Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Uber is in deep poo poo. They're big enough that they'll survive, but between this lawsuit and the criminal investigation over Greyball they're going to have a bad year or two. Or more.
They are hemorrhaging money so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They will pick some random Uber driver from New Jersey

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Is there any Silicon Valley CEO who is NOT a libertarian rear end in a top hat at this point?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's almost like running a company that profits off of breaking local laws/screwing its workers and is constantly in major court/legislative battles is going to always hemorrhage money!

I just don't see how they are profitable long term.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A Chinese umbrella sharing startup has basically gone bust because virtually their entire inventory of 300,000 umbrellas were taken and not given back over a span of about 4 weeks.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/884449145318027264

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The NYT reported in March that due to toilet paper theft at a popular tourist site in China, they installed $1,000 machines that use facial recognition scanners to dispense paper because otherwise it was always stolen. They also mention that I guess over there toilet paper is not provided in public restrooms due to common theft.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sounds like they are mostly desperate for more money, since as we all know they are hemorrhaging cash badly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cicero posted:

Glass is back in an environment where it's actually useful: https://www.wired.com/story/google-glass-2-is-here/
That seems like a much better use than as a consumer product.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

cowofwar posted:

My latest Amazon order is shipping by Amazon Logistics. Looks like an uber-like gig economy set-up for last mile delivery. https://logistics.amazon.com/
Yeah I'm starting to see this more with my orders. Had a knock on my door a few weeks ago and I looked out to see one of these people who do the delivery taking a picture of the package on my porch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Whole Foods has started cutting prices today now that they are officially under the Amazon umbrella.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Uber lost its license to operate in London

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/...WT.nav=top-news

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/verge/status/923142174904127488

I can’t possibly imagine how this could go wrong

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As others have mentioned, this could easily be exploited by hackers or even law enforcement that can’t get a warrant otherwise

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I saw something about Best Buy selling a version of the new iPhone for $1200 or something. I'm pretty sure Tim Cook could literally take a poo poo on stage and people would preorder it at this point.
I believe I read that iPhone 8 sales were not great

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So granted I don’t know much about cryptocurrencies, but is Bitcoin just being propped up by Silicon Valley VC’s?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks for the clarification

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

So did nobody who invested in Theranos actually do their due diligence and find out that the science was bullshit? Like that's what surprises me the most about it, aside from the continued support and faith in it.
The founder had connections to rich people who helped her make the company look legit and a good investment

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So much for the $3 billion demand

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

archangelwar posted:

The premium alone for corporate liability insurance willing to accept the near limitless downside risk associated with a concept guaranteed to pioneer an entire new class of regulatory statutes would have to be absolutely staggering. The idea that Uber just flips a switch to stop paying drivers resulting in free quadruple revenue rather than a complete restructuring of its entire business is a whole new class of infantile naivety that would make the Juicero guy blush with envy. I am glad this is now considered "disruptive thought leadership" because regression is the new progression.
This is the company that pretty brazenly ignores laws.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TheFluff posted:

The Internet Was A Mistake, featuring Rich “Lowtax” Kyanka, Richard Stallman, et al
I loved how they went to print with Lowtax making a Las Vegas shooter joke

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

double nine posted:

the hindenberg of cars, then.
I would say ‘OH, THE HUMANITY!’ but I have still not seen compelling evidence that Musk isn’t an android

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nonathlon posted:

Just finished reading "Bad Blood" by John Carryou about everyone's favourite biomedical unicorn, Theranos.

