Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Orkiec posted:

There's been talk on increasing the minimum salary of H1B applicants to $130K. I feel like that's too high and should be weighted compared to market salaries for developers in the area, but it would cut down on those kind of companies.

130 is too low, should be at least 140, probably 150. My guess is we fill every single available slot at 150.

The goddamn implementation for 89% of H1 b workers now is like a Spanish galley, you work and you pull at the oars and one loving sick day and you're back 20 miles from Bangalore.

Meanwhile, people that have lived here for 10 years and make enough to have a house and a family in Marin County have to fight tooth and nail to keep their H1B.

I say gently caress the h1-b and give them green cards, and let them find their own value in the marketplace. And let families over on the green cards while were at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
God drat read this. I've done enough time in restaurants to see exactly what this guy is talking about.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Aha, anything that can colonize space will look more like a tech nightmare than a human. Sci-fi is fun but space is loving hostile to beings that evolved for gravity and a magnetosphere.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

HootTheOwl posted:

This guy went to Harvard

Lol, I went to (dropped out of) Chicago and I totally grok that NFTs are bullshit designed to separate suckers from money. Do I grok a prize?

Edit: also, ‘grok’ in 1990 2021? Lol loser.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 25, 2021

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ruffian Price posted:

Nvidia promised a 65" spec for computer displays and then revealed they'll still have Android on board :sigh:
Lol, scaling their phone stuff into a new market is easy. They would have no idea how to spin a $0.50 micro that lets you switch inputs and maybe adjust backlight.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

This Is the Zodiac posted:

When 3D TVs were a thing, 3D sports broadcasts seemed like the perfect hook to bring people in, but none of the pro leagues ever bought in on it.

Aha, I was (marginally) part of that with the NBA. Everybody loved it until they realized that they needed to shoot it twice, and nobody without a zillion dollar setup AND 3D glasses would ever watch the 3D version. Plus they shot HFR and infinite depth-of-field so watching the dude in the stands pick his nose was just as interesting as the game, more so after you’ve seen the same footage a few times.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Most of the repair places around here are ‘Apple Certified’ and can do these kinds of repairs. Apple even sends people to some of them instead of the Apple store that’s really close by making appointments available sooner.

Not fanboying Apple but that seems to me a missed point.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I can’t even imagine the cost to build and staff the Star Wars ride in that video.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I connected my dishwasher to Wi-Fi thinking I could tweak obscure settings, such as drying agent amounts. Nope, just the same controls that are on the front, without even differentiating by model. Garbage

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I once actually had to prove I previously worked at a company like 7 years previously that no longer existed; it was absorbed into larger companies and he history was long gone. Eventually I found a pay stub. This was enough.

And the hiring company really wanted me, it was nuts.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Apple ruthlessly dropping support for Intel-based products isn’t a surprise. I’m old enough that I spent student loan money on a Motorola-based ‘power Mac’, and I’ll still paying it off.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

withak posted:

Maybe OP should teach their kid that pickles and ketchup are fine and then they could order off the menu.

Sounds good until you have a child that will literally rather starve themselves than eat something that has mixed smooth and crunchy textures. Agonizing as a parent.

They do grow out of it, eventually.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Conversely US staff makes 30-50% more. How housing / COLA scales I have no idea.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

cat botherer posted:

Weird how all software development methodologies still wind up producing worthless trash, way behind schedule.
I’ve worked on multiple projects that produced good- enough-to-sell trash. And if it sold it’s not worthless.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

cat botherer posted:

You can sell it, but you are also making the world a worse place. Of course, there's no good software and the whole thing wasn't a great idea in retrospect.
Agreed, which is why I now make actually-useful equipment with lasers and cool loud audio. :coolfish:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zachack posted:

As a Volt owner …free onstar service that let me remote lock/precondition/honk my car ended
They keyfob remote start works. If your car isn’t line-of sight you can pay a little extra to go month-to-month and just get it during winter.

