Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Family Values posted:

Instagram Is the Internet’s New Home for Hate

He hopes to “expose the truth about everything corrupt governments and organizations have lied about.” Among those truths: that certain cosmetics and foods contain aborted fetal cells,

Alex Jones fan spotted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NYqdUEfuBQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

luxury handset posted:

'screen time' is just 'couch potato' for a new generation

the far bigger problem is kids who live in a dismal/hostile built environment which discourages going outside, and discourages their parents from being comfortable letting their kids go outside

The greatest trick television news ever pulled was convincing millions that their little baby would be snatched by a child molester if they spent even five minutes alone outside.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Boomers' parents did.

Actually it's even older than that:
https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/participation-trophy-history-world-war-i.html

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 29, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i mean theres also the fact that theres no place for kids to go hang out where they wont get yelled at for being there anymore

My city has a place called the 'Memorial Boys and Girls Club'. It's functionally Peewees Playhouse + a YMCA in one.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Strategic Logo Decision

Ooh, new band name idea

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's like they looked at Steve Jobs' end and said, "That's how I want to go; believing in magic and ignoring clinically proven treatments to preventable ailments."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Feinne posted:

One star, driver attempted medical experiments on me mid-trip before being killed by an alien who assured me I wasn't ready for immortality.

Rest assured, your B5 reference did not go wasted.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Doggles posted:

Sound familiar?
“Their system cannot literally see the broad side of an 18-wheeler on the highway,” Friedman said.

Just how narrow is the FoV on the thing?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

luxury handset posted:

iirc the problem is that the tesla autopilot doesn't use lidar,

Profit at all costs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What the gently caress, are you serious

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

Couldn't... couldn't they use a combinatorial approach?

That's what I was thinking; you make a 3d composite image with the two.

Add in smart learning- object/pattern recognition and such, and the car can start getting a comprehensive idea of what's around it.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 17, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

The Greater Fool Theory in FULL EFFECT:

New Hermeus supersonic aircraft would make NY-London trip in 90 minutes

Aerospace company Hermeus unveiled plans to develop an aircraft that could travel at speeds of up to Mach 5 — cutting travel time from New York to London from seven hours to 90 minutes.

The U.S.-based firm is working on propulsion technology that would allow the jet to fly at speeds of up to 3,800 miles per hour or about three times faster than the now-retired Concorde.

Hermeus announced new funding led by Khosla Ventures that will allow the company to develop a range of technologies to make its futuristic jet a reality.

“Hermeus is developing an aircraft that not only improves the aviation experience with very reduced flight times, but also has the potential to have great societal and economic impact,” Vinod Khosla, founder of Khosla Ventures, said in a statement.

(More like the potential for fools to fund this, I guess Vinod learned NOTHING from Theranos)

Am I wrong, or is this not the first time (or Hell, even the second) the idea of a mach 3+ passenger jet has been floated in the last ten years?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Ever since Concorde was grounded, it has always come up. The real aspect is you can build such a jet for 40 years now. But you will go broke fueling it or you will have just 50 passengers in whole world who can afford to fly on it!

And those fifty people already have their own private jets.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Isn't the real problem that schools cost tax money to run, Boomers haven't had kids of pre-college school age for a good twenty years, and loving lol if their hard earned money is gonna pay for "the education of illegals that will just grow up to be gang bangers"?
Add in the ever popular "We didn't need that expensive stuff when I/my kids went to school, and I/they turned out fine!" personal anecdote too.

And I always hear about education cuts in America, but I have never heard of their budgets being increased.
Can't have school lunches or learning supplies provided by the school boards if there's no money

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 21, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Republicans posted:

Conservatives hate school meals because they think feeding children should be the job of parents and it erodes family structure.

