Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
A hotel in Buenos Aires where Uber drivers' training was being carried out was attacked by local cab drivers. They parked outside the venue and threw rocks at the façade. No photographers were allowed inside the premises out of fear for the potential drivers' wellbeing. More than 6000 people showed interest on driving for Uber in the first 24 hours.

Had I accepted their offer I would've been there training the drivers. I kind of regret not having accepted. But I feel like the danger for the cars and drivers is much more real here that in some of the other cities where they've rolled out before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Cicero posted:

There have been a bunch of these, I just read an article the other day about how many have struggled/shuttered.
fake edit:

http://www.eater.com/2016/3/31/11293260/airbnb-for-food-apps-eatwith-feastly

And this one:

https://www.cookapp.com/

Successful in Argentina, currently trying to expand, well, everywhere. Just look at the extremely misleading location list.

This kind of thing has the same drawbacks as Uber, where there is no guarantee of the quality of the products. But I've seen "secret restaurants" operate through this thing. With waiters and all.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Konstantin posted:

I agree, simply because there is too much money to be made. Forget personal cars, the real money is in driverless semi trucks, taxis, shuttles, buses, delivery trucks, and other fleet vehicles. Getting humans out of the driver's seat would massively reduce transportation and shipping costs, and the big companies that stand to gain from it can push the relevant laws through.

This is true, but at the same time, subway and train drivers. I mean, if we still haven't automated something that's basically a car trip that always go through the same path, with mostly the same obstacles I can't see us getting rid of truck drivers in 10 years.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

cheese posted:

Which then becomes a question of "Why have a driverless big rig if it has to have a driver in it anyway?" :iiam:

This is kind of what I was going for. And the answer I've read is "safety measures". Human drivers are obviously not perfect, and neither are driveless vehicles. But you couls combine part of both systems. And have a driver based vehicle have some advanced collision detection software, where it allows a computer to react to certain situations, quicker than a human could. Or maybe the opposite, which means the human is there to take over in case of an emergency, kind of like trains and subways. But this just results in increased hardware costs which in turn increases delivery costs. Sure, you could end up with less dead people, but that doesn't improve the bottom line.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Unkempt posted:

It has a trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsbVnrOkcr8

Surprise, it's loving disgusting

Holy poo poo, those weren't joke TV show premises? They are honest to god plots?

That trailer is amazing. "The app", "I'm an engineer."

Are americans really okay with the concept of someone buying a police precinct? Is this thing trying to be self aware or something?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Feinne posted:

Wait the description of that wasn't like a satirical parody thing? gently caress me.

I know, right!

Hey boss, your friend was murdered 10 years ago and we still don't have a lead, maybe we should focus our resources on other cases?

And lol at the tech guy being the one controlling the drone. As if american police, specially in a city like Chicago would be completely flabbergasted by such a mythical technology. And the female cop being "pfff, technology? Cops solve cases dude"

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

unknown posted:

Another startup dealing with licencing and then funding issues trying to disrupt the industry.

Wait..

So they simply resell tickets from a certain company? What's stopping people from buying directly from Flair? Do they get a discount for pre-buying large amounts of tickets or something? They are basically a travel agency with only one airline available.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

To be fair "Nespresso, but for juice" does seem like the kind of pitch that would net you millions on capital.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

RIP facebook

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

https://www.pewresearch.org/interne...3j0000112A6VEAU

44% of americans consider self driving cars to be bad for society, 29% good.

Much better than one would guess reading this thread.

Edit: 10260 US adults, nov '21

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Lol all the americans outing themselves

Book depository ruled for internationals, way better than amazon or other options, this sucks

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Been noticing adds for Chrome lately.

Is their dominance slipping due to Bing related reasons or something?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

YouTube has also increased the price of their subscription.

And my homebrewed cocktail of 5 different adblockers stopped working, I added a few more and now they work, but only in incognito mode. I'm still holding on to Chrome, but I may have to switch.

I guess they are really struggling in some other area and need to squeeze money from wherever they can?

Or it's just a general "ad supported content is not profitable" trend.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Eh, depends on more factors than just that, but good joke man.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

I mean, it's not a joke, it's literally why they want you to watch the ads. Numbers always have to go up to make wall street happy and they've crammed as many ads as they can into the content already so they're increasing the number of people watching the ads. The profit or losses they currently make are irrelevant except in comparison to the numbers for next quarter

Just in the interets of conversation, it also depends on people clicking on the ads, and buying the things shown in the ads.

It could mathematically be possible that increasing the number of eyeballs with people tech savvy enough to install an ad blocker could lead to shittier results.

I'd hope we'd be beyond youtube showing higher "impressions" on their ads and shareholders being impressed.

Just tried removing everything but ublock and it didn't work, Firefox here we go i guess.

Edit: switching to firefox was easy, and just ublock blocks youtube's adds. It didn't import the correct chrome profile by default, i had to do a few extra clicks in settings for that but quite simple really

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 10, 2023

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Okay then lol

Maybe they were trying to speedrun the steve jobs firing and return?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Youtube making moves against Opera. I don't even know where to retreat now.

I guess I may finally break and try that Brave thing?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

https://www.adskipper.me

This solved it for me in Opera, i had been using ublock until it started tk fail.

I tried fireflx before Opera, it acted weird, and not just the intentional delay Youtube put in, it just wasn’t reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Help me do my homework. I'm working on a stock pitch for Meta.

Every single bank has it as a "Buy", only one or two as a "Hold".

Being a contrarian would be fun for class, any real reason as to why their stock could collapse in the next 24 months?

Only thing i can see is some out of nowhere privacy legislation in the EU or the US. I don't see the US lawsuit to roll back Instagram and Whatsapp as viable. Other antitrust complains are possible I guess. Doesn't matter if Trump or Biden win, I think both govs would be willing to go after them.

AR is not going anywhere soon, but everyone knows that already, it's an implicit long term bet.