Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mister Facetious posted:

A friend of mine I wouldn't normally consider as cynical as I am says it's a ploy to get free overtime from their workers and/or rent-seek a bailout from the Government of the United States of America (insert "you're either with us or Putin!" rhetoric here). :911:

The article says he demanded people come back and work over the holiday weekend, so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Archonex posted:

NFT's are just Pokemon/MTG cards for people that have way too much money and too little sense.

Good post.

It reminded me of a guy I know who wants to leave a decent salaried office job and his plan is to get into Bitcoin/NFT. loving delusional.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm a daily cyclist and I see drivers using their phones while driving every day.

Also in December I got t-boned (in my car, luckily) by a red light runner who I would bet was looking at their phone.

I used to drive a motorcycle until someone turned left in front of me, causing me to T-Bone them. The driver was using a laptop resting in the passenger seat.

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 27, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

Here's the thing: cellphones have been around for a fair few years at this point, so it's very unlikely that they were responsible for a sudden massive spike that started in 2020.

There's plenty of people studying the use of cellphones and their impact on distracted driving, but that's a longer-term trend that didn't start the year COVID came around.

I was one of the first to do research in this area in 2001, comparing handheld to handsfree. It's nothing new.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Don't forget the $400 safety vest that won't activate if you don't also pay a monthly subscription:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/this-motorcycle-airbag-vest-would-stop-working-if-you-dont-pay-a-subscription/ar-BB1gtSxh

Turning EVERYTHING into a subscription service is the biggest tech scam.

efb

Scam as a Service

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

As things get worse the ofference of suicide will get more prevalent. You'll just be able to buy kill yourself pills OTC because bezoz and the likes benefit from humans Killing themselves more frequently.

A dead person can't subscribe and save though?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Speaking of tech nightmares, the SA DDos attack from yesterday they think it was this guy who was trying to sue the forums for probating and banning him

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3999483&perpage=40&pagenumber=15#pti22

According to the banner, there is another DDos attack happening right now.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

Everyone loves my posting. This place is great!

You're so right about this, and all other things you post about. Love 2 read ye posts!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Blindsight, if you dig that look into his other stuff, which tends to go a little off in the weeds, but Blindsight is imho him at his best. My favorite genre of literature is weird old combloc sci-fi though. Watts has said explicitly that he set it in the near future and built the world based on present trends and models, which isn't to say he doesn't take some BIG creative liberties

Also this. It ain't Ministry for the Future or anything, though not as bad as McCarthy

I found Ministry for the Future incredibly optimistic, tbh, once you get past the first 25%. Unless that's what you're also saying, I can't really tell.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

TACD posted:

https://twitter.com/PunishedHavoc/status/1542121503432626176

I really hope this is fake, what the gently caress lol
This is the guy who squatted onto the jar, innit?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Billy Gnosis posted:

Blueberry Muffin
Blueberry Muffin
BLUEBERRY muffin
Blueberry Muffin
BLUEBERRY MUFFIN

That's some great semantic satiation right there

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

How would it protect anyone?

Hypothetically, it's now more difficult to remotely case a property to plan an attack. Any future modifications to the property will not be known by anyone using historic imagery to plan an attack.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Just gotta watch enough Not Just Bikes to counterbalance

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Textbooks are back: in NFT form!

You wouldn't RIGHTCLICK-COPY a CAR, WOULD you?!

These idiots just reinvented serial numbers for software licensing.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

I bought my headset pretty much exclusively for flight simulation, and I have to say it's pretty much the definition of "truly wonderful VR experience." It was, if anything, extremely undersold as to how great it actually is. And I think that's the use-case for VR more generally: experiences that are expensive or difficult or dangerous or even outright impossible in real life. And I honestly don't think it has to be "gamified" per se.

I'm definitely going to check out No Limits 2 and Ocean Rift, those look like they'd be really fun to chill with.

Is there any kind of space flight simulator? KSP VR?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

He got so mad at people ripping the piss out of him on Twitter that he bought the whole platform

Not yet, he hasn't. I think he has two more days to seal the deal.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Didn't Epstein have similar awful ideas?

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Edit: Apparently, the gom jabbar this is a replica of a vajra

It's also a Tibetan Buddhist icon used as a teaching tool. My guess is that Grimes left it behind when she dumped him.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

I think research and summarization are things machine learning is good for. Making novel arguments is not currently possible.

I'm currently trying to get chatgpt to create a new philosophical argument against itself based on Walter Benjamin's The Role of Art the Age of Mechanical Reproduction. So far, it simply can not extrapolate a new thought, only repeating the arguments it already "knows" from the text.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

In most misdemeanor criminal proceedings, they do pause in the middle to slowly flip through their notes because they can't remember the details of their case because the AGs and PDs have so many cases to handle.

It's just as awkward as when someone was giving a presentation in class and stopped for 45 seconds to find their place. That 45 seconds feels like an eternity when it is completely silent.

It definitely happened during Zoom hearings when Covid started. Checking on your laptop mid speech is a circus, but it's really not a big deal to just have it available. Unless you get a judge who is very mad about showing respect to the institution/judicial officers and wants you making eye contact or staring ahead during the entire proceedings.

Nvidia developed tech that simulates unbroken eye contact, regardless of where the streamer is actually looking.

https://kotaku.com/creepy-eye-contact-stare-ai-nvidia-broadcast-1-4-update-1850025394

Could easily be used in this case

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean some people just have the money to afford the super-fast latest gen phone, so they do it. You don't really need more reasoning than that.

I do a lot of graphic production for work, the latest gen Samsung with stylus/top shelf camera have made me a superstar at work. They're tools.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

https://www.reuters.com/technology/white-house-gives-agencies-30-days-impose-federal-device-tiktok-ban-2023-02-27/

WASHINGTON, Feb 27 (Reuters) - The White House on Monday gave government agencies 30 days to ensure they do not have Chinese-owned app TikTok on federal devices and systems.

Office of Management and Budget Director Shalanda Young told agencies in a guidance memorandum seen by Reuters they will be required to adjust information technology contracts to ensure vendors keep U.S. data safe by eliminating the use of TikTok on their devices and systems.

TikTok has said the concerns are fueled by misinformation. The action does not affect the more than 100 million Americans who use TikTok on private or company-owned devices.

Congress in December voted to bar federal employees from using the Chinese-owned video app on government-owned devices and gave the Biden administration 60 days to issue agency directives. The vote was the latest action by U.S. lawmakers to crack down on Chinese companies amid national security fears that Beijing could use them to spy on Americans.

Federal Chief Information Security Officer Chris DeRusha said "this guidance is part of the Administration’s ongoing commitment to securing our digital infrastructure and protecting the American people’s security and privacy."

Many government agencies including the White House, Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, and the State Department had banned TikTok from government devices before the vote.

The TikTok ban does not apply if there are national security, law enforcement or security research activities but agency leadership must approve these activities, Young's memo said.

The memo said within 90 days, agencies must address any use of TikTok by IT vendors through contracts and with 120 days agencies will include a new prohibition on TikTok in all new solicitations. The federal contractor ban applies to equipment used in government work but does not "include any equipment acquired by a federal contractor incidental to a federal contract."

Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by Chris Sanders and Lisa Shumaker

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Having quit cannabis last week, I can confirm that dreams are loving weird after not having them for a year or two.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

BlueBlazer posted:

No one here cares about Apple users.

This is how I know I'm in the right place

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Who was loving the truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

The Pixel phone seems to be doing alright.