Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Northern California will always be valuable real estate over our lifespans because of its Mediterranean climate.

Greece also has a Mediterranean climate. I don't think that has that much of an effect on real estate prices to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Harik posted:

Counterpoint: Laptops, a long-standing product that's become well known for being assembled piecewise by the consumer.

In fact pretty much anything where small size is at all a consideration isn't going to be built out of standardised form factor parts like a PC is. PCs can be bulky as hell and full of empty space and noone cares, that's why discrete motherboards and graphics cards and psus and so on can be a thing.

(I guess Project Ara is a longshot but I don't rate its chances)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Reading this thread as someone who graduated with a non-tech degree in 2007 makes me want to jump off a bridge. Hearing people toss out figures like 80,000-200,000 as no big deal is extremely disheartening. Someone talk me down, please. :smith:

Its all going on rent.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

You people really need to stop talking about literally the biggest, most desirable tech companies in the world as if they're representative of anything. Even SV pay scales aren't representative of the industry as a whole. $60k/year is pretty close to the nationwide median salary for software developers so, no, companies don't "universally" pay their interns that much.

Yeah, this. I made $65k as a mid-career programmer in Michigan. All the world is not Silicon Valley.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

duz posted:

We mainly use it to make sure they didn't lie about knowing C since so many people think C is the same as C++, C# or even Java.

But from the point of view of writing fizzbuzz they basically are? Same logical operators, after all, so unless they literally can't conceive of a function that's not in a class or I guess if they don't know about printf it'll work about the same way.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My plan is to write fizzbuzz in the language I invented and wrote a compiler for myself :smuggo:

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 30, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Radbot posted:

I don't know much about programming, but why not use if(i%3 == 0 && i%5 == 0)? It may not be hyperoptimized, but it's also very clear about what it's doing - and in my limited experience, a LOT of projects benefit from being easily maintainable far more than being a nanosecond faster.

This is literally whats expected yes, congrats you are better than a ton of job applicants.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

axeil posted:

What the hell do job applicants say then?

They give you a blank look and panic.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

axeil posted:

How the hell are they getting to the interview stage then? This isn't a hard problem, you can pass it by just doing some vague description using modular arithmetic. This seems insane :psyduck:

Which is why it tends to be used as a pre-in-person-interview filter, or right at the start...

Its 'bro do you even know how to code' and you would be surprised how many CS grads just can't.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Slightly off topic, but can I ask why folks prefer to use a modulo here, rather than division?

Wouldn't something like

code:
for (i = 0; i <=100; i++) {
    console.log(i);
}
if (i / 3 === 0) {
    console.log("Fizz")
}

etc. etc.
work just as well? I'm still quite the novice when it comes to programming, so I'd like to understand the mindset better.

Integer division truncates. Floating point is imprecise so '==0' is not guaranteed to be true when you think it should be, and historically its also slower.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

cheese posted:

This must be what it was like living in 1930's appeasement Europe or the Antebellum south.

More like late 90s Silicon Valley, really. poo poo was this silly back then too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

e_angst posted:

They've already decided they are going to the legislator next. Of course, the legislator doesn't meet again until January 2017, and the earliest any law they pass will only go into effect is January 1, 2018. Or, given Uber's current burn rate, around $1.25 billion in the future.

I assume you mean the legislature, right? Like, it's not just one dude :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PT6A posted:

Maybe I'm biased because I have a job that allows me to work from practically anywhere, so I take longer vacations than most people

Yes, maybe it's this. Most people in America get few enough vacation days that they literally can't take an entire month off even if they don't use any of them for anyone else. So, a month about does it. Of course the calculus changes if you can bugger off wherever for two months whenever you feel like it, but that is pretty drat exceptional so maybe we shouldn't decide what's a rational national policy based on your personal conditions?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hughlander posted:

So what your saying is a Ceo has an average workweek of 35 hours. Since my travel, exercise, and personal appointments don't count in my 40 hour week usually.

Yeah no poo poo. Travel I can see if it's required for work purposes - not so much 'morning commute' as 'fly to Belgium for a business meeting' - but exercise? How is that work?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

a foolish pianist posted:

From working with some former mobile game devs, I can tell you that the mobile game company hires a bunch of people to make the game, the people make the game, and then the company fires all but the absolute minimum required to keep the game running.

