Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Somfin posted:

There was a really cool comic I read a while ago about how the writer distinctly remembered, as a toddler, being able to float down stairs if they kind of held their breath and didn't think about it too hard.

I have the exact same memory. The same distinct feeling of perfect, euphoric, nearly indescribable weightlessness that I used to be able to experience for brief bursts and now can't.

Flight is "pointless" as a power only if you think about powers as means to an end; as far as powers as ends in and of themselves go, flight is the absolute best, especially if you get to swoop and dive and jump off buildings to build momentum and such. I would very much like to be able to fly because I think it would be very fun. gently caress all of that bullshit about ah but what crimes could you get away with et cetera.

Go learn how to paraglide/paramotor.

Not even joking. Lessons and beginner gear are much cheaper than you'd think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

I think any company designing a product to go into a bedroom area should consult a sleep doctor just so they don't miss very basic poo poo that will aggravate someone trying to rest.

I've gone through like three sheets of little opaque LED block stickers just endlessly covering lights up over time.

I have discovered that new microwaves generally come with a sleep mode built in that turns off the display after fifteen minutes or so of inactivity, so that's nicee.

PhazonLink posted:

fascinating, slightly reminds me about the said life hack thing from a previous "smart TVs chat" where the solution was "buy a commercial display."

There's also a similar difference in use, in that the commercial-grade stuff is generally made to be used literally 24/7. Like, home TV design tolerances assume you're going to be shutting it off for at least a little while once a day or so, while commercial displays are designed to be left on for a year straight without something breaking.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the charging thing is a real problem. people are used to parking their cars at or near their homes. anyone who lives in a shared housing situation - renting in an apartment complex, for example - is going to have a much tougher time dealing with charging than someone who owns a home and can install their own charger for their own dedicated, personal parking space

the charging needs to be real fast because people aren't going to park in a community charging spot then come back out in an hour or two or six to move their car. the charger will be occupied for hours at a time, long after the car is done charging

:yeah:

I live in an upscale condo building that isn't afraid of upgrades and repairs (for example, the whole building had ethernet lines run a few years ago for a gigabit internet provider), and we've still put off EV charger infrastructure a few years in a row, because upgrading the garage electrical to handle it will cost a bajillion dollars.

TheScott2K posted:

One of the reasons nobody's dropping that much in cash on a new car is $10,000 doesn't buy you a factory-new car anymore. If you're reading this in your first language, the $10k new car is virtually extinct to you.

It's just so bizarre to me that there are people in here (not you) who are married to this take where $10,000 is when you've crossed into "superfluous luxury" territory. The line is really more like $30,000. Demanding a privilege check for seeing 10 grand as a commodity price for a commodity car is just pointless hostility. It's demanding someone living an unremarkable life beg forgiveness for not wearing a barrel as clothes.

Congrats to the guy dailying an 07 Yaris. Glad you haven't had a repair hit that totals out the car yet. The guy driving a 2015 Yaris doesn't owe anyone an explanation or anything just because you exist.

For a concrete example here, the cheapest new car you can get that still counts as a "real car" is a 2021 Chevy Spark with manual transmission for $14,595. If you want cruise control and power windows that goes up to $16,495.

Edit: $30,000 is a bit low, even. If you're dealing with a bunch of kids and need more seats, pretty much every third-row vehicle out there starts somewhere from $29,000–35,000 new.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 15, 2021

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I have to wonder how many people in this thread whining about the decline of tech literacy lack the car literacy to safely replace a bad intake valve.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Wow, that sure is some clickbait.

This isn't "self-driving vehicle hits person", it's "bus driver ignoring the rule to yield to crosswalks hits person".

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
All of my taxi experiences in the US pre-Lyft/Uber involved drivers who had no idea where well-known city landmarks were, or who intentionally or unintentionally got lost and added time to the trip, or who were either late or never showed up, or all three.

The specifics of the employment structure and making people use their own cars are how Uber and Lyft have made truly ludicrous amounts of money, but I'm confident that even without those, basic ideas like "make drivers actually show up for pickups" and "determine the route price ahead of time" would have led to them being smash successes anyway.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

having a filter like that sounds like a bad idea.

That means there's literally a different VR reality(lol already having nested reality levels) that an ingroup sees vs another group. Also there's a non zero / 100 chance that someone will fatfinger or forget to enable it and suddenly your very serious biz client sees all the dumbshit. its 0 risk just to have a 1000% sanitized boring zuck/fortnight style avatars. (also some people still dont get how to do basic 101 videochat stuff, if they dont care enough to do it in real life, theyre not going to do it if given the choice/freedom in wacky VR world)

See also: that guy who couldn't figure out how to turn off the cat face snapchat filter during a Zoom call of legal proceedings

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I find it bizarre that there are people in this thread who think the only options are "give all your data to a US bigcorp" or "don't have computers". That Danish school system would have been fine with the "one guy running an Active Directory system with a single server rack" solution that my bumfuck nowhere high school had in the pre-Google days.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

the birdpost mentioned that the car was trying to park itself and then from some reason switched to supa go fast mode.

also love how some of the muskrats defending Musk say the driver than panic and just froze as they acc. up 200 mpg. so clearly the driver is at fault or some poo poo.

