Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Thanks Ants posted:

Reading this as an outsider I'm sort of amazed that there was a process that needed to be completed for every vehicle you owned that (at least up until recently) required multiple hours waiting in line at an office, and it had to be done once a year. I'm not convinced an e-ink display is the correct way to solve that though but I guess things are more complicated when you might want to check the validity of a vehicle that is out of state and where police departments are way more fragmented in terms of the systems they use.

It’s like 15 minutes, max, and you can do all your vehicles at once. Where I live the county clerk’s office has a drive through for it.

You can also do it online but they charge 5$ extra for what amounts to reading an email, so gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Instead of sarcastically asking whether it's actually cheaper or not, we could just punch "office to apartment conversion" into Google and get some info about the relative costs and tradeoffs in like five seconds.

That's exactly how I found this article, in fact:

https://slate.com/business/2022/12/office-housing-conversion-downtown-twitter-beds.html

The first page of results has a few more articles analyzing it, though of varying quality. They all pretty much agree with this one, though: much office space isn't suitable for converting to residential, and at current commercial rent levels it's more expensive than just building new, though office rents may eventually fall low enough for that to change.

I remember this came up last month when Elon Musk tried to illegally convert part of Twitter's offices to bedrooms so that his HARDCORE H1B1 visa programmer slaves could sleep in at the office, and it turns out that trying to convert even part of one floor into a hotel is such a legal and technical nightmare that the building manager quit in frustration and sued Elon.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Kagrenak posted:

This describes every Stephenson book

Baroque Cycle had a satisfying ending.

Except for Leibniz, but... *gestures at recorded history*

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I hope I can get through that at some point. I've started Quicksilver several times and usually start to zone out and end up abandoning it a few chapters in.
It's genuinely my favorite thing he's ever written, but it is wholly committed to that mannered semi-archaic style of writing all the way through, so if you can't stomach that then it's pretty rough.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Neito posted:

This book keeps coming up around me after a podcast I follow did a book club about it, and I should really take the hint reality keeps giving me and reading it.

They’re pretty good books: funny, but with a surprisingly deep emotional core. It’s not just meme fodder.