Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

ErIog posted:

One other thing, though, is that law is one of the areas that is probably one of the hardest targets for ML in an economic sense because it has significant liability associated with it.

ML hasn't been able to cut into legal document translation in a significant way yet even though ML can do an okay job translating in some contexts. You need an actual bilingual legal expert to check and sign off on it.

I don't see how ML-based lawyering will ever work in any case with actual stakes. That said, some dumbass state will probably pay some tech company double what their court-appointed attorneys make in order to give less effective representation to people without resources.

I don't really understand this argument because as far as I understand it, lawyers have perfect protection from liability. If they gently caress up your case from a creative point, you can't sue them for professional liability like you can with a mechanical engineer or a medical practitioner. Losing a case is because your case was wrong, a bridge falling over is because the engineer got it wrong and he (well, his professional indemnity insurance) has to pay.

Most law is trying to find the closest equivalent example to copy paste the result from. Whether that is a fine being challenged, a contract dispute over "shall" and "should", a laborious line by line division of a divorcing couple's assets. Sure, there will need to be checks and skilled oversight but it's the equivalent of suggesting that new designs of bridge can't benefit from computer aided design because the creativity that goes into bridge ideation, design and execution is beyond computers. That is to say, I don't think ML is going to replace lawyers entirely ever, but that a lot of labor and resources devoted to legal disputes now could be re-purposed to other things in life with appropriate automation and ML based research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Mega Comrade posted:

In 2015 Musk promised fully autonomous vehicles within 3 years. Its now 8 years later yet they still try and drive on train tracks and think the Wells Fargo logo is a stop sign.

you talking about humans or computers? Because people driving into bridges with multiple signs saying you have to be this short to go under happens every single day.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Motronic posted:

Are you seriously mounting a defense for beta testing really lovely machine learning on public highways here?

eh, it is a bit of a trolley problem because development of automation in driving could well reduce harm to people from driving (not just crashes but energy efficiency, time saving, etc) over the medium to long term. Cruise control is still killing people every day to this day even though it started out as a lovely PID loop and now they are quite refined.

A lot of attacks on automation / AI / machine learning consist of comparing the worst result of the technological solution with the best human outcome. e.g.
Supv: Hey joe, how about using the expert system to run the plant in stable operation?
Joe: What? I can beat that stupid thing every day, it can't even handle fault x without intervention
Supv: ok, what about last shift where feeder two was underfed for seven hours.
Joe: We are busy and tired, it's loving bullshit that you expect us to watch this thing all day long, you loving sit there for hours monitoring everything and not miss something.
Supv: that's what the expert system is for, to tirelessly watch and optim...
Joe: You're a gently caress-knuckle. I can beat that stupid thing every day.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like random generation in video games in many ways; it has its uses, but it sure as gently caress isn't going to replace actual design entirely, especially when the novelty wears off. We have actually had at least one high profile game where level design was partly algorithmically generated to save development time- Balan Wonderworld. It was not well received.

Morrowind was also procedurally generated and then touched up from what I understand. Daggerfall to go back even further.

And yeah, people that don't think word association ai/machine learning is not powerfully useful are not people that have been exposed to foreign language work. I work in a foreign language a lot of the time and google translate and DeepL are more than my little friends. The same work a decade ago was a lot more hard work.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Jaxyon posted:

Suddenly laying off people when their health insurance is dependent on their job is a lot more likely to result in death than a workplace shooting where the management was nice.

You're giving them the benefit of the doubt where none should be given. No manager is thinking of shootings. They're thinking they want to get it over with so they don't to have bad fee fees about destroying lives.

What a bizarre take.

eh, it's seen as a bit of a favour if you get your notice and let go immediately with pay in lieu. It is not the worst job to look at someone with five kids and a sick mum in the eye and tell them they are expected to work up until the very last day of their notice period of dismissal at a good productivity. Generally do a deal that they/you keep working until another job is found and allowed to immediately leave. It is just hard to manage that on a large scale.

