Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Brannock posted:

What I'm curious about is the knock-on effect all these pending collapses will have on cities like Seattle and San Francisco where the prices are exploding out of control thanks to all the techies concentrating there.

You may find more immediate answers in the PNW or California political threads, but in short you have skyrocketing housing costs, NIMBYs who absolutely refuse to allow for high density development and fighting between "techie" and "art/community/local" social groups.

The real problem of course is NIMBYs, because gently caress those short-sighted, selfish assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Popular Thug Drink posted:

one other small aspect is chauvinism, there's a lot of folks who think that places like omaha or raleigh-durham might as well be a dung-smoked yurt at the end of the earth and frankly i'm fine with those people confining themselves to the most expensive cities

That's pretty easy to say if you're not LGBT or a woman who might need an abortion at some point in their lives. The local and state laws also tend to be much more pro labor than the places you speak of.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

see? chauvinism. not everywhere between the coasts is a hellhole but if that's what you want to believe friend go for it

So you're telling me that Omaha and Raleigh-Durham offer the same or better access to women's healthcare and have better legal infrastructure in place to prevent people from being fired from their jobs simply for being LBGT than San Francisco and Seattle.

And next time don't be so loving lazy in your response.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Quorum posted:

Lots of cities have abortion clinics and dedicated activist groups? These things aren't geographically limited to within twenty miles of New York City, San Francisco, and Seattle, on pain of lynching. For example, here's a map of access to abortion clinics; you'll note that Raleigh-Duram shows up as quite well-supplied:

(Disclaimer, a few of these, especially in Texas, are now closed because Republican control of legislatures sucks donkey balls.)

For a lot of people, a places doesn't have to offer "the same or better" as Seattle or NYC of any given amenity, it just has to provide adequately, while also satisfying whatever other value judgments they care to make. You can acknowledge that large coastal cities have better services in place for marginalized populations without also condemning everywhere else as godless wastelands fit only to be burned in nuclear fire.

So are you allowed to fire people for being LGBT in Omaha or Raleigh-Durham or not? Are you able to easily access an abortion without time delays and invasive inspections or not? Are those clinics well supported by the state/local governments or are they constantly under attack? Having an activist group is one thing, having enforced laws that protect you on a daily basis is quite another.

By the way, I never claimed that other places were "godless wastelands" or whatever the gently caress you're talking about. I only claimed that there is a difference between those places and that difference isn't insignificant depending on personal needs. Sure, I'm not going to have a problem but that's because I'm a white male who likes girls, so no one is making policy trying to prevent me from voting, accessing healthcare or getting married and keeping a job.

i'm sure the LGBT communities of omaha, raleigh-durham, and other red state cities appreciate your support

meanwhile, back in reality, there's lots of reasons for companies to establish branch offices in cities with a lower cost of living and we'll probably see more of that once the market cools off a little bit and some of the shine wears off the bay area

Again, this is loving lazy. Do you just think this poo poo doesn't matter? Ladies, do you care if you're able to access healthcare in an easy and timely manner or is that just not that big of a deal for you?

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 11, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

go3 posted:

what does any of this have to do with the OP

A unicorn isn't going to be successful moving to loving Omaha of all places simply because it's cheaper - their employees expect the same sorts of social protections that they enjoy in current technological hubs. This came up a few years ago when Toyota moved a major facility from California to Texas.

computer parts posted:

The collapse of the tech bubble is going to have lots of people still clustering to those expensive cities because they think flyover states are Mad Max hellholes.

The debate is over whether that belief is accurate.

The only people making the extreme claims of "mad max hellholes" are folks like you, not me. I said it makes a difference, not that they were complete shitholes.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

lol Solkanar, that's a pretty bizarre argument to be making - that bumfuck nowhere areas tend to be better to GLBT people

I really don't understand why reading comprehension is so difficult for so many of you.

Moving on, it seems strange to me that small tech companies who actually make poo poo are getting nailed. Tableau stock went down 50% in the past week or so. What in the hell happened there?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

redscare posted:

Speaking of startups and compliance failures, how about Zenefits!

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/blog/techflash/2016/02/zenefits-scandal-spreads-regulators-hr-tech.html

One of the last things you want to do is sell insurance without a license.

