Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're on the old-fashioned cycle where there are actually discrete releases, I think crunch time with comp time afterward is fine. It's like finals week -- work like mad, then vacation. It's crunch time that lasts for months (or is permanent) that's obscene.

Problem is that if you have crunch time to get a release out on schedule, then it isn't vacation time after the release but instead it is crunch time again to fix all of the terrible crap that gone done wrong in a hurry at the last minute to meet the schedule. Fixing all of the stuff leaves you behind schedule for the next release and therefore your have to start release crunch time even earlier than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Internal social networking sites aren't unusual in any huge company these days. I work for a huge engineering (actual engineering, not software) consulting firm and we have one.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Can't you... just make it yourself with some eggs and a whisk?

Wouldn't be artisanal unless you are a certified mayonnaise artisan.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Soylent guy is not having success in disrupting the housing industry

edit: I guess I took too long to paste this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I actually bought a car from them after being 150% skeeved out by IRL car salesmen and it went fine.

edit: They did recently got in touch with me (~1 year after) wanting to sell me an extended warranty so maybe their business model isn't as lucrative as they planned.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 1, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I was researching Beepi the only negative reviews that I found were from people who were pissed their car was turned down, and other used car dealers who were pissed that they didn't have some mandatory signs posted at their location (they don't have a location that customers ever see).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Konstantin posted:

Artificially inflating sales figures by buying your own product happens all the time in the publishing industry. It's not surprising that startups would try the same thing.

Politicians love this. Have your campaign buy a lot of copies of your book to hand out and you can push yourself up the bestseller list while also diverting campaign contributions to yourself and your publisher.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Boot and Rally posted:

My entire family has been using the same number for 20+ years, linked with an address from that time. Even if they wanted to advertise at the humans associated with that number, I have no idea how they would.

I just punch in my area code then 867-5309 for the discount.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/08/silicon-valley-is-hostile-to-diversity-says-slack-engineering-director-leslie-miley/

Check out the comments here if you are a connoisseur of internet people explaining how the tech industry actually isn't racist.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've always wanted a way to communicate with businesses that matter to me.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I like how you can read the entire article and still not be sure exactly what WrkRiot (!) did. The author drops only the tiniest of hints in the middle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You can see some of their (now-down) website using the Wayback Machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160829050750/http://www.wrkriot.com/#home-1-section

Scroll down to the Blog section. Unfortunately the posts weren't archived, but the choices of headlines are pretty funny given the whole situation.

This is an elaborate parody, right?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hashtag repeal the 22nd

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also the actual residents of those buildings have to deal with a parade of transients roaming their building.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How much for an hour of this cat's time?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

boner confessor posted:

probably nothing. other advertisers do this all the time, targeting pitches by zip code, channel, radio station, etc. facebook has just built such a sophisticated marketing apparatus that they can specifically filter out left handed retirees who like golf, so they can also filter out racial minorities with ease

it's not that facebook is doing something unprecedented here - every advertiser wishes they had that level of granularity. i think rather it's the straightforwardness with which advertising can be targeted like this that shocks people

Housing specifically is a thing where offering the option to filter the audience by race looks really bad.

edit: Which is basically the subject of the article, which I should have read before posting.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 28, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

There's nothing wrong with this. If you run a Facebook page and you want to advertise to a certain demographic, it's ok to get options.
What if you sell skin treatments that are mostly applicable to whites than to black or Asians? Or if you're selling Ebony magazine, excluding whites and Latinos would get you more of your target demographic

Problem is they also let you do that filtering when you are advertising for housing, which skates pretty close to (if not directly into) some civil rights violations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
These days if most of your business comes via the internet then you are a tech company.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They plug in to their laptops to charge, not to transfer stuff tho.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every once in a while my work computer pops up a message saying that the printer is temporarily making xerographic adjustments when I try to print.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Car salesmen are literally the worst people you will ever talk to.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

Fair enough. Most of my experience is usually Uber/Taxi to the nearest BART station, and it always feels like its 8 bucks on Uber and maybe 10-12 + 2 tip for a Taxi. That is a significant difference, but still makes Uber's huge undercutting of Taxi's pretty shocking.

You can thank some VC chump for paying the difference between your Uber fare and what it actually costs to drive you from place to place.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

Yes and I think the entire point is that this is unsustainable? Also, that Uber is not 40% the cost of a taxi ride but they are charging only 40% of what it costs to transport. How long can a company use investor capital to pay for 60% of a taxi ride?