It has rough patches (the editing is poor, with some repeated facts and seemingly missing sentences, and some of background or colour seems little more than gossip) but I was riveted and finished the book in 2 sittings. Some takeaways:

* Theranos was rotten from the beginning
* It's crazy how easy it was for them to fob off investors, avoid compliance and transparently lie. A large part of it comes down to whale investors not wanted to look too closely.
* It's also crazy how the story very nearly didn't break. Theranos was dirty vicious in using lawyers and legal threats to keep people quiet and were it not for some very brave whistleblowers, dedicated journalism and just plain luck, the whole saga could still be going.
If you get big name people behind you like they did, it makes a scam a lot easier

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

withak posted:

People who identify as independent agree with Republicans but don't want the social stigma of saying they are Republican.
That's generally the case, which is why when I hear talking heads during election years saying 'well, the Dems need to do this thing to get independent voters onboard' I basically just want to shout 'No, you idiots, those are just embarrassed Republicans'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

A few more reasons why Musk is a wasteman-

https://twitter.com/AlexCKaufman/status/1019349620193988609

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The cult of personality around Musk even after the year he's had is pretty amazing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Theranos is basically the modern equivalent of that episode of The Dollop podcast where some conman kept selling wooden boxes to people claiming they were super advanced counterfeiting machines that could print fake money that would fool the authorities.

Except imagine if that guy got billions in VC money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay, here's the Guardian.

"Not a regular smoker" is easily as credible as "I only read it for the interviews" used to be.
$420 a share :newt:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Major US designer/importer of server boards include remote-control chips installed at request of Chinese intelligence Companies that use(d) Super Micro Computers' boards include Apple, for their cloud, and Amazon's AWS.
So China basically copied what US intelligence was doing with routers and other electronic devices according to the Snowden leaks

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think the US is doing poo poo with underwater cable taps, too? I'm not so much interested in THE CHINESE ARE BAAAD as in the technological feat.
Yes I think that was also in the Snowden stuff

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Chinese researchers may be in the process of birthing the first genetically altered babies, primarily to eliminate a gene that can make people susceptible to HIV infection.

https://twitter.com/antonioregalado/status/1066847809528320000

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

As the article mentions, the whole thing is more than a bit insane because we can prevent all of those illnesses with current science far cheaper than making designer babies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

The Musk tunnel looks like a bad GTA3 screenshot
I’m pretty sure Musk is a GTA villain IRL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

luxury handset posted:

the thing that bugs me overall about the tunnel is that it's like, musk didn't complete or even attempt a basic literature review. that or the project was so badly managed that what they managed to produce and unveil in a big press event is the worlds most expensive hot wheels track. it's utterly childish and for someone who describes themselves as a visionary musk has just reinvented 1960's era technology at best

and then for people who are all like "at least he's trying something" musk isn't a toddler, he doesn't deserve praise for making GBS threads near the toilet, he's a grown man who founded a company to do something new and he has completely wasted the city of los angeles' time by asking them for a dig permit. in order for this to be called a prototype they'd have to start again and do everything completely differently because the only product they've made here is a spectacular example of how to waste tens of millions of dollars recreating a bad implementation of systems that have already been running for decades
Also ‘I built a tunnel that just has regular cars in it’ is a giant waste of everyone’s time. It’s not even close to what he was originally talking about doing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

And again, even his original plan would still have been less efficient than a subway, something that has existed for more than a century

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vice caught a company selling cell phone tracking data to basically anyone who wanted it

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1082685714066796544?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

luxury handset posted:

he's talking about social promises like how george jetson's job is to push one button once a day, or that famous buckminster fuller quote
He’s absolutely right

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think that one quote about energy assumed there would be more nuclear plants

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

enki42 posted:

normal brain: forcing all your employees (sorry, "contractors") to resolve disputes using arbitration
galaxy brain: force them to use your chosen arbitrator
universe brain: never actually pay the fees to said arbitrator to hear the cases

Forced into arbitration, 12,500 drivers claim Uber won’t pay fees to launch cases
Oh my god. That is certainly a new one. Even better because courts keep upholding arbitration for dumb poo poo since we live in some lame dystopia.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Somewhat amusing - it costs Uber $1,500 to start each case. The lawyers representing drivers are essentially spamming them with as many cases as possible to hit them with the $1,500 fee as many times as possible, and then seem to be planning to use Uber's unwillingness to pay to relitigate the initial case.
They should because binding arbitration is total bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

pentyne posted:

That, like non-complete clauses are those things that courts in some places are starting to strike down on principle but companies still add top contracts expecting people to be too desperate to contest.
The problem is that it’s in everything now, so getting it completely removed would take a very broad ruling by a court