Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How is Adobe a Backbone Platform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

There was an NPR story about the google calls. I can't remember if it was a google guy talking about it or some "tech guy" talking about it, but they were saying how businesses could also have AI answer their phones to answer questions so sometime soon your AI will call a number and talk to another AI.

How horribly slow an inefficient.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Having lived in pittsburgh with its rats nest of one way streets, bus drivers who don't give a gently caress, and crazy hills, it seems like the worst city for autonomous vehicles.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Yeah but if you flunk algebra you don't take calculus the next semester.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

There's a bike climbing ride there every year that's impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQXcFg0i2c

This brings back memories :allears: My husband had to bike to class every day for a semester. Driving a manual transmission car was a lot of fun as well.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Doggles posted:

$120 to rent the software for a year is significantly more than paying $70 to upgrade once every few years.

For hobbyist, it might not be worth it. For me to do some freelance side gigs, I'd much rather pay $10 a month rather than $1000 straight shot. I also tend to use a lot of other adobe software for the things I do (After Effects, Audition, etc) so it has been significantly cheaper doing the subscription model. Its also a lot easier for my students to get it. Student versions of these softwares weren't free. Ultimately, its cheaper for my students to pay the subscription than an "Academic" license.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Google making GBS threads itself right now is a lot of fun.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Weatherman posted:

Everyone I've ever known or seen with an automatic parks by putting the shifter into park and then engaging the handbrake. Why put that stress on the transmission when the brake is designed to do that exact job?

I never knew people didn't use their handbrakes! Maybe its because I've mostly driven manual transmission cars or because I went to college in Pittsburgh, but I religiously use mine.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Google home has been nice for kids. I have one in their room with 1 smart outlet. I can have it play music at night and keep a light on and have it go off at a specific time. If I hear the toddler wake up and get fussy I can go into my phone and turn the music back on without having to get out of bed. It's also great for time out alarms.

I also have fun broadcasting messages through it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I teach an intro to game programming course at a community college. It's meant for students to take their first semester. It's fascinating the things students struggle with computer literacy-wise during their first few weeks. We tell them the first day they need a base level of computer skills for the course. I can't teach people how to use a mouse (this has happened). I'd say the big two are file management and typing ability.

I know it happened a few pages back, but I wanted to add to the Adobe chat. I have very mixed feelings about that company. I use a lot of their software, especially since they acquired one of the companies I use a lot for game art. They have a really great pricing model for students. Some of it is completely free for students too. I try my best to choose professional software for them that they don't have to pay anything for or is a lot cheaper. I remember having to pirate Photoshop/Premiere/After Effects when I was in college because I couldn't afford it and my school computer lab wasn't 24/7. When you're using multiple software packages it's nice when they just talk so well to each other to make your life easier.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid's rooms each have a smart plug with a string of christmas lights and a google home mini. It's been incredibly handy to be able to remotely turn on/off lights and music in their room. I can turn on my toddler's sleepytime playlist from my phone if I hear him wake up in the middle of the night rather than go in there and get him riled up.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What is the new hotness in ad blockers? Almost every website I visit yells about Adblock Plus now.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

A Tesla careened off an overpass and the news' hot take is we need more cops, not holy poo poo Tesla murdered that guy: https://www.wral.com/man-dead-after-car-crashes-falls-to-i-40-in-durham/20258502/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

fool of sound posted:

Alternatively, Teslas for cops??

Got you covered. This is the town south of that.
https://www.reddit.com/r/raleigh/comments/t56gc7/if_youre_wondering_why_cary_speed_traps_are/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

What would be the legality of having or creating AI generated CP?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The LG finished jingle is very similar to the Majora's Mask town song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0kXVfqPrLs

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Blut posted:

I'm shocked so many people in the tech thread are actually still grocery shopping in person, self checkouts or not. As of mid 2022 about 60% of people in the UK buy at least some of their groceries online, 16% all of their groceries online. And those figures are going up consistently year to year.

It takes all of 2 minutes to re-add all the usuals from a week ago once a week, and it gets delivered right to your door at a time that suits you. I couldn't imagine going back to having to travel to a grocery store, wander around it, bring all the bags back etc. Its hours a week saved.

My weekly shopping trip is one of the few quiet times I get out of the house without my kids and its not related to work. Don't take that from me.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

All professors know this trick: "Woops! Sorry! Wrong submission. Can I resubmit?" Are they going to submit "corrupted" files next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

Autonomous electric buses for the combo. It's the perfect use case since they follow set routes

Only if its called Trolly and goes Ding Ding! When you talk to it.