High turnover/layoffs immediately after shipping are pretty common in non-mobile games development too (also studios going bust/getting shut down on the reg).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

This is pretty dumb, though? The consumer-grade playground equipment you buy is safe, just not as durable as the things made for actual playgrounds and smaller scale because it's not intended to accomodate a dozen kids at once.

When stuff is not as durable as it is intended to be for a given environment, it tends to break. If it breaks while a kid's playing on it, because it was designed for occasional use by one kid and now there's dozens playing on it all the time, that can be unsafe.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

nm posted:

Not really. There were a fair number of search engines that sorta kinda did what google did, just very poorly.

Also gopher! If you werent around for the 90s Internet maybe be a bit cautious before spouting off about it itt :shobon: Early Google was cool (no ads!) but it wasn't some revelation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

they kind of are - google and apple pay top dollar for talent, even if they do engage in price fixing

This is the definition of 'not paying top dollar' you realise.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Myspace had not even introduced statuses in 2006 and photo uploads were still intended just for the profile picture and the whole thing was basically just an HTML webpage host that had a blog feature and a single unthreaded message board per user. You can see how it'd eventually evolve towards a more modern conception of a social network but saying it was basically the same thing as we have now is just make believe.

Dude, I have to assume you're like 25 or something because there just isn't this huge gulf between the internet 10 years ago and now. Social networking is nice and all but it's not emblamatic of some cataclysmic social shift like we were all living in caves and hitting each other with rocks before Facebook made it big. I had a 'social network' back in the 90s that operated via mailing list and Usenet and it functioned much the same way as my social network does today.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i too love firewire

Firewire was a legit good technology and I'm sad it didn't take off.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

Don't your stores generally close pretty early and open late in the UK too? It's not uncommon for an American supermarket to open at 6 am and stay open til at least 11 pm every day of the week. And then there's plenty of stores open 24/7.

Depends on the store, but 7am to 11pm is pretty typical for a supermarket (or open 24 hours for larger ones), except Sundays where they tend to be open something like 10am to 4pm because of Sunday trading laws.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

call to action posted:

Handheld scanners will never really catch on because they drop per-customer average sales. Turns out people don't buy as much when they can see a running total of how much money they're wasting before they're committed to the checkout line.

They're commonplace in the UK.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

The one place i've found self checkouts to be really unworkable is places like B&Q (Home Depot equivalent for Americans). The fact that the scales need to both determine the weight for 5 empty plastic plants pots and a giant bag of mortar at the same time mean they freak out about every item. I never use them anymore since it takes twice as long than just queuing at the checkout.

The obvious solution would be two scales, one for small stuff one for big stuff.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

I can't speak for google or Amazon, but we have legit offices in other countries and let employees move between them if it's feasible and we can accommodate it.

Isn't that what the L1 visa is for? The H1B is for US companies who do not have offices in other countries to hire people from those countries if there's no one in the US who can what those particular people do. Intra-corporate moves are a different category. L1 visa holders' spouses can also get a visa that allows them to work, btw.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 2, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

On a lighter note:

https://twitter.com/npr/status/841708655934226432

I'm torn on this.

On one hand, gently caress the "internet of things." It's pretty clear at this point that all household IoT products are just gussied-up surveillance devices and are for the most part completely unnecessary.

On the other hand, what were these people expecting? Anyone interested in an app-driven remote controlled dildo should have had a reasonable suspicion that their privacy could be at risk.

I see what you did there :quagmire:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

At least they practiced safe sex? :shobon:

I'm trying to imagine how I'd react to talking to a guy and he's all like 'hey why don't you come over to the office so we can bang in the company fuckroom on my lunchbreak'. I wonder how often they change the sheets.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

...I'm trying to get a job at Yahoo. Hopefully they'll have one more next year.

That's an interesting choice (and may even have people raising their eyebrows at your resume once you move on from Yahoo, to be honest).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kobayashi posted:

Booster, an App For Rich People Who Don't Want to Pump Their Own Goddamn Gas, Raises $20 Million

http://gizmodo.com/booster-an-app-for-rich-people-who-dont-want-to-pump-t-1797453868

Just move to NJ?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

curufinor posted:

uh is that a point for unionization tho
lotta racist fucks in unions back in the day, that doesn't mean that they aren't good, it just means we should do, like, german-style unions or some poo poo

I have bad news about 50s era Germans (let alone 30s), or indeed 50s era anywhere in the entire developed world.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Irradiation posted:

I dont want to defend this guy but this is the correct thing to do. Too many undergrads are just trying to get in a lab so they can toss it on their resume and PIs have wised up to this. Now (good) professors will start asking about what your scientific contributions were to the group you worked for if you're interviewing for a graduate spot.

