Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I know the answer will be the founders blowing money on themselves at an amazing rate but what in the hell could Uber waste that much money on? They don't supply their drivers with anything so what are they dropping near a billion dollars on? Do car mustaches just cost that much?

Lawyers and overpaying drivers/under charging customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

blah_blah posted:

I think that if they stopped focusing on hypergrowth they probably do have a sustainable business model and enough network effects at this point to be profitable. But in the meantime it's nice to get all my transportation subsidized by VCs.

lol no.

Uber loses money/breaks even on most of its fares. They do this because they have the cash to burn, it makes them look good, and it sucks drivers in.
Once the VC stops flowing, Uber will disappear in a flurry of lawsuits.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Quite frankly any effort to privatize the internet and intellectual property, such as cracking down on pirating of movies and music, have failed miserably.

It has been getting harder and harder to get copyrighted materials for free, and items like games and music and video have gotten cheaper and easier to purchase.
I stole just about everything I could back in 2003ish, because it was easy and getting mp3's legally was impossible. Games were incredibly expensive. Nowadays, it's just easier to watch Netflix or just buy that game on massive sale.
I guarantee that piracy is decreasing because of the ease of accessing media is up, the cost is down, and the difficulty of theft is constantly increasing.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

FWIW the 3 year minimum experience for every entry level position is often not true at all and shouldn't discourage you from applying to a company.

Exactly. If you are fully qualified for a job, you will be bored. If in the long list of qualifications you are at least 50% of the way there, you should be fine.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Aliquid posted:

Somewhat related to the current discussion: is Google getting too big?

Other companies have such a narrow focus and strategy, even companies of similar size. I can't see Google/Alphabet being coherent across its entire company, and I don't understand the long-term strategy of cars, Nest, search, browser, OS, service provider, biotech and venture capital.

Google's strategy is the same as it has been the last 10 years: make money on ads, waste it on random 'cool' companies.