We might find out pretty soon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
A fully automated fleet could probably be designed to reduce empty trips quite a bit compared to a human driver waiting for their next fare.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

moebius2778 posted:

Didn't John Glenn die kinda recently?

Yeah he is basically saying "one might think that startup bros have it rough, but actually astronauts are the real heroes"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

at first I was like yeah uber's gonna get all the deregulations they want but then I remembered that those regulations are controlled at municipal levels and Trump can't do poo poo about them

Until Uber goes out of their way to set up some service that crosses state lines, creating a new category of interstate commerce which would require the Trump administration to step in and produce some new regulations. The new regulations would allow them to do whatever they want.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah if I have to be constantly poised to grab the wheel at any sign of trouble then I would rather just drive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feral Integral posted:

Uber wants to put 'autonomous' cars on the road that actually require a driver. But since the driver is under the impression that the car is autonomous, they are certainly going to slack off at some point and let the car drive itself while they post on some awful forum on the internet. The car then careens into the bike line or crossing guard or whatever the anomaly du jour is and murders people.

Uber then still refuses to pay the $150 for the license

Best part is that liability will be on the independent contractor sitting in the driver's seat for not following the rules.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

NewForumSoftware posted:

Automating 90% of the driving (highways) is still going to result in a dramatic reduction in accidents/deaths.

Yeah, a cruise control that can keep you in your lane, maintain a safe distance from other cars, and sound an obnoxious alarm to wake up the zoned-out driver when something weird happens would solve so many problems.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
To wear with your steampunk corset which has gears glued on it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Elon Musk says he's going to start boring a tunnel in LA in a month. The city of LA says he doesn't have the permits. Ah, the smell of disruption in the morning!

I am viciously hoping that Musk and Thiel are feeling at least a little pain at Trump's announcement that he's cutting *all* H1-B visas. I have my issues with the program, but obliterating it doesn't really seem like a solution.

As someone who work in the tunneling business, I'm lolling pretty hard at this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

Except we don't live in a world where a new 12 lane limited access highway would be created, because it is economically and politically unfeasible, and sometimes even physically impossible. New construction is so lagged behind demand for it that spending 50 million to add another lane to a freeway already way beyond capacity doesn't do poo poo.

It doesn't do poo poo because it turns out the right way to fix a freeway beyond capacity is to reduce demand, not increase capacity.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should have only done it for trips to the airport.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also had a good experience buying a car from them. Hopefully someone steps up to fill that gap because talking to car salesmen always makes me feel like I need a shower.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Doesn't Carmax involve going to actual B&M locations?

edit: It looks like Carmax is basically a huge used car dealership chain (in that they buy cars from some people and resell them to others) that happens to have a fancy website. Beepi et al. was more like an online service connecting buyers and sellers and taking a cut of the sale in exchange for an inspection and adding some warranty/guarantee afterwards.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 31, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm plotting those two points and drawing drawing an exponential curve through them before I decide how much to invest.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IMO most in-person checkout complaints could be reduced significantly if stores used the One Big Line design instead of the Many Small Lines design.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baby Babbeh posted:

Queuing theory is pretty well established on this point: the most efficient setup is one big line feeding into many cashiers, if you've got the space to swing it. If you've ever been in a Fry's Electronics, basically that. This setup is as much as 3X as efficient as multiple small lines.

The reason for this is that people checkout at dramatically different rates. Whenever a slow person is checking out, the entire line behind them stops moving. However, under the one long line, multiple tellers scenario, the line is constantly moving. Slow checkouts are usually a minority, so this works well.

So why doesn't everyone use this layout? Space, for one thing -- you need to set aside enough room for the single long line, and it's not always workable in a smaller-footprint store. It can create the perception that the line is really long, even if it is moving much faster, which makes it less popular with shoppers. And finally, it's rare that a store is busy enough to actually need this much efficiency, and having some line is preferable because it creates the impression that the store is popular. That's why a lot of department stores adopt it during the holidays when they're slammed by greater-than-normal traffic, even if they normally use multiple small lines.

One Big Line also eliminates the process where people clog the front of the store as they carefully evaluate each line to determine (probably incorrectly) which is likely to be fastest.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 8, 2017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Let us dispel once and for all with this fiction that the rich give any fucks about their employees beyond what it takes to keep the profits rolling in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

I can't tell if that quote from the BBC is in support or opposition to his candidacy.

Regardless, I think it would be cool to have a Governor Zoltan.