I am curious on what their methodology was, maybe it is something that is not obvious - maybe certain people that were paid more than others at the same level, maybe diversity ratios get a kick up out of this, those that don't / do have large redundancy costs, maybe a random number generator, maybe ChatGPT was asked and spat out a list. That it seems indiscernible probably tells you that some of their selection criteria could be challenged in court and enough noise needs to be added to plausibly muddy the water.

With google, I seen on tik tok that Microsoft AI assisted search release and the panicked google reaction underscores that if Microsoft cuts Google's grass on most popular search engine, Google revenue could halve or quarter in a short period of time. Is this feasible?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Family Values posted:

Search related revenue is about 58% of their total:

Source.

So even if Google's search related revenue dropped to 0 total revenue is not going to drop to 25% of current. But I'm also pretty skeptical that chat bots are going to be that significant of a tech for search.

Thanks, I will say though that some of the revenue outside the google search section is still driven by the google search section (Google Network Members, a portion of the youtube ads success is because the ads are targeted by research done on google search history). I doubt 50% let alone 25% as well but Astalavista was my favourite search engine for years and I don't even know if it still exists now. Brand loyalty is a thing, but there is not the same tie in which search engine you save as a bookmark as owning a tractor from John Deere where parts will keep revenue coming in long after they fail to sell new tractors or operating system where the entire ecosystem is built around it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Nenonen posted:

...Altavista? It was bought by Yahoo.

heh, couldn't even remember its name. In a few years I will be "what was that search engine everyone used to use? named like binoculars I think .. Goggles Search?"

Anyway, so that's what happened to Altavista, ta!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I got an Iphone mini for my partner and it seems about the same size as the previous Iphone 7. It's a good size and does the job.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

PT6A posted:

The mini size has been eliminated from the most recent generation of iPhone. I agree that it is/was a good size, but it's gone now.

ahhh really? That's a bit poo poo.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Magic Underwear posted:

Yeah you got it right you're really plugged in my man. The mini sold so well that they didn't bother releasing a new version, since that's what you do with hit technology products. And your idea of drastically raising the price? Brilliant.

They sell like poo poo because the battery is poo poo and people like to consume video content on a larger screen more than they like easy one-handedness.

I think he is onto something, I was surprised that the mini was cheaper than a full size. My own kids will grab the mini over the larger (work provide ) Iphones, I assumed Apple is culling it because it is cannibalizing sales of the larger units at a lower margin.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

plan?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

How do you guys go with dual sim phones? Do you need to register two plans on the one phone?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I get not doing much work on your phone, I got a work issued phone and still have all notifications for work applications turned off (email, whatsapp, teams, etc). But it is a weird hill to die on.

The only software my company had expats install on their personal phone was a travel security software ap. You are in trouble, you hit panic and a team sitting in an office in London would react and coordinate a response. You sent your travel ahead of time and it would pop up a notification if your went off route for them to follow up as another feature. Most expats were pretty lackadaisical about the whole thing but one guy in particular made a big song and dance and was going to take the company to EU court over it etc.

Absolute Pikachu face when he got managed out.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Senor Tron posted:

Not wanting your work to have a GPS tracker on your personal phone seems pretty drat reasonable.

He was travelling through the Sahel and Ouagadougou, kidnap for ransom being a local pastime, expecting to be safe and refusing tools to be kept safe is just someone to get out of the organisation. There are plenty of organisations to work for that don't have such a high personal safety requirement so it's just easier for everyone he go and avail himself of them.

withoutclass posted:

It's probably the least weird hill to die on. If work thinks having a phone with their applications installed is important enough they can buy you a phone and a plan for it.

Getting your salary hosed up, your health coverage stuffed around, your rostered time with family stuffed up, not having every effort to get you home for a bereavement, not having a safe place of work, allowing you to be stuck with some dickhead that wants to rant and rave about covid mandates and personal safety requirements and how we all should make our jobs absolutely poo poo and unsafe so he don't have to "give in to the man" are hills worth more dying for.

e) Corrected poor choice of words.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 27, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

PT6A posted:

Not super relevant, but please consign “gypped” to the same shitpile of words as “jewed” because it’s essentially the same thing, offensive connotations and all.