Yeah, my wife mentioned it's $10k per incident in WA and I presume it's similar elsewhere. Nice work!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

You can't help but feel deja vu when you read about things such as people getting booed if they dare ask a startup founder their revenue plan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

This whole series should be required viewing for folks posting in this thread.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 11, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

Probably because it's the equivalent of the Big Bang theory

Dude, it's ok to say that you haven't had a chance to watch it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

I think Seattle's another hub. It never went bubble mode for some reason.

There is most certainly a property bubble in Seattle due to a confluence of Amazon/Facebook/Google and loving NIMBYs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

shrike82 posted:

I'm comparing it with the other major hubs like SF and NYC.

It's right behind SF in terms of insane rises in rent and similar measures. Seriously, wander into the PNW Politics thread if you don't believe me, housing costs are a major, major concern.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't the PNW having the issue where rich people are moving into the city centre to experience the 'artistic and musical culture' of the city, thereby driving up prices and forcing said artists and musicians to move somewhere cheaper?

The conventional wisdom is that it's all techbros from Amazon, but it wouldn't surprise me if the issue were more complicated. My personal scape goat are the NIMBYs that have voted for years against dense development, not the transplants who are just getting to town.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kwyndig posted:

Also it's Chinese which remains the new hotness in VC/speculator realms.

Yeah, but don't they actually make a profit too?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

The fall of unicorns: I can detect an intact hymen at 200 paces.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

redscare posted:

It's almost as if 1960s era labor law enforcement is out of date and needs to be updated to reflect 21st century realities.

I'd have to agree here. I can't wait for those cases in CA to finish up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

They finally figured out where the real money is.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
loving christ, you can't learn anything about my industry in just 2-3 years of working there. I know folks with 30 year pins.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Amazon has just started "Amazon Launchpad" which translates as "Take a product created through a Kickstarter or similar and sell it to a wider public." It's being promoted as "Discover Unique and Unexpected Products from today's brightest startups". The products include gems like Pavlok, a "wearable [i.e. black rubber wristband like all the other ones] that helps break bad habits and reduce cravings using vibration, beep, and a mild electric stimulus" (my daughter: "What about a rubber band on the wrist?"); Sleipnir, a $79 anemometer for your cellphone (husband and daughter: "You can't just wet your finger and stick it in the air?"), and a $99 water bottle that "tracks your hydration throughout the day" (via Bluetooth) but has no handle or carrying loop of any sort. That last is called the Mark One Pryme Vessyl, which sounds like it belongs in either a space vampire LARP or a fourth-rate metal band.

Ah, brave new world.

Anemometers are useful in a lot of different niches - some work sites have to go under special operating procedures if the consistent or gusting wind speeds get above a certain amount. I can also think of several hobbies that benefit from knowing localized wind speeds (stunt kites, boating, model rockets/planes, etc). Sticking your finger in the air won't cut it.

That being said, I'm sure there are less expensive options.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DrNutt posted:

That reminds me of a kickstarted product that keeps popping up on my Facebook feed. It's called the Luup and it's a litter box with three interlocking parts that basically sifts itself so you don't have to scoop. Only...

It already loving exists, it's called a Lift and Sift. So it's a product that you can already walk into a store and buy, with a much less stupid name no less.

I love those sorts of ads on FB, because you can comment on them. I always get the Soylent ads myself, those are lots of fun.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

one other small aspect is chauvinism, there's a lot of folks who think that places like omaha or raleigh-durham might as well be a dung-smoked yurt at the end of the earth and frankly i'm fine with those people confining themselves to the most expensive cities

Remember how folks here were trying to convince us that being critical of LBGT policies in places like North Carolina was nothing more than regional chauvinism?

quote:

Instead, legislators returned to the state house to overrule a local ordinance in Charlotte banning discrimination against LGBT people. A bill written for that purpose passed Wednesday evening and was signed by Governor Pat McCrory, a Republican. In the House, every Republican and 11 Democrats backed the bill. In the Senate, Democrats walked out when a vote was called, resulting in a 32-0 passage by Republicans. The law not only overturns Charlotte’s ban: It also prevents any local governments from passing their own non-discrimination ordinances, mandates that students in the state’s schools use bathrooms corresponding to the gender on their birth certificate, and prevents cities from enacting minimum wages higher than the state’s.