The Volt is the only car I ever had that I actually love, but the disgusting cramming techniques they use for OnStar left a bad feeling that hasn’t dissipated. Go GM, making me consider ignoring you for my next $35k purchase in exchange for not even getting that $15/mo recurring revenue.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rent-A-Cop posted:

ChatGPT is still reliably detectable with simple resex based word filters if you actually care to moderate your content.
Any tool used to detect this poo poo can be used as a adversary to refine the model. It’s a goddamn nightmare. A Tech Nightmare if you will.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Different options, starting from photo DRM to running ML models that are trained to detect forgery. …
I don’t even do AI but I’m dying to hook up the detectors to the generators in a mutual GAN to train each other.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Bing one sucks for technical questions that you can’t find with Bing/Google trivially, it just repeats the top Bing answers slightly reworded (and patently wrong) then links to them.

It’s worse than normal Bing because you need to wait for that stupid pretend typing bullshit and you get only one wrong answer or right answer to the wrong question). I like to eliminate an entire page of wrong or irrelevant links on a guess, thanks.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Actually the way these ai systems work is an awful lot like an acid trip. They have a bunch of random signals that they try and recognize, which layers slight distortions that make it look more like a particular object as it shifts around. It repeats this until it's ability to recognize objects is convinced the pseudorandom blob in front of it is Sean Connery in a leprechaun outfit. It draws this and tells the world it met Sean Connery on a spirit journey.
I know that’s how “AI” does this, but do we actually know that’s how psychedelics work? I’ve read postulates* about dreams being pattern recognition trying to do something with random stimulus but had no idea if this was mainstream or nut job.

*Technically I didn’t read this I said it when I was high.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I hooked my Samsung dishwasher up to the home network because the manual implied there were settings not available elsewhere. There were not any new settings, just a horrible UI for doing the equivalent of pushing the buttons on the door. Who would start their dishwasher remotely when they weren’t near it? It’s the thing you do right after you add detergent.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Holy poo poo a tech journalist doing journalism. I mean he tried to give douchebeard a way out again and again, but ultimately did his job. drat.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Medium is monthly pay-for-site and substack is optional pay-per-writer, price determined by writer (free is fine). Like Patreon exclusively for writing. I’ve been told its pretty well done as a platform. But as a the interview covers, there’s no discovery, so twitter serves that purpose.

If Elon had a quarter of a brain he’d buy substack at a huge discount or rip it off, not have a fit that they’re trying to fix their own problems. Given his drive to monetize the site I’d bet that’s underway anyway as a shittier version of OF/ Patreon.

Given substack’s median user they should have merged with Truth Social.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Monetization based on ad impressions, lol.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Until a few years ago I had a car with a cassette player, and this one cassette I bought from a college band was always in there and got a lot of play even though I had bluetooth.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Chrome is literally designed to make it easier to sell and serve ads.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

StratGoatCom posted:

…the reading of fair use that these things were built in has likely been ended by Warhol…
Yes! Reading that decision this morning blew my mind, it seemed so clear that plagiarizing a bunch of copyrighted X for the purposes of making more X is a no go.

Is there a decent discussion on this someplace? I’m now sure that I’m not the first person to notice this now, even though my google search on the topic came up dry.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Zachack posted:

Also it has a 2-hour battery life which makes them using Avatar 2 as an example pretty funny.
I thought it could also tether?

There's a market opening for least-goofy-looking VR headset, and since HoloLens is AR and being discontinued, this means Apple wins by default.

I want one of these just to put a skull in the front-facing window.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Reproducible psudorandom beats this poo poo out of true random for just about anything except deployed cryptography.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Did Google leak that YT training data issue (I bet some TOC someplace allows it) to distract from that EU finding that their manipulation of ad markets is even worse than most cynical takes?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/06/google-may-soon-be-ordered-to-break-up-its-lucrative-ad-business-eu-warns/

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Kroger is a union shop, so using the self-checkout is scabbing.

Kroger is also damned close to a monopoly, so they don’t need to staff appropriately.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rhandhali posted:

Yeah, 10,000 dollars for installing two chargers sounds insane.
When I bought my Volt (PHEVs rule) my buddy told me that he was quoted $1500 for an ev outlet and $100 for a dryer outlet using the same NEMA socket. Luckily I had a 240v setup in my garage already for an arc welder.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Huh, just occurred to me that taking a date to my office might be a good idea.

Since it’s a tiny office with state-of-the-art theatrical projectors, immersive sound, and a couch.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve been following this a bit, imo he’s incredibly guilty but also got bad representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Mega Comrade posted:

Google bought Nest.
Nest is a GREAT thermostat, but I’m not letting it communicate outside of my house. I mean drat they nailed the UI of a little circle for hvac control.