From the swerving around in the video of the event, it looks a lot more to me like a classic case of "old or low-skill driver stomps full force on the accelerator while thinking they're pressing the brake", as amplified by the infinite torque and massive acceleration of a Tesla. According the NHTSA there are 16,000 cases per year in the US across all car models, and there have been something like 100-plus of them with Teslas alone that were all verified by the NHTSA to be driver error.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'd rather just wear rollerskates.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Talking about Decentraland's nonexistent numbers and not even mentioning VRChat (and VRChat's 70K and growing daily users) makes it obvious the article author has no idea what they're talking about.

Dirk the Average posted:

Uh, aren't there no legs? Do you just have a torso and then giant disconnected hog floating in midair?

VRChat has full body avatars and support for various kinds of full-body tracking using sensors strapped to you or cameras that reverse engineer your body position from the image. People use this as you would expect, including VR pole dancing.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 6, 2023

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

laserghost posted:

To emulate racist, sexualized preschoolers in maid outfits, from what I've seen

Don't be silly! You don't need legs to do that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

eXXon posted:

The Metaverse as a home for wildly impractical architecture seems to make sense. Conceptualizers can erect all of the flowing curved glass monoliths which would be impossible to build in reality and not have to worry about focused reflections lighting passersby on fire or falling misshapen panes shattering on their heads. Now I'm not sure how to monetize this since it has already been done in Second Life probably decades ago but I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

VRChat already has most of that, in the form of treehouses suspended in abstract LSD space animated by music, weird TRON environments filled with adult sight gags, architecturally impossible houses with underwater views, space train gathering places, etc. Little monetization for the creators beyond the Patreon model of unlocking extra world features for subscribers, but that's seemed to work fine so far and avoids microtransaction nonsense.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Rebel Blob posted:

Relating to the conversation about converting offices to housing, here is an office in San Rafael that has done just that. Not inside a major city, but an interesting example. Listed for $520,000 for a 1,066 ft² 1 bedroom/1 bath condo (with $655 a month in HOA fees).

To me, the most bizarre thing about this is that they left the drat drop ceiling in place.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

Can't wait to remove some ceiling tiles and crawl into my neighbor's apartment, half a million well spent!

Nah, look at the edges of the ceiling. The tiles are cut to match the walls, so the walls go all the way up.

...which means they took down the drop ceiling to put the partition walls and probably wiring changes and such in, and then put the drop ceiling back up.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For me, the ethical responsibility here is 100% on the assholes who left an unmarked collapsed bridge in a place where, going by the photos already posted, the hole could be nigh-invisible in bad weather. Somebody could have died there just as easily with no GPS at all just by taking the wrong turn while trying to get from A to B.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Man crushed to death by robot that thought he was a box:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-67354709

E: it’s not entirely clear if the robot used CV to determine the guy was a box, or if the guy just stepped into the predetermined “box goes here” area and the robot just did what it was programmed to do

I would assume the latter, and that somebody wrongly assumed the machine was off when it wasn't.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Papercut posted:

Safeways here are rapidly increasing what they keep behind locked cabinets. For example last month they had most of the candy locked up, to go with all the common stuff like alcohol, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. As previously mentioned, the main effect it has is to make me buy all of those things somewhere else.

I find myself wondering how long until somebody just turns a whole grocery store into an automat

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I was going to say "if in doubt about a pressure cooker, just get an Instant Pot because it does all the stuff without any bullshit", but then I looked it up and now some of their models have wifi bullshit in them, so I guess not those ones.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Woops wrong thread. Neal Stephenson is pretty cool and I wish I could be a samurai pizza hero protagonist

Sorry, all we have in stock are samurai pizza cats

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

shoeberto posted:

We just re-launched DuckAssist, which is our attempt at a responsible LLM question-answering service: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+are+fursuits+made&t=newext&atb=v301-1&ia=web

I know y'all are generally cold on LLMs but I'm curious to get feedback on your experience with it. In particular I've been driving forward our validation process - basically making sure we don't show outright lies to users. I'd really appreciate hearing from perspectives that are more critical than our internal testing.

Your fancy thing there doesn't even answer the actual question, though.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Just eliminate the 'light truck' rule and apply the same standards across the board for passenger vehicles and a lot of that size inflation would evaporate on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
AI matchmaking sounds like a better experience to me than the current mess of swipe apps, but probably worse than OKCupid, which (pre-enshittification) was the only dating app that ever got me results that actually worked out as relationships for any amount of time.