Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I put this one in the wrong thread.

I saw an interview with the Chief Scientist Ilya Sutskever, who led the OpenAI board to push Altman out. (I didn't think to save the link, sorry.) Sutskever is one of the people obsessed with how evil sophisticated AI could be in the future, and said that's a much bigger threat than global warming. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nachos posted:

Somehow AI has enabled 500 out of 723 workers to unilaterally decide they can just go work at a direct competitor tomorrow so maybe there’s something there. That’d be the most impressive display of power labor has shown.. ever?
*700 of 723.

In California, non-compete clauses are illegal, and not binding even if they're in the employment contract.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Owling Howl posted:

Pretty amazing that many employees give a poo poo who their CEO is. Unless there's ethical and moral reasons to worry about Altmans departure I don't see why they would care.
Some people have charisma (not me). If employees walked out the door, they must have felt some emotional attachment; there's no other way I can see 90% of the company resigning. It's the difference between being CEO and being Our Guy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Spazzle posted:

At some point, you don't want to be in the residual shell of a company that abruptly lost 80%+ of its employees.

True, but there was a point where only 10% of the company had signed, and people kept jumping in.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

whydirt posted:

Sure, but those 10% probably organized the weekly happy hour and fantasy sports leagues
And brought really good wings to the potluck.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

cat botherer posted:

If you love Larry Summers, I have some good news:

https://twitter.com/OpenAI/status/1727206187077370115
We can all thank Sam Altman for nearly a week of entertainment, I suppose. I note that the new board is all-male.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SerthVarnee posted:

If you lot want to get some better resolution in your dreams, just go and get yourself a prescription for Lamotrigin (epilepsy meds).

Turns that boring 14 inch CRT into a 65 inch 4k HD plasma tv or whatever the newfangled tv bling is called.

May or may not include horrendous nightmares.
Other side effects may apply.
I can cope with Lamotrigine but the beta blocker I tried made me wake up screaming every night.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I am once again asking anyone who complains about Google's results being trash "lately" to run the same search in an Incognito session and report back on any differences in results.

I am begging for this to happen. I want to know, please tell me what happens, because my results are still useful and there's obviously something to be learned here.

e. At the very least tell me a search term you've used where the results are clogged with trash so I can run the comparison myself.

When I use DuckDuckGo, the page isn't clotted with SEO spam.

Do a search for "chinotto fruit" on Google. Then do the same search on DuckDuckGo. Notice that the top of the Google results page is a synthesized textbox, plus a lot of drop-downs for commonly-asked questions. Google has decided what I want to see, and it's not my search results.

Now try just "chinotto". Again, note the real estate taken up by infoboxes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(splitting this up to provide page break)
Now search for [red dog].
Scroll past the top level of infoboxes, but stay on the first page.
Google:

Note the Red Dog Saloon and Red Dog Pet Salon and Spa.

DuckDuckGo:

Notes: I've never searched for "red dog" before, and I don't live in either of the states with the saloon and salon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

your second screenshot has the exact same number of search results as your first and the same result
The first screenshot has one Wikipedia search result plus an infobox. An infobox is not a search result. Furthermore, the second screenshot shows full paragraphs from Wikipedia, while the first shows a couple of sentences.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

You scrolled past all the DDG pictures of random red dogs that take up a 3rd of the screen and the link to "16 red dog breeds that turn heads" in the top 3 results

The top 3 results on Google (for me) are the wikipedia article, the IMDB page, and a link to the movie on Amazon prime while DDG is the wikipedia article, the IMDB page, and that random article about red dogs. The Google results here are clearly better if I'm looking for information about the movie.
If you're looking for the movie (or anything else) how are the dog salon and saloon relevant? Why are they on the first page?

mllaneza posted:

I'll say it again, you can turn Google's infoboxes off.
Please tell me how!

I second the rec for Apples to Apples.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 14, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Platystemon posted:

The best pressure cooker is a big ol’ pot that you put on the stove, with a locking lid and a weight that sit atop the lid’s chimney to control pressure.
I'm disabled, and being able to cook while sitting down is a luxury.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Crain posted:

For general language models I doubt that it'll be an issue because there is such a huge amount of text and literature, written at a high level, available in the public domain. I'm surprised that GPT et al haven't tried or said that they used something like Project Gutenburg for training data.
Project Gutenberg contains only works that are out of copyright, which, in the US in 2024, means first published after 1928. Train your model on that, and it's going to sound like your grandmother. (Well, my grandmother, who was born in 1901, anyway.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

Originally, according to some historians, sticker prices were invented by the Quakers. Allegedly (I have not checked this), they had a theological belief that it was dishonest to charge someone more than a “fair” price reflecting the cost and trouble of production, and also dishonest to offer someone less than goods were worth. Consequently, Quaker merchants and industrialists set a price and refused to haggle.

It is true, although not quite the way (PDF) Max Weber thought it worked. The Friends set a single price for several moral reasons, discussed in the link. At first, Friends lost money because customers preferred to haggle. (See: trying to abolish tips.) Eventually customers realized that you could send a child or an inexperienced servant to a Friend-owned business to do your marketing, and they would not get cheated. So people who enjoyed haggling as a sport continued to stay away from the Friends, but people who liked having a consistent price preferred their stores.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The thing about surge pricing is that it is not predictable. You think that buying a single at 10 AM is safe but, Whoops. A tour bus full of people poured in, and your burger just went up fifty cents.

They weren't planning on announcing the higher-cost hours. It was entirely luck of the draw.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

But multiple people in the aviation industry - pilots, controllers - have said the system is on borrowed time, and that sometime soon the bill will come due.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

Stop using Google remains the best advice for a decade and counting. DDG has a !rtings bang that should cover a wide variety of appliance types, they even maintain separate lists for people committed to a vacuum cleaner brand
My technique for getting some information at Amazon is looking the 3-star reviews. Nobody bothers to spam those; they're either going for "buy my product" or "don't buy my competitor's product". Any time I'm trying to shop for something, I try to find it elsewhere first. I can't stop doing mail-order, because I live in the back of nowhere: it's 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get to the nearest Home Depot or Target.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently you can't wash the Cybertruck without putting it into a special car wash mode, which makes no sense because "rain" is a thing that exists.
Ah, but it's worse than that. Taking it through a carwash voids your warranty, per the TikToker who posted about it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Neito posted:

It was New Hampshire. Vermont's too good to be smeared like that.

It's pleasant just to think about New Hampshire.
At present I am living in Vermont.

(last two lines of a long, passionate Frost poem, "New Hampshire", which won the Pulitzer Prize.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I had a Costco problem a year or so back and I sent a polite note to the CEO. One of his assistants got back to me immediately and fixed it. Then she followed up to make sure the delivery had gone smoothly.