Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

When you sign up for the holograndpa service, you'll also be signing away all likeness rights for the deceased. Feel bad for the kid that has to sit through their dead grandfather's hologram being repurposed to shill dick pills at the subway station, on loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Platystemon posted:

It’s Amazon.

You’re lucky if it has toilets.

What do you mean? I'm sure they've got plenty of water bottles.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Cutting paid cashiers in favor of customer labor for checkout happened well before the pandemic around here. It's been at least a decade since I've seen a grocery store with more than 3 checkout lanes open during a rush.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Whooping Crabs posted:

Looks like it's time to get rid of supermarkets/self checkouts and bring back the general store with all of the merchandise behind the counter and you need a clerk to ring it up for you

You don't often buy razors or detergent, do you? we're kinda doing that, you still need the clerk to grab the product, but you're expected to do the checkout yourself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 16, 2023

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Volmarias posted:

It probably hasn't caught on near you because people aren't shoplifting them heavily near you yet.

Here's the thing, even when they put these cases in, shrink rates don't go down and the imposition of having to talk to a person makes people less likely to purchase the thing behind glass. It's all a panic to make it look like they're doing something, but it's actually retailers cutting their noses to spite their faces :ssh:

Star Man posted:

I've seen a POS and cashier where cosmetics are locked up to make you pay for your items before leaving that department. They're more guarded than electronics.

There's a Safeway in Seattle that re-built their beer aisle to also include lockers for detergent, razors and otherwise OTC pharmacy items in a store-within a store. They installed metal barriers and a pair of additional checkout lanes (only one is ever staffed) within, so you still need someone to unlock things for you, but you also need to check out before leaving the area. Once you do your shopping for these item, you are free to return to the non-controlled item area, finish your shopping and then go through checkout again.

I don't go to that store anymore.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Happy hours aren't surge pricing. Just because a discount is time dependent doesn't make it surge pricing, if you miss out on the discount you just pay regular price, not a premium.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ai is stupid enough for this to be true, but don't trust Jason Rantz.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

shoeberto posted:

We just re-launched DuckAssist, which is our attempt at a responsible LLM question-answering service: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+are+fursuits+made&t=newext&atb=v301-1&ia=web

I know y'all are generally cold on LLMs but I'm curious to get feedback on your experience with it. In particular I've been driving forward our validation process - basically making sure we don't show outright lies to users. I'd really appreciate hearing from perspectives that are more critical than our internal testing.

The link you've given just gives me AI output on what a fursuit is but does not give me the answer to how it's made and then links me to Wikipedia for more info.
It'd be more useful to just give me a wikipedia link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Boris Galerkin posted:

And honestly I don't think it's a bad design to have the actuator apply (slightly) more force/torque to close the door if it detects something blocking it. If you've ever flown on a plane then surely you've seen the people try to close the overhead compartment, fail, and then slam it harder with more force. It's the same concept.

The bad design is that the closing door is literally just sheet metal and is capable of cutting dicks off due to how it's designed.

I don't think doors should be designed to crush things down to size when they are too large.