Also that entitlements argument where it encourages people to rely on the government for handouts for every problem instead of bootstrapping.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Can I say that I hate how AI/machine learning is portrayed in news media as a weird monolithic thing with a mind of its own while ever so conviniently erasing the people who create, train and interpret them

It's what the AI that monitors their site traffic and public feedback determined was the best way to talk about it... :tinfoil:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

prisoner of waffles posted:

We don't need no
ventilation

We don't need no
car control

No evac routes
or service access

Elon's tunnels
are a go!

NHTSA, leave Elon alone!
SEC, leave Elon alone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 26, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

MickeyFinn posted:

Fool! Don't you see that you will be conquered in someway by someone if you aren't spending all your time on the tech ladder! There is no alternative, code a fart app or die. Either way, you work for mankind.

Is that groverhaus at 23:01?

The channel owner is a goon, so probably? I never followed the Groverhaus saga, and only know of it because of the old F35 thread.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wouldn't they just be using future helicopters instead? Only plebs would use an elevator to get to their office in 2035. :smugbert:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's not like they'll be fired anyway; ING needed a 150 billion dollar bailout, and their workers still received bonuses.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And people think Ubisoft invented bullshots...

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Doggles posted:

Have you ever wanted to eat out at a restaurant while paying an additional fee to Uber for some reason?

https://twitter.com/Kate_H_Taylor/status/1146140213355458560

So not only can I pay Uber to not deliver me to the place I want to go, I can also pay them to not deliver the food I want to eat!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

luxury handset posted:

actually thinking about it i'm not sure how this uber dine in thing is supposed to work.

quote:

"But with dine-in, you can have a full dining experience inside the restaurant without waiting, which is convenient and fast."

Sounds like they're reinventing the concept of reserving a table and ordering ahead of time
Basically they want to be the middle man; taking a cut from every ride, delivery, table reservation...
Just wait; they'll add groupon/grub hub style discounts. "Uber will deliver savings right to your phone!" etc.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 3, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They want to be Joe Pesci from Lethal Weapon; "Whateva ya need... Leo Getz. Get it?" except it's always through the Uber app.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Taking a cut from every transaction is a viable business model if you can make yourself as convenient as Steam to order rides, food, anime body pillows, etc.

They just need to figure how big a slice they can take before the expense trumps the convenience of using one app to do the work of looking poo poo up for their users.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 3, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fishmech posted:

If you try to use Uber Eats within the Android Uber app, it tells you you need to get a seperate "Uber Eats" app, so it's not even a "you just need one app" thing. The main Android Uber app only handles the car stuff. Considering over half of Americans use Android on their phone, that's a huge segment that definitely can't just use one app.

I wouldn't know, I live in a city with functional mass transit and taxi services. Just substitute "one app" with "Uber ecosystem" then.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Lambert posted:

But even though they try their best to hide it, you can still clearly see there's only half a slice of cheese on that burger.

No joke, I'm kinda sorta tempted to make a fast-food review blog that rates items based on the level of visual disparity between promotional shots, with what is actually received.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

So if a bit is lost the copy will just copy the loss?
Practically, what you're describing is basically any back-up system: periodically you make a copy of the data you want to back up, and in the event of failure you default to the back-up.

You can never have enough copies of Loss.jpg.

Some say it's often harder on the backup system.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Abortion, Retry, Fail?

You want the keyboard shortcut: B^U

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:aaa:

How the gently caress do you not know what scrip is. I mean sure, Canadian Tire money is pretty rare in the States, but come on.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

pairofdimes posted:

I think it's a lot more likely he's just lying about not knowing the name.

You say that, but when Uber thinks reinventing poo poo thats existed for decades like "the bus" is new and disruptive, it makes me genuinely wonder if any of these people were awake for history classes.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 20, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Getaround lets you rent cars peer-to-peer. Lady rents Tesla from Getaround. Lady runs red light, kills one person, injures another. Lady didn't have driver's license. Oops. Bets on whose job it was to verify license?

App lives up to its name then; "No driver's licence? Getaround that!"

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Are you surprised that the industry that reinvented the cellar, editors, scrip, X-of-the-month clubs, transaction fees, and....