Noted and corrected.

withoutclass posted:

Yes well I'd also rather not get eaten by bears but I'm not sure that's particularly relevant here unless 100% of your examples are things your work would do if you didn't install their software on your phone.

None of my examples of things worth dying on the hill for were relevant to old mate's "gently caress you I will do what I want in a known kidnap for ransom zone and I am going to take you to the EU court over mandating utilising a safety travel ap while in a red zone". My point was that a lot of people claim some small thing is a really big deal, infer that they would really make a big song and dance when most people wont, with a counter example I provided along with the commentary that it was not actually a great idea to make it Custers last stand.

We had a different fellow say he was going to quit rather than receive a "DNA altering" vaccine so we obtained and flew in a dose of Sinovax, registered it with local authorities and administered it just to old mate so that he could continue to work (we mandated expats are covid vaccinated as required for continued employment).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Issaries posted:

Some of us don't live in a hellworld.
We got job schedules for weeks in advance and when the bosses ask "Can you come in [different time], I can just say 'No'."
No explanations needed.

I assume you expect the ambulance to come and the best brain surgeon nearby to be available if you have an accident/medical emergency?

Like why do people keep making themselves sound like some sort of anti-work internet tough-guy talking about things outside their own lived experience. We get it, you do a job of no urgent consequence and have enough money from that job that the tasks of consequence that need doing for you urgently are available to you when you need it.

On WFH, it is not just the old timee companies that wish for bygone days, I remember a discussion on SA somewhere talking about tertiary students being made to attend classes and I was startled at the number of defenders of mandatory attendance/attendance linked marking at university. Blew my mind that the stat they rolled out was how many extra students pass an exam if made to attend class - do we really want people to graduate that can't complete tasks without being in an office and also don't know enough to attend an office without being made to if they are struggling? The defenders of attendance linked marking were in turn flabbergasted that the major Western Australian Universities are offering all classes online and declared it was going to be a disaster out of hand.

The defenders tended to be US professors from what I could work out but I assumed academia tends to be more progressive, especially academia with a SA account but turns out not.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

His Divine Shadow posted:

So more students graduated if they attented a class than if they studied from home. Indicating students learn better when physically present than remotely.

This is the students fault and if they can't study remotely this indicates they shouldn't be allowed to graduate.

Did I understand this correctly?

A key point is it is optional whether students come in or not at Murdoch Uni, Curtin uni, etc. They have all the lectures and materials available in person as well as not.

The mandatory attendance system is that if you stay home to care for your kids or work a job to pay for studies, the lecturer don't give a poo poo you can knock the subject matter of the exam out of the park - getthefuckouttahere.

The relaxed attendance system approach is that it's up to you to work out what you require to get across the material and if you believe you can do it all (except exams) at home and you can't (as evidenced by failing the exam which don't have attendance requirements), then professional workplaces are probably best served by someone else. Pushing someone over the pass line that can't work out what is required to complete the work is not someone that should be in the workplace implied by that qualification.

If your goal is just to graduate as many people as possible, the mandatory attendance system makes sense. If the goal is to get the right people with the right skills into the right jobs, then it is the wrong approach in a work from home world that we live in. Are you really expecting a person that the difference between passing and failing was being FORCED into the classroom to be the best person in a work from home workplace?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

EightFlyingCars posted:

yeah roguelikes and other procedurally-generated games are intensely designed, it takes a poo poo ton of work to make a generation engine that's playable, enjoyable, and distinct, and even then the best generation engine in the world isn't worth poo poo without a good set of rules and mechanics to use, which again takes a ton of actual design work from actual human beings. and that's before you get into visuals and audio and writing

What are you talking about, People played the poo poo out of DND and other simple games that were like one or two people teams that used procedural methods to generate content.

A lot of this chat is like machinists getting angry at/dismissive of CNC machines in; I dunno, the 70's. There are still machinists, the work quality has gone up, the skills required (to be a good machinist) have changed for the most part but are definitely easier to train for a given quality job.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I want to lend support to the training and worksite applications. Remote working is already increasing but I think it has the potential to be even better with AR. From surgery to remote underground bogging to crop dusting to tower crane operation.