Lab chores are everyone's responsibility not just some undergrads.

He literally said he didn't want to do /any/ chores though. That's different to 'don't make me just do chores'.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

From all I hear, programming anything tends to be a super lovely workplace with everything wrong with other industries turned up to 11 and very poor oversight, wouldn't be surprised if endemic sexism is another aspect of that. Companies want young, compliant, fresh-faced nerds with no personal lives they can burn out and discard for the next generation. Even the biggest tech companies often have horrible internal culture. (Microsoft is apparently still completely hosed from stack ranking's legacy)

And of course it's especially bad in 'startups' that are expected to be 'innovative' and 'disruptive', and thus not obliged to follow rules or common sense. Especially when they can present a vaguely 'progressive' trendy front contrasting stodgy grumpy men in suits.

I've been a programmer for 20 years and ive generally enjoyed it? I can't speak to sexism either I guess but you are seriously reaching here in the general case.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

boner confessor posted:

and i think that's a great thing! i'm just saying there's royal families and other noble dynasties that go back centuries or millennia and, even though capitalism as we recognize it is only a few hundred years old, it's my opinion that business dynasties tend to flame out and collapse much quicker

Royal families change more often than you might think actually. There's a reason the Plantagenets, Tudors and Stuarts have different last names.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e:f,b AGAIN.

Youre welcome! :sun:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fishmech posted:

Sure is interesting how all of the people who say "I haven't had major problems in programming" also say "I can't speak to sexism".

Did any of you saying that poo poo even stop to think why that matters?

The original statement, by a non programmer, was that programming uniquely sucked in all ways, including but not limited to sexism. When it comes to the parts I can speak to from my own experience, I can say this is untrue.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

boner confessor posted:

my point is that even the oldest lived business dynasties have more or less collapsed much faster than royal dynasties but this derail is getting less lighthearted and amusing

Our point is that a century or so is actually equally good going for either, historically speaking.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

boner confessor posted:

not at all, you really only need a phd if you plan on going into academia in some form or shooting for the highest echelons of your career, but you can do that at age 25 or age 45. academic credentials don't really matter once you've got work experience. a masters is a great ticket to a career in programming

...a career which he just shot dead for being a stubborn dumbass. it doesn't matter what kind of credentials or experience you have if you have "WALKING LAWSUIT" branded on your resume

I'm not sure a non-CS Masters gives him that much over a BA tbh, and even that doesn't matter after getting your first job. Til you publicly gently caress it up ofc.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Star Man posted:

I bet they hire someone and it turns out that they've overestimated how much money they have and can only pay minimum wage with the promise that they'll cover back pay as soon as they can. Then it turns out that they've completely run out of money after a month, but try to get their new PA to stay for free and let her live in their living room rent free by trying to pass it off like a communal studio apartment.

60k in San Francisco /is/ minimum wage isn't it?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

They're not expecting everyone to be a software developer, but more and more even stuff like Excel requires a bit of knowledge of programming logic to get the most out of.

I'm not sure I buy that, to be honest. Visual Basic for Applications, i.e. scripting for Excel, has been around for a quarter of a century now and it wasn't a novel idea then. It's not new. If you're saying people are having to script spreadsheets etc more than they did in the 90s, I think you're going to have to provide some evidence.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Heh heh. I once worked for a company, Rogue Wave, whose gimmick was that their C++ packages would run on every single compiler. The install process was amazing, because they didn't check for compile versionr, they checked for features. Substantial installation wait, while it printed out messages like "Checking if long long is actually > long" (it's been a decade, I have a bad case of CRS) until at the bottom it decided what your compiler could actually do and started generating binaries. Their source was macro-laden as gently caress for obvious reasons.

You've just described GNU autotools? This is fairly standard in the UNIX world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This was in 1996 or so, give or take, and they sold class libraries. A threads package, a string package, a numeric function package, and like that. Founded in 1989, before you could get case-hardened class libraries from GNU or anywhere else. Until, of course, it wasn't before that.

Yeah uh autotools go back to the early 80s dude. It's probably literally what they used for their build system. Like I say, absolutely standard for cross-(Unix)-platform software at the time, still common today. Most open source packages, if you build from source, still do this today.