Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
twitter embeds haven't worked for me on the boards for like a month, elon's got nothing on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Here's a question for the gallery. Let's say there's a fantastical company that doesn't care about liability and willfully commits to moderating their large social media platform to weed out malicious behavior like harassment, threats, and disinfo. Even if they are completely benevolent and driven in their pursuit, is it practical or even possible to regulate a platform with a population in the hundreds of millions? Is there a system one could design or enough man-hours dedicated to moderation that it would be feasible?
you have to moderate the community as you grow it, otherwise you don't have a community as much of a bunch of factions constantly at war with each other. the reason all of the big social platforms suck is because they wanted to maximize growth, which means just not doing any moderation as much as possible

the better short-term option is giving users the ability to moderate their own feeds and notifications more, but it obviously doesn't deal with the more targeted stuff

e: automated moderation of dm's are a bit different, but you obviously don't want to help set up a system to help arrest people for protesting etc

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 28, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if you pay $20/mo, you get a blue checkmark in your future court filings against elon

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
how many people even know that the creator of vine made a new app that no one ended up using

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you mean you don't want to spin up some alpha version of twitter bootstrap and use whichever patchwork we relied on before html5 got out of beta?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
one of the best thing about vine was how much it centred non-white people, and i somehow don't think elon and his friends will grasp that, much less embrace it

https://www.wired.com/story/excerpt-white-negroes-lauren-michele-jackson/
https://www.vox.com/2016/10/28/13439450/vine-shutdown-loss-to-black-culture
https://www.buzzfeed.com/sylviaobell/mmmohmygodyes

another thing that blew my mind is that the tiktok recommendations i get in the browser when i'm not logged in incognito are about as bad as youtube shorts. it's not great that youtube shorts suck too even when i'm logged in, but vine just always felt great to log into, even before tiktok (and musical.ly) was something that existed

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 31, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Senor Tron posted:

Not in any way an economist, but isn't it in a way similar to a home loan?

You put down a bit of the money to buy a house, and the majority of the debt is held against that property.
if it's with respect to twitter, this is probably more or less the subprime mortage disaster version where banks were giving mortages to people with no chance of realistically paying it back

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

withoutclass posted:

The big tech cos have been hoovering up talent they don't even need for years and it was only a matter of time. Really sucks if you worked there but at least the severance packages seem good.
and smaller co's have been poaching all the employees at big tech who didn't want to come back to the office after wfh

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

enki42 posted:

"Starve" is wild hyperbole for 99% of startup employees. Unemployment insurance exists.
it's fine, i'm being told silicon valley will make ubi happen any minute now according to *puts finger to ear* silicon valley

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i think contacting the fdic might be the best thing to do when you have the chance? either today by e-mail or tomorrow by phone. either to get some clarity or to try to light a fire under the rear end of your former employer

as far as what happened, it's basically the above

kliras fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 12, 2023

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Historically, the reason the FDIC exists is (...)
adam conover also has a good netflix episode on how the fdic works

https://twitter.com/FDICgov/status/1527702777316753410

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah, obfuscation and watermarking technology generally seem to work pretty terribly. i don't even know what corporations use to keep stuff from leaking and getting uploaded

some streamers will just get their own background music that i guess they hope can be used either for thwarting other people taking their stuff, or maybe to make it harder for automated copyright systems to detect something on their own streams with background music

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
both dems and repubs will be sore losers going after facebook in the event of a loss, but they didn't do a lot of damage last time they tried. they're currently busy being lobbied by facebook to ban tikok as it is. might happen sooner than we think, too

one has to wonder what kind of company facebook will be if zuckerberg gets run over by a (self-driving) bus, but i don't know how much the market actually loves the guy

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

OddObserver posted:

I am confused by the difference between "accounts you follow" and "accounts you care about"; is the latter actually "the accounts our heuristics think you may want to see?"
sounds like twitter's notification feed when you've +'d to receive push notifications for certain accounts

mostly for celebrities and time-sensitive things i'm assuming

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
good riddance to bad rubbish. i think gorillas thought about about acquiring one of the popular companies around these parts as well. would probably have been better if they did and closed up shop

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

blastron posted:

How does the AI get enough training data to even remotely represent someone?
dating apps are pretty abysmal on privacy and data collection as it is

lots of fun bits in the report

quote:

Like romantic AI chatbots, the nature of dating apps means they probably need to collect some sensitive and personal information from you. Fine! But we learned that companies often take advantage of that and use your personal information for reasons unrelated to love. They often say they can share it, sell it, or just don’t do the bare minimum to keep that data secure. At a time when the popularity of AI integration and AI-powered deepfakes means we need better privacy protections, dating apps seem to be doubling down on their bad-for-privacy practices. Dating apps just can’t get enough of your data!

Twenty two of the 25 (88%) dating apps we reviewed come with *Privacy Not Included.

i guess the good news is that if you shared your data with one of the companies that owns like half of all dating apps, they can just let their other companies access the data free of charge

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
good lord man

https://x.com/MikeIsaac/status/1792444618715672924

imagine being that voice actor

e: i just remembered this tweet lol. i'm sure the lawyers loved that

https://x.com/sama/status/1790075827666796666

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't know whether publishing this thing or altman's "her" was the dumbest thing, but do openai just not have any adults running things. at least johansson's lawyers will be putting their kids through college

quote:

We support the creative community and collaborated with the voice acting industry

We support the creative community and worked closely with the voice acting industry to ensure we took the right steps to cast ChatGPT’s voices. Each actor receives compensation above top-of-market rates, and this will continue for as long as their voices are used in our products.

We believe that AI voices should not deliberately mimic a celebrity's distinctive voice—Sky’s voice is not an imitation of Scarlett Johansson but belongs to a different professional actress using her own natural speaking voice. To protect their privacy, we cannot share the names of our voice talents.
https://openai.com/index/how-the-voices-for-chatgpt-were-chosen/