Think about how quite detailed drawing are already worked up for pump or a gearbox but you don't want to continually strip down and wear the mating faces of your spare gearbox. VR could really help the training of your mechanical fitters or to teach welding technique for much cheaper than consuming expensive flux and materials constantly. Of course it wont replace all training but in the same way that all airlines now use simulators for the bulk of aircraft training (and especially failure mode training), I think cheaper VR and more robust makes it more accessible.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are excluded from the "homeowner" definition. Not entirely.

I would be curious about treatment of people that own a home but are renting somewhere else (for whatever reason, for me it is because we moved my partners mum into my partner's place and moved overseas). I guess it would count as a homeowner, even if they don't live in that home.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I bought a second hand thermomix and it is a pretty impressive device. I thought, well this is pretty good, maybe I will fly to the UK and buy a new one (it is not available where I live). Then found out the latest one needs internet connectivity and a membership to use recipes? gently caress that! The second hand one is good, just only have the original recipe chip (in French) and seems hard to get more recipe chips but whatever, still an awesome heating blender.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

The people I know with rice cookers use them like literally every single day.

By every day, you mean three hot meals a day plus snacks and of course you should put a batch on if it is sitting empty because you never know when someone is hungry and you don't deprive by feeding old rice. How'd you guess I have been to SE Asia?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hey now, old rice is good for fried rice. But you’ve made enough rice to know exactly how much you need to not have any leftovers by the time you’re an adult.

yes, is easy. Always finish what's on your plate, here have another spoonful, only a little bit left.

But yes, fried rice is tasty. Also milk, rice and sugar.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Nah, the journalist in the tik tok link was playing gotcha.

"Hey CEO, does Sub stack censor a sentence saying "brown people should not be allowed in the US" ?"

Of course the straight answer is "no". There are so many ways to say that statement so if the CEO says "yes", the obvious follow-up is asking about some example of someone avoiding filters or terms of service (P0RC should N0t b3 a110wed in the land of freedom", from prior to terms of service, etc etc (and the journalist probably already had those examples ready to go).

So once that question was asked the responses were either

"No" - He just agreed that brown people shouldn't be allowed in the US.
"I am not going to answer that" - He is avoiding doublespeak arsehole but didn't specifically state he believes that brown people should not be allowed in the US.
"Yes!", "What about examples x, y and z where this happened?"
Maybe some back and forth on specific example that journalist is fully aware of all the specifics of the examples and the interviewee knows nothing but at the end of the day - He is a demonstrated liar and a racist.

So he has chosen the second one and wearing the insinuation of being outed as a racist for the rest of his career (because this tik tok is here to stay), that is why he is paid the big bucks.

In a similar vein, how do you think Jeff of SA should answer "Does SA censor a sentence saying "a child should be beaten to death for theft"?" - if you think that journalist was a hard hitting truth-finder, then you are not going to like the answer to this question (it was a misfired joke and the poster probated for it but the original post is still undeleted). This is not to say that the CEO is not a raging racist arsehole that also double-speaks but I'm not making any claims to that, just saying that this journalist is using that one weird trick of "gotcha" as old as the hills and interviewees do indeed hate it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

silence_kit posted:

It would be nice if Jeff could be honest when talking about SA instead of engaging in the evasive language politicians and corporations use. SA is a small website, not a major government or billion dollar corporation. But maybe that is an unreasonable expectation.

So your saying that Jeff should be honest about his belief that children should be killed for theft?

Here is some hard hitting interviewer action on racists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lyex2tSUyA

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Stexils posted:

if you read the entire interview the interviewer is absolutely not some 'hard hitting truth finder' trying to grill the guy, the interview was generally extremely soft and substack was always given the benefit of the doubt. the ceo just totally flubbed the simplest gimme premise by refusing to say they would ban hate speech.

because you can't ban hate speach. That's why he couldn't say it. Someone finding 88 on your site is enough to prove that you have not banned hate speech.

