Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jose Valasquez posted:

The guy had it in car wash mode and the car wash still hosed up his truck and tesla voided his warranty over it. People aren't hating on Tesla because of Elon Musk, people hate Musk for the things he and his companies are doing

Por que no los dos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yes, it's bosses, not employees. There's always the lingering thought of "If I don't respond tonight, will that come back to bite me come review time? Will this affect my raise?" You can blame it on a company's culture in general, sure, but in this instance it comes from the top.

I and, from talking with people, many of my coworkers, friends, and family have already long since given up on that as any sort of motivating factor when it comes to our day to day labor. It simply does not make sense as a motivating factor. You don't get good raises from staying at one company. You make money jumping jobs. That's why the managerial class loving hate it so much and try to convince people to not do it, except they also won't stop rewarding it because they also want to "steal" labor from competitors. Year on year raises at basically forever capped at 2-5%, no matter the industry, and anything more than that is treated like having to figure out a way to create world peace and requires every world leader to sign off on it. But leaving a job? Easy 25%+. I managed to get back to back 100%+ raises over the course of 5 years. Why the gently caress would I bother caring about a yearly raise that's playing by Calvinball rules? I'll just leave for a competitor and get at least 25% or more, easily making up for the last couple of years worth of lovely raises.

And that's all separate from "bonuses" which require insane amounts of effort for less than zero guarantee of any sort of pay out. Our company has a bonus calculation system that is more arcane, complicated, and gives us less personal agency in the result than loving Las Vegas slot machines or WoW Raid loot tables. Yet, they'll act like the hypothetical "target bonus" they gave me is some amazing piece of compensation that I should be drooling over. There are like 4 percentage checks, after the 50:50 coin flip of "does the board even want to give a bonus". None of which I have any actual control over since the "personal performance" rating is capped across the whole company above a 3/5 rating.

In the end the calculus breaks down to this: How much harder would you work over the course of a day for an extra $17? Or $2 over the course of an hour? And that's not just saying "do something a little quicker", it means "Would you not go home till 12am for $17?". Would you give up your weekend for $17? Would you skip a family or friend's or child's birthday for $17? Would you do that every day for a whole year only to end up with nothing because of a coin flip? gently caress no.

No one is fooled anymore. The starting point is "We will not give you money if we can find a way to justify it", and they can use any reason or no reason to justify it. So why the gently caress would or could it be a motivational factor?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Keep in mind that taking a counter-offer like this is risky. Your job may not be able to replace you now, but by doing something like this, you're letting them know that they can't necessarily count on having you around long-term, and that they should start preparing to be able to replace you, just in case (a lot of people who take counter-offers still end up quitting within a year or two anyway, realizing that they were dissatisfied about more than just the pay).

And in the US, where an employer can fire you at any time for any reason, the combination of "forcing the company to give you a big unplanned salary increase" and "forcing the company to make sure they're ready to replace you" tends not to be good for your job security.

This behavior is exactly what leads to "it's better to just bounce". Asking for a raise, bringing up a counter offer, even bringing up a desire to transition to a different type of work within the same company, just puts a target on your back. Some places can be great for helping employees grow into new areas of expertise, but that's simply them recognizing that they can spin it as retention and saving on recruiting my developing internally. But: They don't want you to stop doing the job you were in, most places I've been where they allow this kind of career expansion still expect you to do your original job description, you're just taking on more work, because they don't want to hire a replacement.

The only reason to take Mourning Due's advice (no offense) is to pad your bottom line when looking for a new job anyway. Get the offer, get a counter offer that exceeds the original offer, turn back around and re-interview with a higher minimum salary requirement. Or just directly go back to the people who gave you the original offer and use the counter offer for more money there.