Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

if there's one thing to be said for Uber it at least forced the archaic taxi systems in the cities to try and step up their game.

NYC yellow cabs now have their own app called Arro that hails and pays for them, and I'm sure other cities are working on their own competitors

Oh, definitely. There had not been much hurry to innovate in the world of taxis before and I'm glad uber stirred poo poo up. This is especially true in some of the more entrenched markets outside the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

All this Uber talk reminds me of this image a friend shared a week ago, 125 GBP uber to the airport. Driver inadvertently took the scenic route...

If this were a regular cab, it would be almost impossible to get some of your money back. With Uber you have the evidence and a handy report button. Not saying that Uber is the future, but it's pushing forward some good ideas for the industry along with all of its underhanded poo poo.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Just imagine the spokesman winking after every sentence while reading out the report.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Anyone got similar info on Yelp? All this Yelp talk has left me wondering how the company makes any money at all.

Edit:vvv thanks, will look it up when I get home.

Freezer fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 22, 2016

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

on the left posted:

As a general rule of thumb, with any large business you can fire a huge portion of workers without any real drop in sales for at least a year or two. And even if sales fall, they probably won't fall faster than wage savings. Lots of big businesses you know and love get taken over all the time and PE shops outsource production/fire all the US workers while trading on the good name built over so many years in the past.

Repeat this enough times and what are you left with? The Trump electorate.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

One of the most valuable lessons I got early in my career was that the company has no loyalty to you, so you owe no loyalty to them. Does it encourage crappy behavior on both sides? Of course it does.... But that's the world we live in.

All the comments on job hopping are right on the spot.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Chiming in from Mexico City with my two cents. Uber here is more expensive than regular cabs(specially on surges, which are frequent), but is still growing in popularity immensely.

The reasons for it's popularity have been posted before in this thread (better service, pay with card, fixed amounts, etc) but there's also developing world reasons for it, such as lower likelihood of being robbed and traceability.

Uber has become a middle-upper class darling. If you overlay a map of all the Uber rides with a map of the city it forms a mesh connecting the wealthy bits of town, and whole neighborhoods disappear.

As for my personal experience, I've stopped taking regular cabs after a couple of incidents of being extored by them ( overcharged ridiculously because the meter "didn't work" or " no one uses the meters at this hour"). Uber is probably breaking the law, but so are regular cabs on a daily basis, so meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't think that's the point - just that Uber is used by the richer people who don't go into the poor areas.

Yeah, this. You can ask for an Uber anywhere, but people in the poorest neighborhoods don't tend to have credit cards and smartphones, or money to take taxis regularly.