirBNB released report on NYC hosts being law-abiding ... after purging listings in November.

This makes me laugh pretty hard.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Woolie Wool posted:

Sometimes the behavior of investors makes me wonder if they are not actually human but instead some sort of ungulate.

Poor ole Andreesen, thought of a down round and died.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

It's less about abandoning growth and more about abandoning attempts to be Facebook. Regardless, I think Google will end up buying it before too long for a bag of nickels.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

redscare posted:

It's less about abandoning growth and more about abandoning attempts to be Facebook. Regardless, I think Google will end up buying it before too long for a bag of nickels.
The thing is, all of the investor expectations have been for Facebook-style growth and monetization. Settling into its own niche is a failure by the standards of the investors. Google buying Twitter might make sense, but Google has proven over and over to be bad at social media, and Twitter isn't popular enough that they'd get the YouTube deal of hands-off management.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
To be honest that's kind of one thing that confuses me about some of the attitudes in software land. What's so wrong about having a little niche that you fill? Why does everything have to grow exponentially forever?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

To be honest that's kind of one thing that confuses me about some of the attitudes in software land. What's so wrong about having a little niche that you fill? Why does everything have to grow exponentially forever?
Because of the unicorn mindset. I once worked for a company whose CEO loudly announced, during dot-com, "I don't want to head up a $10M/year company!" Sure enough, within a couple of years it wasn't any more.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 12, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Google buying Twitter is the most sensible final path for Twitter. They've wanted to break into social media for a long time and Google+ is a joke that no one uses. They get a (fairly) popular platform and Twitter can stop panicking about how to monetize.

Of course it'll only make people millions of dollars instead of billions so instead they're gonna do a bunch of dumb stuff and destroy the platform.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My new app summarily executes people like you who question the wisdom of the marketplace

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

huskarl_marx posted:

My new app summarily executes people like you who question the wisdom of the marketplace

Job Creatr

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Mmm, i guess if you want to talk really really cheap, Pittsburgh is cheap. I have an ex-classmate who works for the new Uber setup there. Wrangled Bay Area pay and is paying less than a grand for a 2BR.

Anyway the context is tech hubs.

Tech is impacting Pittsburgh. Try buying a home in the east end these days.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

this would have been the most realistic trajectory for twitor from the start

nobody uses twitor or facebok because they like the ~brands~ or the ~community~ of the very select and elite (hahaha) users on social media
both are a case of customers being effectively locked in because no alternative has enough of their friends to be worth joining over facebook, or enough dumbass followers to grow numbers and egos, to be worth switching to unless millions of people do so simultaneously. both should get used to basically being a utility that provides a mediocre level of social media everyone takes for granted, with some ads to not run at a hilarious loss

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

http://idlewords.com/talks/web_design_first_100_years.htm

This is my favorite talk about what the Internet could be. Scroll down to the "Cult of Growth" slide. It's exactly this question, and the world would be better if more people thought this way.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trevor Hale posted:

This is my favorite talk about what the Internet could be. Scroll down to the "Cult of Growth" slide. It's exactly this question, and the world would be better if more people thought this way.

This is a pro click, worth reading in its entirety.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Every idlewords presentation is great. This one is my favorite for the image of Barack Obama having to deal with men who are afraid of Clippy.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Trevor Hale posted:

Great article, and really relevant! Just today I saw an idiotic post that claimed that in 10 years we will get commonplace simultaneous translation. A stupid question but do CS majors not study physics or anything like that, because it's bizarre how willing they are to disregard real physical barriers

Here's the reddit post by the way

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/45dzq4/the_language_barrier_is_about_to_fall_within_10/

Edit: That subreddit is pretty much the cult of Elon Musk.

ToxicAcne fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 13, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Trevor Hale posted:

That was a drat fine article and actually hits on a lot of stuff I've been thinking about as well as things I've been bitching about.

I was a CS major. Got the degree and everything. I really like technology but at the same time the practical side of me is scratching its head. Who gives a poo poo of a phone can have 500,000,000 apps? It's like having 250 cable channels. I'd watch maybe four of them. I rarely upgraded my cell phone and most certainly not every year like a ton of people. If it does what I need it to then what else do I need? It's my phone, my note pad, my scheduler, and not much else. I can Google search poo poo if I want to or find something to read if I'm in a situation like being on a train for a few hours and being bored. It serves its purpose and, like that article says, it's Good Enough. It does absolutely everything I need it to so it's unlikely I'll replace it until it breaks.

I saw that attitude with computers a lot as well; I know people with computers that are 10-15 years old because gently caress it, the thing works. It gets on the internet, it sends e-mails, it types letters, it plays solitaire, and that's all the person wants it to do.

ToxicAcne posted:

Great article, and really relevant! Just today I saw an idiotic post that claimed that in 10 years we will get commonplace simultaneous translation. A stupid question but do CS majors not study physics or anything like that, because it's bizarre how willing they are to disregard real physical barriers

Here's the reddit post by the way

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/45dzq4/the_language_barrier_is_about_to_fall_within_10/

No. They tend not to, actually. CS people generally get their science electives done in math. A few study physics but most of them take the basics at most. Which is why you get predictions like that; Moore's Law makes certain things make mathematical sense but not physical sense. It also has to do with problems relating to AI in general. Natural language processing is one of them and the difference between a digital brain and one made of meat is the other.

A meat brain is more like gently caress loads of processors running in parallel, it turns out, and brains are capable of rewiring themselves. Computers are not. Whereas a computer has specific cores you can tell apart a meat brain's "cores" are not clearly separated.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

His other articles are pretty great too.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There needs to be a series about academia from the funny and dumb angle.

What do startups think about Halt and Catch Fire?

Dunno but I think Andreesen said he really liked it.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When you want to be as rich as Microsoft or Apple but don't want to deal with the top heavy bureaucracy that runs it or limited growth options, you get something much more horrible.

ToxicAcne posted:

SpaceX and Tesla are the cult of Elon Musk. Engineers go there to work more, get paid less, and with some vague hope that they're accomplishing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

welcome to capitalism