How would you ensure that there both no hate speech on a site and that no employees are exposed to hate speech (on the second one, the "cute" answer is to outsource the moderation to the Philippines - contractors, not employees)?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Stexils posted:

youre conflating policy with execution. its impossible to scrub every scrap of hate speech from social media site but that doesnt mean that company policy is hate speech is fine, just that their resources are limited. this is generally understood and typically only comes up when it appears the company is undermoderating or deliberately allowing hate speech to stay up (like facebook undoing algorithm tweaks discouraging extremism because it also dropped engagement or musk unbanning a bunch of right wingers).

The question was not "do you condone hate speech on your website", it was "do you censor hate speech on your website?", which is to say that any single example of implied hate speech found is proof that hate speech is indeed not censored. That is why the question was asked that way. Everyone knows the answer to "do you condone abhorrent behavior" is "no, we don't always agree with the users of our product and their views do not reflect the views of us as a vendor". That is why the question was asked in absolute terms of whether it exists (ie, do they censor/remove all examples of), not whether they have a policy on it.

Jose Valasquez posted:

It's really weird how you changed the question asked so you could defend the CEO.

:hurr:

I don't care about substack or this wanker but all the hootin' and holorin about the gotcha masquerading as a slam dunk reminds me very much of this bit of hard-hittin questioning on a similar topic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjIz_vE6qc

There are legitimate concerns (for both substack and tik tok) but bullshit lines of questioning pretending to be insightful; while apparently popular with brigadiers as META, it comes across as so much :bravo: and gets on my goat.

Mister Facetious posted:

He'd just say, "No.

Of course, he would be cut off at that point and then there is a Tik Tok of Jeff saying SA does not ban support of child murder. Well done.

Pachylad posted:

How is this different from going "Wow there is still theft and murders going on in this country even though we have laws prohibiting them, guess we better not have any laws about them then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"?

He was not asked if there was controls or policies (ie about whether there is anything in the TOS), he was asked if "brown people should not be allowed in the US" was censored. Is "brown people should not be allowed in the US" censored from US airwaves? I'm sure I have seen placards on the international news suggesting as much so the answer is "no". Are there policies, laws and resources put towards improving the situation? Yes, even if not very effective a lot of the time.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

The CEO's answer was that the TOS does not allow for hate speech.

He was not asked about the TOS, he was asked about banning a specific concept. Any example found of this concept on the site is proof it is not banned. So instead of saying it is banned (with the obvious setup for being asked about an example of it existing on the site because the concept could be interpreted literally or liberally), use mealy mouth nothing statements to ineffectively avoid saying "no, there is not an effective technical or moderation solution in place to clean this website of every way of saying "brown people should not be allowed in the US".

Evil Fluffy posted:

You absolutely can ban hate speech. That doesn't mean it won't show up and need to be reported but hey, that's what moderators are for.

The CEO hosed up and just didn't want to be on record giving a reply that he knows would anger the right wing assholes who use his site regardless of whether or not he agrees with those views. He sucks and there's no excuse to defend his idiocy.

If there's a video out there of Jeff saying "no" (or even just some clips of his voice, because AI is getting good) then someone can already make that Tiktok. Not everyone is a Project Veritas dipshit who looks to edit videos to make out of context gotchas.

I mean ban as in ensuring there is no examples on the site or that employees are exposed to.

I'm not talking about synthesizing Jeff's voice, if it was generated he could go on the record later saying he didn't say that. But if it is quoted out of context as I suggest, and gets challenged later (hey jeff, the other day you said SA doesn't ban support of murdering children for theft), he gets the awesome mealy mouth answer of "That is out of context".

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Pachylad posted:

Why can't he just say "gently caress no, we don't condone racism" like how is this so hard. He didn't give a half-hearted mealy-mouthed answer about 'we'll do better' that is the expected tech-bro platitude at this point, he just gave a more half-hearted mealy-mouthed psuedo-philosophical 'enlightened centrist' take that thinks that doing action on racist statements is bad??