Huh, so I guess these local differences do matter. I love how they threw in the anti-minimum wage bit in there as a nice "we haven't forgotten to gently caress the poor either" measure.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Holyshoot posted:

"Banned LGBT Non-Discrimination Policies"

No it doesn't. It's one specific law, aimed at allowing people to use the bathroom of their choice, by saying they "identify" as the other sex. Unfortunately, kids as expected, abused that, resulting in a huge distraction and set of unforeseen issues, such as sexual harassment.

And no, it doesn't do anything special for minimum-wage laws, it forces ordinances to follow the state laws, and those states have to follow the federal laws. That's just the way it works.

Uh, you completely ignored the text that was included in my post.

quote:

Instead, legislators returned to the state house to overrule a local ordinance in Charlotte banning discrimination against LGBT people. A bill written for that purpose passed Wednesday evening and was signed by Governor Pat McCrory, a Republican. In the House, every Republican and 11 Democrats backed the bill. In the Senate, Democrats walked out when a vote was called, resulting in a 32-0 passage by Republicans. The law not only overturns Charlotte’s ban: :siren: It also prevents any local governments from passing their own non-discrimination ordinances :siren:, mandates that students in the state’s schools use bathrooms corresponding to the gender on their birth certificate, and prevents cities from enacting minimum wages higher than the state’s.

See the bolded part, and how it's actually way more expansive than just dealing with bathrooms? Why did you ignore that, it was sitting right there? Did you bother to read the article at all? That means folks can be fired or evicted for simply being or appearing to be LBGT.

This isn't some bullshit "unforseen issue", it was a bunch of conservative assholes actively being assholes to others using bathrooms to "prove" that there are terrible people in this world. You seemed to miss the fact that if people are being creepy in the bathroom (or anywhere else for that matter) that you can just call the loving police and have them deal with it. Just like any other time "kids" decide to act like complete assholes. But instead you support random strangers policing the genitals of others because they think anyone who is transgendered is "creepy". You whine about "sexual harassment" (which was a crime last time I checked!) yet you completely ignore the sexual harassment that this law enshrines!

Getting back to the actual topic at hand, can you not see how laws and policies like these make states like North Carolina particularly unpleasant for anyone who identifies as LBGT? How moving just anywhere because it's cheaper isn't really an option?

Also, in what world is "preventing cities and municipalities from raising the minimum wage" not considered "doing something special"? It's an explicit way to prevent wage growth for those making the very least, of course it's a giant gently caress you to the poor.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 24, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
EDIT: Sorry AA, I saw your message after I posted. I'm dropping it now.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 25, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Isn't there a huge thread in SA MART that sells discount stream codes just like this?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gail Wynand posted:

I'm pretty sure that all of these are regs that Airbnb doesn't actually object to. What you see instead a lot is cities trying to ban Airbnb entirely or put incredibly onerous restrictions on them.

This sounds like complete bullshit, prove it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wateroverfire posted:

Spending thousands of dollars each to certify home kitchens is probably a non starter. I can't imagine many Josephine cooks generate more than say a couple hundred in revenue for the company in a year.

Installing facilities for home cooks to go cook in might be a business or might not, but is very different from what Josephine wants to do.

Hopefully they can work with the health department to come up with a streamlined inspection process or something. It's a neat idea.

Why should the health department compromise on safety standards just because there's an app maker that wants to make money?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

wateroverfire posted:

Well, there are potentially thousands or even tens of thousands of home cooks who would like to make money by inviting people to eat in their homes, and who make the long margin on that business. So there's that to consider.

But really, the problem is that the law in CA doesn't contemplate small-scale operations that have a different risk profile than full scale commercial kitchens. Why shouldn't the law be ammended to permit safe small-scale production? Josephine is working within the system to try and bring that about.

You still haven't bothered to address the issue of public health.

Would you mind explaining to me why you believe that the ability to make money in this very specific manner should be privileged over protecting consumers from dangerous food-borne illnesses? Illnesses that cause severe pain, loss of organ function, miscarriage and even death?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

I have content, ironically found on Gawker!

http://gawker.com/new-startup-that-sends-dossiers-on-your-private-social-1781576586

They're disrupting credit checks by going way beyond their scope and scouring social media to create a "Personality Score!"