There's another one where they reinvented phrenology, but I never saved the tweet.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

is this the same food delivery company from a several weeks ago or a different one?

GrubHub wants more money from the restaurants that have teamed up with it, using activities ranging from increasing fees to creating their own versions of their partners' websites to guarantee commissions.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20321260

From June 28:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/28/19154220/grubhub-seamless-fake-restaurant-domain-names-commission-fees

quote:

Grubhub is using thousands of fake websites to upcharge commission fees from real businesses
They also list phone numbers that don’t belong to the actual business

By Natt Garun@nattgarun Jun 28, 2019, 4:08pm EDT

Grubhub has been buying tens of thousands of domain names that resemble those of businesses they either work with or are pitching to get on the platform, reports New Food Economy. Those domains, of which Grubhub owns as many as 23,000, are used to resemble a landing page for the official business, complete with an online ordering form, despite the sites being completely unassociated with the restaurants themselves.

Restaurant owners are calling the practice predatorial, noting that Grubhub is leading customers to believe they’re ordering directly from restaurants to help businesses avoid paying fees to Grubhub. The online ordering giant, the largest in the country, is the parent company of multiple food delivery services, including Eat24, MenuPages, and Seamless. However, its spot as the top of the delivery market is being threatened by competing services like DoorDash and Uber Eats.

The Grubhub-owned domains use a template that is consistent across all the shadow sites. They feature items from the restaurant’s actual menu, and sometimes the sites use photos taken from either the restaurant’s official webpage or from competing delivery services. I’m intimately familiar with the tactic because — and here’s the big disclosure — my parents own a restaurant in Queens, New York and they are currently listed on both Seamless / Grubhub and Caviar. They also have an official restaurant site.

However, an alternative website with a similar-sounding URL (.com versus .net) set up by Grubhub without their expressed permission uses the restaurant’s original logo and food photos taken by a photographer from Caviar. The site also includes multiple “Order Now” links that lead to the Seamless listing and a phone number unassociated with the restaurant’s official business number.

https://twitter.com/nattgarun/statu...commission-fees

Grubhub charges anywhere from a 3 to 15 percent commission fee depending on whether a restaurant provides their own delivery fleet. However, if a customer orders from a restaurant using Grubhub’s “marketing” tactics, whether through an app search or these unassociated websites, Grubhub can bill for an additional 20 percent commission on a single order. These fees also extend to phone orders, which Grubhub was sued over after a lawsuit alleged the company was charging commission for bogus phone calls that did not directly result in an order.

https://twitter.com/aurabogado/stat...commission-fees

Grubhub denies wrongdoing, noting that this practice is intended to help boost restaurant orders. "Grubhub has never cybersquatted, which is identified by ICANN as 'generally bad faith registration of another person’s trademark in a domain name,'" the company said in a statement. "As a service to our restaurants, we have created microsites for them as another source of orders and to increase their online brand presence. Additionally, we have registered domains on their behalf, consistent with our restaurant contracts. We no longer provide that service and it has always been our practice to transfer the domain to the restaurant as soon as they request it."

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 7, 2019

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It's not their money, it's the investors'; as long as their checks keep getting cashed, they'll keep shoveling more coal in.
The worst that can happen to management is being replaced and receiving a golden parachute.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

"Human empathy for others has less effect if you practice!" :devil:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, it's less about letting the victims down nicely, and more about dulling the emotional impact of layoffs on management by making them feel formulaic and routine, by gamifying the process.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

#CantSilenceUs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Bigger Fool ™ theory is a valid business model!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sundae posted:

91 days x 24 hours = 2,184 hours. $5,200,000,000 divided by 2,184 hours = $2,380,952.38 per hour.

Imagine if instead of hours, those were households. Imagine if billionaires were just handing out 2.4 million to a different family/person every hour.

Imagine if TARP had given a quarter of that amount to every household facing eviction.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 16, 2019