He tried repeatedly to say that the TOS does not condone hate speech but the interviewer was having none of that and kept going back to asking about whether substack censored a specific concept. That is my entire point. The interview was purely about avoiding the "gently caress no, we don't condone racism" answer and setting up the guy for a lay down misère "ahh but here is an example where your site DIDN'T censor this concept!".

The reality is that substack likely just want to rely upon the TOS and reports and not commit to actively moderating the stuff on their site to a measurable standard. Active moderation comes with its own heeby jeebies (you should also prevent your volunteers/employees from being exposed to anything you don't condone), costs and like with Facebook, opens you up for being in situations you just don't want to buy into (Palestine should be censored anyone?). He likely would rather that the hate speech would just gently caress off as most of us do but it's a big statement to say "yep, we are totally up to saying yes to completely censor a concept on our site each time an interviewer with an angle formulates one." Remember, TOS ruling out hate speech was not good enough for the interviewer, the interviewer was specifically challenging whether a specific concept was censored (ie totally removed).

pumpinglemma posted:

TIL that murder is legal. It must be, since if it were banned then it would never happen.
Sorry, my bad. Not banned, I meant censored, the TOS bans hate speech, the site apparently doesn't effectively censor people that promote keeping brown people out of the US.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 15, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Fall guy / toe cutter is pretty much a role description.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

roffles posted:

It’s probably that most people get issued lovely work computers, modern apps are not exactly coded for efficiency.

Is any computer built in the last 10 years not able to keep up with Teams? I bought a 300 dollar laptop (the cheapest at Harvy Norman) in the 2000's that was sufficient for admin/business work desk needs. I bought more expensive ones after that because they were lighter and slimmer, not because the literal cheapest laptop I could buy couldn't keep up with Microsoft.

Teams for me has glitches but sure has made WFH way more streamless than without. I even us its filling system for group stuff as better than Egnyte (which is probably unreliable due to corp IT settings than a problem with Egnyte per se).

Sharepoint is another one that people love to hate on but when you get your workflows working to your business logic right, it can replace so many forms and paperwork.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It doesn't matter how good the hand tracking is if it doesn't have haptics, for which a headset is irrelevant. "[A] board of switches" (the right board, that is, corresponding to the actual aircraft you're training for) and "the other bits" (electro-mechanical simulation of the aircraft systems and feeding them back to the pilot) are what make traditional flight sims expensive. There are already commercial computer sims without a lot of those and whatever they gain from having a headset with good tracking they can already get from existing technology that's an order of magnitude cheaper and actually proven.

I think you are overselling how important the haptics are to training. Making the hands go to the right spot and go through the correct motions for that particular switch through muscle memory is far more important than your hand recognizing the button it is on through touch.

Race car drivers used to talk about how you needed to feel the car through your pants to be able to drive properly but people that have spent a lot of time on racing sims can get great lap times on their first hit out on the real track.

Joystick, peddles, throttle and VR combined with a virtual cockpit that can see where you put your hand (Falcon 4.0 aficionados made super detailed virtual cockpits requiring all the right switching just to start the plane over a decade ago) will get you >90% of the way there for a fraction of the cost. Most flight training is just trying to wrote learn the procedure of what to do in a certain situation, not to learn what it feels like to switch a certain style of switch. Single engine out, partial panel failure, one gear stuck down, fire alarm, cabin de-pressurization alarm, route familiarization, type familirisation (a big one because four different types of A320 cockpit is just a menu option in a VR cockpit), etc etc.

This is not just to make it cheaper for Southwest (who can get planes made that are easier to train on), but it also puts simulators in reach of regionals and even private flyers.

For me AR could really help with trades training. Rebuilding a virtual gearbox/pump/component that is too expensive to have a workshop real spare.
Or even a AR gearbox rebuild procedure that automatically identifies the parts through its camera and tell you what to do next. Definitely niche and not a killer app but would make for more stringent control of artisan work. Hell, it might become required in aeronautical as a way to validate a maintenance procedure was carried out right - both takes you through it step by step and inherently records you doing it.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think you should read to the end of what you quoted, which covers most of the rest of your post.