That has to be a huge violation of the TOS for your social media accounts. I'm willing to bet the big hitters like Facebook will lobby to have this poo poo made illegal somehow. Either that, or they lose their users.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tuxedo Gin posted:

No, the big hitters will just charge for access to the data since their entire existence is gathering and selling data about their users.

The big hitters won't like the fact that their users are either reducing their use of social networks to whatever they think is "responsible" or cleaning them out all together. Beyond that, it makes them look bad for no benefit.

I'm not saying this to be dismissive, this poo poo is loving terrible. I'm just pointing out that these folks have done it before - there used to be a site that would record deleted tweet of politicians and Twitter revoked their API key because they felt users wouldn't like that. I see this in a similar light.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

I think the difference there is that Disney just bought the rights to Star Wars, not an entire company with employees and offices and whatnot, as far as I'm aware.

There's no way that the employees and leased office space makes up for the cost difference between these examples.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ShadowHawk posted:

I think Linked In owns their buildings. They're right next to Google, so they gotta be worth something.

Heh, kind of like how Yahoo is only worth money because of the Ali Baba stock they hold?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sbaldrick posted:

LinkedIn has 100 million paying users somehow, which MS is going to spend the next 10 years data mining.

Dell still exists to sell computers to companies, the people that pay for things.

Dell reminds me of BlackBerry, actually. As much of a joke as BB is, I was just handed a new Classic last week and I'm rather impressed with how tightly integrated it is with Outlook and all the phone in meeting software and whatnot.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Aliquid posted:

how would you judge which tech startup to tax? revenues? if so,

Wait wait wait, are folks in this thread actually claiming that there's no way to selectively or preferentially by industry? Ever heard of tv/movie production? Aerospace? This is pretty loving common.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cheese posted:

Some people get very into aspects of personal grooming and beauty. If someone wants that to be their "thing" then I say go for it. You are an idiot if you buy into the PR bullshit about straight razor shaving, but then you are an idiot if you buy into the PR bullshit of any activity.

I can't believe we went this long without someone posting this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk93hTVRpW8

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

I'm willing to pay more to not have to haggle. Why would I possibly want to waste time on that.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet when your employer has an in with a major manufacturer and you get to just buy cars for invoice without any haggling. Even high demand models.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

I'm really surprised that the grocery stores didn't notice something was up, given the amount of trend analysis they perform on purchases.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

the talent deficit posted:

i work at a startup in this market and retailers and vendors (especially vendors) have almost zero ability to do any kind of analysis on trends like this. we have gigantic multinational customers that are amazed we can even aggregate sales by product category or by arbitrary labels. their in house analysis is interns and new grads making $30k and working with garbage excel spreadsheets if they have any in house analysis at all

Wait, so does that mean that somehow Target is unique in their ability to predict future purchases? You know, the whole "sending women coupons for pregnancy related items before most folks would know" thing that came out a few years back?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
This just blows my loving mind - I work for a large older company and at least we have Tableau all over the place. I'm really shocked that even after everyone jerked off to Big Data (tm) porn they still aren't using something more than what's found in a typical MS Office installation.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So if grocery stores absolutely suck at data analysis, what was the whole point of those cards you had to swipe to get better deals on purchases? Wasn't the whole point of those to collect a poo poo ton of data and do something with it, or did they just never follow through?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

blowfish posted:

on the other hand, it hits that sweet spot where middle manager types can understand it just enough to dangerously mess things up without knowing what they're doing.

*right-clicks chart, inserts linear trend line*

"Look at me, I'm doing big data!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ccs posted:

So snapchat released some racist filter that people are up in arms about.

https://medium.com/@katie/im-deleting-snapchat-and-you-should-too-98569b2609e4#.l8rundv32

My reaction to this was that it's a Silicon Valley tech company, so there must be enough Asian-Americans on staff to know this was a bad idea. But checking their list of current and former employees, they seem to be a mostly white people company, with some Indian guys every once in a while.

What the gently caress, they had a blackface filter for 4/20?!