Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope this leads to the utter collapse of the sharing economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if there's one thing to be said for Uber it at least forced the archaic taxi systems in the cities to try and step up their game.

NYC yellow cabs now have their own app called Arro that hails and pays for them, and I'm sure other cities are working on their own competitors

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Freezer posted:

Oh, definitely. There had not been much hurry to innovate in the world of taxis before and I'm glad uber stirred poo poo up. This is especially true in some of the more entrenched markets outside the US.

Huh, that's an interesting point, I can only imagine what the reaction of the London cabbies was/is to Uber

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Speaking of jet.com, how is that place doing?

It turns out Amazon is still a pretty good place to buy stuff

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

shrike82 posted:

Probably because it's the equivalent of the Big Bang theory

BBT is pretty much a bunch of caricatures while Silicon Valley hits way closer to home

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

If I remember correctly Silicon Valley had a hell of a time fleshing out a startup hhackathon/accelerator/meetup whatever because nearly every stupid idea and name they could think of was already an actual startup.

It's like doing a parody of the current Republican Primary; it's almost impossible because all of the most insane things you can think of have already been said

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pitt has a surprisingly decent tech community around Carnegie Mellon

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Isn't the PNW having the issue where rich people are moving into the city centre to experience the 'artistic and musical culture' of the city, thereby driving up prices and forcing said artists and musicians to move somewhere cheaper?

We like to call this phenomenon "gentrification"

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lmfao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

That's how I feel about paid music services like spotify and google play. I could freely download whatever songs I want without much difficulty, but it's worth the fee to not ever have to bother with that and just have everything I want to listen to available at any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

FWIW the 3 year minimum experience for every entry level position is often not true at all and shouldn't discourage you from applying to a company.