Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Square is what lets small vendors (craft fairs, bubble tea shops, like that) offer credit-card services (A) by wi-fi or cellphone (B) without a large investment in hardware.

Square probably has a safe space for a while; chip and pin is a goddamn clusterfuck right now. If you're a local auto shop, electrician, etc. it's probably a million times easier to buy an iPad and use it as a mobile WiFi hotspot with one of their readers than it is to handle personal checks. I'd love to tinker with one of their systems out of curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I've been seeing more and more installs of some iPad-based POS install in various mom-and-pop stores in response to EMV that I'm pretty sure isn't Square (it has some plastic hood you can place over the iPad for privacy when entering your PIN, in case someone can better identify it), so I'm not sure how stable Square's base really is in the long run.

I'd be interested if there are any publicly available market studies on them; my gut feeling is that the customer base for those sorts of setups is growing because of how new the NFC / e-wallet stuff is, so whether or not Square has majority share or not I'd expect them to do fine for a few years. Once it becomes prevalent and the number of companies that could use those systems hits saturation, then it gets interesting in terms of cost / integration with other software / reliability. Long run is harder to predict; if the economy hits small businesses hard in a downturn they might decide their current payment process is good enough to carry forward for another 3-5 years instead of upgrading.