The point is to muscle memory which switches to switch when and in what part of the cockpit they are. Track IR with a mouse to select the right switch is no-where near as good as AR where the VR headset knows where your hands are.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good enough hand tracking with a VR headset is already something that exists and is proven, and doesn't need AR, and is available for a fraction of the cost.

oh, I think I am just misunderstanding, I thought we were talking about the value of a high quality VR headset over not a VR headset (you mentioned haptics as being very important which is what I responded to and which VR only headset doesn't address?). I am not married to an apple product by any stretch of the imagination and was unaware other VR headsets already decent hand tracking (without wearing icky gloves).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Blut posted:

Whenever some brave soul figures out a tie-up with an automated fleshlight for porn haptic feedback VR will actually take off.

say, although the thought of having gloves to share around in an industrial/workplace setting sounds icky, is there haptic feedback built into gloves yet?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Boris Galerkin posted:

I literally can’t tell if this is satire or not but let them fight I guess.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65981876

E: I’m not “gonna hand it to Zuck” but the article says he’s actually been training in MMA so I hope he beats the poo poo out of Musk. That sounds like the least worse option. Can you imagine if Musk won? His fans wouldn’t ever stop talking about it.

Is this like a fight between an internet site owner and a Uwe Boll (?) Is one of these going to end up with a titanium spine (SpineX?).

SpineX vs Facehook - nerdbro fight 2.0

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 22, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I would argue that it was mostly they came from a time of limited (at least less varied) and non-fresh ingredients as well. Just go to the quieter parts of a developing country and try and cook as varied a menu as is possible in Aus/UK/whatever and a willingness to eat at restaurants to eat something completely different outside your skill set. It is easy to cook an absolutely delicious pasta if you have access to fresh herbs and olive oil. Now do it without olive oil, fresh herbs, cheese or tomatoes (none of these are available outside expensive western styled supermarkets here if at all). Or if you do have everything for pasta (because you live in Bologna), try and do a tasty seafood laksa without fresh seafood, lemon grass, etc.

I think people under-appreciate just how much more accessible quality food is compared to even the 80's.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

This is kind of where I'm coming from with it.

Kind of curious how infrastructure evolved with the advent of the internal combustion engine and can only assume it was kind of a gradual, build as you go sort of thing where gas stations just kept increasingly popping up as cars became more commonplace. I know the highway system was a planned and heavily invested initiative but I'd have to imagine that most streets were the result of "we should probably put a road here. And, oh yeah, maybe a filling station."

ANyone with better knowledge of it feel free to chime in.

Total Energies is expecting to convert most of their petrol stations to EV in the next few years in Europe but expects to double the number of petrol stations in its African market over the same timeframe as manufacturing capacity and resources will be priortised toward the green credentials of Western nations. Also remember that (slow) charging at home with an optional extra will reduce the amount of people visiting servos as well. I don't think it is so much an issue for EV light vehicles as it is for truck fleets that will need multi megawatt servos to keep up with truck traffic.

A lot of the earliest road networks were laid out for horse and buggy and even if most people walk, a similar network needs to be in place for logistics reasons anyway (in Singapore, Tokyo, etc, a LOT of road traffic is public busses, delivery trucks/vans and taxis).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Chronojam posted:

They're explicitly designed to be left laying on the ground in all weather, and run over by cars. Including the connector handle.

Obviously if you can hook the end on something or keep it in a dry box it's better long-term, but outdoor EV charging stations in everyday parking lots has been a thing for a long time now.

I think there is a misunderstanding, the charger station itself could have an outdoor rated lead allowed to hang on the ground when in use (and hung in its holder when not) but they are talking about running power out to where the car parks. There is no electrical standard in the world that just lets you run permanently installed cable on the ground. At the very least put it in some cable tray (for ease of maintenance) or bury it to standard so it does not look like arse..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

nachos posted:

there are hundreds of billions of dollars being invested into what will end up being, at best, a decent technical writing and homework assistant that still requires a human to validate the output

Eh, its already delivered on taking most of the grunt work out of language translation. That and automated gore content filtering (as pointed out by another poster) seems like well worth the investment of billions.